Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
There's a bunch of NPC Triple Triad players who unlock after completing Eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
You'll also uncover some NPCs for triad after clear a quest or quest line. Very annoying!

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The path to Triple Triad collection is one that requires completion of basically all content in the game.

I'm so tired of E12N's drop rates that I've decided to learn Basic Relativity.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
that explains why some npcs have tt options but say "no thanks"

KoB
May 1, 2009

Eimi posted:

For anyone who has done Triple Triad, is there a way to check what unique npcs you are missing? I have 105/107 unique npcs defeated and no idea what to even begin to search for guys to beat.

It removes their map marker if theyve been defeated/gotten all the cards, doesnt it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KoB posted:

It removes their map marker if theyve been defeated/gotten all the cards, doesnt it?

I believe their map marker is gone only if they have both been defeated and you've gotten all the cards. Some NPCs have zero unique cards, but if you have all of their cards and have never fought them, they should still be on your map, I think.

Easiest (although tedious) way might just be to hit every zone and see if anyone shows up on your map.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

KoB posted:

If they've been unlocked, yes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Absolute worse case scenario with the NPCs is: make a list, eliminate any NPCs that have a unique card, then go re-challenge the rest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh this isn't good. I just went through the lalachievements list of NPCs I've beaten (started doing that a while back), and got 102. Checked my achievements, 101 in game. I messed up somewhere.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

note that anyone can put up a party with [duty complete]. The restriction only applies to people who join through PF, not people who start in the party

if it says "clear for one" it's a scam you'll be stuck there for hours

My last few c41 parties have been better than my last few “farm” parties, so ymmv on that.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
farm parties are traps, c41 parties are traps, parse parties are traps, it's traps all the way down

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I had to trawl through the list and teleport everywhere. :negative: Eventually I found out I'd never done HoH 30 so I had to do that for that npc, and then I found out I hadn't fought the Vath Deftarm, whose icon didn't show up on the bloody map because the beastribe quests is on top of it. :argh:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KoB posted:

There is a different marker for 'NPC has not been defeated yet' and 'NPC has been defeated, but still has a card you need'. You still get the first icon, if you already have the card.
The problem is, that the icon does not show if the NPC wants you to do a quest first to unlock playing them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gruckles posted:

Manafont is heretical. Getting MP without paying blood in return is just not right, I tell you what.

Quite the opposite. The whole point of black magic is that it can throw around unprecedented levels of power because you're pulling from the environment and not just your own body. Convert never made sense as the first BLM action you learn, but Manafont fits perfectly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's been a long time since I did it, but I believe there was some stuff about how this was dangerous and potentially harmful to your body. Which is why it hurt you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Clarste posted:

It's been a long time since I did it, but I believe there was some stuff about how this was dangerous and potentially harmful to your body. Which is why it hurt you.

Blm 52-59 quest spoilers

if you don't have the job stone you eat through your own aether, cooking yourself from the inside.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 30, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Canonically Red Magic was invented to avoid the imbalances created by black or white magic, and thus specifically it draws upon internal aether stores more than the other two which is why it needs the focus

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If you're up for some Heavensward, I got some for ya! Boy, do I have some for ya...

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

I'm getting the hang of Gunbreaker, finally got to purple. How much of a difference does using food/pots make? Do people use them for farming easy bosses like this? It probably also doesn't help that i'm the designated stand at range guy so i'm wasting a bunch of GCDs on Lightning Shot.

When i put the log into that analysis site it's yelling at me for only doing 8 GCDs per No Mercy window. Am i meant to stack skill speed for that? I can't mash the GCD any faster.

CJ fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 30, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's kind of funny how BLM gets a vague bad rap for their destructive magic, because it is practicing black magic without the job stone that leads to desperation and death, and it is that fate that drives them to seek out alternate sources of aether, etc.

But normal BLMs? We're just driving cars in a world where the city-states are operating a fleet of semis.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hit 90 on MNK and hot drat nu MNK kicks rear end.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ibblebibble posted:

That seems to be the sentiment of everyone I know that's hit 90 MNK. I'm glad the shakeup has landed as well as it has!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kyrosiris posted:

That seems to be the sentiment of everyone I know that's hit 90 MNK. I'm glad the shakeup has landed as well as it has!

I wouldn't say it kicks rear end, but it is definitely an improvement. Enough to get it to somewhere in the middle of the pack for me, which is significant since it was in the bottom 3 in shb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

It's kind of funny how BLM gets a vague bad rap for their destructive magic, because it is practicing black magic without the job stone that leads to desperation and death, and it is that fate that drives them to seek out alternate sources of aether, etc.

But normal BLMs? We're just driving cars in a world where the city-states are operating a fleet of semis.

It isn't just without a job stone. We are basically practicing 'safe' Black/White magic but the War of the Magi has them creating more and more powerful magic that drained Aether from the land just using them. Both the BLM and WHM questioned focus around us showing we can be trusted not to do that.

The Job Stone largely just means you don't blow yourself up before you get good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kyrosiris posted:

Can confirm, EW MNK is a lot of fun. As much as I enjoyed pressing buttons at max velocity, being Sabin is cool as hell.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

My only complaint is I wish they had added indicators for the Disciplined and Leaden Fist buffs to the job gauge. Have the coeurl's eye light up or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think so far for the jobs I have at 90 I'd rate them PLD > SCH > MNK > SMN > MCH > WHM > NIN. Nin really needs some tweaking on the chidori but otherwise it's fine tbh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would have more 90s if Sage wasn't so fun to play but the closest I have is Machinist at 86 because gently caress I just want to play Sage more. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't gotten my Sage out of the Zadnor Zone yet but honestly I find SCH so fun that I have the feeling that SGE won't overtake it for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really love Sage and Scholar both, and I'm also glad that the two healers whose aesthetics appeal to me the most are also the ones I find most fun to play.

Unfortunately they are also the ones that require me to actually think ahead a tiny bit in even relatively casual content and I am not sure if I have a brain big enough to actually play them well

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

To be honest I healed EX1 as a SCH which was my first EX healing foray since SB and didn't find it particularly hard? Then again I've done it enough times as tank that I know all the timings and how the mechanics work already so maybe that's the rub.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Sage is the first time I've felt comfortable healing in an MMO and I may do more of it. Is it considered easier than other healers? When I was poking at Scholar last expansion I felt strained on my layout and uncertain when to activate certain things.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I really love Sage and Scholar both, and I'm also glad that the two healers whose aesthetics appeal to me the most are also the ones I find most fun to play.

Unfortunately they are also the ones that require me to actually think ahead a tiny bit in even relatively casual content and I am not sure if I have a brain big enough to actually play them well

I am not 90 yet on my Sage, but on fights that I am not completely familiar with I occasionally throw out a Eurkrasian Prognosis to get a shield up on everyone just in case. Otherwise, I would just place a shield on the tank, throw out a few attacks, then check if they need a new shield, then repeat. If I have Aldersting available I would listen for the ding for that to put up a new shield. Everything else is by ear.

I do really like sage, but I feel that the way that they were meant to play falls apart when people do wall to wall pulls, particularly on leveling content. Which I think arguably happens with any healer really, but the idea of a more offensive healer comes apart when you are spamming the gently caress out of Eurkrasian Diagnosis to keep your tank alive because you don't have Haima or Paihaima.

That said as a WAR main I wonder if that is more a problem with tanks not using their cooldowns.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ironslave posted:

Sage is the first time I've felt comfortable healing in an MMO and I may do more of it. Is it considered easier than other healers? When I was poking at Scholar last expansion I felt strained on my layout and uncertain when to activate certain things.

I think it's just a thing if you get it, you get it. Leveling sage to 80 was a nightmare for me of constantly feeling like everything is on fire and I'm screaming and why won't the pain stop.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ironslave posted:

I don't know that it's easier than other healers, especially in situations where you need a large amount of raw heals fast. But it does feel good to play in a way that other healers don't quite match, to me at least.

I also had a hell of a time trying to figure out how best to play Scholar in previous expansions so I largely didn't. After an hour or two of figuring out buttons and setting up my hotbar, Sage just feels right.

My only complaint with Sage is that when I use it in PvP I'm constantly out of MP and I'm not sure what the best way is to avoid that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't just without a job stone. We are basically practicing 'safe' Black/White magic but the War of the Magi has them creating more and more powerful magic that drained Aether from the land just using them. Both the BLM and WHM questioned focus around us showing we can be trusted not to do that.

The Job Stone largely just means you don't blow yourself up before you get good.

I mean, same thing.

Things go wrong when large institutions get their hands on things and go mad with power. Individuals are usually fine. Alternatively, I just haven't spammed flare enough.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't know why, I can just never get scholar to click for me. My SCH is 90 solely because I leveled summoner, but I'm actively working on whm and sage because for whatever reason both of those just make more sense to me.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ironslave posted:

I haven't healed as an astro in EW yet, but I found healing as Astro in normal dungeons and trials easier due to the plethora of panic buttons. Probably even easier now that Giant Star is loving huge so you can pretty consistently have that ready to go when you need it. I think White Mage is very similar? But I'm only up to 51 on WM so I can't comment on that class.

Scholar's just a particular kind of fiddly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ironslave posted:

EX1 is kinda trivial to heal unless you're eating one mechanic each rotation and stacking up the dmg ups or something. Most mechanics just outright kill you if you screw up. The "big" AoEs don't even break shields with two healers in the 570s.

EX2 is a bit more involved, especially the add phase. Theres still nothing like an aoe burst phase that you'd see in a savage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

CJ posted:

I'm getting the hang of Gunbreaker, finally got to purple. How much of a difference does using food/pots make? Do people use them for farming easy bosses like this? It probably also doesn't help that i'm the designated stand at range guy so i'm wasting a bunch of GCDs on Lightning Shot.

When i put the log into that analysis site it's yelling at me for only doing 8 GCDs per No Mercy window. Am i meant to stack skill speed for that? I can't mash the GCD any faster.

Food and pots are minor, but noticeable. You'll need them if you want to absolutely maximize your parse but you can get high purple without them.

It is technically possible to get 9 GCD No Mercy with a GCD as high as 2.47, but it's very tight, especially if you have high ping since GNB can't really get away with single weaving. The highest ilvl gear right now doesn't have much skill speed so it's not a bad idea to meld some. I used 2.41 in ShB and it's pretty comfy but anything below 2.45 or so is pretty playable in my experience.