Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Fuschia tude posted:

Ethiopian too.

Tej I have ordered at Ethiopian restaurants has completed fermentation because they are Christian and don't have to rules-lawyer their alcohol. There is a meadery near where I live that serves the local Ethiopian community.

But I wouldn't be surprised to go to a place and get a live tej being made in the back of the house. I just haven't encountered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Tej I have ordered at Ethiopian restaurants has completed fermentation because they are Christian and don't have to rules-lawyer their alcohol. There is a meadery near where I live that serves the local Ethiopian community.

But I wouldn't be surprised to go to a place and get a live tej being made in the back of the house. I just haven't encountered it.

Oh, interesting. I remember it being somewhat sweet, but it may have had honey added back in at the end. (Also a large number of Ethiopians are Muslim too, especially in the east, though I don't know if they're more or less represented among the diaspora.)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fuschia tude posted:

Oh, interesting. I remember it being somewhat sweet, but it may have had honey added back in at the end. (Also a large number of Ethiopians are Muslim too, especially in the east, though I don't know if they're more or less represented among the diaspora.)

depends on ethnicity ( like everything else in Ethiopia), Ethiopia has 80 ethnicities and what is called “Ethiopian Food” in the west is Abyssinian/Shewan food. Eastern Ethiopia is inhabited by Somalis, who historically disliked being part of Ethiopia. Somali food is highly different from Ethiopian food

PawParole fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 29, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd imagine Somali food probably has a lot more fish what with not being landlocked and the long maritime tradition.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd imagine Somali food probably has a lot more fish what with not being landlocked and the long maritime tradition.

Far less fish than you’d think. fish and chicken are viewed as poor people food, and even cow meat is iffy. Most protein are goat and camel.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 29, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I live practically next door to a somali restaurant now. It's good poo poo.

Also as you'd expect, very multicultural. Their best selling item is samosas. Not what I assumed but actually it makes perfect sense. Somalis were probably yoinking indian cuisine before the first british chef ever heard of a curry.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I live practically next door to a somali restaurant now. It's good poo poo.

Also as you'd expect, very multicultural. Their best selling item is samosas. Not what I assumed but actually it makes perfect sense. Somalis were probably yoinking indian cuisine before the first british chef ever heard of a curry.

sambusas aren’t samosas, they’re different on everything from the wrapping to the fillings to if they’re eaten with sauces . Samosas are from Central Asia (where theyre called Samsa) originally, not India either lol. they probably entered Somalia and India at around the same time

PawParole fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 29, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: ethanol in general you can run into people today who should know better saying things like "I can't drink rum because I get angry drunk on rum" so when you've only got two or three alcoholic options it's not hard to imagine people thinking wine drunk and beer drunk were totally different when people still do that today

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FFT posted:

re: ethanol in general you can run into people today who should know better saying things like "I can't drink rum because I get angry drunk on rum" so when you've only got two or three alcoholic options it's not hard to imagine people thinking wine drunk and beer drunk were totally different when people still do that today

That's probablly somewhat related to culturally bound syndromes in yes its not scientifically backed through tests, but you believe it and a whole lot of other folks do too, so well it kinda does things it shouldnt.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

PawParole posted:

Far less fish than you’d think. fish and chicken are viewed as poor people food, and even cow meat is iffy. Most protein are goat and camel.

If memory serves, there's a taboo against eating fish with many Somali clans.

The Wikipedia article on Food and Drink Prohibitions talks about it briefly.

"Speak not to me with a mouth that eats fish", Somali nomad taunt. Lol.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FFT posted:

There's a heck of a lot of different compounds in most alcohols.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531662/

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Weka posted:

There's a heck of a lot of different compounds in most alcohols.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531662/

Yea that's why they taste different. Ethanol is the psychoactive substance in all of them though, and ethanol is ethanol no matter what other flavourings or admiratives are present around it. Different alcohols can give you worse hangovers from impurity presences, but the psychoactive substance is the same.

Much more likely is just social mediation. Ethanol depresses inhibition, but which inhibitions are very much determined by your beliefs and upbringing around alcohol and the environment you consume it in. People react differently to the same amount of alcohol in different environments, because how the inhibition release translates into behaviour is control by your brain, and brains are funky.

It is a interesting thought though, when did people recognize beer and wine as the same thing, as opposed to say, booze and weed - being two popular drugs, but not ones people would expect to have the same effects.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Probably since before the invention of writing. IIRC beer and wine were among the first cuneiform symbols, and keeping track of workers' beer rations was the content of some of the earliest tablets.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Probably since before the invention of writing. IIRC beer and wine were among the first cuneiform symbols, and keeping track of workers' beer rations was the content of some of the earliest tablets.

"Alright, Ur, you get your beer?"
"Yep!"
"Check. How about you, Uru?"
"Yeah, got it."
"And check. Got your beer, Ur-ur?"
"You know it, boss."
"Love to hear it. Check. How about the Uruk brothers, Urham and Urhamsi?"
"We got, and we drank it!"
"You cads, you! Keep it up! Check."

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Elissimpark posted:

If memory serves, there's a taboo against eating fish with many Somali clans.

The Wikipedia article on Food and Drink Prohibitions talks about it briefly.

"Speak not to me with a mouth that eats fish", Somali nomad taunt. Lol.

Wikipedia is wrong, there’s no taboo, but it’s not preferred. note that quote is from a joking poetic exchange between someone from a coastal region and someone from inland, it doesn’t represent the views of most people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Going wildly off topic but gently caress it, what would you recommend for someone to try who is new to Somali food? There's a huge Somali community in a nearby city and I always mean to go try something, then end up at my old reliable Dongbei restaurant instead. I like and will eat anything.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

PawParole posted:

Wikipedia is wrong, there’s no taboo, but it’s not preferred. note that quote is from a joking poetic exchange between someone from a coastal region and someone from inland, it doesn’t represent the views of most people.

Huh, I thought I'd read it somewhere else as well.

I still like the quote though. Nothing like niche insults.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Brawnfire posted:

"Alright, Ur, you get your beer?"
"Yep!"
"Check. How about you, Uru?"
"Yeah, got it."
"And check. Got your beer, Ur-ur?"
"You know it, boss."
"Love to hear it. Check. How about the Uruk brothers, Urham and Urhamsi?"
"We got, and we drank it!"
"You cads, you! Keep it up! Check."

this is now my headcanon for how linguistics was invented

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I thought I remember hearing/reading somewhere that hops is one of the earliest-domesticated plants, and across time and cultures hops has really only ever had one use, and that was for/with alcohol.

I used to semi-facetiously tell my middle school students that one reason civilization was invented was for booze.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TipTow posted:

I thought I remember hearing/reading somewhere that hops is one of the earliest-domesticated plants, and across time and cultures hops has really only ever had one use, and that was for/with alcohol.

I used to semi-facetiously tell my middle school students that one reason civilization was invented was for booze.

Its not and probably not.

To be less blunt and lovely, hops are domesticated fairly late. And the civilization invented for drinking booze thing just doesn't really hold up all that well. I'd actually argue that a not tiny portion of the popularity of that theory is that archaeology has a serious alcoholism problem.

Roman's apparently ate wild hops and used them as stuffing, hops oil was a thing as well. But domestication and heavy use in beer wasn't a thing until like 800 AD.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 31, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

From a science perspective, "civilization was made for booze" suffers from a very serious problem in timing and source bases. Assuming its a question centered on the fertile crescent settlement complex, that means talking about wheat and barley, aka talking about bread. And the trouble is that if you know how to make bread you know how to make at least hooch if not beer. They're not separable technologies.

If you leave that behind and consider other independently arising civilizations...tbh I just don't know? China started as a millet society, no idea how easy it is to make millet beer/wine. In the americas there is y'know stuff like corn beers and such but I also don't know if those are on the same level as wheat where if you know how to cook it you know how to brew it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tulip posted:

From a science perspective, "civilization was made for booze" suffers from a very serious problem in timing and source bases. Assuming its a question centered on the fertile crescent settlement complex, that means talking about wheat and barley, aka talking about bread. And the trouble is that if you know how to make bread you know how to make at least hooch if not beer. They're not separable technologies.

If you leave that behind and consider other independently arising civilizations...tbh I just don't know? China started as a millet society, no idea how easy it is to make millet beer/wine. In the americas there is y'know stuff like corn beers and such but I also don't know if those are on the same level as wheat where if you know how to cook it you know how to brew it.

Theres a poo poo ton of other plants and berries and such in the Americas that can be made into alcohol fairly easily, like pulque, but we don't really see alcoholic beverages being utilized in any sense of scale that would be necessary for someone to make the claim that its a major reason for civilization.

Also corn is different from wheat in that there's an additional step of processing needed, nixtamalization, to make sure you don't start getting nutritional deficiencies if you eat it as a staple. Which happened in Europe when they started bringing it over to replace wheat and such but ignored that step.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Corn was originally domesticated for booze, as well, and only after cultivation did it grow large enough to eat as well.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Its not and probably not.

To be less blunt and lovely, hops are domesticated fairly late. And the civilization invented for drinking booze thing just doesn't really hold up all that well. I'd actually argue that a not tiny portion of the popularity of that theory is that archaeology has a serious alcoholism problem.

Roman's apparently ate wild hops and used them as stuffing, hops oil was a thing as well. But domestication and heavy use in beer wasn't a thing until like 800 AD.

I'd love to hear more about this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tulip posted:

Millet wine is the traditional drink of classical china.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Archaeologists, paleontologists, and geologists are the kings of drink mountain. Geologists probably win.

I wouldn't go as far as saying there's an alcoholism problem but there is a drinking culture if you dig around in the ground.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Corn was originally domesticated for booze, as well, and only after cultivation did it grow large enough to eat as well.

This was a theory that since has been disproved or at very least is now very heavily disputed. I think we covered this earlier in the thread. The argument goes that the sugary stalk juice was used in fermentation and then the kernels developed afterwards. The counter argument is that the physical evidence around shows that kernels were being ground and processed for eating during the supposed period of time when the stalk juice was supposedly the only worthwhile thing.

TipTow posted:

I'd love to hear more about this.

In the effort to help organize my thoughts let me know what you'd like to hear about.

Grand Fromage posted:

Archaeologists, paleontologists, and geologists are the kings of drink mountain. Geologists probably win.

I wouldn't go as far as saying there's an alcoholism problem but there is a drinking culture if you dig around in the ground.

Being in the middle of it it's definitely more than a drinking culture. Survey crews tend to drink more IMO.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 31, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah I should qualify that by "among the first cuneiform symbols" I do mean alongside other staples and things. Also this was thousands of years after agriculture and urbanization.

But, apparently both beer and bread have been discovered from a few thousand years before grains were domesticated, so :shrug:

https://news.stanford.edu/2018/09/12/crafting-beer-lead-cereal-cultivation/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2352409X18303468

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

^^^ there isn't much reason to domesticate wheat until you know what to do with it, and again if you can bake with wild yeast you can brew. You end up making hooch by accident all the time

Telsa Cola posted:

Theres a poo poo ton of other plants and berries and such in the Americas that can be made into alcohol fairly easily, like pulque, but we don't really see alcoholic beverages being utilized in any sense of scale that would be necessary for someone to make the claim that its a major reason for civilization.

Also corn is different from wheat in that there's an additional step of processing needed, nixtamalization, to make sure you don't start getting nutritional deficiencies if you eat it as a staple. Which happened in Europe when they started bringing it over to replace wheat and such but ignored that step.

Yeah nixtamilization is very interesting and its very fun that Americans were just constantly getting beri-beri for centuries after being exposed to nixtamilization. Less cool that it was basically poors and especially black poors.

I stopped taking physical anthropology very very early so somebody who knows this stuff feel free to correct me or elaborate, but my understanding is that humans are exceptionally tolerant to ethanol poisoning among mammals, which points to it being a useful distinguisher from, y'know, dogs, but not nearly as useful to distinguish between farming societies and foraging societies. Cuz as you mentioned, yeah you can ferment fruit pretty easily. Just let a mango sit around without breaking the skin.

Arglebargle III posted:

Millet wine is the traditional drink of classical china.

Cool good to know, figured it was but 干酒 doesn't really specify what the source of the wine is.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

In the effort to help organize my thoughts let me know what you'd like to hear about.

It's already been kinda answered, I guess. I had no idea that people who "dig around in the ground" had a notable drinking culture, let alone any ramifications of it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TipTow posted:

I had no idea that people who "dig around in the ground" had a notable drinking culture, let alone any ramifications of it.

:hmmyes: Looks like someone never played Dwarf Fortress.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I know enough of Dwarf Fortress to know I don't drink enough to play it, that much is true

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It is interesting to ask how much of historical analysis is essentially projection.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had heard that alcohol was harder/more expensive to make in the new world, resulting in less alcohol consumption and a lessened tolerance for it at a genetic level but now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever seen it in a reliable source and it might just be racist garbage for all I know

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What if it turns out that civilization was invented for whippets and everything went awry.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

TipTow posted:

It's already been kinda answered, I guess. I had no idea that people who "dig around in the ground" had a notable drinking culture, let alone any ramifications of it.

Its more of an extension of professions that spend the majority of their time outdoors in remote places have higher incidence of substance abuse and use because its easily transportable and there's not much going on.

Archaeologists, paleontologists, and geologists get grouped together because they do somewhat similar work, but the same could be said for oil pipeline workers and such.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 31, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

I stopped taking physical anthropology very very early so somebody who knows this stuff feel free to correct me or elaborate, but my understanding is that humans are exceptionally tolerant to ethanol poisoning among mammals, which points to it being a useful distinguisher from, y'know, dogs, but not nearly as useful to distinguish between farming societies and foraging societies. Cuz as you mentioned, yeah you can ferment fruit pretty easily. Just let a mango sit around without breaking the skin.

Ooh, I had to go look this up, and yep, it does seem to be the case, although there is an argument that other mammals (e.g. elephants) may have evolved similar alcohol metabolisms convergently (via slightly different genetic variations). But yeah, even relative to other great apes, we're uniquely suited to getting drunk.

Here's a recent paper I found on that:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2020.0070

(Now I'm kinda curious whether neanderthals had the same variants in ADH. Not quite curious enough to go digging up raw neanderthal genome data to find out, but almost.)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Telsa Cola posted:

Its more of an extension of professions that spend the majority of their time outdoors in remote places have higher incidence of substance abuse and use because its easily transportable and there's not much going on.

also pretty much all academic fields have high drinking rates afaik (and at least in the US education and drinking are positively correlated in general)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
These really early beers are super different from what we think of now, though. It's funny to think of farming arising because people wanted to get hosed up but fermentation also adds nutritional value if you're making these porridge-like beers and they formed a huge part of people's diets. I suspect brewing and making alcohol is as old as farming and probably made it very attractive, but I think there are a ton of other benefits to fermenting grains than just getting drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FishFood posted:

These really early beers are super different from what we think of now, though. It's funny to think of farming arising because people wanted to get hosed up but fermentation also adds nutritional value if you're making these porridge-like beers and they formed a huge part of people's diets. I suspect brewing and making alcohol is as old as farming and probably made it very attractive, but I think there are a ton of other benefits to fermenting grains than just getting drunk.

Getting a mate. Everyone loves a dude who brings a clay pit of 4-loco porridge to the party.