Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Q5WT1rsrw
I don't think there's any other build that can compete with bomb dog and it needs a big nerf.

Infinite secondary skill ammo with a 30% chance on using secondary skill to throw approx. 32 grenades, each consecutive grenade dealing an extra +50% damage. It struggles through the first zone in R8 because of not having enough ways to keep its grenade count up but usually by zone 2-3 of the desert it's pretty much doing what's shown in the video. This was only R1 but it has similar power even on R8 once it gets up and running.

I accidentally ended the video early for the boss kill but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVnk-Mm3ao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I hope you're using AHK, for sake of your health and keyboard.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I at least bound secondary skill to a button on the side of my mouse but I may as well do LMB if I keep playing bomb dog :sweatdrop:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Looks like decent sized update has released with tweaks to the Pole Monarch's final phase along with a bunch of bug fixes and their usual round of optimizations.

One bugfix stands out, which confirmed one of my previous suspicions and also makes Elite Arsonist much more dangerous again:

-Fixed an issue where players might not get hit by poison gas when getting too close to [Elite Arsonist].

Well poo poo, I'm pretty sure it was just out strafing them cause if you stood still they could still hit ya, but maybe it was straight up a bug? Time to splat a bunch again to these jerks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Pole monarch no longer being a hard fail if you miss the dps check is much better. The final rage phase is ridiculous so you definitely wanna kill him in that check, but at least it's not an autofail now.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
started a new job a couple months ago and just found out one of my coworkers plays this too. playing with them got me my first nightmare win. Im very close to maxing the generic talents, but have only gotten the class specific talents for the lightning cat and the bunny

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

That's legit pretty awesome. Once you have the generic talents maxed out is when Nightmare and Reincarnation both become a lot more consistent. I do think hero specific wise Bird and Turtle all benefit the most from having all their talents whilst the others all only have specific ones that are really good.

Been playing a little co-op on R8 and man the difference between solo and even two people is ridiculous. Enemies have so much more HP, letting them stay alive longer keeping their threats active for longer. You really gotta hit a strong build quickly or have a strong spiritual blessing to handle the amount of bulk you have to chew through.

Unrelated, Healing is now up there with Defensive Robust enhanced enemies as The WorstTM enhancements, but only if there are multiple around in the same room.

Like literally every enemy has the Healing tag. From a challenge room. Probably the most bullshit thing I've run into in a while.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can anyone make an argument for actually taking the talent that makes buns heal shields/armor? It seems bad, like I'd rather have the bun sitting there in case I take health damage.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It makes buns actually help you with Paranormality equipped and kind of does the same thing you'd want it for mid fight anyway even if you don't have that scroll. Also helps Bird out a lot if you're in between Leaps and don't have Defensive Cleave yet. There's also a bunch more ways to heal HP now so it's less crucial to save buns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, Rebirth 8 just sucks. I can only speak for playing with 4 players (I'm not into playing solo) but the health inflation is so absurd that it effectively invalidates most of the characters. I've beat it a few times now because it's still fairly uncommon to find lower rebirth levels in public games.

Skills have such poor scaling compared to weapons that on 4-player R8, skill damage based builds are only moderately viable if you get every conceivable skill damage scroll, on top of getting the right ascensions. There are only two exceptions to this. First, the turtle's punch build is... okay. I don't play the turtle so I'm not very familiar with his mechanics but I know the punch has super high base damage (like 2-4x other skills) and he has a lot of skill damage baked into his ascensions, which lessens the burden of not having flawless skill damage scrolls. His shield is great for R8 and I see him get played a lot in public R8 games where he often beats anyone but bomb dog in damage dealt. The other exception is bomb dog, specifically because he has the glorious "+50% skill damage for 1s (stacking) when throwing a bomb" phantom scroll that you can reroll for before the start of act 1, combined with his ability to throw up to 32 bombs with a single secondary skill use - even without skill damage scrolls this is, in my experience, the single strongest offensive tool in the entire game.

The prince's poison grenades are very strong on R8 but not for their damage - the grenade-based ascensions for him are mostly traps in 4 player R8 (the one that reduces its damage increment rules and so does the one that massively debuffs the enemy's damage taken/damage dealt) because what makes him and the grenades good is the ability to pick up a shock weapon and apply 9 stacks of miasma to everything all the time, and you can do that just as well with a build that isn't based around the grenades.

The lightning cat is effectively useless on 4-player R8. Even with an absolutely perfect build that contains every skill damage scroll and enhanced versions of the important ones, his lightning skills barely scratch enemies past the first 1 or 2 stages in the first act. His sniper build is neutered too, because to put it to best use requires stringing together kills with Fatal Current-charged shots. On 4 player R8 even with a great weapon damage build and a great weapon it's unlikely that you'll be able to one-shot most enemies to keep the chain going and he ends up doing nothing special.

The bird is borderline unusable. His ascension that can recharge Cleaves requires landing killing blows and Cleave does such low damage that this is a struggle even with a tricked out skill damage build. Enemies do so much damage that your armor/shield goes down to virtually any single hit in the game, and you can't rely on spamming Defensive Cleave on a big group of enemies to keep your shields up when A) that doesn't recharge your shields enough to keep you alive (even the weakest shots deal ~150ish damage) and B) you can't keep up enough Cleave charges, even with the phantom skill to recharge one every 3 seconds.

The rabbit is pretty middle of the line - her problems are that her main source of heavy damage (Ice Blades phantom scroll) caps out at 5k damage on Elites and Bosses - and that means caps at 5k, even with +skill damage. Her skills do pitiful damage in the first place - but her RoF/Spam swords for weapon damage buff build is okay. It's probably not as good as a dual wield dog doing the same thing and it's definitely not as good as a bomb dog or punch turtle.

Game is still good but it's just a bummer that massive HP inflation is the end-game content :(

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Solo play on R8 has really been my favorite way to play, pretty much every character is viable as long as you get the right build going fast enough, with some heros doing better early game vs later game. I've had some fun with two player co-op even but it becomes really painfully obvious you need to hit your build early-ish to not wipe. On solo you can coast a bit because a strong enough early game winner gets you the time to get your build rolling by the end of Desert.

I genuinely can't imagine the amount of HP inflation for 4 player.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 5, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Finished a R2 run with bomb dog, holy poo poo. That's some crazy poo poo. What sort of builds are like that from the other characters?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nothing is quite as easy as Bomb dog to get going since the Spiritual Blessing is strong by itself, but Cleave Bird and Punch Turtle are both pretty similar in terms of all you need is your secondary skill to win. Grenade Dog just does it a lot safer since he can do it at range.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

cage-free egghead posted:

Finished a R2 run with bomb dog, holy poo poo. That's some crazy poo poo. What sort of builds are like that from the other characters?
Yeah, I just played Dog on the first time @ Reincarnation, and even after skipping a Bomb skill on the first Spiritual Blessing (dumb!) I got Atomic Doggle at the start of World 2 and never looked back. By the Ice World I wasn't even using my gun anymore.

A+ would recommend.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Dual Wield Dog can be pretty baller too. Hope for the ascension that extends the duration of Dual Wield for every 100(?) ammo you spend, then get enough ways to ignore ammo through ascensions and scrolls that you can spam shots to have permanent dual wield - the dual wield ascensions provide some huge buffs to all kinds of things while dual wielding. This is very reliant on getting the ascension to extend the duration of Dual Wield or some other way to have it be mostly-permanent, and ammo will be a problem unless you luck into some good scrolls to take care of it.

Rabbit can be extremely strong with the right build - go heavy on RoF with something like a laser glove, put the "weapons share crit" gemini on it, get another weapon with high CritX and put the same gemini on. Then shoot for ascensions like: After spending X ammo +RoF, 10% chance on shot to fire a sword (don't take multiple ranks of this though), +%weapon dmg for every sword fired recently, +%weapon damage for every stack of sword. This one is very reliant on getting good ascensions and scrolls all around though. When it works, it works very well and you'll have a 1400 rounds per minute laser glove with so much lucky shot chance that every hit is purple and crits for 50k.

One of bomb dog's many benefits is that it literally only takes Atomic Bomb for him to be "good enough" and you can guarantee that if you have enough spirit points to spend at the start of the game.

Something I've wanted to try but haven't is a Rabbit build that uses shotguns and starting with the ability that reduces the number of hits Fatal Bloom takes to trigger from the starting mushroom hat guy. Fatal Bloom's damage proc triggers every X times you "deal weapon damage" which means each individual pellet from a shotgun is counted. With the ascension and that spiritual blessing it only takes two pellets to trigger the bonus damage, so something like a Porcupine could trigger it ~7.5 times per shot. It would probably be mediocre at best playing 4 player high rebirth but in a smaller group or at lower rebirth levels I bet it could melt things. On the other hand since you'd be splitting your ascensions between gun stuff and fatal bloom damage it might not scale hard enough.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 5, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

deep dish peat moss posted:

The lightning cat is effectively useless on 4-player R8. Even with an absolutely perfect build that contains every skill damage scroll and enhanced versions of the important ones, his lightning skills barely scratch enemies past the first 1 or 2 stages in the first act. His sniper build is neutered too, because to put it to best use requires stringing together kills with Fatal Current-charged shots. On 4 player R8 even with a great weapon damage build and a great weapon it's unlikely that you'll be able to one-shot most enemies to keep the chain going and he ends up doing nothing special.

The bird is borderline unusable. His ascension that can recharge Cleaves requires landing killing blows and Cleave does such low damage that this is a struggle even with a tricked out skill damage build. Enemies do so much damage that your armor/shield goes down to virtually any single hit in the game, and you can't rely on spamming Defensive Cleave on a big group of enemies to keep your shields up when A) that doesn't recharge your shields enough to keep you alive (even the weakest shots deal ~150ish damage) and B) you can't keep up enough Cleave charges, even with the phantom skill to recharge one every 3 seconds.

This is surprising (without having seen what R8 4-person health pools look like) since I figure Tiger's sniper build with stacking sniper multipliers (and lightning bolts on every crit) feels like it would still do very high damage, with similar reasons for Bird's Wild Hunt build. Would they really fall off that badly?

edit: Oh this was explicitly in the context of skill-based builds, wasn't it. If that's the case then yeah, Tiger has absolutely nothing viable and Cleave becomes a way to apply the bonus damage mark while hoping the Leap damage ascension scales high enough to not just tickle

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 5, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, at the end of the day any build that focuses on making weapons better is good enough to get by in the context of 4player R8 because if you just keep upgrading a gun and pick up a bunch of scrolls that make guns better, it will scale well enough to contribute. The actual utility of Fatal Current buffing your next weapon shot as lightning cat is severely hampered by the fact that you won't be able to chain Fatal Currents off of each other with the kind of HP enemies have - you just get the one (?) bonus damage shot each cast of it. When I tried it, going with ascensions like the one that reduces Fatal Current cooldown when you hit with Chain Lightning wasn't even worth it because of how miniscule the skill damage on Chain Lightning becomes.

Other than that it's a fine and workable build for the context of R8 4-player but it really pales in comparison to builds tailored to pushing sustained DPS to its limit, and those builds are given an opportunity to shine in R8.

I thought I had a gif of standing there just shooting a Confused enhanced spearman in the head for 30+ seconds with my team but I don't - here's a screenshot I took after my first R8 win for context of the HP scaling:

That's a total of 1.305 billion damage dealt by all 4 players combined. This was a run where no one was playing Bomb Dog or Miasma Cat (I didn't even understand elemental effects yet and wasn't using any lightning damage as the prince). In a run with a lucky Bomb Dog you would see them with like 1 billion damage dealt, and the other 300million split up among everyone else and the run would have been about 30 minutes shorter :v: The lightning cat's damage here can be partially attributed to his lightning skills proccing miasma off of my corrosion but that was a sniper build and they topped the damage done.

e: A lot of the public game R8 wins I've had have involved people trading their scrolls around to create 1-2 superbuilds, usually discussing their builds so people know what others are looking for, etc - that part of it is kinda fun and it sort of feels like a streamlined version of the new-content gearing rush in an MMO. Elites feel a bit like raid bosses though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 5, 2021

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I need to try this bomb thing it. I've only been playing Lei Luo and find the bow that breaks into three.

You can get some pretty crazy abilities that apply to every reload, first shot or full ammo, which is every shot with the bow.

For example, there is a scroll to get invinsibility on reload with a 2 sec cool down.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

The actual utility of Fatal Current buffing your next weapon shot as lightning cat is severely hampered by the fact that you won't be able to chain Fatal Currents

He has a combo that will deal Fatal Current damage on every crit hit with the Ascension that causes chain lightning on crits and the Blessing(?) that causes a bolt when shock is applied--I might be misremembering what all is needed, but it's an option. It might not be a gamechanger in terms of additional damage, but it at least makes it more likely you won't have ascension picks that are wasted when none are +Sniper damage

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Y'know what, deep dish peat moss inspired me to do my own thoughts for the various heros on Reincarnation 8, but from the view of a solo player. R8 solo has a lot less health inflation but enemies still have a shitload of HP so you need some kind of strong sustained DPS option, especially for elites and bosses. The real danger is that enemies move faster, do a lot more damage and have enough HP keeping them alive to stay a threat longer. It really forces knowing the right tools to have at the right points in the game and the right target priority. A solo player is playing rocket tag except all the enemies are armor plated tanks with multi-rocket launchers and you, the player, have a pistol, the clothes on your back , and a dream.

So here's the dream for each hero:

Cat: SMOG ZONE is the spiritual blessing to go with, for the simple fact it provides some DR for you and massively increases both the lifetime of your smoke grenades along with their size. You don't actually want to go all in on smoke grenade upgrades, but Hex Smoke is a must take until it is level 3 no matter what. Your choice of elemental weapons, preferably a lightning one early helps carry you early (via Miasma) to get through to the end of Desert where you've hopefully hit a strong bunch of ascensions and scrolls. Relies heavily on finding a strong weapon combo for sustained DPS, but staying ahead of the enemy health curve isn't too hard with Cat. Solid choice for solo R8.

Dog: Atomic Bomb is right there, I don't really need to say anything else. If you get double grenades and a few levels of Grenade Master for the +% base damage and % chance to not spend grenades on cast, congrats you won. Your only job is to pick up appropriate defensive measures via ascensions and occult scrolls, with some utility scrolls that help keep the grenades flowing. Probably the easiest hero to beat R8 solo with, having both the strongest sustained dps build right off the bat and some of the best defensive ascensions in the game. Hubris is really your only enemy.

Bird: Cleave build works, but you NEED to get Easy Kill in early Longling tomb, along with other cleave ascensions. If you don't get at least one Cleave Carnival and Fierce Wings for sustainability and to keep your damage above the enemy health curve, you're gonna struggle even with Easy Kill early. Spiritual Blessing wise Bird is the weakest, I think Bladed Cleave (execute reg enemies below 25% health, 15% for elites/bosses) is a trap early because you need to get enemies below the health threshold before Bladed Cleave will proc. Oppressor is probably the best choice for providing damage when you need it or DR when you need it, though I haven't tried Unstoppable Momentum yet. The best choices might be Ultimate Gambler to help force Cleave ascensions or Skill Freak to just double your Cleave damage and get you ahead of the curve. If you can get Cleave build rolling you will absolutely destroy the game, but the window for hitting it is much tighter than lower difficulties. Needs defensive scrolls as well with at least Defensive Cleave or Regen Leap to help keep your armor up. I'll admit I haven't tried shotgun or Leap builds because I'm addicted to Cleave.

Tiger: Ha. Ha ha. No. Lighting Messenger is actually a really solid Spiritual Blessing, but Tiger is so inherently squishy and lacking in defensive ascensions that an enemy looking at you will kill you. Don't bother picking up sniper weapons till later, or at least never stand still scoped ever or you will die. I legit have not made it out of Tomb yet with Tiger yet because he struggles so hard without a frontline to give him space. Trust me, I've tried numerous times. I'm willing to admit it's lack of practice with the hero however.

Bunny: Fantastic choice, Ice Blades is the early game power you need to clear levels and deal with elites early with an honorable mention to Blade Master as the gambler's scaling choice. If you get both, congrats on basically winning. You really want Sword Guard and Sword Enthusiast with Luminous Heart to raise the floor of how many swords you have when your primary comes off CD. If you can hit some of it, her sustained DPS build is nuts and pretty much only beaten by Grenade Dog imo for damage, though Bunny beats out in survivability if you max out Sword Guard. Top tier pick imo, but I also just love shooting swords and big mags dumping bullets constantly. Final thought: if you see Against The Flow, TAKE IT. Absolutely the most necessary scroll in the game for Bunny.

Turtle: Punch Turtle is pretty much the only build because all his other ascensions are either partially or totally defensive in nature, with the only real offensive ones being +% damage in nature or damage reflect. Dominating Fist is his best exclusive blessing by far, off the bat it's a flat 100% damage bonus to punches while also synergizing with a whole bunch of different ascensions. You really want Wave Breaking Blow and Dark Tide, along with maxing out Rogue Wave and some levels in Clenched Fist if you can swing it. Ultimate Gambler is also an option for spiritual blessing simply because it'll let you force punch build more easily, but I definitely notice not having Dominating Fist later on if you max out Rogue Wave. Defensive scrolls still help, but honestly Turtle already has the best defensive option in the game with his Tidal Aspis so looking for utility (Dash scrolls, secondary skill scrolls) and offensive stuff that boosts his punch damage. You can absolutely punch your way through the game if you get the right ascensions at the right time, including bosses (even Wind God!), but like Bird the timing window is tight to get what you need. Also can totally get screwed by RNG.

I've got no real words on the 4th world because by the time I've gotten there every single time I've had a build so broken nothing survives me looking at it, including the final boss. If you're playing solo and gotten to the point of killing the world 3 boss, you'll know if you can handle the 4th world or not with your build.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The actual utility of Fatal Current buffing your next weapon shot as lightning cat is severely hampered by the fact that you won't be able to chain Fatal Currents off of each other with the kind of HP enemies have - you just get the one (?) bonus damage shot each cast of it.

One of the many reasons why I think Strike Wing is the most busted sniper in the game is because the 3 additional splinter projectiles will also inherit the Fatal Current extra damage, and if any of those projectiles kill an enemy (like a random lantern or a low HP coyote), you'll get a Fatal Current refresh for it. So it follows that you can usually get 2-3 recasts of Fatal Current even in R8 with a Strike Wing, provided your damage is decent enough beforehand (with good scrolls or weapon upgrades). The fact that the bow is also great at clearing groups of trash enemies AND somehow really good against singular strong enemies as well (don't ask me how that works) is also really nice

Imo the tiger is the most overall solid character to bring to later difficulties, especially in group sessions, because he can comfortably carry all the horribly suicidal scrolls like Deadly Curse and Dual Edge since he typically hangs out outside enemy aggro range in combat. He doesn't really need any specific ascensions to be useful and he gets free snipers from bosses, so he never really turns useless. Having built-in shock is also nice.

(I guess the grenade dog is the most broken OP character for now but I suspect that will get changed)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 5, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Once you start to really understand how to optimize things, and what works together, you get some wild runs in this game. Just finished Reincarnation 2 with this gun, and it might be one of the best feeling things I've played.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

CubeTheory posted:

Once you start to really understand how to optimize things, and what works together, you get some wild runs in this game. Just finished Reincarnation 2 with this gun, and it might be one of the best feeling things I've played.

Seeing Red Numbers(TM) pop up, even if the only difference between red and purple is an element proc, is an instant dopamine hit and builds like this serve it up constantly, I love this dumb lightning cat

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Seeing Red Numbers(TM) pop up, even if the only difference between red and purple is an element proc, is an instant dopamine hit and builds like this serve it up constantly, I love this dumb lightning cat

purple text is double lucky hit, red text is triple lucky hit. Nothing to do with elemental procs!

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

purple text is double lucky hit, red text is triple lucky hit. Nothing to do with elemental procs!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why I thought it was that purple was crit hit+lucky hit and red was that and an elemental proc, but this made the red numbers even better, so thank you

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Last time i played elemental cat as a sniper with a sweet piercing flame, last night I played sniper cat as an elemental wizard with a Sting loaded with Lucky Shot. Would recommend.

Lightning from the void (every crit does chain lightning) + Thunderbolt converter (+100% dmg and 40% LS on hit after chain lightning) + circuit (connect enemies to share 100% of dmg taken every chain lightning). The 3rd shot on sting was doing 800k+ damage on lucky shots and just obliterating groups in the frost stage

https://i.imgur.com/VFNGD6V.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CubeTheory posted:

Yeah, % chance to create <element> ball on a rapid fire weapon is the closest thing to a win button this game has, pre crazy reincarnation buffs at least. Even better when that procs on an already elemental weapon with a different element so now you're getting free combo debuffs all the time :getin:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I got my first R8 clear last night with my buddy that I did co-op with from Normal onward. It was a pretty easy run all things considered, though also a good firsthand account that Ice Blades on Bunny is Not The Strat(TM) since I only edged out his Prince by 10m damage in what would have been a landslide if I'd gone more heavily into weapon damage ascensions.

The challenge in the Fjord that turns all enemies into either an exploding lantern or a white shark when they die can go gently caress itself though--I love it, it's so funny

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Grats on your first R8 clear! And yeah, Ice Blades isn't gonna carry you the entire way but it's a first spiritual blessing to carry you through Tomb and most of Desert while you pull a build together, and is at least always relevant vs some of the Enhanced enemy types. I find the real tripping point of R8 is just surviving the early game and Ice Blades helps solve that problem much better than almost any other blessing Bunny can take. Blade Master is The Scaling blessing because Sword Enthusiast and Sword Guard are both nuts if you can max them out and stack them with Blade Master. Getting both is a surefire win if you have the right ascensions though, along with a very large mag size gun.

Some of the challenges that pop in R8 are loving terrifying. Especially the Desert version of "on death spawns X small enemy or Y big enemy", multiple big bandit boys charging you with their big armor-y bodies gets overwhelming really fast if you only have an adequate build. I'm real glad they changed the one R8 challenge to just delaying all enemy deaths instead of the OG version.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I updated the OP with the new heroes and removed everything related to Early Access.

As for the thread title, there are like half a dozen mods, and I don't know any of them anymore and have no idea who's active or who wants to be bothered with it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You can PM a mod or admin or even report one of your own posts with the request specified.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Solod my way through nightmare to the 4th stage for the first time. Was bunny and used a fire glove for basically the entire run. My main problem was I upgraded it too much too soon and couldnt afford to inscribe it so I never had gemini. Got it to +23 before dying stupidly while getting too close to some of the mounted dudes

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the mounted penguins are 100% the most terrifying enemy in the 4th world. If you kill the penguin first the monkey they were riding super powers up getting incredibly tanky and aggressive, with a UFO around it's the most threatening thing around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3114800719175535594

Turtle rebalanced (Battle Adrenaline is nerfed, but other three talents are buffed)

Dog is buffed (he needed it, beyond the gimmicky build nades)
Tiger is buffed too.

Cat is rebalanced, the stats changed to:
HP: 80→65
Shield: 50→65
Shield recovery delay: 3.5s→3s
Which is strange as he was the oldest character.

Sunder and Argus have changed somwhat.

Final boss slightly buffed (which is ok imo, if you reached the boss stage, you usually had a build to give him a whopping).

A bunch of balance changes for Reinc players.

Added unlockable frames for each hero. Each frame for each hero comes with a unique challenge for you to complete.

And finally a fail in the bug fixing section. They fixed 68 bugs. They had to fix one more! :P

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3114800719175535594

Turtle rebalanced (Battle Adrenaline is nerfed, but other three talents are buffed)

Dog is buffed (he needed it, beyond the gimmicky build nades)
Tiger is buffed too.

Cat is rebalanced, the stats changed to:
HP: 80→65
Shield: 50→65
Shield recovery delay: 3.5s→3s
Which is strange as he was the oldest character.

Sunder and Argus have changed somwhat.

Final boss slightly buffed (which is ok imo, if you reached the boss stage, you usually had a build to give him a whopping).

A bunch of balance changes for Reinc players.

Added unlockable frames for each hero. Each frame for each hero comes with a unique challenge for you to complete.

And finally a fail in the bug fixing section. They fixed 68 bugs. They had to fix one more! :P

You forgot the most important buff!

quote:

Bosses’ cutscenes are now skippable.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, Dog buffs Dog buffs! He's been my least favorite character for a while, so I'm glad to see something for him. Cat buffs are neat too, he could use that little bump in survivability.

Also glad to see Sunder changes. It's a weapon I usually avoid taking just because it actively felt bad to use, so hopefully the new version's better.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Do folks have any tips for nightmare mode?
We're barely getting through the first act and it's taking us ages to clear rooms.

Like I thought I was getting the hang of it on elite but now I'm just getting crushed.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Golden Goat posted:

Do folks have any tips for nightmare mode?
We're barely getting through the first act and it's taking us ages to clear rooms.

Like I thought I was getting the hang of it on elite but now I'm just getting crushed.

Have you maxed out all the talents? Nightmare+ is where that really makes a huge difference. It took me a long time to get used to nightmare and even now sometimes I'll just die to some stupid stuff on act 1.

Need careful positioning around traps, always be moving, and a couple early defensive scrolls/chalices help out a ton

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I haven't maxed out the tree yet I'm about lv 126.

Maybe we should stick to elite for a bit then until we have more of the tree maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

These changes all look pretty drat good actually, they even buffed a bunch of enhanced occult scrolls. The Gunfire devs do a solid job of making weaker things stronger instead of just always nerfing the really strong things unless they're extremely ridiculous.

Golden Goat posted:

I haven't maxed out the tree yet I'm about lv 126.

Maybe we should stick to elite for a bit then until we have more of the tree maxed out.

If you're at level 126 and have the combat stats tree maxed out along with having exclusive inscriptions unlocked, y'all should be able to beat Nightmare.

The biggest difference between Elite and Nightmare imo is it's the first point the game starts making you have to respect every enemies damage, and not just the usual big threats (longbow variants etc). Especially in Longling Tomb, things stop tickling and start actually hurting. Suddenly 3 grunts hitting you is a genuine danger and not something you can just take on the chin.

To expend on Always Be Moving, if you aren't moving towards or away from enemies, strafe left/right instead. On Nightmare enemies have better tracking than before, but not good enough yet that strafing helps significantly still. I also habitually bunny hop in this game as I find it helps too, but that's personal preference. Having a piece of cover to dip behind for a moment helps immensely as well.

A lot of winning Nightmare is understanding the spawns and what kind of damage you need at different points of the game, along with what kind of inscriptions you want on any particular weapon to make it truly busted. Don't be afraid to go through a couple different weapons, and if you find a solid one slap a few weapon upgrades in it at a weapon smith. No need to go overboard with upgrades till you find an absolutely busted weapon, which is usually at the end of Desert and in world 3. After that just getting the right gemini inscriptions on is the most important thing, probably better than just slamming weapon levels.