Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey if anyones interested i just got interviewed for an mtg podcast about spirits and the best cards for spirits in 2021, link is here: https://youtu.be/yIOCw9BTnAo

Please excuse my poorly lit office!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

my Childhood Favorite Best Ever magic card is Feral Lightning

I had so many dreams of slamming someone for NINE WHOLE DAMAGE in one turn, or forcing them to block with valuable creatures, when mine would simply disappear anyways! ohoho!

back when i played standard in Zendikar days i tried running an insanely aggresive deck with ball lightning and zektar shrine expedition and fling to the dome for an extra 6/7 damage.

it wasnt great but it did make for some interesting plays, like act of treason a titan, attack then fling it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

Hey if anyones interested i just got interviewed for an mtg podcast about spirits and the best cards for spirits in 2021, link is here: https://youtu.be/yIOCw9BTnAo

Please excuse my poorly lit office!

Dr Queller, is that you?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Dr Queller, is that you?

I wish. dr queller is significantly better at playing spirits than I am.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

It's definitely lightning bolt. Honorable mention goes to arc slogger, mirrodin was the first time I played competitive and big red is so much cooler than affinity.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite card is Lifeline. I'm sorry.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Tempest was about when I hit my stride and "got" Magic, and my favorite deck at the time revolved around Living Death. Shortly followed by Sliver Queen when Stronghold happened.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I have a 5-color “rusty toolbox” EDH deck from years ago that has two of my favorite cards, Soothsaying and Lethal Vapors. Soothsaying has become sorta overshadowed in recent years but I still think it’s a great draw throughout most of a game, and very overlooked. Both were super cheap when I picked them up and it’s kinda funny to see them relatively expensive now.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

One of my favorite cards back during the "high school lunch period" days was Powerstone Minefield. Had a deck with four of them, four Caltrops, and all kinds of stuff like d'Avenant Archer, Kris Mage, and other RW pingers that often could only hit attacking or blocking creatures. Just slogged down the board to make it so anything attacking needed to survive a shot of anywhere from 2 - 10 damage on average, and won through big dudes with protection from either red or white that didn't get damaged from my own minefield.

Nowadays, though, it's gotta be Reflect Damage. I've caught so many people out with that in EDH games, and it's just so much better than Deflecting Palm and others, because it turns back all of the damage from one source (so like, a Hurricane for 10 with three players and a flyer would reflect 40 damage back to the caster), and it doesn't change the source either, so people can and have gotten Commander damage'd out by their own Commander. It's funny, every single time. Well, I find it funny, anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

t1 dark ritual -> hypnotic specter was the poo poo

also loved me some hymn to tourachs

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I wish. dr queller is significantly better at playing spirits than I am.

At this point I’m convinced Dr Queller is an AI trained to play spirits and switches between Bant and UW depending on win rate

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

evilweasel posted:

:yossame:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My terrible attempts to make my fireball burn deck work with mana flares, good memories

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have no way of proving this but I swear it's true:

When I started playing Type I I became aware of turn one kills, though I was never on the receiving end of one.. Channel-Fireball being the classic. A Forked Berserk on a Ball Lightning being the more stylish and less probable one.

I thought it was absurd and thought there should be some kind of Turn 0 interaction to stop it. I think I templated it something like "0 Interrupt: Reveal a blue card from your hand and pay 2 life. Counter target spell." I thought Force of Will was a great on-theme name for such a card. I posted about it on the Usenet. On AOL message boards. In IRC chats. Imagine my belief I had briefly spun the Lathe of Heaven when I saw the spoilers in Inquest magazine.

Can I prove that it was Wizards reading my posts and not just parallel invention? No, of course not, but I still like to think it's true, especially with them keeping the name.

So for a long while it was my favorite. I collected a whole binder page of them and sold it along with my P9 to pay for my first wedding. :smithicide:

Nowadays I'd Say it's Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh. My favorite big dumb evil dragon planeswalker, and one of my very favorite effects as a loyalty ability. (play your opponents deck against them.) I have a deck where with the nut draw I can cheat him out turn 3. My only problem is most people snap concede instead of letting me start making their deck work for me.

I even named this little mutant after him.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 30, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love him (or her)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love him (or her)

He and the missus wish you a belated merry.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

:3:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Not normally a lizard person but:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

evilweasel posted:

my mans

:cool::respek::cool::respek::cool:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Stop attacking my hand you monsters i had a good draw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mandatory lesbian posted:

drat, if only hed play mcmagic

lol why the gently caress am i getting these strays.

evilweasel posted:

you should play premodern... Deadguy Ale is actually a deck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

evilweasel posted:

Thr only thing better was watching the kid with money to burn drop t1 dark ritual -> sol ring -> Juzam Djinn. To which yiu get to respond with dropping Spirit Link on the Juzam.

Favorite card will probably be Pygmy Allosaurus. The name is too evocative of. Agreat concept.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Spirit Link on the Juzam.

This was one of my favorite things to do.

"Swamp, Ritual into sol ring into Juzam."

"Drop a plains, Spirit Link, go."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I always loved using Bottomless Vault and just saving up all that mana to do a huge rear end finisher of a Lava Burst or Disintegration, if I was lucky enough to just have a Dwarven Hold out at the same time piling on counters ooooh man. :circlefap: Coincidentally I had just discovered DBZ at the same time so giant gently caress off death beams was my total jam. That or getting a huge Drain Life spell off was satisfying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok kill you.
*has a facedown creature*
"No."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
mana drain into t3 'Moti was my poison back in the day

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXlWG8AhszA

Had no idea WoTC did that initial promo the last year. loving :lol: a grand for a Tiamat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
great to see the prof has pivoted entirely to videos you'd have to pay me to click on

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Man I just had one of my worst beats in arena premier draft. I played a turn 7 Dreadfeast Demon and copied one of my creatures to give myself two 6/6 flying creatures on my board along with a Skull Skaab and Lantern Bearer. Opponent had Bloodpetal Celebrant, Cruel Witness, Voltaic Visionary, and Kessig Flamebreather. I was at 10 life. On opponent's turn, he did the following:

-Voltaic Visionary to draw a card
-Ancestral Anger on Cruel Witness to draw a card and ping me for 1
-Ancestral Anger again on Cruel Witness (making it a 6/3 with trample) to draw a card and ping me for 1
-Alchemist's Retrieval on Dreadfeast Demon token and ping me for 1
-Alchemist's Retrieval on Dreadfeast Demon card and ping me for 1
- Attacks with all and I was dead on board

Not gonna lie, did not see that one coming and it feels bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

flatluigi posted:

great to see the prof has pivoted entirely to videos you'd have to pay me to click on

He does those videos every year tho

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I even named this little mutant after him.

Owlbear Camus posted:

My goodness. :kimchi:

My favorite dumb card from Ye Olden Times is probably Craw Wurm.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think I put that 0 mana arrow orb that gets worse every time you block with it into every deck I had as a kid. We were not sophisticated deck builders.

- Shield sphere, that's it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

My favorite card was Survival of the Fittest when options were more limited - specifically back when you'd usually use it in a toolbox deck to grab Goblin sharpshooter, FTK, Sadistic Hypnotist, Tradewind Riders, etc. Fill with lots of mana dorks and Genesis and Squee for card advantage. You could go for a quick win, but you really had to commit with something like Volrath's shapeshifter copying Cephalid Illusionist followed by Phage the Untouchable.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

resistentialism posted:

I think I put that 0 mana arrow orb that gets worse every time you block with it into every deck I had as a kid. We were not sophisticated deck builders.

- Shield sphere, that's it.

Shield Sphere is like $8 now because it's a 0 mana 6/6 in Arcades the Strategist edh decks :v:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

For some reason I looked up Lodestone Bauble, it's FOURTEEN DOLLARS????

Also now my adult brain is thinking of ways to use it to gently caress someone's turn over 4 times. :unsmigghh:

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Leperflesh posted:

I think howling mine and black vise were my favorites back in the 90s, artifacts seemed rare and special at the time and those actually functioned. But I more recently gave my heart to The Ozolith. Never had so much fun as shifting growing piles of +1/+1 counters to and fro as my opponents repeatedly fail to understand that yes I actually am fine with you killing my creatures, lol, please keep doing so.

I get this feel from my Black Sacrifice Alchemy deck on MTGA. Twelve 1-drops, Meathook, with Blood Artist from Sanguine Brushstroke. Plays so well against removal and control. What are you gonna do, counter my Eye Twitch? Blizzard Brawl my Ghast? I am just going to kill all of my own creatures anyway, so oppo wasting cards and mana on it feels awesome.

This was one of my first cards. I didn't even have enough swamps to play him in my first deck. Some kindly nerd gave me some Beta swamps at a local con so I could cast it. Been hooked on terrible black decks to this day.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 30, 2021

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lhet posted:

My favorite card was Survival of the Fittest when options were more limited - specifically back when you'd usually use it in a toolbox deck to grab Goblin sharpshooter, FTK, Sadistic Hypnotist, Tradewind Riders, etc. Fill with lots of mana dorks and Genesis and Squee for card advantage. You could go for a quick win, but you really had to commit with something like Volrath's shapeshifter copying Cephalid Illusionist followed by Phage the Untouchable.

That was a little before my time, but I felt the same way about Birthing Pod.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

My fav card as a kid was Veteran Bodyguard. I'd just load him up with Holy Armor and protect him with Counterspells and we could never be defeated, it was great.

Now my favourite card is Search For Azcanta. Just love to put things in the bin and pass the turn and draw spells and eventually know the entire order of my deck because I've activated it so many times, hell yeah.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

waffles beyond waffles posted:

I get this feel from my Black Sacrifice Alchemy deck on MTGA. Twelve 1-drops, Meathook, with Blood Artist from Sanguine Brushstroke. Plays so well against removal and control. What are you gonna do, counter my Eye Twitch? Blizzard Brawl my Ghast? I am just going to kill all of my own creatures anyway, so oppo wasting cards and mana on it feels awesome.

This was one of my first cards. I didn't even have enough swamps to play him in my first deck. Some kindly nerd gave me some Beta swamps at a local con so I could cast it. Been hooked on terrible black decks to this day.

Hell yeah. This, Demonic Hordes…loved these beefy demon dudes (even though I refused to play black as a child because oh no the Devil!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

waffles beyond waffles posted:

This dude, a Dark Ritual or two, breeding pit = good times

Soldier of Fortune is another hilarious poo poo card to troll your friends with if you can give him protection and vigilance and have some red mana available or treasures?? Oh what's that you keep scrying? Yeah keep shuffling your poo poo.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 30, 2021