Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

polyester concept posted:

i know im stupid but I find it extremely hard to figure out what the gently caress people like that are even talking about. something about how they talk mixed with twitter’s awful threading makes it all gibberish to me
that's kinda by design. you have one layer where crypto true believers are difficult to understand because they're an extremely online community and extremely online communities fuckin *love* creating a scene-specific lingo so you can't talk about anything without it being impenetrable inside baseball to anyone outside the club. basically tvtropes disease

you have another layer on top of that where there's a certain amount of unavoidable technical terminology because the field is loosely related to cryptography, mathematics, and information security. this is actually just a small fraction of the problem, because cryptography is just a small fraction of "crypto" in this sense. but you've got *another* layer of bullshit that's crypto bros looking at cryptography and finding it confusing and complicated and so making up a bunch of confusing and complicated nonsense in the belief that they're talking about cryptography. this is basically the little kid putting on dad's shirt and tie and playing grown up in front of the mirror, but with bitcoin

and then on top of that you have the apex crypto loons that are wackadoodle ideologues, like sovcits and cryptoanarchists and poo poo like that. and they're *natively* impossible to talk to--like the guy where you can't ask him what he had for lunch without getting a half an hour about the jfk assassination or whatever. and then you lay all that other poo poo on top of it

so you get like timecube only written for tropers by someone who's trying to sound like geordi la forge yelling poo poo about tachyons at an ipad while the warp core dumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have yet to see anyone explain how blockchains will result in free anything, for literally any definition of the word free. like, no poo poo, there's all the info libre folks repeating the mantra of a "free" internet without ever explaining a)what part a blockchain plays in that, in any way and b)that isn't done by systems that are not blockchains

then there's the "privacy" through a completely public, inviolable, permanent record of everything anyone has ever done on it that is, optimistically, pseudonymous, as long as no one cares to look. no one ever seems to even acknowledge that either

you'd almost get the impression the people raving about this "technology" have never seen a distributed database before

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 30, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

infernal machines posted:

i have yet to see anyone explain how blockchains will result in free anything, for literally any definition of the word free.

It's like this:
  1. Blockchain
  2. ???
  3. ProfitFreedom

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

cryptobros either a) don't know who e.g. equinix are or what they do, or b) think that you can replace them with something like a mesh network of home routers. the crypto angle is that all of the home routers are going to ~*magic iot nonsense*~ with each other using bitcoin microtransactions, and that's going to handle global internet routing

that's not how any of that actually works, either in general or in detail: it isn't how any individual one of those things works in isolation, it's not how any given two of those things work in concert, and it's not how any of those things would work together as a whole. but that's the crypto catechism about free internet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

infernal machines posted:

you'd almost get the impression the people raving about this "technology" have never seen a distributed database before

they literally think that any F.I.A.T. money transfer directly involves an armoured car driving from bank to bank, you expect them to know what a database is?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SubG posted:

that's not how any of that actually works, either in general or in detail: it isn't how any individual one of those things works in isolation, it's not how any given two of those things work in concert, and it's not how any of those things would work together as a whole. but that's the crypto catechism about free internet

which is i think what is so obnoxious about being condescended to by these loving idiots for not "understanding the technology"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if we just ignore how the technology demonstrably works, and instead imagineer something that does everything we want, perfectly, even when what we want is mutually contradictory and logically impossible, then we can say that's the future of blockchain

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

blockchain is flying car technology: it maintains the disadvantages of both car and plane and introduces a bunch of compromises that make it worse at being both car and plane but *if we could just change a few laws of physics, cancel all aviation regulations and improve the way humans process sensory input and behave it could be awesome*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol lotus
*prepares for inbound shaggaring*

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

qirex posted:

blockchain is flying car technology: it maintains the disadvantages of both car and plane and introduces a bunch of compromises that make it worse at being both car and plane but *if we could just change a few laws of physics, cancel all aviation regulations and improve the way humans process sensory input and behave it could be awesome*
it's like you read some listoid thing that says that if you laid the veins, arteries, and capillaries in the average human body end to end they'd reach to the moon and elsewhere it says that you could put an infinite number of people on a boat if you get them to jump with precisely the right timing, and you conclude that if you time it right you can jump up and down on a boat until it goes to the moon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

they finally sold off the corpse of lotus a couple of years ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SubG posted:

it's like you read some listoid thing that says that if you laid the veins, arteries, and capillaries in the average human body end to end they'd reach to the moon and elsewhere it says that you could put an infinite number of people on a boat if you get them to jump with precisely the right timing, and you conclude that if you time it right you can jump up and down on a boat until it goes to the moon

then you just keep repeating that complete misunderstanding over and over again, so that idiots who write for the tech press pick it up and run with it, and given enough uncritical press and repetition eventually everyone knows it's true

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

qirex posted:

and just like the flying car a bunch of people realise they can make a lot of money for nothing by not telling the boss how the idea is never going to work

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mt. Grokx

Khorne
May 1, 2002
someone pulled that "it has so much potential" poo poo on me with nfts. For some reason I thought: in the 1960s links to external resources on a public ledger would have been revolutionary but we've since invented the internet and the entire modern computing ecosystem.

Boxturret posted:

people who don't like bitcoin just don't understand it, they should do more research to really "grock" it. i did and learned that bitcoin is anonymous, has low fees, is green, fast, cheap, and will always go up in value while also being completely stable against the dollar
this is the most frustrating part of the current wave of mainstream crypto enthusiasts

it is everything, it "has so much potential", "you just don't see the potential", "it's the future", "leave your ego behind", "it's bringing green energy", "it uses less power than [whatever industry]" bat flies out of their ear after roosting in their cavernous skull

The worst part is if you look even the tiniest bit into it and don't just huff hype none of this is true.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 30, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i'd say anyone who says that they read the white paper and had their mind blown and that it completely changed their out look on life, the universe, and everything is just flat out lying. It's 8 pages plus a half a page of references and the bulk of it is just explaining the math involved

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pythagorean theorem: if a and b are the lengths of two sides of a right triangle and c is the length of the hypotenuse then a2 + b2 = c2

chump: ooooh...so you're saying that if a is your life goals and b is your mental state then c is enlightenment. mind. blown.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Khorne posted:

The worst part is if you look even the tiniest bit into it and don't just huff hype none of this is true.

if they simply believe hard enough it will come true

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SubG posted:

cryptobros either a) don't know who e.g. equinix are or what they do, or b) think that you can replace them with something like a mesh network of home routers. the crypto angle is that all of the home routers are going to ~*magic iot nonsense*~ with each other using bitcoin microtransactions, and that's going to handle global internet routing

fond memories from when i was at cloudflare and one of the sales bros kramered in with a "yoooo how are we gonna compete with this new CDN ICO that'll have people serve content from their personal servers for butts" and got laughed out

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the drake meme with "cdn ico" getting the hand and "web3" getting the smile

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Theophite/status/1476476724212731905

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: all my apes gone

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/Theophite/status/1476476724212731905

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: all my apes gone

https://twitter.com/askeeve/status/1476489435470573572?t=-FhtIcIcs84YPeWJGfUO0Q&s=19

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
got bailed out instantly, lol. the system works

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i saw someone suggest the talk of hacks has become another scam, where people are so into the idea of a 'community' that saying you got hacked and your [popular nft] stolen is a quick way to get rubes to send you money

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

all my apes (are) gone and my ETH is stole
i've been had - a mark on a winter's day
i'd be safu and hodl if i still had some DOGE
tweeting and cryin' on such a winter's day

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao at the people telling him to take it down as his profile pic because "he doesn't own the ape anymore". Doesn't matter if they're winding him up or serious. It's funny either way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lotta real good replies in that thread at least yeah

https://twitter.com/mondoretro1/status/1476498452234358788

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/BootySloot/status/1476494817731379200?s=20

laffo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the gently caress is wagmi

is it like maga but for crypto dorks

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

the gently caress is wagmi

is it like maga but for crypto dorks

WAGMI is more than a token, it's a mantra uttered by frens, apes, and degenerates worldwide. It's about manifesting your wildest crypto gains into reality. Frens..,WAGMI is everlasting. WAGMI is here to shake up the meme-coin space, combining viral trends with rock solid project development.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

WGMI is an NFT collectors club and fungible SPL token that lives on the Solana blockchain. The token represents proof of membership in the WGMI club. WGMI CC is inspired by community uplifting. Holders of the WGMI token receive regular airdrops of generative NFTs right to their wallets.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

WAGMI embodies the heart and soul of diamond handed apes. No plebs, no jeets, and no rugs — just moon, ser.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

apparently it's an acronym for "we're all going to make it"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
jfc
https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1476568907926360073

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wagmi tail while you feed me bullshit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1476494221414649858

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

It's missing the TQIA, sad!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol at scamming yourself to own the libs