Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

If you got a dongle that worked you got lucky.

Yeah, mine absolutely did not. The only real issue I had with the device really. Besides the battery thing.

Think I might replace mine with a retroid 2 plus once those are easier to get a hold of. Give the Anbernic to my dad, loaded up with all the pinball games I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

evilmiera posted:

Think I might replace mine with a retroid 2 plus once those are easier to get a hold of. Give the Anbernic to my dad, loaded up with all the pinball games I can find.

The ultimate dad gift: Devil Crush, Pokemon Pinball and the port of Space Cadet Pinball

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dads love Kyuutenkai

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Got and installed the PCB. That screwdriver is a piece of poo poo, you definitely need a set of mini screwdrivers for the screws and some metal tweezers to crack open the shell's connecting points and because of the broken snaps it bulges a bit on the left side now. That Taki Udon video has some bad advice on the left stick ribbon, just put the board in and pull the ribbon through the hole with the plastic tweezers after, you have to be a madman to thread that thing first and then install. After that whole physical process, I had to open up the USB-C dongle and use it for the first time ever to navigate to the analog stick configuration menu with an old mouse upon launch, and then I had to use that same old mouse to configure most every other goddamn thing until I figured out you have to go into the menu and turn on virtual mouse toggle because for some reason hold home doesn't seem to be on by default or I wasn't holding it for long enough. Had the UI bug out on the latest system update 1.0.0.7 until I had a reboot.

The swipe left thing on the right side was baffling until I swiped down from the main menu and disabled the controller icon otherwise you're stuck with an ugly line of white pixels. This is a total pain in the rear end and automatic configure is a joke and a lot of poo poo is just plain bound wrong, can't get it to recognize PS1 games with the launcher, I certainly hope this poo poo gets fixed because this is a UX downgrade in my opinion. I miss the old jank, better than the new jank. Otherwise this is actually pretty nice when I tested SNES and PS1 in Retroarch.

Duckstation is rear end, can't figure out how to get it to hide the touch controls when I don't need them and show up when I need the menu, can't figure out if there's a way to get the menu to come up with a button combo instead of just one button like Retroarch. If Mischief Makers can be made to run without slowing to a crawl after a certain point I haven't figured it out yet. Will test PSP and other high maintenance things some other time, I am exhausted. The new buttons and d-pad do not suck, the new right stick does not suck. No idea if the HDMI out has less latency yet, must sleep.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, mine absolutely did not. The only real issue I had with the device really. Besides the battery thing.

What battery thing? I’ve noticed that the battery has been running out pretty fast when I leave the thing on so it can scrape boxart

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Russ' Retroid Pocket 2+ review is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_ue_DpRkw

This really looks like the device to beat for price to performance. Russ doesn't mention input lag for games directly, but he does talk about preferring one of the SNES9X cores over BSNES because it has run ahead for more responsive controls, so I'd imagine this has the same input lag issues on 16-bit games and older as the previous Retroid Pocket 2. While run ahead solved input lag on the older system, it also brought SNES games to a crawl. If it's stable here, this might still be a great option for people who are sensitive to input lag.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Almost Smart posted:

I got a Retroid Pockket 2+ in the mail today and I can't do poo poo all with it. There's no default folder to place roms, and if you make one, the system doesn't recognize anything you place in it. It's like the RP2+ doesn't even know it's supposed to be a handheld game console. There's zero documentation anywhere for it, and what's available for the standard RP2 doesn't apply here at all. I like to think I'm somewhat proficient with these kinds of things, but this thing is just baffling.

You have to tell it where to find the roms for each system. Here's a guide I made with screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/JIhNGlR

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A lot of these emulators really do have obtuse configuration settings. Once you figure it out it’s not bad but there sure is a lot of googling going on to figure out what does what and what settings to actually use.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

You have to tell it where to find the roms for each system. Here's a guide I made with screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/JIhNGlR

This is helpful, but I keep running into the same stumbling block. When I try to set the game path, I get nowhere. I have a folder for Roms and a subfolder labeled GBA which contains about a dozen or so GBA roms. When I go to add the directory, clicking through the directory just leads to an empty folder with nothing I can select. There's just a parent directory folder to take me backwards and nothing else even though I can clearly see the .gba files when I connect the RP2+ to a PC.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

John Romero posted:

What battery thing? I’ve noticed that the battery has been running out pretty fast when I leave the thing on so it can scrape boxart

Yeah the battery performance is kinda lacking. There's also some issues with some of the original firmware not reporting battery levels accurately, though most people switch out the firmware and so on rather quickly.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Almost Smart posted:

This is helpful, but I keep running into the same stumbling block. When I try to set the game path, I get nowhere. I have a folder for Roms and a subfolder labeled GBA which contains about a dozen or so GBA roms. When I go to add the directory, clicking through the directory just leads to an empty folder with nothing I can select. There's just a parent directory folder to take me backwards and nothing else even though I can clearly see the .gba files when I connect the RP2+ to a PC.

I think when you're adding the folder, you're just selecting the folder where the roms are and then the launcher scans that folder for roms. You don't have to select individual roms to add. Does it not try to scan the folder after you add it?

The Retro Game Corps review of the RP2+ has a mini guide on how to add games as well if a video would help better.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Almost Smart posted:

Yeah same, it doesn’t like any of the GBA, PS1, or DC files that I have. I managed to get SNES games to run by changing the file extensions but that’s about it.

E to add: In my case, it will try to scan the folders, but it won’t add the files. Maybe it doesn’t like the file types (.bin/cue, .gba, .gdi), otherwise I don’t know.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Almost Smart posted:

Humongous Pear posted:

Yeah same, it doesn’t like any of the GBA, PS1, or DC files that I have. I managed to get SNES games to run by changing the file extensions but that’s about it.

E to add: In my case, it will try to scan the folders, but it won’t add the files. Maybe it doesn’t like the file types (.bin/cue, .gba, .gdi), otherwise I don’t know.
Is it looking only for unzipped? Or maybe only for zipped?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Son of a bitch.

Know what the problem was? When you “select” a folder, you can’t just highlight its name and hit the A button. You have to physically touch the little box next to it with your finger in order for a check mark to appear. Only then is it truly selected. Everything works as intended after that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone who has the RG552 know where it stores save files? Do i just put the .sav file in the same folder as the game its meant for?

I have an existing Pokemon Emerald save i want to keep using.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Look in the saves folder on the OS card if you're using Linux - if you connect over the network then it'll be there in the root of the share, and it should have sub-folders based on system. 351elec keeps saves with ROMs (and save states go elsewhere) but with the Batocera they're using puts all the saves in their own folder.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The United States posted:

Is it looking only for unzipped? Or maybe only for zipped?

It was looking for unzipped with GBA and Dreamcast, but the PS1 games don’t appear regardless. I’m gonna try formatting them as .chd and see if that works.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was one of the unlucky folks who selected black as the color (for the RP2+), so I am the last wave to get them, but it's on it's way. Now if it can just get here.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Humongous Pear posted:

It was looking for unzipped with GBA and Dreamcast, but the PS1 games don’t appear regardless. I’m gonna try formatting them as .chd and see if that works.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that for PS1 it's looking for PBP (Eboot) files

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You think it's emulating a PSP emulating a PlayStation?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
PBP is fairly commonly supported on handhelds from what I've seen as they're compressed and support multiple discs in one file.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

You think it's emulating a PSP emulating a PlayStation?

Yes, it's a convenient format for this kinda use. It doesn't emulate a PSP, it ignores the executable (which I think is just a stub because POPS is in the firmware) and retrieves the ISOs which are just backed in with zlib or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to set the time on the RG552? It seems to have the correct date, but the wrong time, and it's affecting Pokémon games lol.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pocket Firmware Update

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.0A

quote:

GB: Bootstrap fix (LSDJ)
GBC: Noise channel fix (Shantae)
GB/C: Pitch issue on square 1/2 fixed
GBC: Slight timing changes
GBA: Slight timing changes (Napoleon)
GBA: Improved Original Display Mode
GG: Added region switch
GB Studio: Save fix with Force GB Mode
System: Rare controller / dpad stops working issue

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Pocket firmware update
Any reports yet on if the "slight timing changes" fix the problems folks were having with some Everdrives?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Annath posted:

Is there a way to set the time on the RG552? It seems to have the correct date, but the wrong time, and it's affecting Pokémon games lol.

The time's set automatically, but the timezone's wrong and there's no option for it. If you go into anbernic.conf in the system folder on your OS card there's a time zone setting called system.timezone, it's Asia/Beijing or something similar by default. Put it into your local timezone (e.g. Europe/London for GMT) and then reboot.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Any reports yet on if the "slight timing changes" fix the problems folks were having with some Everdrives?

Just off reading the Reddit thread, it looks like it helped some people, but not some others. It's worth a shot. I'm scared to update mine as everything is working fine with 1.0 :x

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

uiruki posted:

The time's set automatically, but the timezone's wrong and there's no option for it. If you go into anbernic.conf in the system folder on your OS card there's a time zone setting called system.timezone, it's Asia/Beijing or something similar by default. Put it into your local timezone (e.g. Europe/London for GMT) and then reboot.

Perfect! Thanks!

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
GPD XP arrived today. Bit more plus and minus than the 552 I think, and not as much that can be fixed in software.

Stuff I like:

- It's quick enough navigating around Android, doesn't feel significantly slower than an SD845 equipped phone, and the 6GB of RAM should help stuff stay in memory.
- 128GB of storage plus SD card is really nice to have. I've got a Pixel 3 and 64GB fills up so fast when you're putting Dreamcast and PSP stuff on it.
- The screen layout is actually ideal for Nintendo DS as you can have one huge screen and one slightly less huge screen.
- The hardware Android buttons are really useful.
- The dpad is basically the same as the Vita pad and it's fantastic. I have genuine difficulty with diagonals on the Anbernic devices but this feels really nice and crisp. Spinning piledrivers, Street Fighter EX expert mode, absolutely no problem. Pretty much perfect.
- Holding it is generally quite comfortable.
- You can turn off the fan entirely, which after the 552's antics in Android is nice (though I'm sure that's a software fix).
- The analogue sticks feel nice and comfortable, though the right hand one could do with a bit more grip around it.
- The sound in general is good quality, with loud speakers and good quality earphone output.
- The battery doesn't seem to run down much at all. I think I saw a review which took 12 hours of running at full speed and brightness to make it run down.
- I'm not sure I'll use the removable controller grips much but they sure do feel solid. Lots of magnets holding them in place, absolutely no movement.

Stuff I don't like:

- The default launcher isn't much cop and when I tried the free version of ATV Launcher it was really unreliable. I bought Pro and put that on, and that seems much better.
- The online updater doesn't seem to work and GPD have hosted their firmware updates on a Google Drive, one which has run out of daily bandwidth.
- I don't like needing a SIM removal tool to access the SD card.
- Unlike the 552, the low speed fan setting is whiny and very audible, making the whole thing useless. Luckily it doesn't really seem to need it. The 552 has a couple of lower RPM levels which are barely noticeable (which is where it largely stays in Linux) before it steps up to cyclone vortex setting.
- While the dpad is excellent, I really don't like the buttons as much. The face buttons are OK but the right stick gets in the way, and the triggers (particularly L2) feel a bad mix of spongy and overly firm click.
- The screen frankly isn't a patch on the 552 either. The extra height (and pixel density) of the 552 are noticeable in emulation and actually trying a few Android games on the 552 I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they felt. Worse, though, is the way the screen's put together; there's noticeable shadowing around both the curved edges and the cut-out for the punch hole camera. Sure, most stuff won't actually use that part of the display, but it constantly gets in the way in the OS menus and when it's cut off it just becomes dead space.

Long story short, I'll keep using the 552 for Linux in general and stuff which doesn't require too much finesse or when I want to hook it up to a display, while I'll use the XP for DS stuff at least until the 552's fan is fixed in Android, things like PSP/DC which are a little bit too much for the 552 and for fighting games in general (vita dpad!). I'll probably kick Black-Seraph a month or two of Patreon money for firmwares too - I'd love to resurrect my old XD and they're also looking at the 552's Android side. Exciting stuff coming soon.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 30, 2021

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Got a 351MP as a Christmas gift to myself. Got the Diablo port up and running along with the usual suspects. This thing rules.

Any special tricks I should know as far as enhancing the experience on 351elec? I’ve been fiddling with the Dreamcast stuff a bit but it seems like anything other than RPGs aren’t really viable. SNES working well but gets some weird crusty audio and frame lag playing Earthbound, which surprised me a little.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
On Dreamcast you're going to have limited success as it's not quite quick enough for the stronger titles and the emulator in Linux isn't as good as it would be in Android anyway.

On SNES if you're having actual slowdowns try and check your options to see if you have rewind and runahead enabled at the same time as that might be just a little too much for it. If it's just a bit of frame skipping every so often, try changing the emulator core you're using - the default one runs at a little over 60fps (like the SNES itself does) and it has a bit of trouble keeping itself right so every few seconds you'll have a bit of stutter. I think you might need to go as far back as the 2002 core for it to just run at a flat 60. I think I read somewhere that's a 351Elec-unique issue as ArkOS doesn't seem to have it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

uiruki posted:

On Dreamcast you're going to have limited success as it's not quite quick enough for the stronger titles and the emulator in Linux isn't as good as it would be in Android anyway.

On SNES if you're having actual slowdowns try and check your options to see if you have rewind and runahead enabled at the same time as that might be just a little too much for it. If it's just a bit of frame skipping every so often, try changing the emulator core you're using - the default one runs at a little over 60fps (like the SNES itself does) and it has a bit of trouble keeping itself right so every few seconds you'll have a bit of stutter. I think you might need to go as far back as the 2002 core for it to just run at a flat 60. I think I read somewhere that's a 351Elec-unique issue as ArkOS doesn't seem to have it.

Sounds a lot more like the second one. I’ll try fiddling with the cores and see if I can find one that’s a bit more well behaved. It’s not unbearable, just jarring. I did double check and both rewind and run ahead are off, so it ain’t that.

And yeah, I’d heard DC was pretty spotty. Seems decent enough to finally play through Skies of Arcadia at least which was the real goal, just wasn’t sure if there was any specific tinkering I should do to make it better, but doesn’t sound like it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I played the first level, and boss fight, of Sonic Adventure on the Linux side of my 552 with no problems. It never got below 30FPS, and was mostly 45FPS+ :shrug:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Posting this here as I think there'll be some overlap of folks who would be interested, particularly since people are getting their hands on the Analogue Pocket.
Over in the Retro Games subforum we're kicking off a Game Boy game club, playing through a few GB/GBC games each month.
Thread's here if anyone wants to join in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mode 7 posted:

Posting this here as I think there'll be some overlap of folks who would be interested, particularly since people are getting their hands on the Analogue Pocket.
Over in the Retro Games subforum we're kicking off a Game Boy game club, playing through a few GB/GBC games each month.
Thread's here if anyone wants to join in.

That’s awesome, I’m so in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My 351Elec install somehow got corrupted and wouldn't recognise the games partition and now even reflashing the SD card with a fresh install (a 256gb SanDisk, not the one that came with it) won't restore it, it just doesn't have a games partition any more. Anyone else seen this before and if so how the hell do I fix it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

What does disk management show for the card?

Prolly worth hitting up the 351elec discord, they're very helpful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There isn't even a games partition, it's just the 351ELEC bit, for whatever reason it just isn't creating the partitions on first boot.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is it definitely not creating the games partition, or the partition’s just not showing up when you put the card in a computer? On Windows sometimes the partition’s there but it doesn’t map it to a drive letter, so doesn’t show up in Explorer. If that’s the case you can assign a letter to the drive through Disk Management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

When I put the card in the 351P it says no games partition and shuts down.