Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYEVhcm6i0

Danny talks about the latest Home Alone movie they made and it's uh... pretty hosed up???

Ah poo poo, is that Rob Delaney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Most of the people I follow on twitter just draw boob and dong and then have pretty nice/fun casual conversations otherwise, which always leads to me being confused for at least a second on the "Twitter all bad" kind of remarks lol

They're just trying to be the change they want to see in the world.

Alternatively, if you're someone who draws anime tiddy for Twttter, you most likely get hate thrown at you from both sides of the aisle, for one reason or another. It could be that they just don't call attention to it.

Alternative to that, while some people might be pretty chill on Twitter, they still see the poo poo that goes down between other people on the daily, or they have friends on the site who get caught up in drama, and it still affects them, even if it isn't happening to them directly.

Mix. posted:

lest we forget that one instance of someone in their 30s who made the like 500 page callout on a minor because they dared to draw self-insert fanart of themselves with a character from a kid's show (who was literally the same age as them)

https://twitter.com/rabidwooloo/status/1343035962163666944

Actually, the artist was thirteen, while the character was fifteen. Thus, there's a two year age gap.

Granted, this doesn't make any difference, but I was in the midst of posting about this myself before I saw your post.

Endorph posted:

ive mentioned this before in this thread but my only direct involvement in any kind of shipping drama is my friend wrote an entirely g-rated fanfic of two 15 year old anime girls like a decade ago and someone dug it up to call them a pedophile and then that person turned out to be a huge diaperplay fetishist

Something I've learned in the past couple of years is that kind of people who endlessly harangue others on their supposed misdeeds either have a lot of skeletons in their closet, or are incredibly insecure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

That reminds me of how back when Hbomberguy did his RWBY video, he called the ship between the two sister characters "loving disgusting" and some of those incest shippers were a bit appalled at first, but the whole drama around it evaporated with no lingering attempts to go after him. I wonder why the fandom shippers are way more raring to go after Sarah Z and Jenny for way milder/made up things...

Although at least Yang and Ruby talked to each other, unlike Yang's actual canon pairing. /rimshot

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

christ i forgot about the 500 page manifesto :eyepop:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dias posted:

Bo Burnham hit the nail on the head with that Welcome to the Internet chorus, really. Being content isn't enough in this day and age, and some people are also far from content so what the gently caress is even left for them?

edit: here, have internet man burning bad people but funny

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1475920527369949196

Blumenthal and the rest of Grey Zone are just dead set on going down the same contrarian path as Glenn Greenwald. Something broke those guys and developed this strange and honestly kind of sad obsession with bread tubers. And I do mean sad, Grey Zone is supposed to be legitimate and hard hitting investigative news outlet. Youtuber in all honesty shouldn't be worth their time and energy.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 30, 2021

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

last time i saw anything about grey zone dudes they were being made to look like idiots by vaush and his followers which is really embarassing lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Communism is back to being uncool because of those guys. My one chance with girls all hosed up because of them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Given that the Grey Zone’s other pastime is covering for authoritarians and denying chemical weapon attacks, them going after youtubers is honestly a step up for them

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ivypls posted:

last time i saw anything about grey zone dudes they were being made to look like idiots by vaush and his followers which is really embarassing lol

Before finishing my exposé on the CIA backing for reactionary Christian movements in Bolivia I am going to pick a twitter fight with this guy who makes a living as a twitch streamer. Take that American Empire.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 30, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny Nicholson: running dog of capitalism for buying dolls of every food item in the kitchen cabaret attraction at Epcot Center. Only the Eric Idle version of Journey into Imagination is truly revolutionary.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Last I checked, The Grey Zone was where terminally contrarian leftists go to deny Syrian chemical attacks or insist that Ukraine is actually secretly run by Nazis or that COVID restrictions are somehow Western imperialism

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYEVhcm6i0

Danny talks about the latest Home Alone movie they made and it's uh... pretty hosed up???

Why are the antagonists sympathetic in a Home Alone movie? Why are there six (6) Home Alone movies?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Genthil posted:

Why are the antagonists sympathetic in a Home Alone movie? Why are there six (6) Home Alone movies?

It's impressive isn't it? You really must have to try to make a misaligned Home Alone movie. I can see why they'd keep the series going, because I still maintain that Rube Goldberg machines are fun and it's not like they're strangling out other types of movies like Superhero movies are, what's the harm?

I have to say, I can't believe all the needle poo poo happening in it. If you wanna do a new thing, just make a protagonist inspired one of the many child geniuses. A Home Alone movie with basically Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes would be fine!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Genthil posted:

They've literally tried to revive Home Alone once a decade for thirty years. Home Alone 3 was an actual movie, Home Alone 4 and 5 were made-for-TV garbage that aired on ABC with Home Alone 4 actually being a direct sequel to the first two with new actors playing all the characters because it was literally ten years later since Home Alone 2, and now Home Alone 6 is also made-for-TV garbage only it was direct-to-Disney+.

Anyway, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine over the holidays, and we came to the consensus that the Donald Trump scene in Home Alone 2 should be digitally altered so that adult Macaulay Culkin gives directions to kid Macaulay Culkin instead of prolific sex offender, RICO violator, failed insurrectionist and one-time US President Donald John Trump.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Communism is back to being uncool because of those guys. My one chance with girls all hosed up because of them.

Nothing will ever be cool again. Everything can instantly be found by the lamest people and turned into the dumbest poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Solid Snake vs. Outer Kevin

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I like isaac Arthur usually but he went on an aside that incest isn’t really that bad in his latest video and lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

like, unprompted or

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I watched Home Alone 3 multiple times as a kid, I quite liked it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Home alone 3 was also one of Scarlett Johansson 's first roles

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It's impressive isn't it? You really must have to try to make a misaligned Home Alone movie. I can see why they'd keep the series going, because I still maintain that Rube Goldberg machines are fun and it's not like they're strangling out other types of movies like Superhero movies are, what's the harm?

I have to say, I can't believe all the needle poo poo happening in it. If you wanna do a new thing, just make a protagonist inspired one of the many child geniuses. A Home Alone movie with basically Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes would be fine!
There's no need to maintain it, Rube Goldberg machines are fun. There's a reason why PythagoraSwitch has been broadcast on NHK since 2002 and why it's been a feature of many magazines and newspapers over the many many years in many different countries.

Also, it's fun to me that what're called Rube Goldberg machines in the US is called something else in almost every single country; for example in Japan it's called a Pythagorean device, whereas in Denmark where I'm from it's called a Storm P Invention.
It's also curious that most trace their naming back to a cartoonist who drew them in the early 1900s, but each country seems to have a different cartoonist - I'm not sure if anyone's explored whether they share a common denominator or whether it's convergent evolution.

EDIT: Does anyone know of these kinds of machines, where their history can be traced to before 1910?
Because now I'm curious whether it originated in Denmark or somewhere else.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 30, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I saw it in the theater as a kid and while I definitely felt at the time that it did not need to be made, I remember at least enjoying it for what it was.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I saw the first 4 as a kid and I think kid me enjoyed 3 the most.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine over the holidays, and we came to the consensus that the Donald Trump scene in Home Alone 2 should be digitally altered so that adult Macaulay Culkin gives directions to kid Macaulay Culkin instead of prolific sex offender, RICO violator, failed insurrectionist and one-time US President Donald John Trump.

If they want to keep it a rich rear end in a top hat, get Kieran in there as Roman Roy.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

How about adult Macaulay Culkin as adult Richie Rich?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Finally, a special edition we can all get behind.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Still lollin' remembering when Trump threw a tantrum on twitter saying Trudeau forced the CBC to remove his scene in home alone 2, when in actuality that scene has been cut for time on every TV showing since its release :hmbol: god I wish Trudeau was even half as cool as right wing people say he is

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Heck, they should just have Macaulay Culkin reprise his role as the original Kevin in the next unnecessary Home Alone sequel, except this time he's the seemingly scary adult the main character befriends over the course of the movie. And then he hits an aging Daniel Stern in the back of the head with a snow shovel.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Danaru posted:

Still lollin' remembering when Trump threw a tantrum on twitter saying Trudeau forced the CBC to remove his scene in home alone 2, when in actuality that scene has been cut for time on every TV showing since its release :hmbol: god I wish Trudeau was even half as cool as right wing people say he is

Remembering the Fakeys award he did still makes me :hmbol:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think people often think what they're doing is for the greater good, so they justify to themselves whatever it is they're gunna do. This can make people go really far and deep into bullshit, and can even come from good intentions at first.

Wow, the person who bought that redtext sure has a goddamn chip on their shoulder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

endocriminologist posted:

I like isaac Arthur usually but he went on an aside that incest isn’t really that bad in his latest video and lol

It's always the science fiction guys, isn't it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Samovar posted:

Wow, the person who bought that redtext sure has a goddamn chip on their shoulder.

It's the people that dont even care for real that care way too much, lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

Was it the dumb when applied to modern humans but technically accurate claim that a small population can reproduce itself into a much larger one without many genetic problems despite them all being kind of inbred, or was it about how enlightened advanced civilizations might marry their cousins?

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

thetoughestbean posted:

I saw that on a plane when I was a kid when we were moving cross-country. Some guy on the plane was shrieking in laughter at the movie to the point that it got scary and stewards had to talk to him several times.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Arc Hammer posted:

It's always the science fiction guys, isn't it.

I haven't seen the video in question but he usually goes pretty far into crazy-speculative territory. Maybe it was more in the context of super advanced gene modification technology making it so the negative effects of inbreeding is no longer a thing? Of course, that sorta misses the forest for the trees when it comes to incest...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

X-Men (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapWzIV1XDw

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i think another factor in this stuff is that youtubers cant just be like, dudes who review games anymore, they have to be moral pillars of society. like not just their fans expecting them to be or in terms of mentioning how stuff is handled in their reviews but like, an active push even outside those elements by them to come across that way. and im not blaming them for that because it *is* what people expect but people who don't seem to really make an effort to engage with that stuff beyond mentioning it when it comes up in stuff they're covering seem to get caught up in this kind of drama way less.

and ofc people are fully within their rights to use their platform to express political views but at the same time i do think people feel almost like, obligated to, in a way that leads to weirder expectations and more drama.

People like mandalore and nitorad manage it and still make livings from it. Its more that when you do things on hot button issues, you become a target.

Though Nitorad did tweet black lives matter once which lead to 5hat hilarious NITRORAD: ENEMIES OF AMERICA picture.

FD signifier mentioned something similar recently, where you have this problem that a lot of Twitter warriors on both sides are virtually indistinguishable.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since I blocked two posters I don't even see half the posts here.

Powerful self own.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 30, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1476603594833108992

I can't wait to watch a timely Harry Potter review.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh god I'm so excited for this :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyways my crackpot theory is that growing up on social media has made a lot of young people lose their goddamn minds which is why you get arguments over if shipping lumine and childe is a moral failing or whatever.

I suspect part of it is also isolation making people grow more attached to fictional characters and hating seeing them portrayed wrong, and I mean I kinda get it. I don't like that either! But setting out to destroy it via harassment instead of idk, writing a negative review is obviously hosed.