Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

every us president since my birth only increase my brain aids, fucc me and succ me please daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

redneck nazgul posted:

i hope RL quidditch still has the little ball that makes harry always win and completely invalidates the rest of the game and players

even in a world where 11 year old children are given death sticks and sent to a school where someone gets accidently murdered each year, quidditch is the dumbest and most dangerous part of the school

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Dixon Chisholm posted:

My cat might die tonight. Add it to the pile.

My condolences, that's the pits.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

General Bullshit posted:

I just logged into an email account that I haven't read in 9 months and I see that Bernie Sanders sold my address to every Democrat sicko.

nah he probably gave it away as a gesture of good faith

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Dixon Chisholm posted:

My cat might die tonight. Add it to the pile.

i had to put one of my dogs down about a month ago, im sorry its rough as hell

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

jeffrey how much to wordfilter "the" into "THEE"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The Nastier Nate posted:

nah he probably gave it away as a gesture of good faith

One of the emails was from a Troop that is running solely on "protecting our democracy" which is a fantastic scam.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn even I know better than to post in D&D after they couldn't stand the heat of their own fuckin thunderdome, the loving coward rape apologists. The loving ghouls.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Posting in d&d is like playing the sun stare game. Is it painful in the immediate and potentially long term harmful? Sure. But I still stared at it the longest!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Against my better judgement, I answered a liberal who asked what problems people had with the Democratic party.

Which led the shithead to the "but Republicans" excuse, and after being reminded that they control both houses as well as the executive branch and not requiring a single Republican vote, the dumb motherfucker then accused me of being a complainer and offering no solutions.

I will say that my response was ...less than constructive.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

Posting in d&d is like playing the sun stare game. Is it painful in the immediate and potentially long term harmful? Sure. But I still stared at it the longest!

openly libeling the average D&D poster or mod can be done without actually having to engage with the chimo-adjacent assholes.

And if they wanna post in here about it, it's their fuckin funeral. But they'll probably post in QCS about how unfair it is that they can't punish goons outside of their domain for the obvious wrongthink of calling a death camp a death camp.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Dec 30, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

what loving brain damage do i have that made me think that interacting with uspol was remotely a good idea.

covid?

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uh, the PPP program was about maintaining existing employment, not creating new jobs. Companies could do things like stock buybacks if they kept the PPP funds separate, and the condition for loan forgiveness was if the money from the loan went into payroll and they maintained present employment levels. It was a broad-spectrum stimulus bailout to keep companies from downsizing during the pandemic, which...is what they did if they wanted to keep the money (or "keep" it, since they had to spend it). A lot of companies that weren't under payroll pressure just took the money, used it for payroll, and pocketed the equivalent amount from their holdings. This happened a lot because the loans weren't means-tested past some pretty broad employee count criteria. There was also some pretty widely reported fraud from companies making up employee count documentation. Companies didn't have to post new job openings; the entire "due diligence" claim has no relation to the PPP program's requirements. The rest of the thread is nonsensical past that point, which is pretty early on.

Look, here's the information about the forgiveness requirements.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not reading all of that bullshit. Congratulations or sorry that it happened to you.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

think it would have been cool if capitalism embraced respirators and PPE to preserve future gains. way more cool imo, this future is seeming lame as heck so far

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm not reading all of that bullshit. Congratulations or sorry that it happened to you.

You didn't cite the source, so I had to find it, which is a thing you shouldn't do. You claiming I said the book was a collaboration (Shannon assented to it) doesn't mean I actually claimed it.

You are speaking in weird, overbroad generalities about, apparently, the entirety of the social sciences based on your misinterpretation of the subject. As I said in introducing it, I used the model to introduce some really basic concepts and their interrelationships, not because it is the codex of social science understanding of communication.

Like the last several times you've made this assertion, I'm still not saying that people should uncritically trust "mainstream" sources of information. I know you want me to be saying it, but it's still not the case. We do not have the ability to be universally skeptical != "some sources should just be accepted". As in the OP, "'universal skepticism' is frequently just as intellectually lazy as credulity." Saying that bad sources will attack other sources as "mainstream" does not mean that I am endorsing a lack of critical thought toward whatever you're targeting as "mainstream". It means that a source that is attempting to deflect scrutiny can do so by appealing to target audiences by attacking alternate sources as "mainstream". "Mainstream" is an easy term of abuse to not give specific reasons to deal with sources of information you find disagreeable.

Yes, media literacy, evaluating the effects of sources of information based on its mediation, is what this thread is about.

Because you keep being factually wrong about the claims that you use to imply conspiratorial motivations to them. I'm not going to repost the corrections I issued to these items you brought up before because you've repeatedly ignored or mischaracterized them.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still not reading all of that-- all stocked up on the recommended daily amount of horseshit out in the wild as it is today, and I am not about to make this thread any worse than it is already with me posting in it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Catpetter1981 posted:

You didn't cite the source, so I had to find it, which is a thing you shouldn't do. You claiming I said the book was a collaboration (Shannon assented to it) doesn't mean I actually claimed it.

You are speaking in weird, overbroad generalities about, apparently, the entirety of the social sciences based on your misinterpretation of the subject. As I said in introducing it, I used the model to introduce some really basic concepts and their interrelationships, not because it is the codex of social science understanding of communication.

Like the last several times you've made this assertion, I'm still not saying that people should uncritically trust "mainstream" sources of information. I know you want me to be saying it, but it's still not the case. We do not have the ability to be universally skeptical != "some sources should just be accepted". As in the OP, "'universal skepticism' is frequently just as intellectually lazy as credulity." Saying that bad sources will attack other sources as "mainstream" does not mean that I am endorsing a lack of critical thought toward whatever you're targeting as "mainstream". It means that a source that is attempting to deflect scrutiny can do so by appealing to target audiences by attacking alternate sources as "mainstream". "Mainstream" is an easy term of abuse to not give specific reasons to deal with sources of information you find disagreeable.

Yes, media literacy, evaluating the effects of sources of information based on its mediation, is what this thread is about.

Because you keep being factually wrong about the claims that you use to imply conspiratorial motivations to them. I'm not going to repost the corrections I issued to these items you brought up before because you've repeatedly ignored or mischaracterized them.

this professor's entire classroom is asleep or playing games on their phones

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Catpetter1981 posted:

I bet this motherfucker actually bought a tweed jacket with elbow patches in the 21st century

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm not owned, I insist as I shrink and continue smoking a corncob pipe

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Catpetter1981 posted:

There was also some pretty widely reported fraud from companies making up employee count documentation.

Isn't... isn't that what that twitter thread is about? That he thinks is completely debunked?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1476408466055090176?s=20

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Excelzior posted:

I'm not owned, I insist as I shrink and continue smoking a corncob pipe

With a tweed jacket, tho? I would have thought a briar with a slight bend in the stem would have been enough.

Meerschaum, though, that's overdoing it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Matt Gaetz has chosen 'sex trafficking over lawfulness'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

unrelated, I just felt like pointing that out since its topical to the Ghislaine Maxwell verdict today

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

a term like sealioning, but it's swalwelling

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rep Swalwell has chosen farting over everything else

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

"Look mom the hippo is swalwelling"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

He's Kramering into this interview, I'm literally shaking

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1476356458702946311

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/repdonyoung/status/1475606430254305288

thank u for the earmarks president biden

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuckin lmao they're gonna be insisting the zombie outbreak is minor and nothing to worry about right up to the moment the zombies break into their hidey-hole.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trump losing 2020 is turning out great for his 2024 chances. Unless Biden does something big, COVID will become his legacy and Trump will escape unscathed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

today in dumb polling history

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1476365794728628224

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Catpetter1981 posted:

Uh, the PPP program was about maintaining existing employment, not creating new jobs. Companies could do things like stock buybacks if they kept the PPP funds separate, and the condition for loan forgiveness was if the money from the loan went into payroll and they maintained present employment levels. It was a broad-spectrum stimulus bailout to keep companies from downsizing during the pandemic, which...is what they did if they wanted to keep the money (or "keep" it, since they had to spend it). A lot of companies that weren't under payroll pressure just took the money, used it for payroll, and pocketed the equivalent amount from their holdings. This happened a lot because the loans weren't means-tested past some pretty broad employee count criteria. There was also some pretty widely reported fraud from companies making up employee count documentation. Companies didn't have to post new job openings; the entire "due diligence" claim has no relation to the PPP program's requirements. The rest of the thread is nonsensical past that point, which is pretty early on.

Look, here's the information about the forgiveness requirements.

Haha oh word?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2021-elon-musk/
:barf:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're only just now learning that time magazine is garbage?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The long weekend had nothing to do with that dip in reported deaths. Nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

You're only just now learning that time magazine is garbage?

those cowards lost all credibility when they refused to make bin laden person of the year in 2001