Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Oh and Google maps has been offering unpaved forest service roads as route alternatives over literal mountains in this mega storm. So tech bro in his "all wheel drive" Mercedes...lol.

So I don't know poo poo about the other stuff (sounds bad OP - unironically), but I took some of these type of roads (because google routed me on them) back in the fall in the coastal hilly forests of Oregon when I was hunting and holy poo poo they were a bear to navigate with full sunny weather, no rain, but still just narrow and overgrown and abrupt endings off of cliffs or boulders in the literal middle of the road. But yeah dump feet of snow on top and then yeah that's a good way to get places. :rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

tangy yet delightful posted:

So I don't know poo poo about the other stuff (sounds bad OP - unironically), but I took some of these type of roads (because google routed me on them) back in the fall in the coastal hilly forests of Oregon when I was hunting and holy poo poo they were a bear to navigate with full sunny weather, no rain, but still just narrow and overgrown and abrupt endings off of cliffs or boulders in the literal middle of the road. But yeah dump feet of snow on top and then yeah that's a good way to get places. :rubby:

Yeah that's Oregon. This is Tahoe specifically which is nestled in the center of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Sort of like an high altitude lake in the cradle of the Rockies. Very steep and very hard for a non4WD in the summer, let alone winter

E: get this, every pass north of Bakersfield has been closed since Christmas.

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Dec 29, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
California has had a real momentum behind a lot of state activities: is there any effort happening to force utilities to bury power lines so they can't start fires or be knocked down by snow/wind or any of the other problems that buried power lines would solve?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

California has had a real momentum behind a lot of state activities: is there any effort happening to force utilities to bury power lines so they can't start fires or be buried by snow or many other things?

It's code now. And has been, but that's for new construction going forward. Probably since the early 2000s. I'm guessing.

But the law makes zero provisions for updating existing infrastructure unless like, areas are to be rebuilt due to disaster or gentrification projects.

Like PGnA would ever allow the legislature tell them to go fix all their broken poo poo. That's apparently the courts job, in which case they swat their hand and say "oh...yoooouuuu".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Yeah that's Oregon. This is Tahoe specifically which is nestled in the center of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Sort of like an high altitude lake in the cradle of the Rockies. Very steep and very hard for a non4WD in the summer, let alone winter

Even more crazy eh? drat.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Basic Poster posted:

I drove a couple of those roads they're routing people onto into Tahoe in a Mustang, in summer, for fun. A lot of people are going to die following those instructions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
James Kim died in that manner.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Source4Leko posted:

I drove a couple of those roads they're routing people onto into Tahoe in a Mustang, in summer, for fun. A lot of people are going to die following those instructions.

I'm sure many "forest service roads" were maybe navigable in a Ford mustang.

That's why I kept a tow strap in my car

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Even more crazy eh? drat.
I think equally crazy. The coast range is a good place to get yourself killed if you have no clue what you’re doing.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

One of my dad's coworkers died like this when he took the wrong fork and drove his car straight off a cliff.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bob Socko posted:

It’s what normal snowfall is for this part of the country. We get a couple-ish of inches, maybe school and work get a snowday, then it melts an that’s the end. The problem is the prior snow still hasn’t melted, and that scares and confuses us.

Yeah I spent 23 years out there and don't think I saw that. Took me moving east to realize how much trash builds up in those snow banks, hahah. Also saw drifting snow for the first time, rather than fat flakes that pour onto the wet ground enough to make a slush base.

My parents are still in Olympia and told me that this year's snow was dry and light, a happy surprise for shoveling but very :psyduck: given where they are.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

the snow here this year is like real snow! I love it! Yay climate change!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Wolfy posted:

I think equally crazy. The coast range is a good place to get yourself killed if you have no clue what you’re doing.

Yeah every hill and valley looks the same as any other hill and valley.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
They could just rake the snow :shrug:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I just drove back from Montana and the roads in western Washington are simultaneously fine and yet hilariously bad for the average bald, used all-seasons driver out here.

That it’s sticking around until at least next week is equally hilarious as panic builds about getting to the grocery store or whatever.

it really shows that a lot of folks have never made it as far as Spokane in the winter here.

e: and people treat ice like it’s the fuckin Babadook and that the PNW has a monopoly on the natural phenomena of water freezing

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
We may be cowards about icy roads, but the PNW has significantly fewer multicar pileups than the rest of the country.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I do agree generally that people shouldn’t go out and drive in it if they don’t have to, but that that’s only gonna hold water for so long given the way we’ve built society around cars and driving places.

that said if you ask a PNWer to shovel their walk, or especially a common sidewalk or god forbid the elderly neighbors you’ll get a real lesson in the limitations of PNW liberalism / goodwill / care for community, so it’s not as if people would be able to walk given the option either because it would result in endless bickering over property lines and “well it’s not MY sidewalk” type poo poo

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

They upgraded the forecast to the high end of the projection from a day or two ago. Sumas made the list, that’s one of the towns that just had the horrific flooding a few weeks ago. Might be time for the federal government to buy out and raze the town, let it turn back into a lake?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

They upgraded the forecast to the high end of the projection from a day or two ago. Sumas made the list, that’s one of the towns that just had the horrific flooding a few weeks ago. Might be time for the federal government to buy out and raze the town, let it turn back into a lake?

lol why buy and raze when nature will do it for free?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

e: and people treat ice like it’s the fuckin Babadook and that the PNW has a monopoly on the natural phenomena of water freezing
I don't know, if push came to shove I'm sure I could figure it out, but as it stands I just don't drive on the 2 days where that's an issue.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

I do agree generally that people shouldn’t go out and drive in it if they don’t have to, but that that’s only gonna hold water for so long given the way we’ve built society around cars and driving places.

that said if you ask a PNWer to shovel their walk, or especially a common sidewalk or god forbid the elderly neighbors you’ll get a real lesson in the limitations of PNW liberalism / goodwill / care for community, so it’s not as if people would be able to walk given the option either because it would result in endless bickering over property lines and “well it’s not MY sidewalk” type poo poo

lol yeah, I'm here in the Seattle area visiting my wife's family: I went for a 3 mile run and the only bits of clean sidewalk were city owned and maybe 3 places where the homeowner shoveled. Lots of shoveled driveways though!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're up in the PNW, consider investing in some over-the-shoe cleats. I've got a cheap pair that I strap to my shoes whenever it snows or gets icy, they've been a great investment.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i live in arizona so this is just random trivia for me but you are supposed to walk like a penguin on ice to keep your center of gravity close to you... something with your center of gravity.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Anachronist posted:

lol yeah, I'm here in the Seattle area visiting my wife's family: I went for a 3 mile run and the only bits of clean sidewalk were city owned and maybe 3 places where the homeowner shoveled. Lots of shoveled driveways though!

nyc solves this by making home owners liable for injuries due to hazardous sidewalks, is that not the case in Seattle?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Sweeper posted:

nyc solves this by making home owners liable for injuries due to hazardous sidewalks, is that not the case in Seattle?

I've been in the Seattle area my whole life and haven't heard of anything like this - the sidewalk is the city's property and the city's responsibility, if the guy with the orange vest and bag of salt doesn't visit your street, tough nipples

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DoombatINC posted:

I've been in the Seattle area my whole life and haven't heard of anything like this - the sidewalk is the city's property and the city's responsibility, if the guy with the orange vest and bag of salt doesn't visit your street, tough nipples

lol I'm a homeowner in seattle and I spent a bunch of time figuring poo poo out and the sidewalk is entirely your responsibility along with any injuries. If the sidewalk gets damaged by a tree you planted, tough poo poo you get to pay for concrete repairs, etc.

It just snows so infrequently here that most people have no loving clue that yes it is in fact their responsibility.

And im off to go outside and shovel on 15th ave ne for the 3rd time this week >.>

Also one thing that doesnt help is a very good portion of seattle has no sidewalks even in residential neighborhoods so like what do you shovel? Technically the front of my place has no sidewalk so ill just try to kind of shovel a walking path wide enough for someone with mobility issues to navigate but like its pretty informal.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Dec 30, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

My experience is mostly from my old man getting in a Big Fight With The City because he wanted to get some buried service put in but they were adamant that they owned the sidewalk and wouldn't let him dig, also my experience is never having seen a single shoveled sidewalk in three decades but that's probably more a human thing than a law thing

edit: and yeah by "sidewalk" there I mean "gravelly dirt strip that people step on" because why install a real sidewalk right we're Seattle we're ~grungy~

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Love being responsible (and liable) for spaces I don't even own- the sidewalk isn't my responsibility thankfully but the boulevards are. Kinda hosed up that you can get ticketed by the city for not performing the indentured servitude of keeping the grass under 6 inches and free from a list of very specific weeds. No taxation without representation, I say!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Snow can be safer to walk on than a thin layer of ice that can form after you shovel the snow away.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

silicone thrills posted:

Also one thing that doesnt help is a very good portion of seattle has no sidewalks even in residential neighborhoods so like what do you shovel? Technically the front of my place has no sidewalk so ill just try to kind of shovel a walking path wide enough for someone with mobility issues to navigate but like its pretty informal.

Well I heard that if they built sidewalks then there'd be all these Canadians walking into our nice homes during the workday to steal our televisions

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shifty Nipples posted:

Snow can be safer to walk on than a thin layer of ice that can form after you shovel the snow away.

Who doesn't salt after shoveling?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who doesn't salt after shoveling?

gardeners

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Spent an hour and a half shoveling and salting my driveway. My Apple Watch claims I only did five minutes of exercise. Stupid Apple Watch, it’s such a liar.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/NWSBoulder/status/1476634743466717193
https://twitter.com/JoyMeadows/status/1476632132223070226
https://twitter.com/jimhooley/status/1476639439812235265
https://twitter.com/BoulderOEM/status/1476634990184218627

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/status/1476649720894435328

you can feel the panic in this video

esp. when they hit the wall of smoke on the way out

its like a dark souls fog door leading to a boss

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol so my power just went out and im having a bit of a cracko pingo thinking about how few city workers are able to work rn due to covid and how progressively as trees get to heavy with snow and ice, more of them are going to break more power lines and lmao

but it also might be fine and the neighborhoods power might be restored in a few hours. WHO KNOWS

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

lol so my power just went out and im having a bit of a cracko pingo thinking about how few city workers are able to work rn due to covid and how progressively as trees get to heavy with snow and ice, more of them are going to break more power lines and lmao

but it also might be fine and the neighborhoods power might be restored in a few hours. WHO KNOWS

Does this mean you have no heat?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schmeichy posted:

Does this mean you have no heat?

correct. But I have plenty of warm cloths and a fireplace if I really need (havent used it in 10 years) We will be fine. Hopefully my neighbors will as well. If we dont get heat back on in a few hours ill probably try to go check on neighbors. There's a few elderly folks down the street.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hifi posted:

i live in arizona so this is just random trivia for me but you are supposed to walk like a penguin on ice to keep your center of gravity close to you... something with your center of gravity.

this is correct and also applies to other sorts of environments

for example, you are supposed to scuttle like a crab on the beach and in the desert you just lie down and noodle through the dunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

blatman posted:

and in the desert you just lie down and noodle through the dunes

this works very well especially if you can really get your hips into it