Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
AEW New Year's Smash, 12/29

HM: Daniel Garcia & 2point0 vs. Eddie Kingston & Proud n Powerful
HM: Adam Cole & ReDRagon vs. Chuck Taylor, Orange Cassidy, & Trent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Michiko Miyagi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Shuji Ishikawa vs Takanori Ito

GLEAT rules

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Takanori Ito vs. Shuji Ishikawa - GLEAT Ver. 2 (12/30)

This was so good. Aggressive young hothead vs lumbering giant. The best Shuji match in years.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2

GLEAT rules

nth, this loving kicked rear end.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2

GLEAT rules

Yep that was great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
DASH Chisako vs Yukari Hosokawa

I thought this would be a squash but it wasn't, it good a decent amount of time & Hosokawa didn't get eaten up. Feel confident in saying that's the best match of her career so far.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

HM
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
DASH Chisako vs Yukari Hosokawa

I thought this would be a squash but it wasn't, it good a decent amount of time & Hosokawa didn't get eaten up. Feel confident in saying that's the best match of her career so far.

I'll nth this. But as a ChocoManiac I'll say I really liked the work she did in the Heat Up dojo specials of ChocoPro and you can see the grounding from her experiences there in that fantastic sell late in this match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Michinoku Pro Tohoku Junior Heavyweight Title
MUSASHI vs Kaz Hayashi

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

HM: Daniel Garcia & 2point0 vs. Eddie Kingston & Proud n Powerful, AEW New Year's Smash, 12/29
HM: Thunder Rosa vs. Jade Cargill, AEW New Year's Smash, 12/29
MOTYC: Adam Cole/ReDragon vs. Orange Cassidy/Best Friends, 12/29

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Elimination Tag
BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Nobuhiro Shimatani, Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami) vs #STRONGHEARTS (CIMA, El Lindaman, Issei Onitsuka, Shigehiro Irie & T-Hawk)

This might be the best Dragongate match of the year, at worst the 2nd best after Shun vs Ishida for me. Absolutely fantastic non-stop action, loved this a whole lot.

Show is essential viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzXS3W4HCs&t=1114s

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 30, 2021

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I've mulled it over for a few hours and judging by others giving it HM votes I may be harsh:

WMOTYC: Thunder Rosa vs. Jade Cargill, AEW New Year's Smash, 12/29

This match completely exposed Jade. The story of the match was logical, but by the end of it I was significantly less enthused to see Jade wrestle again and that is a major problem seeing as this is a semi final of a tournament and all 4 competitors at this stage will be given extensive spotlight in 2022.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Elimination Tag
BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Nobuhiro Shimatani, Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami) vs #STRONGHEARTS (CIMA, El Lindaman, Issei Onitsuka, Shigehiro Irie & T-Hawk)

This might be the best Dragongate match of the year, at worst the 2nd best after Shun vs Ishida for me. Absolutely fantastic non-stop action, loved this a whole lot.

nth

But Forkboy is no selling how nuts this match is

1. It's a delayed entry elimination tag for some reason

2. There's a bunch of wacky multiman spots spots

3. It ends with the triumphant return moonsault from an injured young prospect nipped in the bud too soon but not before there's a bunch of gnarly chair spots and an extended match break down sequence

4. It's a hair vs hair match on top of all of this. You can hear a woman break the clap only rules to cry out when the shaving begins at the end.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Lucha Bros, Jurassic Excpress & Christian Cage vs FTR, Private Party & Matt Hardy
HM: Eddie Kingston & PnP vs Daniel Garcia & Stab's Boys
HM: Thunder Rosa vs Jade Cargill
MOTYC: Best Friends & Orange Cassidy vs ReDDragon & BUDGE

All from AEW Dynamite 29.12

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Lucha Bros, Jurassic Excpress & Christian Cage vs FTR, Private Party & Matt Hardy
HM: Thunder Rosa vs Jade Cargill

nth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Well it's the 31st here, so now that this is all done (except for Rampage which will likely have one more MOTYC)... what was the Best Match of the Year?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
whatever TJPW match you liked the best.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mata Ne rumble.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Well it's the 31st here, so now that this is all done (except for Rampage which will likely have one more MOTYC)... what was the Best Match of the Year?

Lucha Bros/Bucks was the better match, Kenny/Hangman was the better moment and Maki/Miyu II woulda beaten them both but the wrong person one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There have been a ton of incredible matches this year, and AEW has the lion's share of them (and Bryan Danielson showing up has REALLY tipped things in their favor), and TJPW and NOAH and DDT have had great stuff too. I still think my absolute favorite best matches of the year though came from New Japan in spite of all the obvious issues they're facing due to COVID but mostly because House of Torture loving sucks.

Okada and Shingo had an insanely good match during the New Japan Cup in March, and Shingo and Ospreay also had a fantastic match at the New Japan Cup Final. Tanahashi and Switchblade for the Never Openweight Title and Shingo vs. Ospreay for the IWGP Title on the Wrestling Dontaku shows were incredible as well. Okada vs. Shingo for the vacant title at Dominion was crazy.

But for me it's still got to be Ibushi/Switchblade at Wrestle Kingdom that stands out to me as an absolutely loving incredible match, completely different to the other matches on Wrestle Kingdom even including the Okada/Ospreay match which was also sensational, or the insanity of Cobb/Shingo. A simple story told masterfully: the perfect (dumb but beautiful) babyface against the perfect slimy dirtbag heel.

God, once the crowds can cheer again, things are going to be incredible.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Still the the first Shingo/Ospreay match was the best one this year.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Gotta be the Chris Brookes vs. Lulu Pencil iron man match for me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

I still have some stuff to see, currently watching DDT with high hopes for Soup Boy vs Okabayashi, and Stardom with Utami vs Syuri, plus there's stuff I can't see yet like Violento Jack vs Jun Kasai, Nomura vs Hashimoto, Great Space War. And Ice Ribbon have RibbonMania tomorrow!

That said, it's Nakajima vs Kenoh from 28/11 NOAH, 1 of 4 ***** I had this year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Saki Akai & Yukio Sakaguchi) vs Itoh Respect Army (Chris Brookes, Maki Itoh & Minoru Suzuki)

This is loving phenomenal. Funny, violent, insane intensity between Suzuki & Sakaguchi, MiSu tagging out with full chops, it's exactly what this match should be.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Have to wait until I can watch Stardom to decide.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

For me it's still Takeshita Vs Brookes for MOTY, beating out Takeshita Vs Akiyama, Tanahashi Vs Shingo and the two Nakajima Vs Kenoh matches

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

I've got two SEAdLINNNG matches to post here later today still

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Shingo vs Ishii from the G1.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
37KAMIINA (MAO, Shunma Katsumata, Toi Kojima & Yuki Ueno) vs Burning (Jun Akiyama, Tetsuya Endo, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku)

HM
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
KO-D Tag Team Titles
Disaster Box (HARASHIMA & Naomi Yoshimura) vs Bodyguard & Yuji Hino

MOTYC
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
KO-D Openweight Title
Konosuke Takeshita vs Yuji Okabayashi

This show ruled, even with the Pheromones stench.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kevino07 posted:

HM - Sonny Kiss vs Joey Janela, No DQ match, AEW Dark 12/29

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm only watching one more show this year (the Ganbare Climax finals that fell through the cracks) so unless there's something amazing on the DDT/BJW show tonight i'm going to end 2021 with 199 MOTYC Nominations.

Broken down by promotion it's:
NJPW - 56
DDT - 52
NOAH - 28
TJPW - 26
AJPW - 13
SEAdLINNNG - 10
GLEAT - 3
CyberFight Festival interpromotional matches, Ice Ribbon - 2
AEW, Big Japan, Dragon Gate, FREEDOMS, FMW-E, Ganbare Pro, Sendai Girls - 1

My top ten (actually 11) wrestlers of the year for nominations are:
Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)

Shunma Katsumata (DDT)

Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH), Yuki Ueno (DDT)

MAO (DDT), Miyu Yamashita (TJPW), Shingo Takagi (NJPW), Zack Sabre Jr (NJPW)

Chirs Brookes (DDT), Kenoh (NOAH), Maki Itoh (TJPW)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MOTYC: CDK vs Best Bros(c) for the Asia Dream Tag Titles Cocoa Pro #187, 12/31 local time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Syuri vs Utami, STARDOM: Dream Queendom, 12/29/21

This match was cool and good and you should watch it because I said so. Because if you don't watch it I will call you a nerd.

Nth. Utami is really the only person should get consideration for MVP besides Omega, and the Head of the Table of course. (The Bunny.)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Senerio posted:

MOTYC: CDK vs Best Bros(c) for the Asia Dream Tag Titles Cocoa Pro #187, 12/31 local time.

I'll nth this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Senerio posted:

I assume this is a typo but I absolutely cannot rule out that Gatoh Move Chocopro haven't renamed themselves to Cocoa Pro? :kiddo:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

I assume this is a typo but I absolutely cannot rule out that Gatoh Move Chocopro haven't renamed themselves to Cocoa Pro? :kiddo:

Neither.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krp7LsIXuA0

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lamuella posted:

HM: Lee Moriarty vs Shawn Spears, AEW Dark Elevation December 27.

Kevino07 posted:

HM - Sonny Kiss vs Joey Janela, No DQ match, AEW Dark 12/29

Testekill posted:

HM: Lucha Bros/Jurassic Express/Christian Cage vs. FTR/Matt Hardy/Private Party, AEW New Year's Smash, 29/12

HM: Thunder Rosa vs Jade Cargill, AEW New Year's Smash, 29/12

Punch McLightning posted:

All from AEW New Year's Smash, 12/29

HM: Daniel Garcia & 2point0 vs. Eddie Kingston & Proud n Powerful

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Adam Cole & ReDragon vs Best Friends, AEW New Year's Smash, 29/12

yes indeed a great week of wrestling with more tomorrow

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) vs. Nanae Takahashi & Hiroyo Matsumoto (c) for the Beyond the SEA Tag Team Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWL082tEyQ

SEAdLINNNG tag title matches are the matches I look forward to most in the world and this one did not disappoint me. It did drag a little toward the end and it wasn't as good as the match where Nanae & Hiroyo won the tag titles but it was a suitable end to Nanae's run in SEAdLINNNG, and continue to cement Makoto as a real fantastic wrestler as she once again was the star of the match. Also Asuka has new gear now.

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima vs. Ryo Mizunami (c) for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMibXkdz33k

SEAd have started billing Nakajima as the "Violence Queen" and she absolutely earned that title in this match. One of the most violent matches of the year, and the crowd broke the rules on several occasions to gasp at what they were doing to each other. Easily makes my top 10 MOTY list.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

In terms of the amount of genuinely amazing matches I saw this year, AEW is still in the lead for me. The Danielson run, the insane Bucks / Luchas cagematch, the almost casual throwing of five star matches onto random TV shows. This was their year. However I will say that the gap between them and other companies was smaller.

Wrestle Universe as a whole remains my best purchase of the year. More shows than I can watch, pretty much a guaranteed banger on every live event, and each promotion within has a main event scene capable of producing some of the best wrestling in the world. People talk about TJPW having a lower workrate than, say, Stardom, and it kind of does, but I've enjoyed the TJPW I've seen this year much more than the Stardom.

The story of the year for me was how many companies were producing awesome matches. Across the year I nominated 172 matches from:

AEW 67
DDT 25
TJPW 23
NJPW 21
Noah 21
CyberFight Festival 3
Impact 2
Hana Kimura Memorial Show 2
AAA 2
You Are Cordially Invited 1
SEAdLINNNG 1
NXT 1
NWA 1
Enjoy Wrestling 1
Wrestling Resurgence 1

Outside of AEW the story for me of the year was how much my New Japan interest fell away and my Wrestle Universe interest grew. I may have nominated 67 AEW Matches, but I nominated 72 WU ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

You Are Cordially Invited 1

Still bullshit that J-Ru never counted this :colbert: