Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Interesting bit of history regarding Italian POWs in the US.

German POWs were not involved in making this nearby bridge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989132

Come watch digital battleships batter one another to pieces in a winner-take-all tournament of champions!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Memento posted:

Was the instrument panel that really nice light blue that Soviet aircraft used a lot?

Yeah it was. Apparently the idea is your eyes don't have to adjust as much when looking between the instruments and the sky with a blue panel. It wasn't just A Soviet Thing. If you go sleuthing through color pictures of DC-3s, you'll find a few doing the same.

Also, the panel liked to fall into the pilot's lap when they fired the fun too.

(I looked up the color thing while watching the video a few weeks ago and was just kind of amused to see it come up here)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What are some examples of an invaded force having successfully stopped their opponent by removing all supplies but leaving a hungry populace that the invader is obliged to take care of, overstretching their logistics?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
highly specific question and kind of a weird one that doesn't fundamentally make sense. the point of scorched earth is not to cause the invader to care for your populace, it's to deprive the invader of direct sources of food and supply. usually, there is not any sort of cultural affinity between the invading army and the local population, so the invading army, when push comes to shove, is inclined to starve, murder, or attempt to forcibly evict the local population in to their enemy's territory

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Push them over the border and make them a refugee crisis for the opposition, right?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Maybe some kind of complicated situation where country A invades country B and then does some kind of scorched-earth strategic withdrawal to make country B’s counter-attack have to care for their own citizens? But that’s also just a chevauchée with a complicated end-goal.

I don’t know. Not my question. I’m just trying to reframe to see if I could help.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arbite posted:

What are some examples of an invaded force having successfully stopped their opponent by removing all supplies but leaving a hungry populace that the invader is obliged to take care of, overstretching their logistics?
I think as a general rule, if armies would be overstretching their logistics to provide more than token aid, they just will not do that. And quite possibly do worse!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maybe some kind of complicated situation where country A invades country B and then does some kind of scorched-earth strategic withdrawal to make country B’s counter-attack have to care for their own citizens? But that’s also just a chevauchée with a complicated end-goal.

I don’t know. Not my question. I’m just trying to reframe to see if I could help.

it sounds like someone is trying to justify some dumb poo poo they saw in a video game tbh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
something like that is going down in the current season of The Expanse, but I think the space UN doesn't have very many parallels in history

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Arbite posted:

If an army removes all the supplies and leaves, would the population just... leave with the army? Also, is such a large-scale endeavor possible without the cooperation of the civilian population? Lastly, would the PR of pillaging your own civilians be pretty much a regime-ender? The scenario doesn't quite add up to me at least.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

lightrook posted:

If an army removes all the supplies and leaves, would the population just... leave with the army? Also, is such a large-scale endeavor possible without the cooperation of the civilian population? Lastly, would the PR of pillaging your own civilians be pretty much a regime-ender? The scenario doesn't quite add up to me at least.
See I was reading the scenario like Country N invades Country N+1, loots and pillages and fucks poo poo up, and pulls back, leaving Country N+1 a bunch of poo poo to deal with in addition to invading their country.

If you were doing it on your land I think you'd have to not give a poo poo about your population, like, even in theory, which is relatively rare in history-- if only because your army will contain people who do care about them. You would have to somehow force the civilians to remain in order to be a burden on the invader, and you know, I think most civilians aren't going to take that offer, possibly to the point where you either let them flee internally or, well, now you've done an internal massacre; great tactic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arbite posted:

Obligatory Legend of Galactic Heroes.

The additional context is that the invaders were self-declared democratic liberators and the situation was laser targeted to hit them right in the "we have a moral duty to help these people" gland.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Argas posted:

The additional context is that the invaders were self-declared democratic liberators and the situation was laser targeted to hit them right in the "we have a moral duty to help these people" gland.
Clearly the democratic liberators should moan and bewail the difficulties this tactic has presented them and see how much land they can trick the hard men making hard decisions into giving up.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nessus posted:

See I was reading the scenario like Country N invades Country N+1, loots and pillages and fucks poo poo up, and pulls back, leaving Country N+1 a bunch of poo poo to deal with in addition to invading their country.

In that case, for the side that was looted and pillaged, where's the rush? The enemy has left on their own accord, so the immediate threat is gone, and the attacking country isn't going to grow legs and walk away. At that point, with the enemy off their soil, the "war" is functionally over, isn't it? Is there something I'm missing here?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

lightrook posted:

Nor to me. The one thing I could think of would be attempting to concentrate both the supplies and the civilian population into defensible locations, which might prove less disastrous politically (assuming you live in a time where the civilian population is listened too mind you).

But at least in the premodern context you can at least destroy all the easy supplies and leave the civilians to fend for themselves. They'll have supplies stashed away probably, and it forces your opponent to forage over a wide area, giving you better opportunities to harass them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

lightrook posted:

In that case, for the side that was looted and pillaged, where's the rush? The enemy has left on their own accord, so the immediate threat is gone, and the attacking country isn't going to grow legs and walk away. At that point, with the enemy off their soil, the "war" is functionally over, isn't it? Is there something I'm missing here?
I guess at that point they have... conducted a raid but not taken their loot home. If they took the loot home it would be a raid.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean this was more or less the British strategy in the Burma Campaign in 42-44. One the one hand it leads to 'Churchill is a monster who left millions of Indians to die in a famine', on the other hand it leads to the Battle of Imphal.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Argas posted:

Yeah, that's where I first saw it and the exact same thing was just on The Expanse. I was just wondering if there was a real world example they might be drawing from.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sounds like it's just inspired by handwringing in the press regarding "we won the war, how come we have to deal with the humanitarian catastrophy??"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Keep in mind that Legend of Galactic Heroes is the anime that presents "Defeat your enemies in detail instead of waiting for them to gang up on your outnumbered rear end" as this incredible, god-tier, unheard of bit of strategic and tactical brilliance that literally causes opposing admirals to flip out and panic.

It's a great show but Sun Tzu's Art of War it ain't.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Alchenar posted:

I mean this was more or less the British strategy in the Burma Campaign in 42-44. One the one hand it leads to 'Churchill is a monster who left millions of Indians to die in a famine', on the other hand it leads to the Battle of Imphal.

Do you have any info on this?

I know the British blew up the ports, bridges, and oil refineries to stop them from getting into Japanese hands, but I haven't heard anything about destroying food and other infrastructure.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Do you have any info on this?

I know the British blew up the ports, bridges, and oil refineries to stop them from getting into Japanese hands, but I haven't heard anything about destroying food and other infrastructure.

In a nutshell, they destroyed or took all the boats and river craft. There was also denial of rice by moving stockpiles away from Bengal, but removing any ability to move seed around or fish while pretty much guaranteed that when the famine hit, it hit bad.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

More specifically, rice was sized from regions expected to have a surplus, with the intention that those regions would have just enough to support the local population, and not to provide food to the invader. For various reasons, more was taken from more regions than was intended. In addition to reducing stocks below what was supposed to be adequate, the regional trade networks were effectively obliterated.

More importantly, all ocean-going shipping was shut down by the Japanese Navy, while the Britixh confiscated or destroyed most river and land transport methods. Even when there was adequate food for tradem it became impossible to actually move it.

The net effect was a massive famine that was still killing people at the end of the war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tomn posted:

Keep in mind that Legend of Galactic Heroes is the anime that presents "Defeat your enemies in detail instead of waiting for them to gang up on your outnumbered rear end" as this incredible, god-tier, unheard of bit of strategic and tactical brilliance that literally causes opposing admirals to flip out and panic.

IIRC that's literally the opening battle in the series and there's plenty of historical precedent of complacent militaries falling for relatively simple ruses. IIRC in Gulf War 1 the "grand strategy" was "feint as though we were going to attack head on and then go around" woah.

As for the question something similar happened in the Chinese civil war; when the Chinese Red Army passes through a village they'll take half of the supplies, so when they leave and the nationalists arrive they take what remains; which angers the populace and increases the amount of volunteers for the red army.

The Germans also utilized scorched earth in their retreat from Ukraine but I think this is mainly about denying anything useful for the USSR then trying to stoke divisions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

neither of those are really similar to the dumb nonsensical hypothetical that was posed

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Arbite posted:

Yeah, that's where I first saw it and the exact same thing was just on The Expanse. I was just wondering if there was a real world example they might be drawing from.

remember both of those are fantasy series, so not necessarily trying to fully understand actual historical examples so much as echo them

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tomn posted:

I mean the point that's sort of made later in the show is that there's been a serious brain drain due to various reasons. Everyone who shows promise gets sent to fight the liquid metal space fortress with their brilliant new plan. Everyone that's left gets used to toeing the line.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lady Radia posted:

remember both of those are fantasy series, so not necessarily trying to fully understand actual historical examples so much as echo them

Group A has literally waged an enormous genocide on Group B (Earth) by dropping a bunch of big gently caress-off meteors on it, literally billions are dead or soon going to die. In this specific example, Group B goes to capture Group A's space station, only to find that the Group B military has already abandoned it, leaving nothing behind for the thousands of civilians on it; the idea is they're guerillas at heart and have distributed operations and don't need a central base of operations. So now in addition to the incipient mass famine on Earth, Earth now has to scramble around finding food for the space station or lose political capital because they allowed all those people to starve to death, and the capture of the space station is militarily irrelevant.

This is where the Expanse really shits the bed politically, in the show and in the books. Everything up to then, you could buy, it's reasonable, people are dumb. But the authors simultaneously want a mass genocide but one to which everyone reacts as if it's just another battle in a war.

IK edit: spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 30, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering these are ongoing events for the current season maybe we should put it into spoiler tags?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lol if you haven't read the books

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lady Radia posted:

Nonsense.

Now fight me with a space axe!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering these are ongoing events for the current season maybe we should put it into spoiler tags?

Might also specify what the spoiler concerns, either Expanse or LoGH in this case. Because on the forums spoiler tags are for jokes, not spoilers. I read that spoiler without a second though and just assumed I was reading a LoGH spoiler, a series I'll probably never watch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Maybe just don't talk about fictional tv shows in the Milhist thread?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Saukkis posted:

Might also specify what the spoiler concerns, either Expanse or LoGH in this case. Because on the forums spoiler tags are for jokes, not spoilers. I read that spoiler without a second though and just assumed I was reading a LoGH spoiler, a series I'll probably never watch.

Depends a lot on the sun but in a lot of places spoiler tags certainly are for spoilers.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gnoman posted:

More specifically, rice was sized from regions expected to have a surplus, with the intention that those regions would have just enough to support the local population, and not to provide food to the invader. For various reasons, more was taken from more regions than was intended. In addition to reducing stocks below what was supposed to be adequate, the regional trade networks were effectively obliterated.

More importantly, all ocean-going shipping was shut down by the Japanese Navy, while the Britixh confiscated or destroyed most river and land transport methods. Even when there was adequate food for tradem it became impossible to actually move it.

The net effect was a massive famine that was still killing people at the end of the war.

ocean going shipping to india wasn't shut down by the japanese

re: scorched earth policies, are there any estimates on how many civilians died in spain or russia during the napoleonic wars for scorched earth policies?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

Thanks for the thread suggestions, but I wanted "this thread" kind of recommendations. We don't have to derail on these games anymore if it's too far off topic.

Just want to dive in to recommend the Battle Academy games. You can literally pick up the first one for small change in the Steam sale now, and the sequel is also super cheap. And The Troop, which has just his Early Acess, is basically a modernised version of the two BA games.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the additional tip, just bought the first one for a buck fifty.

I played Partisans a bit, and it seems like... not as good as xcom but also real time which sometimes stresses me out.
Close Combat II is somehow the right kind of frustrating and inscrutable. Now the real puzzle is that it likes to crash after battles (after finally figuring out how to come out without a loss).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Lindybeige convinced me how spears are more effective than swords in old timey combat.

Why did the post-Marian legion use swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron Porkface posted:

Lindybeige convinced me how spears are more effective than swords in old timey combat.

Why did the post-Marian legion use swords?

Why do you believe anything that man says.