Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

This rear end in a top hat virus can go to hell. All I have is a sore throat at night / in the mornings and pretty mild cough but the interaction between these two symptoms is enough to wake me up throughout the night. I'm so tired :(

Edit:

:coronatoot: :synpa:

bossy lady fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Got my booster today! My first two shots were Pfizer and this was a Moderna. So far my arm hurts a bit but otherwise no side effects

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

I tested negative a day and a half ago, and I’m starting to feel like poo poo. I’m wondering if it’s jet lag affecting it but I also feel like how I felt from my second vaxx.

Iiiiim thinking it might be time for another test.

E: took it, I can get more if I need to ffs. I’m feeling real lovely so I may ask for my partner to get another one tomorrow and get some food to stock up on just in case.

E2: Negative, but I’m absolutely going to see what I can get and try testing once a day. I usually end up sick every time I fly out of JFK, but this seems too close for comfort.

TW's plane talking off, except it's viral plumes instead of fire:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
My dumbass antivax brother's baby got Covid so we didn't have to see him on Christmas. We were going to see him on Sunday instead.

Now my dumbass antivax brother has Covid so we get out of having to spend any time with him or his Fox News appearing dumbass antivax wife.

All in all, this worked out pretty well. 8/10, would Covid again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just don't see my family this year or any other year anyway

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

my family and my girl's family are all triple-vaxxed except for my brother (works for water treatment, never gets days off, HR and supe both said tough poo poo if you get side-effects that will prevent you from coming to work because I didn't, absolutely wishes he was) and we had a nice christmas rolling over the last week and nobody is sick.

My dad's idiot girlfriend and her unvaxxed family all got it but thankfully she tested positive the day before she left texas for NM.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Welp, I may have covid. Mom felt sick after visiting my niece across the country, got an antigen test and PCR and the former came back negative, and due to miscommunication assumed the PCR test was negative, too, and that she just had a cold. Yesterday the lab called and said the PCR test was positive. She was never that sick, never lost smell or taste, had mostly sinus symptoms, so I'm assuming it was Omicron.

I've been feeling fine, but I'm getting an antigen test tomorrow and will follow up with a PCR. And now my hypochondriac tendencies are making me wonder if I'm feeling just a wee bit feverish myself.

Double Moderna + Moderna booster here.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Omicron has more cold-like symptoms than other variants. Loss of smell and taste are less common too.

Wishing everyone who’s got it now a speedy recovery :unsmith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1476330805400064007

I feel like "good" is pretty objective when I know people who were in line for over four hours today, so perhaps it's more about a populace that is actually motivated to be tested than anything, but this is an important thing to observe

Anyone else notice that the hospitalization curves peaked at the same point as the infection curves in the first 2 waves, and now just appear to be offset? Like this is showing that London's infection curve has already peaked, but their hospitalization curve is still growing. That's different from the earlier peaks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

5 year old got his second pfizer shot yesterday and has been having a real rough go of it today; fever, joint pain, just generally grouchy. Sucks to see but better than covid for sure (hopefully he doesn't just have that through bad luck)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

teen witch posted:

I tested negative a day and a half ago, and I’m starting to feel like poo poo. I’m wondering if it’s jet lag affecting it but I also feel like how I felt from my second vaxx.

Iiiiim thinking it might be time for another test.

E: took it, I can get more if I need to ffs. I’m feeling real lovely so I may ask for my partner to get another one tomorrow and get some food to stock up on just in case.

E2: Negative, but I’m absolutely going to see what I can get and try testing once a day. I usually end up sick every time I fly out of JFK, but this seems too close for comfort.

The pharmacies by me are all out of home tests, you may want to check local stock before going through all of your tests

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Delta and Omicron don't cause the loss of smell or at least it's not as common.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Sam’s Club has been a decent source for rapid tests. Check their website often for BinaxNOW tests. You don’t need to be a member to buy them. I got mine a few days after purchasing.

ihealthlabs.com is also a source that a bunch of goons are using.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone else notice that the hospitalization curves peaked at the same point as the infection curves in the first 2 waves, and now just appear to be offset? Like this is showing that London's infection curve has already peaked, but their hospitalization curve is still growing. That's different from the earlier peaks.

for the first wave in march/april 2020, it's probably explainable by the fact that testing wasn't as easily available, so a lot of people would test positive for the first time at the hospital when admitted. so you wouldn't expect much lag between case counts and hospitalizations.

the horizontal axis on the chart is pretty compact, but there does seem to be a bit of an offset in the 2nd wave. i think you just need to look closer.

for the omicron wave, i think the new cases plot in the uk is just incomplete or they took a snapshot during the holiday weekend. cases are still going up, and the uk just set a record for new cases recorded on the 29th (~183k https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/), so the infection curve has not already peaked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Purchase posted:

cases are still going up, and the uk just set a record for new cases recorded on the 29th (~183k https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/), so the infection curve has not already peaked.

Here's London-specific case data: https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/coronavirus--covid-19--cases

There was a dip in case reporting around Christmas which will be effecting the smoothed averages line and possibly making it look like it peaked, plus recent data is incomplete. We'll have to wait a few days before we know whether it actually peaked or not.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lukehgomes/status/1476410800793210883

Won't someone please think of the private industry?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

No they didn't, apart from in the first wave where testing was pretty much only happening when you got to hospital.

For the OG/Alpha wave last winter peak cases were 29th December, peak admissions were 12th Jan. For the Delta wave post-Freedom Day peak cases were 15th July, peak admissions 2nd September.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
am I the only one around here who had a lovely Christmas alone with my kids and didn't catch covid?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

learnincurve posted:

am I the only one around here who had a lovely Christmas alone with my kids and didn't catch covid?

Don't know yet

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/health/johnson-vaccine-booster-omicron.html

J&J is good again

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The pharmacies by me are all out of home tests, you may want to check local stock before going through all of your tests

Yeah the one my partner is just about to go to is out* and poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo. He might check the other spots in town but this looks like it might be the beginning of a lack of supply.

*according to the website

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Day 2 - Headache has much improved, temperature has finally stablised. However, according to my body, "coughing until you throw up" is now the hot new thing this season.

Stay strong, fellow COVIDers. I can't believe I spent two years keeping it out of my place, only to go down like this. I was one of the very few people I know that used handwash every time I saw it, always wore a mask, got my shots when i was supposed to, and disinfected my groceries. All to no avail.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

learnincurve posted:

My wife and I visited my parents. As far as I know at this point, we're all fine.

RGX posted:

Day 2 - Headache has much improved, temperature has finally stablised. However, according to my body, "coughing until you throw up" is now the hot new thing this season.

Stay strong, fellow COVIDers. I can't believe I spent two years keeping it out of my place, only to go down like this. I was one of the very few people I know that used handwash every time I saw it, always wore a mask, got my shots when i was supposed to, and disinfected my groceries. All to no avail.

A friend of mine had a breakthrough case as well after being insanely cautious since the beginning. She was really excited for this Christmas because she could finally see her parents again. Now she's sick, but thankfully it's just a mild headache and some coughing and sneezing. Just remember you could be in a much worse position now if you weren't vaxxed or had caught this months ago.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

A Fancy Hat posted:

A friend of mine had a breakthrough case as well after being insanely cautious since the beginning. She was really excited for this Christmas because she could finally see her parents again. Now she's sick, but thankfully it's just a mild headache and some coughing and sneezing. Just remember you could be in a much worse position now if you weren't vaxxed or had caught this months ago.

For certain, its important to retain perspective. Interestingly, I've been asking around everyone I know who tested positive at the same time as me and we all have identical symptoms, including different stages over different days, without ever having met up. This thing seems to follow a very distinct pattern if you have your jabs, and those who are a couple of days ahead of me are now all fine, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thankyou for the good logic there mate, I needed to hear that. Salut.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/lukehgomes/status/1476410800793210883

Won't someone please think of the private industry?

In the purest of terms, go and gently caress yourself with a rusty shovel you insufferable tory cumstains this isn't the Aus thread.

I hope scomo gets hit by a truck and catches covid in the hospital ward. His ambivalence continues to cost countless lives.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Had lunch with a few old friends on Tuesday. Woke up yesterday with a scratchy throat and feeling just a little off and got a text shortly thereafter from one of them saying he tested positive .

I went to 3 different places yesterday to get a home test and all were out. Wife read me an announcement last night that the entire state of Maryland are out of home tests.

I figure I have it, but have no way of knowing, and am happy that I was boosted just before Christmas. Cancelled New Years plans and am staying put instead.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mu Zeta posted:

Delta and Omicron don't cause the loss of smell or at least it's not as common.

i got delta last month and lost my sense of smell. my test of recovery was taking copious sniffs of the top of a jar of mustard. started out feeling nothing, not even the non-smell aspects you'd expect like pain/burning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That sucks there are no tests to confirm. At least with the “loss of smell” symptom you could tell it wasn’t a common cold. Now nothing obvious.

On another topic, has there been anything written on why some states haven’t really seen any Omicron peak yet? I’d expect something so contagious to spread faster across the country than that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I thought loss of smell was really prominent with Delta but not omicron?

Both my wife and my breakthrough cases this summer and fall were likely Delta and the main symptom was complete loss of smell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spoiled millennial not happy with unprecedentedly fast spread

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I thought loss of smell was really prominent with Delta but not omicron?

Both my wife and my breakthrough cases this summer and fall were likely Delta and the main symptom was complete loss of smell.

Anecdotal, but I work in covid response and it's been very characteristic with the cases I've dealt with (all of which would've been Delta)

It's too early in my area to really say if it's common with Omicron but I have noticed it becoming less and less reported in the last few weeks

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean it kinda makes sense, not making your host lose its sense of smell or taste allows the virus to spread more because the host isn't quarantining.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Anecdotal, but I work in covid response and it's been very characteristic with the cases I've dealt with (all of which would've been Delta)

It's too early in my area to really say if it's common with Omicron but I have noticed it becoming less and less reported in the last few weeks

Go to Amazon, search for Yankee Candle, pick one and sort reviews by most recent, track the amount of people giving 1 star "Doesn't smell of anything" reviews. At this point it should be part of state covid dashboards.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Go to Amazon, search for Yankee Candle, pick one and sort reviews by most recent, track the amount of people giving 1 star "Doesn't smell of anything" reviews. At this point it should be part of state covid dashboards.

Yeah I've seen that, made me lmao

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No they didn't, apart from in the first wave where testing was pretty much only happening when you got to hospital.

For the OG/Alpha wave last winter peak cases were 29th December, peak admissions were 12th Jan. For the Delta wave post-Freedom Day peak cases were 15th July, peak admissions 2nd September.

Every loving wave people forget that tons of admissions data is backfilled (due to reporting/processing delays) and then is usually entered for the date admitted.

Those historical peaks you're looking at did not look like that in real-time.

This is usually an even bigger problem with death data.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

The strategy shift is "get back to work and die"

The agonizing choices are between doing literally anything at all and doing nothing. Biden/Harris have chosen to do nothing. "There is no federal response"

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
The official lib stance is now "We can't let the cure be worse than the disease". Congrats everyone we did it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

styls trill epic posted:

The official lib stance is now "We can't let the cure be worse than the disease". Congrats everyone we did it.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1476338743783026691

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

going full cultist and just screaming "breathe the air you were meant to breathe" at people while ripping off masks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Was able to get covid tests from ihealthlabs. Same test is on Amazon but a couple bucks more expensive. We'll see how long it takes to get here. I don't need to test but getting some just in case