Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gawyn POV are definitely bottom tier POV chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The eye of the world is just Chekov’s gun. See also the one ring getting thrown in the fire at bilbo’s place.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Interesting article on S2 release date

Daily Express posted:

Sadly, no release date has been confirmed so far, though it will most likely be aiming for the summer or late-2022 release window.

However, it could arrive sooner than that
, as filming commenced back in July 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1540564/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-release-date

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DarkHorse posted:

Shohreh Agdashloo got roped into a Twitter conversation with Rafe because of fan involvement fan-casting her as Cadsuane and he actually said he had a specific role he always had her in mind for. No word if it was Cadsuane, the other popular suggestion was Sorilea

I'm all for colourblind casting, but when you've spent a certain amount of time setting up Aiel as redheaded I wouldn't be picking Aghdashloo for Sorilea.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'm all for colourblind casting, but when you've spent a certain amount of time setting up Aiel as redheaded I wouldn't be picking Aghdashloo for Sorilea.

Most of the women on the show wear wigs, even people you wouldn't expect to like Alanna.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Man, I know there's maybe a low reputation of people who watch TV, but I think they can handle the conundrum of 'redheads are generally Aiel, but not all Aiel are redheads' without breaking. Besides, by that point they will have met many Aiel - not every single actor is going to be a natural redhead. Wigs/dye exists. Finally, Sorilea is very old - they'd probably give her grey/white hair if anything.

This is a weird nitpick. Even in the books there was a ton of variety amongst Aiel in terms of hair colors.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't the books literally talk about some of them having pale/blondish hair as well lol

like it's not some 100% thing with red hair i'm pretty sure

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Brown, blonde, and of course ginger hair seem to have a near equal amount represented among the Aiel, with ginger hair being ahead. There's an even a few brunette Aiel.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

Man, I know there's maybe a low reputation of people who watch TV, but I think they can handle the conundrum of 'redheads are generally Aiel, but not all Aiel are redheads' without breaking.

Gentle reminder that some people were confused as to how Rand and Mat got money when suddenly they had no horses.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ad090 posted:

Brown, blonde, and of course ginger hair seem to have a near equal amount represented among the Aiel, with ginger hair being ahead. There's an even a few brunette Aiel.

this will be the two rivers villager casting thing all over again, won't it

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

There are people that pay attention to casting calls trying to glean show info but there hasn't been a call for hundreds of tall as gently caress gingers yet :ohdear:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh hey, I got to Rhuidean, and I noticed the past Aiel singing their Ogier song to stop the male channelers from going mad. I remember Loial mentioning that he tried teaching the tree song to the Traveling People but they decided it wasn't their song. Sounds like they had found it, but just didn't recognize it.

Didn't catch that on my read through all those years ago.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh hey, I got to Rhuidean, and I noticed the past Aiel singing their Ogier song to stop the male channelers from going mad. I remember Loial mentioning that he tried teaching the tree song to the Traveling People but they decided it wasn't their song. Sounds like they had found it, but just didn't recognize it.

Didn't catch that on my read through all those years ago.

The Song isn't really a song, it's a metaphor.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ok this made me laugh

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Also got to Rhuidean last night, and still appreciating there being some WoT memes out there.

Saw this one as "Another turning of the Wheel" and it took me back to that :wtc: scene later on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

We had maybe 2 minutes devoted to Stepin. Every other minute he's on screen, a more important character is also in the scene reacting to Stepin.

Faile is a character who fits "They only hit you because they love you" thing.

So I just did my reread and Faile doesn’t hit Perrin NEARLY like people ITT imply. She jabs him in the ribs once when he’s being a dick to Moiraine(??), she slaps him after he physically grabs her and throws her out of a room, she slaps him when he rides ahead of her into the Ways after Tear and he retaliates by paddling her rear end until she can’t sit down, and thats it.

Compare to Nyanaeve or any Aes Sedai including the Wondergirls using physical force on whoever they want whenever they want and Faile comes off as measured.

Honestly I was way more taken aback by the sex assault description of Lan kissing Nyanaeve. He grabs her and she struggles and kicks and hits him until he kisses her into submission. That poo poo hits different these days.

Speaking of partner violence and Nyanaeve, when Lan tells her that he’s bonded to Myrelle, she full-body slaps him like 3-4 times then punches him in the stomach as hard as she can.

Ooh! And remember when Sulin kicks Rand in the balls and the Maidens deliver a gang imitation beat down?

I’m starting to think RJ had a fetish.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

navyjack posted:

So I just did my reread and Faile doesn’t hit Perrin NEARLY like people ITT imply. She jabs him in the ribs once when he’s being a dick to Moiraine(??), she slaps him after he physically grabs her and throws her out of a room, she slaps him when he rides ahead of her into the Ways after Tear and he retaliates by paddling her rear end until she can’t sit down, and thats it.

Compare to Nyanaeve or any Aes Sedai including the Wondergirls using physical force on whoever they want whenever they want and Faile comes off as measured.

Honestly I was way more taken aback by the sex assault description of Lan kissing Nyanaeve. He grabs her and she struggles and kicks and hits him until he kisses her into submission. That poo poo hits different these days.

Speaking of partner violence and Nyanaeve, when Lan tells her that he’s bonded to Myrelle, she full-body slaps him like 3-4 times then punches him in the stomach as hard as she can.

Ooh! And remember when Sulin kicks Rand in the balls and the Maidens deliver a gang imitation beat down?

I’m starting to think RJ had a fetish.

Does someone have that chart with all the times braids are tugged, arms are crossed underneath breasts, etc?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does someone have that chart with all the times braids are tugged, arms are crossed underneath breasts, etc?

bonus

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has someone a chart of the number of spankings because there are a lot

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

It's not very accurate, so the count must be higher. I ran into an arms crossed beneath breasts line in The Great Hunt within minutes of last time I saw the chart.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

navyjack posted:

So it's not "Faile loves him and she shows her affection with violence" because she does it some number of times less than you thinking what people are claiming even when they don't claim a number?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Killer robot posted:

It's not very accurate, so the count must be higher. I ran into an arms crossed beneath breasts line in The Great Hunt within minutes of last time I saw the chart.

I just checked the ios books copy on my phone

What version do you have

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

I just checked the ios books copy on my phone

What version do you have

Try "Crossed her arms"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Try "Crossed her arms"

aha there is one!

Not my chart :shrug: I seem to recall a different one out there somewhere with colored graphs

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

From chapter 3

quote:

She jumped when he popped out right in front of her, and her breath caught loudly, but what she said was, “So there you are. Mat and Perrin told me what you did. And Loial. I know what you’re trying to do, Rand, and it is plain foolish.” She crossed her arms under her breasts, and her big, dark eyes fixed him sternly. He always wondered how she managed to seem to be looking down at him—she did it at will—although she was only as tall as his chest, and two years younger besides.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Try "Crossed her arms"

You can almost look up "her breasts" since the word is hardly used otherwise in most of the books, but only almost, while the rest of the phrase varies.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

They used to that "clothed in the light" :colbert:

You're lucky it's only a cock-check

that scene is so problematic

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Why?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Killer robot posted:

Saw this one as "Another turning of the Wheel" and it took me back to that :wtc: scene later on.

Hello yes I would like to see Rand hang dong.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The original book one?

1) Obviously the authors jackoff fantasy. "this women-only group must have elaborate naked rituals where we talk about boobs, as I do constantly in my writing"
2) Not all women have breasts. What happens if you don't? Does some judgy Sitter hold the meeting up? Do you need to have big boobs to be a sitter? I have so many questions
3) Body parts equated with femininity
4) "Remember, this used to be done full nude, those were the days amirite"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

They used to that "clothed in the light" :colbert:

You're lucky it's only a cock-check

I don't think that's a real scene.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There’s at least 3 arms crossed beneath breasts in The Shadow Rising

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I don't think that's a real scene.

it was in the tower's secret histories

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Now I gotta figure out what to read next , I liked Sanderson's writing so I may pick up a series of his I dunno.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Now I gotta figure out what to read next , I liked Sanderson's writing so I may pick up a series of his I dunno.

You read first law yet by Joe Abercrombie? I’m going back through the stand alone novels cause dude just apparently dropped a whole new trilogy in like 3 years or so.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Malazan :doit:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Harton posted:

You read first law yet by Joe Abercrombie? I’m going back through the stand alone novels cause dude just apparently dropped a whole new trilogy in like 3 years or so.

Yeah I've read the first law has he followed it up with something else?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Sir have you ever read Wizards First Rule? It's the start of a series and the author has some really good ideas that can also apply to your daily life

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

you read 15 elf books, so read a non-elf book for a change

i'd recommend patrick o'brian's aubrey maturin series, it's a comedy of manners with naval warfare set during the napoleonic wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I've read the first law has he followed it up with something else?

There are 3 stand alone books that take place after the trilogy that are cool and move the story forward. Now there are 3 more books that is a full on sequel to the entire story.