Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

one of the chief objections in Republican Rome to enfranchising all Italians with Roman citizenship was that whoever got credit for doing it would become the Patron of the entirety of non-Roman Italy and therefore become more powerful than the entire government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
love to be the only viable method of progress in the entire world while jerking off about the idea of returning the monarchy, only good this time

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know you all want the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022 and I'm with you too

just be ready to be infuriated when they call it a rebuke of the left. which they will.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

prepare yourselves for this one, it's a doozy:

https://twitter.com/Mrs_Schwarzski/status/1475865081481211910

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolphin posted:

i know you all want the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022 and I'm with you too

just be ready to be infuriated when they call it a rebuke of the left. which they will.

Rebuke them right the gently caress back -- they see people not as human beings but numbers that are rightfully Theirs. They do not deserve to know peace from here on for the violence they have delivered to others.

gently caress em, bully the poo poo out of them in public -- slap the coffee or clipboard out of their hands, throw any garbage you have on-hand in their direction. Don't let them even think they're welcome.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

given that this person and everyone like her immediately forgave and even praised hillary for owning slaves in arkansas, it naturally follows that buying something to own it is an act of benevolence on the part of the buyer, because otherwise, hillary would have had to own slaves.

it's not much of a leap to assume that they'd assume millionaires holding financial leverage over institutional procedure isn't so much buying power as it is an act of divine kindness

as long as it's a millionaire they've been told to love, I guess, idk, liberals are bad people

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was born in January 1988. I couldn't loving tell you who was the best President of my lifetime: they were all loving monsters who should be sent to The Hague.

I was born in July 1974, which is why I say that, if you take only the portion of his presidency I was alive for, Nixon was the best president of my lifetime.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Financial markets were doing fine with Trump as president, until they hit the wall with Covid. A lot of what Trump accomplished was just proving that the President can be a crazy shithead, and it still won't change anything.

They don’t do as well when Imperialism becomes more overt as it tends to close doors to finance. Also on the matter of America turning into a one party state. Attempting one party states in nations with a tradition of regular voting (even if one considers that since the late 50s the options have been intentionally limited at the state level) is much more difficult then say in nations where there is a tradition of overt authoritarianism by bourgeois or even aristocratic interests. It is easy for Bolsonaro to advocate dictatorship because plenty of Brazilians actually lived in such a state. India BJP can be authoritarian as many remember Indira, Turkey? Erdogan can criminalise the opposition do to that being a tradition in the last 100 years. In the USA the idea of being able to vote if the guys in charge are being poo poo is sacrosanct for most Americans.

Yeah they might not consider that perhaps the parties should represent the actual interests of the people. But going full on Authoritarian would be out of the question. Is it possible for GOP dominance? Yes. But unless they deliver in a way that keeps a large minority (45%) happy at least that is unlikely to happen. If they tried to bring back Fordism which also favored those currently with property and used traditional trucks of disenfranchisement while backing expanded cTC, maybe also give out a extended tax credit to make getting mortgages easier I could see that. But no that’s not how they or their paymasters think. Carlson and Bannon don’t call the shots. It’s an oligarchy of rich jackoffs like the founder of Menards, The Koch network, various oil lobby owners, and other manufacturing owners who see workers as cogs who can be easily replaced despite all the data showing that’s no longer the case. They see quarterly profits declining and expect handouts and if necessary wars to expand possible areas of profits. As well as to assuage their spiritual egos where they see Iran as an enemy to Israel. GOP likely gets four years of dominance before new parties come to the scene. The goal is of course to ensue one of those parties is a ml influenced party and if were truly looking at a system collapse. It’s ready to seize power entirely.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Dec 30, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If we're just going to keep putting relatives of rulers in charge, why not just go with monarchy?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ikanreed posted:

If we're just going to keep putting relatives of rulers in charge, why not just go with monarchy?

Been saying this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

being elected should barr your immediate and extended family or people you’ve been in orgies with from also running for the same position.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

vyelkin posted:

the democrats are a conservative party. they like the status quo and so their platform is that they will preserve the status quo. certain groups of democratic party voters and supporters, those for whom the status quo is working, like this as a platform and a party identity, and so they vote and donate. occasionally somebody comes along and tries to rally the party around a progressive message that the status quo is actually not fine, but the problem with that is that the most influential blocs within the democratic party think the status quo actually is fine and so they don't want it to change.

unfortunately for the democrats, for most of the country the status quo is not fine! it sucks poo poo!! and it should change!!!

unfortunately for the country, the world, and the human race, the only organized mass political force in the United States that says the status quo should change is the Republican Party, which likes to call itself "conservative" but is in fact reactionary/fascist depending on which republican you're talking about, because they want to drag society back to a prior state whether real or idealized, which means that anti-status-quo voters are left with the choice to either not vote or vote for the party that wants to make the status quo worse, because the supposed good guys are the ones telling people who are living hand to mouth that the status quo is just fine actually and nothing will fundamentally change and nor should it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Running for office should be illegal, they should just make it like jury duty. One random week you get to be a Senator

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

shyduck posted:

Running for office should be illegal, they should just make it like jury duty. One random week you get to be a Senator

anyone running for office either severely misunderstands what they’re signing up for OR know exactly what they’re signing up for. both of these are grounds for disqualification.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've seen the question pop up time and again that's basically "why don't smart people like scientists and stuff run for office?" Well,

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

AOC misunderstood the assignment

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

shyduck posted:

This is how renaissance Florence did it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

shyduck posted:

Do it like the Venetian Republic:

quote:

New regulations for the elections of the doge were introduced in 1268, and, with some modifications, these remained in force until the end of the republic. Their object was to minimize as far as possible the influence of the individual families, and this was effected by a very complex machinery. Thirty members of the great council, chosen by lot, were reduced, again by lot, to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine and the nine elected forty-five. Then the forty-five were reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven chose the forty-one, who actually elected the doge.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Do it like the Venetian Republic:

wow.
much democratic.
very vote.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think you're narrowly focused on the idea that one party Republican rule is necessarily the result of some kind of authoritarian measure, and not that Democrats become so useless and reviled the party itself implodes.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1476234293525553158?s=20

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really don't want to see it happen. But Michelle Obama could easily win 2024.

"she's articulate"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lord of Pie posted:

"she's articulate"

it's not racist, he meant that she's articulate for a Black woman

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Crowsbeak posted:

They don’t do as well when Imperialism becomes more overt as it tends to close doors to finance. Also on the matter of America turning into a one party state. Attempting one party states in nations with a tradition of regular voting (even if one considers that since the late 50s the options have been intentionally limited at the state level) is much more difficult then say in nations where there is a tradition of overt authoritarianism by bourgeois or even aristocratic interests. It is easy for Bolsonaro to advocate dictatorship because plenty of Brazilians actually lived in such a state. India BJP can be authoritarian as many remember Indira, Turkey? Erdogan can criminalise the opposition do to that being a tradition in the last 100 years. In the USA the idea of being able to vote if the guys in charge are being poo poo is sacrosanct for most Americans.

Yeah they might not consider that perhaps the parties should represent the actual interests of the people. But going full on Authoritarian would be out of the question. Is it possible for GOP dominance? Yes. But unless they deliver in a way that keeps a large minority (45%) happy at least that is unlikely to happen. If they tried to bring back Fordism which also favored those currently with property and used traditional trucks of disenfranchisement while backing expanded cTC, maybe also give out a extended tax credit to make getting mortgages easier I could see that. But no that’s not how they or their paymasters think. Carlson and Bannon don’t call the shots. It’s an oligarchy of rich jackoffs like the founder of Menards, The Koch network, various oil lobby owners, and other manufacturing owners who see workers as cogs who can be easily replaced despite all the data showing that’s no longer the case. They see quarterly profits declining and expect handouts and if necessary wars to expand possible areas of profits. As well as to assuage their spiritual egos where they see Iran as an enemy to Israel. GOP likely gets four years of dominance before new parties come to the scene. The goal is of course to ensue one of those parties is a ml influenced party and if were truly looking at a system collapse. It’s ready to seize power entirely.

they don’t call them red states for their sterling commitment to democracy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you're narrowly focused on the idea that one party Republican rule is necessarily the result of some kind of authoritarian measure, and not that Democrats become so useless and reviled the party itself implodes.
What are the chances that a new party won't establish itself to challenge the Republicans? The Whigs got destroyed and supplanted by the Republicans fast enough that their end fits within a regular two-term presidency. Or is the political landscape different enough that the transition period could be stretched out significantly?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it all depends on how much interference the stragglers left in the Dems try to run against any nascent parties trying to fill the void.

E.g. suing to keep parties off ballots, for example.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think a lot of Democrats in a sinking ship will just jump over to be Republicans. Republican primaries would still be competitive. Dems with incumbency advantage could still run as Independent.

It's impossible to prefigure political developments after the collapse of the Democrats, because anything could fill the void. But any alternative has to be constructed over the course of years - and that means one party GOP rule for a while.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

and that means one party GOP rule for a while.

Would that be materially different from how things have been for the past 40, 50 yrs tho?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I've lived my whole life in Red states, with Louisiana being the closest thing to a Democratic stronghold. So for me nothing would change.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've lived my whole life in Red states, with Louisiana being the closest thing to a Democratic stronghold. So for me nothing would change.

Actual metropolises in the south do tend to skew quite blue, New Orleans went something like 90% for Hillary

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Actual metropolises in the south do tend to skew quite blue, New Orleans went something like 90% for Hillary

Democrats in city machines will just become Republicans and nothing will change. I can't even imagine Republican government changing anything drastically in a big city anyway. It has no real impact on the average voter's 8-5 then Applebee's lifestyle.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think you guys have way too much faith in the American electoral system, the Democrats won’t be allowed to collapse. At very least, they need to be kept around like those nominal big tent opposition parties in Latin American dictatorships.

Even if they get crushed in 2022, the system is designed to be self correcting to a certain extent and you be told to vote blue no matter who until the actual Republic collapses on itself.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Too big to fail

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

I think you guys have way too much faith in the American electoral system, the Democrats won’t be allowed to collapse. At very least, they need to be kept around like those nominal big tent opposition parties in Latin American dictatorships.

Even if they get crushed in 2022, the system is designed to be self correcting to a certain extent and you be told to vote blue no matter who until the actual Republic collapses on itself.

If they keep being perennial losers that floor of support will collapse. Once the money gives up on them that's it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

All I know is that I've gone into 2017 a Dem party county chair to an ardent, mao-was-too-soft-on-landlords communist by the time my tenure ended in 2019.

Democrats have done nothing to address the image problem they've left festering for as long as a lot of people have been alive. They can't prop the party up without a whole lot of people noticing that, and the government is hemmoraging legitimacy as it is.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Dec 30, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Crowsbeak posted:

India BJP can be authoritarian as many remember Indira,

The BJP can be authoritarian as it wants because most of the corporate press will spin doctor it into being a positive. No different than the USA during the run up to the iraq war. The difference being that since the farmer protest started people have been chasing off the employees of such news agencies with threats of violence.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

shyduck posted:

Too big to fail

well looks like the failure ended up too big this time around based on such a term that takes things for absolute granted, peak decadent attitude

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Democrats in city machines will just become Republicans and nothing will change. I can't even imagine Republican government changing anything drastically in a big city anyway. It has no real impact on the average voter's 8-5 then Applebee's lifestyle.

Exactly, they've got plenty of room to fall, at least with the white portions of that electorate

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Student loans are the time bomb that blows up the economy.

Scenario A: They are forgiven, the financial instruments based on them become worthless and trigger the crisis.

Scenario B: Repayments resume. This is effectively a giant anti-stimulus as borrowers are forced to redirect money from rents to the government, triggering the crisis. If they default instead, the financial instruments they're based on lose value and trigger the crisis.

Scenario C: Forgive a little bit. If only $10,000 is forgiven, then of course payments will resume, leading to Scenario B as it is immediately revealed that $10,000 wasn't nearly enough. This triggers the crisis.

Scenario D: Keep payments suspended, but always with a looming deadline so as the maintain the future value of said instruments. Do this as long as you can find an excuse. Or forever. Why not.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Scenario A: They are forgiven, the financial instruments based on them become worthless and trigger the crisis.

It's possible for the government to shoulder the burden of all those obligations, like they did through TARP.

Not that they will do it, but it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Even if they do, that's after everyone gets hurt first.