Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah if you're gonna posit information key to an argument can you please post a link or something? Awful lot of bullshit assumptions can be avoided that way, and also I'd like to learn more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bearinabox posted:

It didn't fail. But what happened during the 2020 lockdown was that cases went to zero. During 2021, we implemented the same exact measures, and the lockdown didn't eradicate cases - it merely kept them at a steady level.

Not the primary source, but during August Brett Sutton made a comment that they were seeing about 50% of cases due to home gatherings. I'm sorry I don't have a link on me.

But those were manageable numbers. Australia is now entering a phase that we've been on since day one (New York) where medical systems are regularly taxed - and medical personnel is likely to quit more and more as they deal with an ongoing pandemic. I am a big believer that you can drive it down to zero if you get strict about controlling these private gatherings with public displays of enforcement like neighborhood patrols, but even if you never do drive it down to zero, you're not heading to a good place.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Bearinabox posted:

It didn't fail. But what happened during the 2020 lockdown was that cases went to zero. During 2021, we implemented the same exact measures, and the lockdown didn't eradicate cases - it merely kept them at a steady level.

I haven't seen anyone suggest a lockdown is going to get Omicron to zero cases, but that doesn't mean we don't need to stabilise case numbers.

NSW is heading for hospital system collapse in a couple weeks time right now and the other non-WA states aren't that far behind.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blitter posted:

Look I get that you're fully in the "nothing better is possible" camp but you're just loving wrong.

• You can establish mandates for masking and restrictions on gathering sizes, etc
  • You can turn up/down the dials on those restrictions to reduce surges and stay within health care capacity etc
  • You can assign fines for those that violate these public health orders and empower various provincial and district agencies to write these civic fines.

To be clear, this isn't necessarily the RCMP or regional police, and really isn't an opportunity for escalating violence, like it might easily be in the US. It's a ticket; $300 for not wearing a mask in an indoor public place, $1300 for various things like gatherings in contradiction with public health orders, and $5000 for commercial violations. if you don't pay, it goes to collection and you lose the ability to renew your drivers license and car insurance. People can report violations, someone empowered by the public health order can show up and document the volation, and a ticket will show up.

My province and it's series of awful conservative premiers have absolutely hosed handling this pandemic in almost every conceivable way. Pandering to bars and restaurants, and ignoring epidemiologists advice far past the appropriate point to introduce or reintroduce restrictions has resulted in several surges that have decimated vulnerable populations like the elderly in nursing homes. But that's another issue.

Since enforcement efforts began in April 2020, a total of 4,358 warnings and 1,526 tickets have been issued, resulting in over $2.1 million in fines to businesses and individuals. People still violate these orders, but since these fines have become available it has absolutely been a deterrent to those that otherwise would have flaunted the rules constantly.

More importantly, if a business owner has a patron that refuses to mask, they can claim they don't want to get a fine, and not have to personally take opposition to a customer.

I don't know why I'm trying to explain why a loving public health directive like mask mandate backed up by fines is a useful and easy to implement idea, but here we are.

Melbourne did all this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

This is amusing because its been posted every couple months for over a year now. Any day now! lol

Any day now? No, no I don't think so. I'm pretty convinced that within 5-10 years China will be living with endemic Covid just like the rest of the world, though.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slorb posted:

I haven't seen anyone suggest a lockdown is going to get Omicron to zero cases, but that doesn't mean we don't need to stabilise case numbers.

NSW is heading for hospital system collapse in a couple weeks time right now and the other non-WA states aren't that far behind.

Straight up loving lie. NSW hospitals aren’t even at the levels they were two months ago.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

slorb posted:

Case numbers of hospitalization numbers? I have long since disassociated COVID case numbers as a metric for what reasonable PHIs should be enforced. Doomers just keep ignoring the fact that case numbers are increasingly disassociated from negative health outcomes. Ever since most Western countries got the double vax done, it is overwhelmingly the unvaccinated and those with major pre-existing comorbidities that end up dying or even going into expensive ICU care. Now with Omicron, the countries that are or have already seen Omicron peak are reporting that a substantial, if not majority of "cases" even in the hospital are not there because of the viral infection. They are there for completely unrelated reasons, are asymptomatic, but because they have to be tested for COVID upon entry into the hospital, they are tagged as a 'COVID patient in hospital'.

I am very close to the point where even "in hospital with COVID" is no longer a metric of any use because of coincidental cases. It's time for public health officials to really dial down and tell us what the actual numbers are - upfront without having the need for people to tease apart numbers - how many people are actually in the hospital due to COVID complications.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Bearinabox posted:

Straight up loving lie. NSW hospitals aren’t even at the levels they were two months ago.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-hospitalised/nsw

Check out the last couple weeks and project it two weeks into the future. I don't think you understand exponential growth.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bearinabox posted:

They're now at the same level as mid-october and twice as high as late-october.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

Any day now? No, no I don't think so. I'm pretty convinced that within 5-10 years China will be living with endemic Covid just like the rest of the world, though.

this is a bit off-topic, but im curious, what you would need to see to revise this stance? Or, have you simply determined that endemic covid is an inevitability and there is nothing that china can do that could convince you that they will remain a zero covid nation?

slorb
May 14, 2002

MikeC posted:

I am very close to the point where even "in hospital with COVID" is no longer a metric of any use because of coincidental cases. It's time for public health officials to really dial down and tell us what the actual numbers are - upfront without having the need for people to tease apart numbers - how many people are actually in the hospital due to COVID complications.

If you're in hospital "with Covid" instead of "because of Covid", the hospital still has to treat you under infection protocols.

Once hospitals are full of people "with Covid" they stop functioning efficiently. Also a lot of sick people who turn up to the hospital for other reasons catch Covid in hospital and end up dying because sick people don't handle Covid infections well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A big flaming stink posted:

endemic covid is an inevitability and there is nothing that china can do that could convince you that they will remain a zero covid nation?

This.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Bearinabox posted:

You're changing the conversation. I'm not saying these don't work. I'm saying, *how can you enforce private gatherings where infections occurred*.

The argument in this thread is, "Melbourne would have COVID zero if they just enforced it", despite the fact we had these rules:

- No private gatherings
- Only leave home once a day, for an hour, for exercise
- No shops open
- No restaurants, hospitality, etc
- Work from home
- Cannot go more than 5km from your home

These were all enforced with harsh fines of $1500 and over $5,000 if you were infectious and left home.

So I'm asking, what else can be done here? What would you add?

The average mask worn in woolies during this was a linen earloop facemask from amazon. Absolutely nothing was done to prevent unnecessary shopping (like policing Bunnings themselves to stop them from being able to sell non-essentials). Nothing more than relying on market forces was done to increase direct-to-boot shopping. Non-essential worksites and offices were widely open. We still don't have air filtering/quality mandates. For something so incredibly taxing on its citizens the government did not step up to ensure it was more successful.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Hashy posted:

The average mask worn in woolies during this was a linen earloop facemask from amazon. Absolutely nothing was done to prevent unnecessary shopping (like policing Bunnings themselves to stop them from being able to sell non-essentials). Nothing more than relying on market forces was done to increase direct-to-boot shopping. Non-essential worksites and offices were widely open. We still don't have air filtering/quality mandates. For something so incredibly taxing on its citizens the government did not step up to ensure it was more successful.

At a certain point it’s just beyond the capacity of a western style democracy to enforce these types of restrictions you’re suggesting, honestly. Reading what AUS did from a U.S. perspective brings a tear to my eye.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Got my booster today! My first two shots were Pfizer and this was a Moderna. So far my arm hurts a bit but otherwise no side effects

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HonorableTB posted:

Got my booster today! My first two shots were Pfizer and this was a Moderna. So far my arm hurts a bit but otherwise no side effects

I had the same sequence and 24hrs later had a fever of 101.4, chills, and fatigue. Of course it's highly individual, you'd expect the worst to hit about 24hrs after

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

slorb posted:

If you're in hospital "with Covid" instead of "because of Covid", the hospital still has to treat you under infection protocols.

Once hospitals are full of people "with Covid" they stop functioning efficiently. Also a lot of sick people who turn up to the hospital for other reasons catch Covid in hospital and end up dying because sick people don't handle Covid infections well.

Except there isn't any evidence of this being a major factor. Mortality rates in the UK and South Africa have not jumped significantly despite the tidal wave of Omicron that just swept through them. There is so much COVID there that they have the case counts are no longer even reliable becuase they can't test fast enough and it is likely a very significant portion of those infected have negligible or even zero symptoms. Doomer speak used to be 'just wait for it' 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks have come and gone. How many of those who died actually died of COVID rather than having died from other reasons but happened to have the virus? They don't tell us. More and more doctors are saying that the case count is now totally decoupled from serious negative health events. See the article I linked a few pages back. People are being listed in UK hospitals as "COVID patients", with no symptoms. We have to stop treating case counts like we did in 2020.

It is time health officials start crunching the numbers on this kind of stuff. If someone sat down and gave out numbers like here are the x number extra deaths from people with/without comorbidities due to COVID and it turns out to be much more significant than say a bad year of the seasonal flu then I would take the Doomers more seriously. But they don't. This is the kind of stuff that generates conspiracy theories. It doesn't help. I set the line at seasonal flu because we as a global society have come to accept that influenza is endemic and will take away a chunk of the elderly and sick every year and we don't undergo strenuous PHIs for it. I remember when I got really loving sick from swine flu back around 10 years ago, there was definitely a concern and a declared pandemic. Something like 250-500k people died. No mass lockdowns. We just took it on the chin and moved on. If a modern country, with the majority of the population double vaxxed, has an Omicron (the variant that is literally squeezing out every other COIVD strain the moment it lands) death/hospitalization rate similar or below that of H1N1.......why are we still doing this?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Judakel posted:

They're now at the same level as mid-october and twice as high as late-october.

slorb posted:

Check out the last couple weeks and project it two weeks into the future. I don't think you understand exponential growth.

Now go back a few more weeks. We're a fair way off that that so the poster you are quoting is making a resonable statement..... at this point in time. Given Omicron's now fairly well noted milder illness for a highly vaccinated population we may or may not go past September's numbers.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

Except there isn't any evidence of this being a major factor. Mortality rates in the UK and South Africa have not jumped significantly despite the tidal wave of Omicron that just swept through them. There is so much COVID there that they have the case counts are no longer even reliable becuase they can't test fast enough and it is likely a very significant portion of those infected have negligible or even zero symptoms. Doomer speak used to be 'just wait for it' 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks have come and gone. How many of those who died actually died of COVID rather than having died from other reasons but happened to have the virus? They don't tell us. More and more doctors are saying that the case count is now totally decoupled from serious negative health events. See the article I linked a few pages back. People are being listed in UK hospitals as "COVID patients", with no symptoms. We have to stop treating case counts like we did in 2020.

It is time health officials start crunching the numbers on this kind of stuff. If someone sat down and gave out numbers like here are the x number extra deaths from people with/without comorbidities due to COVID and it turns out to be much more significant than say a bad year of the seasonal flu then I would take the Doomers more seriously. But they don't. This is the kind of stuff that generates conspiracy theories. It doesn't help. I set the line at seasonal flu because we as a global society have come to accept that influenza is endemic and will take away a chunk of the elderly and sick every year and we don't undergo strenuous PHIs for it. I remember when I got really loving sick from swine flu back around 10 years ago, there was definitely a concern and a declared pandemic. Something like 250-500k people died. No mass lockdowns. We just took it on the chin and moved on. If a modern country, with the majority of the population double vaxxed, has an Omicron (the variant that is literally squeezing out every other COIVD strain the moment it lands) death/hospitalization rate similar or below that of H1N1.......why are we still doing this?

Are…are you sincerely comparing COVID to swine flu?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Now go back a few more weeks. We're a fair way off that that so the poster you are quoting is making a resonable statement..... at this point in time. Given Omicron's now fairly well noted milder illness for a highly vaccinated population we may or may not go past September's numbers.

He said two months... The point is that you're about to be a whole lot worse off and that poster has a history of arguing in bad faith on this issue.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Big Slammu posted:

At a certain point it’s just beyond the capacity of a western style democracy to enforce these types of restrictions you’re suggesting, honestly. Reading what AUS did from a U.S. perspective brings a tear to my eye.

It's too far beyond a western style democracy to audit records already produced for tax purposes and fine a franchise to stop them selling craftwares to pandemic browsers, or to produce decent masks in the country and inform people that other kinds are not effective? Or to step slightly outside the box of market forces to help businesses understand that they need to have systems in place to let people get items brought outside the store on purchase? And then actually message the population and tell them that this is a long term issue? Are we really so lacking in will and imagination during (if not for the multigenerational crisis of climate change) the biggest crisis of our generation? God, pack me up and ship me to the nearest "totalitarian regime"

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

God for being so vocal about doomers wanting numbers to go up to say 'I told you so' we sure are hungry to see zero covid attempts fail. Is it to validate our optimism? our lack of will to sacrifice things like China is doing?

slorb
May 14, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The ratio between cases and hospitalisations is probably lower with Omicron than Delta, but its still a linear relationship.

Case numbers are increasing exponentially in NSW even with the testing system hitting capacity because the test positivity rate keeps rising. The actual number of infections is skyrocketing, and the number of hospitalisations is going to rise proportionally.

The ratio between case numbers and hospitalisations will actually get worse if the age profile of Omicron cases starts to shift older than the 18-39 demographic that is currently driving case numbers as happened in previous surges.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

droll posted:

With all due respect there was a page long discussion based on your assertion. I posit that this may not actually be true because I don't recall freebooter referencing it before when he discussed how COVID zero just wasn't possible in Australia.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/cautiously-optimistic-health-chief-welcomes-victorias-covid-case-numbers--c-4214165

quote:

On being asked if smaller home gatherings could be allowed before 70 per cent vaccine coverage was achieved, Sutton did not exclude the possibility, but said household transmission was a “significant driver”.

That's just one quote, the health authorities talked about private gatherings a lot during the lockdown. (They were doing daily press conferences which is how a lot of us came to absorb our conventional wisdom). Essential workplaces (distro centres etc) were also big drivers, though I think less so than Sydney.

Judakel posted:

I am a big believer that you can drive it down to zero if you get strict about controlling these private gatherings with public displays of enforcement like neighborhood patrols.

So was I until I lived it and found otherwise.

I want you to consider how frustrating it is to spend four months in harsh lockdown and successfully drive cases down back down to zero and have a great COVID-free summer... then a year later you spend another four months in lockdown except this time the case numbers just keep going up and up, and it's in large part because the outside world which refused to ever take this as seriously as your own country brewed up a far more infectious variant and your lockdowns no longer work.

Blitter posted:

Look I get that you're fully in the "nothing better is possible" camp but you're just loving wrong.

• You can establish mandates for masking and restrictions on gathering sizes, etc
  • You can turn up/down the dials on those restrictions to reduce surges and stay within health care capacity etc
  • You can assign fines for those that violate these public health orders and empower various provincial and district agencies to write these civic fines.

To be clear, this isn't necessarily the RCMP or regional police, and really isn't an opportunity for escalating violence, like it might easily be in the US. It's a ticket; $300 for not wearing a mask in an indoor public place, $1300 for various things like gatherings in contradiction with public health orders, and $5000 for commercial violations. if you don't pay, it goes to collection and you lose the ability to renew your drivers license and car insurance. People can report violations, someone empowered by the public health order can show up and document the volation, and a ticket will show up.

My province and it's series of awful conservative premiers have absolutely hosed handling this pandemic in almost every conceivable way. Pandering to bars and restaurants, and ignoring epidemiologists advice far past the appropriate point to introduce or reintroduce restrictions has resulted in several surges that have decimated vulnerable populations like the elderly in nursing homes. But that's another issue.

Since enforcement efforts began in April 2020, a total of 4,358 warnings and 1,526 tickets have been issued, resulting in over $2.1 million in fines to businesses and individuals. People still violate these orders, but since these fines have become available it has absolutely been a deterrent to those that otherwise would have flaunted the rules constantly.

More importantly, if a business owner has a patron that refuses to mask, they can claim they don't want to get a fine, and not have to personally take opposition to a customer.

I don't know why I'm trying to explain why a loving public health directive like mask mandate backed up by fines is a useful and easy to implement idea, but here we are.

That's great - I take it you've now achieved COVID-zero?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

slorb posted:

The ratio between cases and hospitalisations is probably lower with Omicron than Delta, but its still a linear relationship.

Case numbers are increasing exponentially in NSW even with the testing system hitting capacity because the test positivity rate keeps rising. The actual number of infections is skyrocketing, and the number of hospitalisations is going to rise proportionally.

The ratio between case numbers and hospitalisations will actually get worse if the age profile of Omicron cases starts to shift older than the 18-39 demographic that is currently driving case numbers as happened in previous surges.

You keep ignoring the data that says "COVID" hospitalizations are increasingly incidental and decoupled from case count. How long are you going to keep ignoring South Africa and the UK? They aren't going up despite exploding infection numbers. In fact they have started to flatten because even those who are hospitalized with Omicron are being discharged faster than they were with Delta precisely because of the milder symptoms.

freebooter posted:

That's great - I take it you've now achieved COVID-zero?

Judging from his post I take it he is from Alberta. PHIs in Canada is done at the Provincial level. I think he is angry that his particular province "reopened" very quickly following a collapse in COVID numbers at the start of summer. That combined with Alberta's anti-vax population contributed to a huge spike in September. Other provinces like Ontario had a more measured and tiered approach to reopening and saw a small swell of Delta that was easily controlled without extra PHIs.

I used to be onboard with lockdowns but with the data coming out from Omicron and the fact that double vaxx status basically gives you very good odds of dodging bad consequences from infection, I am starting to seriously think its time for this to end.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 30, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Judakel posted:

call the police.

mastershakeman posted:

just have cops patrolling

Judakel posted:

calling the police
Why are we suddenly trusting antivax cops to enforce restrictions they don't think will work, to control the spread of a disease they don't think exists?

Why are we suddenly trusting cops at all?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

During a pandemic cops become good.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeC posted:

You keep ignoring the data that says "COVID" hospitalizations are increasingly incidental and decoupled from case count. How long are you going to keep ignoring South Africa and the UK? They aren't going up despite exploding infection numbers. In fact they have started to flatten because even those who are hospitalized with Omicron are being discharged faster than they were with Delta precisely because of the milder symptoms.

Looks to me like total hospitalizations (not just new admissions) are going up in London. Not all of UK is same. Similar but steeper picture in NYC. Definitely not clear how it will stack up to previous waves yet as it's still on the upslope. And also definitely not at the same pure vertical as new infections, but a bit early to say it's flattening maybe...

I can't really find good live-ish data on "hospitalized from COVID" vs "hospitalized with COVID" though.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 30, 2021

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

we’re stuck in a cycle of waiting for data godot because covid and the pandemic situation evolves faster than we can peer review science. we aren’t changing the measures because of some business plot. case numbers aren’t suddenly becoming unimportant because covid became very gentle, or the capitalists got out their price probability matrices in a smoky back room and gave the working class the thumbs down. we’re changing the measures as we lose the ability to accurately monitor and control the pandemic. which is certainly one path to endemicity.

the numbers are being crunched. that’s not the problem. all the time the drat number crunching machine is running, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. you like numbers, we got numbers. what we lack is certainty, convergence. the problem is data are currently being generated on a scale our data collection and analysis apparatus simply can’t keep up with, in large part because we failed to contain the virus, resulting in massive uncertainty. it has barely even been one publication cycle since delta. what is really going on? what’s going to happen? how bad is it? who even died with or of covid? no one actually knows, and every day we know less and less relative to the space of what is to be known. we’re just looking at higher and higher level measures trying to outrun the spiraling uncertainty. all we really know for sure now is there are a lot of excess deaths lately, a lot of pressure on health care systems, and that there are about a thousand long term dice rolls with all bad outcomes in play.

perhaps it’ll be like the flu. perhaps it’ll be more like polio. on the evidence, it could go either way, but the best evidence is impoverished. destitute. starving. and while personally, I don’t really want to wait and see which it is, regardless of what trajectory we’re really on, the damage is basically done. there will be consequences for science as an institution for failing to recognize and admit to the public that the data was never forthcoming; that there are ultimate limits to inference; that the pandemic response was always political through and through, only appealing to science’s credibility. that is why we failed, and why business as usual economics are now calling the shots in spite of what little sound science we do have. there has been a real betrayal, however arcane, of the public trust here that will reverberate for years.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

speng31b posted:

Looks to me like total hospitalizations (not just new admissions) are going up in London. Not all of UK is same. Similar but steeper picture in NYC. Definitely not clear how it will stack up to previous waves yet as it's still on the upslope. And also definitely not at the same pure vertical as new infections, but a bit early to say it's flattening maybe...

Where is that graph from? I am pulling my info from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=overview&areaName=United%20Kingdom It shows something completely different.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeC posted:

Where is that graph from? I am pulling my info from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=overview&areaName=United%20Kingdom It shows something completely different.

Same source, filtered for London https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion&areaName=London

Edit: NYC

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/daily-hospitalization-summary

I don't get the impression it's a lot of "incidentally COVID" causing big numbers of hospitalizations in the population centers. It's currently holding up as more mild per admitted case but there aren't a small or flattening number of hospitalizations according to the this stuff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pix11.com/news/local-news/hospitals-slammed-by-patient-surge-as-covid-shatters-case-records-in-new-york/amp/

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 30, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

So was I until I lived it and found otherwise.

I want you to consider how frustrating it is to spend four months in harsh lockdown and successfully drive cases down back down to zero and have a great COVID-free summer... then a year later you spend another four months in lockdown except this time the case numbers just keep going up and up, and it's in large part because the outside world which refused to ever take this as seriously as your own country brewed up a far more infectious variant and your lockdowns no longer work.

Yes, that can be very frustrating, which is why we need to eliminate covid globally like we have other illnesses. If we do not, then you can look forward to decreased life expectancies and overwhelmed medical systems for most countries.

dwarf74 posted:

Why are we suddenly trusting antivax cops to enforce restrictions they don't think will work, to control the spread of a disease they don't think exists?

Why are we suddenly trusting cops at all?

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

During a pandemic cops become good.

The necessity for cops is ultimately why anarchism is nonsense and why cops being largely chuds is unfortunate.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

speng31b posted:

Same source, filtered for London https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion&areaName=London

Edit: NYC

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/daily-hospitalization-summary

I don't get the impression it's a lot of "incidentally COVID" causing big numbers of hospitalizations in the population centers. It's currently holding up as more mild per admitted case but there aren't a small or flattening number of hospitalizations according to the this stuff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pix11.com/news/local-news/hospitals-slammed-by-patient-surge-as-covid-shatters-case-records-in-new-york/amp/

I already posted the article a few pages back. You can find it here. It is paywalled so I quoted some relevant parts.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298&userid=59263#post520305134

The incidental hospitalization trend was spotted in South Africa for almost a month now and is sustained.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/12/report-south-africas-omicron-hot-spot-spurs-cautious-optimism

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)01256-X/fulltext

This last article suggests that up to 62% of admissions in South Africa were incidental finds. IE patients came in not seeking COVID treatment, but for something else, got tested as routine policy, and then put into the COVID ward. I cannot speak to the NY numbers.

edit:

quote:

Sixty-two (63%) patients were incidental COVID admissions having been admitted for another serious
primary medical, surgical, obstetric or psychiatric diagnosis. These cases have been labelled ‘incidental
COVID’ as they were diagnosed as the result of hospital admission procedures, rather than having the
typical clinical profile or meeting a case definition for COVID-19. This phenomenon of ‘incidental COVID’
is not a phenomenon observed before in South Africa and most likely reflects high levels of
asymptomatic disease in the community with Omicron infection. As all patients being admitted to the

Page 8 of 14
hospital are tested for SARS-CoV-2 as

MikeC fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 30, 2021

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeC posted:

I already posted the article a few pages back. You can find it here. It is paywalled so I quoted some relevant parts.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298&userid=59263#post520305134

The incidental hospitalization trend was spotted in South Africa for almost a month now and is sustained.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/12/report-south-africas-omicron-hot-spot-spurs-cautious-optimism

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)01256-X/fulltext

This last article suggests that up to 62% of admissions in South Africa were incidental finds. IE patients came in not seeking COVID treatment, but for something else, got tested as routine policy, and then put into the COVID ward. I cannot speak to the NY numbers.

The SA data is interesting but not necessarily the same as what's happening in other major population centers right now. As I recall SA didn't even have a particularly large "hospitalized with or of" COVID curve like we're seeing in NYC and London at the moment. Keeping an eye on overall capacity should be informative ( in NYC it's 22% ICU beds / 25% all beds according to current stats )

Anyways yeah we should keep an eye on it for a bit longer before making broad statements I think

E:

quote:

Levine said the omicron variant continues to be more mild; however, with so many cases “that it is now resulting in a rapid increase of hospital admissions.”

"Milder but a lot more cases" is basically as-advertised, so not surprising.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 30, 2021

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

speng31b posted:

The SA data is interesting but not necessarily the same as what's happening in other major population centers right now. As I recall SA didn't even have a particularly large "hospitalized with or of" COVID curve like we're seeing in NYC and London at the moment

Yes but this type of story is popping up all over the place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-dec-29-2021-record-high-case-count-1.6299698

quote:

Chagla says the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 is also hard to read as some patients are there due to the illness while others are there for other medical reasons.

"Being able to pull out who needs to be actually hospitalized for the COVID-19 versus who needs to be hospitalized and has COVID 19 is also starting to get tricky," he said.

"There are patients that have COVID-19 that are being hospitalized, that are being managed for the COVID-19. These are patients that need oxygen, that need medical therapy," he said.

"But there are also patients, as many hospitals are now testing every patient coming in the door, that are there for giving birth, that have an ankle fracture, that have many other medical issues that are testing positive for COVID-19, where their reason for being cause in hospital is nothing to do with COVID-19, and they're mild or asymptomatic from it."

In response to those concerns, a government official said the ministry has called on hospitals to identify those patients in their reporting.

"Many have pointed out importance of distinguishing between patients in hospital/ICU for COVID-19 versus those admitted for other reasons but test positive," said the premier's Deputy Chief of Staff Travis Kann, in a tweet.

This is exactly the type of poo poo that drives me nuts when Doomers just keep pointing to case counts. I am all for PHIs.....IF it makes sense. When doctors and health organizations know from other jurisdictions that incidental rates are up in their waves, but continue to not report what is or is not incidental, it feeds right into the conspiracy theory nuts. It breeds the sentiment that they don't tell us because they want to keep the panic going.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Judakel posted:

Yes, that can be very frustrating, which is why we need to eliminate covid globally like we have other illnesses. If we do not, then you can look forward to decreased life expectancies and overwhelmed medical systems for most countries.

In some ways I admire your dogmatism on this, but if Australia and New Zealand with all their wealth and resources and geographic isolation could not, in the end, manage to locally eliminate Delta, then I don't understand how you think Afghanistan and India and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (etc) will.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeC posted:

This is exactly the type of poo poo that drives me nuts when Doomers just keep pointing to case counts. I am all for PHIs.....IF it makes sense. When doctors and health organizations know from other jurisdictions that incidental rates are up in their waves, but continue to not report what is or is not incidental, it feeds right into the conspiracy theory nuts. It breeds the sentiment that they don't tell us because they want to keep the panic going.

Sure... I mean it's one thing to say "look at these cases skyrocket" but there's no strain on hospitals, but the data I'm looking at doesn't have enough information to be certain about the second half of that.

We're seeing a lot of cases result in fairly substantial hospitalization increases of COVID patients in the immediate short term (albeit not same as case rate) in major population centers right now, and beyond that I'd be cautious about predicting too much.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

freebooter posted:

In some ways I admire your dogmatism on this, but if Australia and New Zealand with all their wealth and resources and geographic isolation could not, in the end, manage to locally eliminate Delta, then I don't understand how you think Afghanistan and India and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (etc) will.

it will require a global commitment to cooperation and the common good.

so completely and utterly impossible lmao

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

A big flaming stink posted:

it will require a global commitment to cooperation and the common good.

so completely and utterly impossible lmao

in the US, it will require unarmed neighborhood patrols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

in the US, it will require unarmed neighborhood patrols

Another dozen COVID cases logged when the patrol lads knock off shift and crack open a few beers back at patrol headquarters