Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm up in Northern Ontario and folks are apoplectic over this.

It should’ve never have loving started. Having any tournaments, or any crowds, should have never loving happened, but MAH SPORTS and MAH CAPITALISM

Come at me, Northern Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ChickenDoodle posted:

It should’ve never have loving started. Having any tournaments, or any crowds, should have never loving happened, but MAH SPORTS and MAH CAPITALISM

The fact that they originally cancelled the women juniors while allowing the men to go forward is also very telling

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

They'll never find out; they don't have the internet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
don cherry must be spinning in his grave

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mister Speaker posted:

God drat it you got my hopes up! :mad: That would’ve at least been an interesting end to the year instead of this “gently caress it we’re all gonna die anyway” poo poo.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They'll never find out; they don't have the internet.

Hey, you're now able to pay hundreds of dollars to Elon Musk for Starlink!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've been watching some NFB stuff lately and you can, too! They've added some pretty neat stuff recently.

Some People Have to Suffer (1976)

quote:

This film documents a community's struggle to survive in the face of government indifference and the political and financial clout of industrial developers. In 1953 the residents of Bridgeview, British Columbia, were promised sewers; following years of debate, frustration, meetings and verbiage, construction started in 1977. The film interviews some of the residents, who state their opinions frankly both to the camera and at meetings. When the film was shown at the Habitat conference in Vancouver, 1976, press coverage noted: "The Third World is merely twenty miles from the site of Habitat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DyWzdEw9ac

4:28: "Bridgeview is one of the few areas in greater Vancouver where a working class family can afford to own a home"

There's also a book that discusses this situation called "Mudflat Dreaming" i would like to get my hands on.

The Rise and Fall of English Montreal (1993)

quote:

In the past 20 years, some 300,000 English-speaking people have left Montréal, convinced they had no future in a Québec that had become increasingly French, increasingly nationalistic. In this video we meet some of the people who are moving away and recall the days, in the last century, when there were more English-speaking people than French in Montréal. The video poses a controversial question: Will the city, with its youth leaving in great numbers, become a community of the elderly, unable to renew itself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoYIZwPXXWU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Update in BC:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1476330408614588416?s=21

B.C. health officials announced a record-breaking 2,944 new cases of COVID-19 since Tuesday and five more deaths since Dec. 24.

So your genius plan is to… let SOME kids go to school, and then a week later, let the rest?

Incompetent assholes, the lot of them.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
this is the best nfb documentary ever made
https://youtu.be/zi-f_J6hV-g

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChickenDoodle posted:

In fairness, what else is there to do in Northern Ontario in the winter

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

Update in BC:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1476330408614588416?s=21

B.C. health officials announced a record-breaking 2,944 new cases of COVID-19 since Tuesday and five more deaths since Dec. 24.

So your genius plan is to… let SOME kids go to school, and then a week later, let the rest?

Incompetent assholes, the lot of them.
Honestly surprised they didn't stick to "Dr. Bonnie (PBUH) sez kids don't spread covid. Schools are open."
Reducing the number of people in the building for a time might slow some of the spread, which is more than I expect from this clownshow of a gov

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

What a piss off, Madden's dead and Grapes is still hangin' in there...

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ChickenDoodle posted:

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I don't support or endorse the position below.

This is an acknowledgement that schools are a replacement for a functional child care system. The idea is that you allow children of essential workers to go to school so they have somewhere to be while their parents are working. In some provinces that instituted a plan like this, they cut if off for children of essential workers who would be old enough to care for themselves at home alone.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

I've been watching some NFB stuff lately and you can, too! They've added some pretty neat stuff recently.

4:28: "Bridgeview is one of the few areas in greater Vancouver where a working class family can afford to own a home"

There's also a book that discusses this situation called "Mudflat Dreaming" i would like to get my hands on.

On est au coton and Pour la suite du monde are NFB bangers too

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also Of Sport and Men

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also lol https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1476347001889431561?t=sYId6d73ANTYg6xDWUdIpA&s=19

Record breaking cases on fewer tests. We're all in on "it's probably the good covid", seemingly

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

We're all in on "it's probably the good covid", seemingly

I think it's more hoping, as it tentatively appears to be the case, that the skyrocketing case count doesn't translate to increased deaths or hospitalizations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

I think it's more hoping, as it tentatively appears to be the case, that the skyrocketing case count doesn't translate to increased deaths or hospitalizations.

Hasn't been the case in Uk, Denmark, or New York, but maybe we'll be different. There doesn't seem to be a plan if we're not, so let's all cross our fingers

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hasn't been the case in Uk, Denmark, or New York, but maybe we'll be different. There doesn't seem to be a plan if we're not, so let's all cross our fingers

In Denmark, the daily death count was increasing before the Omicron cases skyrocketed and the increase levelled of as Omicron skyrocketed.

In the UK deaths have remained level.

In NY, deaths have increased marginally.

However I did look into the hospitalizations in those locations and yeah it's concerning. Obviously deaths lag hospitalizations which lag cases, so now I'm a bit more concerned.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also Ontario and BC hospitalizations are ticking up.

Kenney has every incentive to, and has in the past, downplay the risk of COVID. The messaging so far has been that this is serious and unknown.

I'm not a cspam doomer, I accept Omicron may be less serious or lead to less deaths, but the case counts are absolutely exploding and the only way that's not disastrous is if Omicron IS way less serious. Even then, if we max out our hospitals, it'll still be bad.

I'm not presaging the end of society or whatever, just saying the numbers don't look good and there doesn't seem to be much of a plan other than lets hope it's less serious. Especially because if in late January we see hospitalizations spike past what we can handle, it'll be too late to do anything other than dig lots of graves

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm not a cspam doomer, I accept Omicron may be less serious or lead to less deaths, but the case counts are absolutely exploding and the only way that's not disastrous is if Omicron IS way less serious. Even then, if we max out our hospitals, it'll still be bad.

Well that and even if the hospitalizations and deaths are lower, if the long haul covid rates are similar it's going to be a nightmare. It's definitely not a good time to see a bunch of graphs turn to vertical asymptotes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

Well that and even if the hospitalizations and deaths are lower, if the long haul covid rates are similar it's going to be a nightmare. It's definitely not a good time to see a bunch of graphs turn to vertical asymptotes.

don't worry, once you get long covid you can't read any of the graphs so you won't care anyway

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Also Ontario and BC hospitalizations are ticking up.

Kenney has every incentive to, and has in the past, downplay the risk of COVID. The messaging so far has been that this is serious and unknown.

I'm not presaging the end of society or whatever, just saying the numbers don't look good and there doesn't seem to be much of a plan other than lets hope it's less serious. Especially because if in late January we see hospitalizations spike past what we can handle, it'll be too late to do anything other than dig lots of graves

Quebec just added 200+ in 2 days lets go woooooo

Who wants to deal with the post-christmas covid surge with 1.5 days worth of space for beds?

Quebec sure does.

29% positive rate.

13k cases a DAY

Been turning away people for pcrs and havent counted the positives coming from rapids for a week now.

poo poo.Is.hosed.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mister Speaker posted:

You made me learn that his brother's name is Dick Cherry (lol), so your hoodwinking is forgiven.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Where can I find wastewater COVID analysis data? I find lots of sites talking about how it’s being done, but no actual day to day graphs. Seems like viral load in wastewater would maybe give us an idea of just how prevalent Omicron is at this point.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The news on waste water testing is that omicron is basically 100% in all jurisdictions. There's been a bunch of small reports in early December with that (as ww testing leads general pcr testing by a couple of weeks). No ongoing reports that I have found though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powershift posted:

There's also a book called "Land of Destiny" about the history of Vancouver housing. It's well worth a read, but the TL;DR is that the city was literally founded on property speculation, which never really ended.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There's also a book called "Land of Destiny" about the history of Vancouver housing. It's well worth a read, but the TL;DR is that the city was literally founded on property speculation, which never really ended.

This is a very good book, FYI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You made me learn that his brother's name is Dick Cherry (lol), so your hoodwinking is forgiven.

Still nowhere as good as Canada's #1 Best-Named Sports Racist: Dick Pound.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InfiniteZero posted:

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I don't support or endorse the position below.

This is an acknowledgement that schools are a replacement for a functional child care system. The idea is that you allow children of essential workers to go to school so they have somewhere to be while their parents are working. In some provinces that instituted a plan like this, they cut if off for children of essential workers who would be old enough to care for themselves at home alone.

I work for the BC Ministry of Education and basically what it is is that someone at the top (I'm not sure if it's the minister or if its the top layers of civil service) are ALL IN on the idea that in-school education for children is the most important thing above anything else for social reasons and educational outcomes.

I have no opinion on the matter, not having kids myself

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alctel posted:

I work for the BC Ministry of Education and basically what it is is that someone at the top (I'm not sure if it's the minister or if its the top layers of civil service) are ALL IN on the idea that in-school education for children is the most important thing above anything else for social reasons and educational outcomes.

I have no opinion on the matter, not having kids myself

Nova Scotia is the same way but isn't doing the Children Of Essential Workers bit, which I think is what the OP is citing as the mask off indicator.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

stab posted:

Quebec just added 200+ in 2 days lets go woooooo

Who wants to deal with the post-christmas covid surge with 1.5 days worth of space for beds?

Quebec sure does.

29% positive rate.

13k cases a DAY

Been turning away people for pcrs and havent counted the positives coming from rapids for a week now.

poo poo.Is.hosed.

La Presse has sources that claim that they are reinstating the curfew today.

Jfc

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

13,000 new ontario covid cases as well in one day

gently caress knows what we have in BC as testing has broken now seemingly

Hopefully this IS a lot milder and the beginning of the end of covid or we are all hosed

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how BC is keeping its numbers down by pulling a Chernobyl and only measuring with a tool that's already maxed out. Just don't count rapid tests and allow your testing centers to be over capacity.

Imagine the money cities could save by only buying thermometers that can't measure temps below 0c. We wouldn't need to salt the roads or plow because the evidence wouldn't be there to justify such drastic action.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Baronjutter posted:

I love how BC is keeping its numbers down by pulling a Chernobyl and only measuring with a tool that's already maxed out. Just don't count rapid tests and allow your testing centers to be over capacity.

Imagine the money cities could save by only buying thermometers that can't measure temps below 0c. We wouldn't need to salt the roads or plow because the evidence wouldn't be there to justify such drastic action.

Ohhhhhhh so that explains why not a single loving main road was plowed this morning. The snow doesn’t exist!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alctel posted:

gently caress knows what we have in BC as testing has broken now seemingly

Testing never seemed to be in place in BC, or so it seemed from afar. Could someone not showing symptoms ever get a test? Though it certainly seems that what existed has broken down, it's like ruins crumbling a little more to dust.

Not surprised about that in the land of Bonnie "exponential growth is more likely with larger numbers" Henry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

Not surprised about that in the land of Bonnie "exponential growth is more likely with larger numbers" Henry.

It's really stunning how absolutely incompetent our leadership is pretty much all the way across the country.

Singularly unsuited to their jobs. It's maddening.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

pokeyman posted:

Testing never seemed to be in place in BC, or so it seemed from afar. Could someone not showing symptoms ever get a test? Though it certainly seems that what existed has broken down, it's like ruins crumbling a little more to dust.

It depends on what health authority you are in. I (and people I know) had no trouble getting tested in Island Health (even without symptoms), but apparently it was really tough to get tested in the vancouver coastal HA . Not sure about the others

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alctel posted:

It depends on what health authority you are in. I (and people I know) had no trouble getting tested in Island Health (even without symptoms), but apparently it was really tough to get tested in the vancouver coastal HA . Not sure about the others

Right on, glad to hear that. So easy for me to generalize when I'm not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PT6A posted:

It's really stunning how absolutely incompetent our leadership is pretty much all the way across the country.

Singularly unsuited to their jobs. It's maddening.

Unfortunately it’s more that their actual job and their job on paper are not the same thing