Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm enough of a Beatles fan that the new documentary was enthralling to me and I'd have gladly watched another 8+ hours, but I rarely am in the mood to spin one of their albums. I usually prefer listening to stuff I've never heard though, which now that I think of it makes me question why I collect records at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Getting into Kool and the Gang, this is on its way. :dance:

Pretzellogic posted:

Got one for Christmas; it sounds pretty bad. From the needle drop it sounds like there's schmutz in the grooves: a rhythmic grinding that kills the sound. I took it off after a minute or so.

Yeah. First half of Side A was turd city, but the second half improved. I'm checking out Side B later tonight.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think I kind of overplayed The Beatles as a teenager so I don't listen to them often except when I'm in a really specific mood. They still hit like they did then, as long as I'm selective about where and when I play them. I hate it when they're just sort of ambiently on the radio in a store or something, but if I'm out driving around in the mountains and it's a nice sunny 70⁰F spring day, that's when I get that unique special Beatles feeling.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Hey bulldog is v good but for my money the early stuff is actually a little underrated these days. Hard Days Night is wall to wall classics imo

Agree

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Maybe the modern backlash against the Beatles isn't as big as I thought it was originally, or it's just more vocal than some of the backlash of yore. A lot of the Beatles is still fresh to me due to the aforementioned Mom liking greatest hits albums. So yeah I am tired of the hits on Beatles 1 and prefer the deeper cuts in context on the full albums. Beatles Rockband helped greatly in this regard too as there were plenty of songs in it that weren't number ones and I had never heard before, like Helter Skelter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Blue Jay Way is still in my top 3 Beatles songs. It's just eerie in a way that you wouldn't expect

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Old Brown Shoe should have been an a-side!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Maybe the modern backlash against the Beatles isn't as big as I thought it was originally, or it's just more vocal than some of the backlash of yore. A lot of the Beatles is still fresh to me due to the aforementioned Mom liking greatest hits albums. So yeah I am tired of the hits on Beatles 1 and prefer the deeper cuts in context on the full albums. Beatles Rockband helped greatly in this regard too as there were plenty of songs in it that weren't number ones and I had never heard before, like Helter Skelter.

Where do you see backlash?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

In the last few years there's been this obnoxious discourse around the Beatles mainly coming from people in their late 20s-30s. It's just a bunch of idiots acting like making GBS threads on the Beatles is a new and unique take. They never have anything interesting to say and just keep parroting the same poo poo about how boomers suck so music bad and John Lennon was a wife beater. It's so incredibly toxic that I absolutely never mention The Beatles in any online space.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

In the last few years there's been this obnoxious discourse around the Beatles mainly coming from people in their late 20s-30s. It's just a bunch of idiots acting like making GBS threads on the Beatles is a new and unique take. They never have anything interesting to say and just keep parroting the same poo poo about how boomers suck so music bad and John Lennon was a wife beater. It's so incredibly toxic that I absolutely never mention The Beatles in any online space.

That’s different from the 50 year old “Beatles are overrated” discussion I guess.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Generally on the internet, where everyone is a warrior behind the keyboard, but I have seen it on this here forums as well. To be as vague as possible to avoid any call outs and importation of sub forum drama I have seen someone chafe at having the Beatles suggested as a band to listen to in regards to compositional examples and as a way to expand ones musical diet. It was this incident I had in mind. Regardless of whether or not you like the music, the Beatles do know how to write a tune and if you want to write songs it's a good place to start analyzing.

Edit: and what CPL593H said. It's apparently cool to poo poo on the Beatles atm?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I mean, sure, people going "JOHN LENNON WAS A WIFE-BEATER" ("DID YOU HEAR WHAT HP LOVECRAFT NAMED HIS CAT?!") as if no one has ever heard this fact does get old. On the other hand, I don't blame someone who, say, doesn't want to listen to Chris Brown or Dr. Dre (due to their history of domestic abuse) keeping that same energy for John Lennon as well. :shrug: Lord knows I listen to plenty of artists, living or dead, with problematic-as-gently caress personal lives (including some women-beaters, no doubt! Look at James Brown!), but I don't think someone saying "gently caress John Lennon" is automatically being a contrarian hipster rear end in a top hat, you know?

Not to derail, but are there any genres y'all got into due to getting into records? For example, I have hella old country/bluegrass records, but I was also really into that before getting into the hobby. On the other hand, I always kinda liked funk/soul, but now I absolutely Love it and it has quickly expanded into its own section on my shelf.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Generally on the internet, where everyone is a warrior behind the keyboard, but I have seen it on this here forums as well. To be as vague as possible to avoid any call outs and importation of sub forum drama I have seen someone chafe at having the Beatles suggested as a band to listen to in regards to compositional examples and as a way to expand ones musical diet. It was this incident I had in mind. Regardless of whether or not you like the music, the Beatles do know how to write a tune and if you want to write songs it's a good place to start analyzing.

Ok, gotcha. People with extreme Beatles takes in either direction are pretty annoying.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

Not to derail, but are there any genres y'all got into due to getting into records? For example, I have hella old country/bluegrass records, but I was also really into that before getting into the hobby. On the other hand, I always kinda liked funk/soul, but now I absolutely Love it and it has quickly expanded into its own section on my shelf.

I listen to a ton more classical music than I used to. I would tune in to classical radio sometimes but I would rarely know anything about the music that was playing and you’d have to wait sometimes a long time to find out so you could learn more about the composer or the piece, etc. I love how you can pick up basically unplayed classical records for a buck and they have high quality liner notes, etc.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: and what CPL593H said. It's apparently cool to poo poo on the Beatles atm?

People also tend to gloss over the fact that a lot of their impact was in the realm of music production and not just in the actual music they made.

Read After Burning posted:

I mean, sure, people going "JOHN LENNON WAS A WIFE-BEATER" ("DID YOU HEAR WHAT HP LOVECRAFT NAMED HIS CAT?!") as if no one has ever heard this fact does get old. On the other hand, I don't blame someone who, say, doesn't want to listen to Chris Brown or Dr. Dre (due to their history of domestic abuse) keeping that same energy for John Lennon as well. :shrug: Lord knows I listen to plenty of artists, living or dead, with problematic-as-gently caress personal lives (including some women-beaters, no doubt! Look at James Brown!), but I don't think someone saying "gently caress John Lennon" is automatically being a contrarian hipster rear end in a top hat, you know?

Don't get me wrong it's perfectly valid to go "gently caress that poo poo." because John Lennon was a piece of poo poo. My problem is with how people present that fact and how a good many times it's obvious they're just throwing it out there as a criticism to actual music. There is plenty of good and valuable discourse to be had around art and how it relates to creators that range from problematic to outright bad. But I never see that applied here. I just see dipshits screeching "John Lennon was a wife beater." the second anyone so much as mentions the Beatles. It's actually counterproductive because I think the way people bring it up trivializes the discussion to begin with. And bursting in a room and trying to shame people for ever having enjoyed a thing and just yelling the same line about John Lennon being a piece of poo poo is going to make people just tune out that fact and by extension discussion of this sort as it relates to lots of other creators.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I listen to a ton more classical music than I used to. I would tune in to classical radio sometimes but I would rarely know anything about the music that was playing and you’d have to wait sometimes a long time to find out so you could learn more about the composer or the piece, etc. I love how you can pick up basically unplayed classical records for a buck and they have high quality liner notes, etc.
Same here. After I got the prog rock albums I wanted to hear on vinyl, I've been steadily getting back into classical largely because you can get prestige recordings that labels put a lot into for a couple bucks.

Also, African music, except I wish I hadn't because that's not easy to find.

Edit for my Beatles hot take: They get an A+ as songwriters, an A as studio innovators, and a B as musicians/performers. I can't think of another band where pretty much every one of its songs has a cover that's better than the original, but that may also just be because so many A list artists cover the beatles. Nobody bothers to cover Cream.

As evidence may I present
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHIm5AqtXc

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIyUl10ChQ

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5V62wxnWY

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Liner notes > obi strips.

CPL593H posted:

Don't get me wrong it's perfectly valid to go "gently caress that poo poo." because John Lennon was a piece of poo poo. My problem is with how people present that fact and how a good many times it's obvious they're just throwing it out there as a criticism to actual music. There is plenty of good and valuable discourse to be had around art and how it relates to creators that range from problematic to outright bad. But I never see that applied here. I just see dipshits screeching "John Lennon was a wife beater." the second anyone so much as mentions the Beatles. It's actually counterproductive because I think the way people bring it up trivializes the discussion to begin with. And bursting in a room and trying to shame people for ever having enjoyed a thing and just yelling the same line about John Lennon being a piece of poo poo is going to make people just tune out that fact and by extension discussion of this sort as it relates to lots of other creators.

:yeah: Absolutely fuckin' valid.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Any time someone brings up John Lennon was a wife beater

https://www.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998 posted:

NEW ORLEANS—Explaining that casually dropping the little-known fact into conversations “never gets old,” local man Derek Matheson told reporters Monday he always gets a bit of a rush from informing others that John Lennon physically abused his first wife, Cynthia Powell. “Seeing the looks of shock, disbelief, and sadness on people’s faces after I mention that John Lennon couldn’t control his rage and regularly hit women is just such a treat,” said Matheson, who reportedly derives a measure of satisfaction from planting discomfort in the minds of his acquaintances, coworkers, and even strangers at social gatherings by bringing up the biographical detail about the widely beloved musician and peace activist. “I’m always listening for someone to make a comment about the Beatles, and when it happens, I’m ready to jump in and say that not only did John Lennon beat his wife, but he beat his son, too, and that he even admitted to it on multiple occasions. It’s always a nice little thrill.” Matheson added that if people were already aware of the songwriter’s violent side, he also delights in stating that Matthew Broderick killed two women with his car.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ll give the Beatles Abbey Road, the rest of it’s just elevator music to me.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

my dad was always a great Rolling Stones fan versus The Beatles fan (and he often couched his preference in rock music in those terms, ah well), so he didn't mind me raiding his collection for all his Beatles records--not too many left, but I snagged a copy of Hey Jude, Abbey Road, and the 1967-1970 Greatest Hits album. the greatest hits are the only one i regularly spin up

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Hey bulldog is v good but for my money the early stuff is actually a little underrated these days. Hard Days Night is wall to wall classics imo

The early albums are collections of singles and most of their later albums are varying degrees of cohesive albums. Abbey Road is the closest they get to a classic, proper album, and of course they had to quit after it

Anyway a PSA, always read the whole current page before replying!!

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 29, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Abbey Road is really exceptional

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That's the other thing (and what the article parodies) that people incessantly bringing up Lennon was a wife beater are some how shattering a wholesome image of the man and the band. When was the last time the Beatles had that wholesome and innocent look, the debut of the Help movie, maybe? Both Ringo and Paul have talked about all the stupid and unsavory poo poo they got up to back in the day or at least admitted to all the drugs.

Anyways vinyl and genres. Vinyl collecting for me is the end stage of a few years ago, where I opened my neglected folder of mp3s and realized not only had it not changed since 7th grade, it was full of video game music remixes, childhood CD rips, internet meme songs, and poo poo I heard in AMVs. So I embarked on a quest to expand my taste in music by playing thrift store roulette with CDs. Then because I had purchased some records solely for the covers I had a growing desire to actually play them and set about getting the record player up and running shortly before the pandemic.

The net result of listening to all sorts of poo poo has been way more heavy metal and psychedelic bands, an interest in early electronic music, and McCartney solo career albums. 7th grade me would definitely not be listening to Paul McCartney.

More edit: Sergeant Pepper is a pretty alright album. Not Abbey Road but you know.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Beatles is a greatest hits band ya know. Lots of bands are greatest hit bands. No shame in the game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The solitary Beatles song I really like is Tomorrow Never Knows, so I don't know what that says about me.

The answer is: I'm a sucker for a sitar, and also it was used really well in Mad Men.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oh man Beatles chat.

But the white album has as many all timers as abbey road, without octopus’s garden and maxwells silver hammer being 2/10ths of the songs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I just bought two Commodores albums and a Five Royales best-of. :dance:

Quick, someone come take my wallet away!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

Oh man Beatles chat.

But the white album has as many all timers as abbey road, without octopus’s garden and maxwells silver hammer being 2/10ths of the songs.

I love the Beatles, but at their best, the Beach Boys are way better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

But at their worst they’re Mike love in a MAGA hat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Beatles had one other really good album and you're all scum for ignoring it.

(The Whipped Cream cover also contains a copy of Magical Mystery Tour.)

stealie72 posted:

Edit for my Beatles hot take: They get an A+ as songwriters, an A as studio innovators, and a B as musicians/performers. I can't think of another band where pretty much every one of its songs has a cover that's better than the original, but that may also just be because so many A list artists cover the beatles. Nobody bothers to cover Cream.

You left out the best one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoAFWBofj1Y

This is also a gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkGXUn0Kuuw

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Beach Boys are responsible for Kokomo.

BigFactory posted:

Oh man Beatles chat.

The Beatles Part 1 & 2 does have a lot of really good songs but there are a bunch of clunkers on there and the record itself has no cohesion and plays more like a collection of previously unreleased works or something. An Odds and Sods type deal.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The only Beatles covers worth the plastic they’re pressed on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAX8VfFft4

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The Beatles had one other really good album and you're all scum for ignoring it.

(The Whipped Cream cover also contains a copy of Magical Mystery Tour.)

You left out the best one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoAFWBofj1Y

This is also a gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkGXUn0Kuuw

The Beach Boys are responsible for Kokomo.

The Beatles Part 1 & 2 does have a lot of really good songs but there are a bunch of clunkers on there and the record itself has no cohesion and plays more like a collection of previously unreleased works or something. An Odds and Sods type deal.

There aren’t that many clunkers, and it has 4 or 5 of John’s best songs and George’s best song (long, long, long). And ringos best song!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

There aren’t that many clunkers, and it has 4 or 5 of John’s best songs and George’s best song (long, long, long). And ringos best song!

I hope you mean Don't Pass Me By.

Also did anyone get that White Album x 100 record several years back? I did and it's pretty cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I hope you mean Don't Pass Me By.

Absolutely do

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Absolutely do

I love that song. The other Ringo song on the album is bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I love that song. The other Ringo song on the album is bad.

Good night? I guess. It’s kind of just half a song really. Don’t Pass Me By is great though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
All Things Must Pass > White Album > everything else

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
In my younger stupider years I thought rubber soul was the best one. Now In my wizened old age I know the truth: the white album is the best because it has Rocky Raccoon on it and if you don’t like rocky raccoon you are a stupid dipshit rear end hole

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

In my 30's I was that edgy guy who didn't like The Beatles. I would just dismiss them as just a boy band. I think this was a reaction to growing up in the 80's and 90's when they were on all radio/muzak/commercials all the time. But growing up I loved Sgt Peppers and the White Album. I absolutely dig The Beatles now. Let it Be has been my favorite for a long time (even during my anti Beatle period).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love The Beatles. I just don't think there's much left to be gained from listening to The Beatles. That well's tapped to gently caress.

I did however scoop this one up from my mom, who straight up stopped listening to music after The Beatles broke up. CPL gonna have to give me a spare MMT, 'case it doesn't come in this set.

Also: obligatory Residents/Beatles shoutout.