Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Am I too late for eating plastics chat?

It's for your own health.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4928218/

quote:

Since satiety is largely due to stretch of the stomach and people tend to eat a consistent weight of food, increasing food volume and mass increases satiety. This can be achieved without increasing the calories of food by mixing food with a material that cannot be metabolized. Such a material should be inert, safe, resistant to stomach acid, lack taste, available in powder form, smooth, resistant to heat, and cost effective. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is an ideal substance for this purpose. It is a soft plastic that is widely considered to be the most inert material known and is extremely stable. Animal feeding trials showed that rats fed a diet of 25% PTFE for 90 days had no signs of toxicity and that the rats lost weight. This article publishes the data from these subchronic animal feeding trials, reviews the relevant available literature, and hypothesizes that increasing the volume of food by mixing the food with PTFE powder at a ratio of 3 parts food to 1 part PTFE by volume will substantially improve satiety and reduce caloric consumption in people.

It's cost effective!

Cost effectiveness is the greatest assault on human life and dignity and it's the foremost metric in all decisions.

edit: Sorry, I forgot; lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
when she goes home to her parents and they tell her no politics; in fact he's for the meteorite jobs

was just

chef kiss

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

quote:

Paradoxically, the more scientists learn about what’s going on at Thwaites, the more divergent the latest climate models have become about its future. Consider the results of two models by highly respected scientists published side by side in Nature earlier this year. One model suggests that Thwaites stays fairly stable until temperatures rise above 2 C of warming. Then all hell breaks loose. Thwaites begins to fall into the sea like a line of dominoes pushed off a table and soon takes the rest of the West Antarctic ice sheet with it. And once the collapse begins, according to this model, it will be impossible to stop — at least on any human time scale. In a century or so, global sea levels could rise 10 feet, which would swamp South Florida and Bangladesh and many other low-lying regions of the world.

In the other model, global sea level rise only differs by 4½ inches between a 1.5 C global temperature rise and a 3 C temperature rise (which is a little above where we are headed with under current emissions scenarios). And much of that comes from increased melt in Greenland and mountain glaciers. As for Antarctica, the paper says explicitly: “No clear dependence on emissions scenario emerges for Antarctica.”
Move over BOE, I'm pining for Green West Antarctica in my lifetime

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
I finally got around to seeing Don’t Look Up and I have cracked the ping fantastic

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

uguu posted:

It's cost effective!

Cost effectiveness is the greatest assault on human life and dignity and it's the foremost metric in all decisions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

uguu posted:

It's cost effective!

Literally just replicating the "rice cut with plastic pellets" scandal from China a decade ago, LMAO.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rime posted:

The interesting thing to me about this graph is that something has clearly resulted in a 300ppm spike in carbon emissions within a 10k-20k time frame, every 100,000 years, for the past 450,000 years. Then each time it dips down again and the earth enters a deep glacial period. Each historical example has peaked more or less with emissions at the level of 1960, about a century and a half after industrialization began in earnest.

The dark takeaway is that the temperature side of the scale is not in lockstep with the carbon emissions, and we can extrapolate from the past spikes that the 400+ ppm we are currently sitting at will result in 10+ degrees of warming if it is sustained for any length of time without any drawdown mechanism kicking in.

:nice:

I think what you mean is that this upcoming “glacial age” will keep us at 0C, until the spike in 150k years. See you then suckers

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

the character's lesson was clear too: give up, smoke weed, find someone hot dumb and kind to gently caress

we all need to log off and find thoughtful himbos

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

tgacon posted:

I finally got around to seeing Don’t Look Up and I have cracked the ping fantastic

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MightyBigMinus posted:

the character's lesson was clear too: Give up, drop acid, find someone hot smart and kind to gently caress.

:cheers:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The Wisest Moron posted:

https://interestingengineering.com/scientists-develop-food-generator-that-turns-plastic-into-edible-protein

Good news fam, scientists have created a way to recycle plastics into foodstuffs that we can then feed to poor people :peanut:

lol this is our future

it’s basically straight out of a video game - eating recycled plastic goop that has been “personalized” with your flavor of choice

gently caress

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1476205741983911948?t=V7MByyVaX_GxeNQlht6g9Q&s=19
Some bugs to eat because we killed all the animals.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

T-Paine posted:

The daily lack of incidental wildlife like birds and bugs, that anyone could and should be noticing, is a visceral and easily understood aspect of the ongoing mass dying that should be emphasized more than it is. Where the gently caress are they?

Maybe it’s just where I live (WI) but I see wildlife all the time. In summer there are bees, flies, worms, ants, etc everywhere. Even now in winter I see bunnies and squirrels and various birds daily. Caught a frog in my hands just a month ago when it invaded my garage, got disoriented, and needed to be brought back outside.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

uguu posted:

It's cost effective!

"inert"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/22/microplastics-may-be-linked-to-inflammatory-bowel-disease-study-finds
Microplastics may be linked to inflammatory bowel disease, study finds
People with IBD have 50% more microplastics in their faeces but more research needed to confirm connection

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

N-no! How dare you!! This is the only way we can sustainably feed the planet's population! Objecting is Malthusianism!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

not much else to do but thwait and see :shrug:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

can't wait for Ryan Reynolds or The Rock to get on TikTok to tell me how loving good this bug burger is

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I’m a climate scientist. Don’t Look Up captures the madness I see every day - Peter Kalmus

Lol, Kalmus crack pinged hard enough to get featured in The Guardian.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

biosphere collapse: not much else to do but thwait and see :shrug:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Re: wildlife chat: yeah, as stated earlier, it's going to vary a lot depending on where you are, and what in your area is or isn't dealing well with the changes. Where I am I've definitely been noticing for a while now that the native bug and plant populations have been growing less diverse and less numerous each year, but A Full Life had the right of it in that nothing stops the mosquitoes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

N-no! How dare you!! This is the only way we can sustainably feed the planet's population! Objecting is Malthusianism!

Look man just lemme try the bug burger

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

why eat bug burger when bean are right there

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blatman posted:

knowing someone is eating a bug burger makes me much more happy about my position than knowing someone is eating a bean burger

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

blatman posted:

quote:

Typically, common bean yields will start to decline once temperatures exceed 18°C to 19°C at night. That's when the bean plants flower and undergo pollination. But excessive heat interferes, somehow hindering the plants' ability to set seed. It also makes the plants grow less efficiently.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shazbot

edit: holy dang I just googled that word and it's changed a lot since i heard it in starsiege tribes

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

blatman posted:

Beans are loving great, but bugburg has its novelty

Plus it probably would legitimately be the only way of weaning the US off of our beef and chicken addiction (and even then only if/because its cheaper to produce), so while it's functionally meaningless it's kind of a neat idea, in a vacuum

Also you get bug in your food constantly, especially if you're in the US where you're allowed to have like two whole grasshoppers per can of veggies lawl. With all of the everything else going on in hellworld constantly, consuming plastic and sawdust and god knows what else at every turn, bug just doesn't seem worth being overly squeamish about. Let me see them bugburgs. I wanna watch some poor motherfucker try to market this thing to a US audience.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
idk if this is a lot in terms of long term sustainability

quote:

It takes around 2.0 CO2e to produce 1 kilogram or 2.2 pounds of dry beans, a car driving equivalent of 4.75 miles or 7.75 kilometers.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

idk if this is a lot in terms of long term sustainability

I doubt insects are any better, you still have to feed them a high protein diet (they use chicken feed mostly last time I looked into this) and every time you go up a trophic level there are unavoidable efficiency losses. I'd rather just eat the chicken feed.

E: i maintain that all this eating bugs stuff is an op by the meat industry to make people throw their hands up in the air and say "gently caress it" and keep eating meat.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Dec 30, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i support eating bugs, for other people. i still want my chicken tendies and steakums

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

IAMKOREA posted:

E: i maintain that all this eating bugs stuff is an op by the meat industry to make people throw their hands up in the air and say "gently caress it" and keep eating meat.

i'd agreee

like just eating the veggies and poo poo is going to be more efficient

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

God Hole posted:

can't wait for Ryan Reynolds or The Rock to get on TikTok to tell me how loving good this bug burger is

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It says a lot about humanity that we can turn something as beautiful as fresh snow into the matte brown-grey of poo poo-slime ice.

oh, don't glamorize nature

there's plenty of disgusting things that happen without humans

they're just not usually as toxic or systemic or catastrophic or so long lasting as what humanity has managed to do with our big dumb brains

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I'm an American and will eat my pig anus and cow asscheeks as much as I want.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I actually like the taste and texture of mealworms so I'm just stoked for someone to make them scalable and cheap. I would also pick up crickets as well if they were in my local grocery store. They are both super nutritious as well. I need to get my Omega-3 s from somewhere and the ocean is not as bountiful as it once was.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I actually like the taste and texture of mealworms so I'm just stoked for someone to make them scalable and cheap. I would also pick up crickets as well if they were in my local grocery store. They are both super nutritious as well. I need to get my Omega-3 s from somewhere and the ocean is not as bountiful as it once was.

It's bountiful (with mercury and antidepressants).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

a while back someone made the point that pro eating bugs poo poo might as well be anti vegetable propaganda and now I just crack and scream EAT BEANS YOU STUPID ASSHOLES! until I ping whenever anyone anywhere mentions the idea of farming or eating maggots

JUST

EAT BEANS

gently caress

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
bugs are gross what the hell. I'll just eat an apple

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mealworms are just wiggly beans

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
all the protein you could ever want is right there

when people say you can just return to the trees and live off of nature*, they're right

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Minera posted:

a while back someone made the point that pro eating bugs poo poo might as well be anti vegetable propaganda and now I just crack and scream EAT BEANS YOU STUPID ASSHOLES! until I ping whenever anyone anywhere mentions the idea of farming or eating maggots

JUST

EAT BEANS

gently caress

thankfully nothing is wrong with the natural mechanisms that control the growth of all plants worldwide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
imagine if you will a large terrestrial mammal with no natural predators and no learned fight or flight response, ubiquitous and boundless in number all over the earth in just about every environment.