Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Late to Year In Review talk but looking over my statistics, it says:

Witcher 3, 77 hours
Hades, 53 hours
Okami, 42 hours

But those statistics look super high for my actual playtime (skipping lots of content, haven't done the Witcher 3 DLC yet, etc.). So I compared it with the Play Activity log of my user account. My switch itself is claiming that I've spent 50 or more hours in Witcher 3, 30 or more in Hades, and 25 or more in Okami. And those figures look a lot more like the actual hours recorded in my save data. I wonder why the Year in Review stats are so much higher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All the steamworld games are good. Quest may be the least so, but that's ok.

Also, it's only something you've seen a million times if you typically play a lot of that sort of game, which I don't so it seemed fresh enough to me at the time.

Heist is really something special in my opinion, but it's a very particular type of thing so obviously not for everybody

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Also, it's only something you've seen a million times if you typically play a lot of that sort of game, which I don't so it seemed fresh enough to me at the time.

This is very true, and something it's easy not to consider when you've been doing a particular genre for a long time. I played the first 2-3 battles and went, "oh, the combat is Rogue from vanilla WoW."

But playing 2k hours of vanilla WoW is not everyone's experience, of course.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man I enjoy watching Scott the Woz videos because I think the guy has interesting commentary when it comes to video games, but the comedy is pretty bad. It's weird how much he leans into it, more power to him for doing what he wants but it's just so...blah and gets in the way of the video game chat

Maybe it's just a group of buddies having fun but his friends are lame and always seem to get a ton of screen time

Well that's me complaining about free internet content, got to get back to work I guess

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How many hours is pikman 3 good for?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Most of them. Drags in a couple of places though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Google Butt posted:

All of them (but I forget how long it took me to beat it on the Wii U).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I think it's like 10-15 for the main story and like 5 for the side content

Too short but it was fun all the way through. Leaves you wanting more

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tetris Effect is indie? Go figure.

My brother-in-law wanted to get us Unpacking, but Nintendo has no good gifting mechanism and he didn't want to get a card etc.

I don't know if I want to get it. His sister doesn't seem much interested in it and frankly it doesn't look like my thing, I'm not into decoration.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

repiv posted:

also flesh out the PVE more and let us play it whenever we want

Time locked game modes and removing Turf War during fests was the stupidest thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Time locked game modes and removing Turf War during fests was the stupidest thing.

Rotating modes is good, actually

Time locking Salmon Run is eh

Why would you want to play vanilla turf war during fests though lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo should bring back mario 35... it was so good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It will return on the 35th anniversary of Mario 35.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

if i haven't played a shin megami tensei before, am I better off with III Nocturne HD, or is the new one the clear 'best' or best jump in point?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think at some point salmon run was either available all the time or almost all the time

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fuligin posted:

if i haven't played a shin megami tensei before, am I better off with III Nocturne HD, or is the new one the clear 'best' or best jump in point?

They are both good but SMT 3 has the oldskool "random encounters pop out of nowhere" and SMT 5 makes you see enemies on the overworld and you can dodge/evade them. Random encounters can be deadly in both games. For a newcomer I would therefore say SMT 5 is better for that reason alone. But again, both are good games.

(I will say I have no idea how SMT3 remake runs on switch as I dont own it there)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i bought Dicey Dungeons and Figment because they were like a couple bucks each. ive heard vaguely good things about dicey dungeons and i didn't even realize it's terry cavanaugh and chipzel so that should be good. figment looks like it might be cool but it also might suck. anyway perhaps some day ill turn on the switch and play them, and continue metroid while im at it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

How is loop hero? I'm not a rogue like guy but seems different?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Loop Hero is like rpg slot cars.

Dicey Dungeons for a couple bucks is a good deal.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Picked up Freedom Planet for a fiver. It's like some long lost Sonic game that should have been released on the Saturn. The dialogue is relentless though...

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pretty sure there's an option when you start the game to disable cutscenes. even if you think you might be interested in the story, use that option. the cutscenes are ten times longer than the levels are.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it's like 10-15 for the main story and like 5 for the side content

Too short but it was fun all the way through. Leaves you wanting more

It’s got the score attack mode which should fill up plenty of time too, they’re all new hand-crafted levels where you have to either get all the treasures or enemies in a certain time that can be fiendishly clever to finish within the time limit

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Looper posted:

i think at some point salmon run was either available all the time or almost all the time

They didn't get rid of the schedule entirely, but it might as well exist anymore since it's closed for like 6 - 12 hours at most, and shifts last like 36 to 48 hours.

It used to be far worse at launch with Salmon Run being open for only 12 to 24 hours and being closed for like 24 to 36 hours. Nintendo was too afraid of queue splitting making it so that there weren't enough players for each mode, but that turned out to be a non-issue to the point where it's essentially open almost all the time now. They'll probably just leave a horde mode open all the time in 3, though who knows what'll happen with the other time locked modes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
anybody playing Pokemon Unite? i just started today and it totally owns. and it's free

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Fuligin posted:

It depends. If you like difficult old school dungeon crawling then definitely go with Nocturne. V is "easier" and has an open world element to it so it plays out differently. I like Nocturne's atmosphere a lot more, but V is probably a more gentle entry for new comers. If you like one then for sure get the other, since the battle system and gameplay loop is almost the same in terms of leveling up and fusing pokemons.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Fuligin posted:

depends, nocturne is harder, more unfair, and more opaque, but has a cool story. 5 is a bit easier, is filled to the brim with QoL stuff that's missing from nocturne, will introduce you to the SMT style of JRPGing much gentler, and in general plays amazingly, but the story is quite bad.

i'd say starting with 5 is a good idea, since you'll learn the ins and outs of how SMT games work without getting brutally bullied by certain bosses and general attrition from the random encounters.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Google Butt posted:

Rpg slot cars like the other poster said is pretty good.

I picked it up on a whim and have been enjoying it.

You place tiles which spawn mobs and add difficulty to your path. Upgrade equipment as you kill stuff and collect resources that stay after every expedition to upgrade your main camp. Keep looping further and further.

That sort of deal.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just finished no more heroes 2. It was fun and the combat felt better, but overall the game loses steam towards the end and it just kinda ends which was a small bummer. It was still fun but the first game was more memorable and fun I think.

Now I’m just debating whether to get Travis strikes again or not lmao. People say it sucks and someone in here already told me it’s rear end. Tough decisions here

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Google Butt posted:

I find it surprisingly compelling. It looks almost like an idle game but it constantly commands just a small fraction of my attention, which is the sweet spot for things that can be played while maintaining a light conversation or half-watching some show.

But also I think about what I could do better at times when I'm not playing it, so it's not completely mindless or reactive as some roguelikes are.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Talk me out of the expansion pass if you can... I never got to play Paper Mario the first time around and my family still plays Animal Crossing. Seems reasonable to sign up, right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

Talk me out of the expansion pass if you can... I never got to play Paper Mario the first time around and my family still plays Animal Crossing. Seems reasonable to sign up, right?

I mean I haven't payed for it (yet) myself but paper Mario is worth the price of admission so sorry I'm not good at talking you out if it really you should probably do it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Decision making metric:

DO:
- give Nintendo money

DON'T
- not give Nintendo money

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just finished no more heroes 2. It was fun and the combat felt better, but overall the game loses steam towards the end and it just kinda ends which was a small bummer. It was still fun but the first game was more memorable and fun I think.

Now I’m just debating whether to get Travis strikes again or not lmao. People say it sucks and someone in here already told me it’s rear end. Tough decisions here

if you do play it, play on easy.
The gameplay is fun but incredibly repetitive in an 8-bit era kinda way and there's no point in dragging it out because it drags itself out plenty without the "difficulty" spike

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

started smtv... these school uniforms are sick as hell

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Google Butt posted:

It's a half-baked idea you'll find in free to play games without the microtransactions that would reduce the grind.

I got it for free on EGS and am glad I paid nothing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

neato burrito posted:

I am greatly enjoying Paper Mario and I'll probably run through OoT again but I doubt I'll do much more with the expansion, so I think the full price is a bit much, but I definitely think it was worth the ~$10 I paid as part of a group on a family plan. This thread has slowed down considerably but you still might be able to get in on a family deal. Or start a new group to try to get your own costs down.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Healbot posted:

It's a half-baked idea you'll find in free to play games without the microtransactions that would reduce the grind.

I got it for free on EGS and am glad I paid nothing.

Dayum!!!!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

beer gas canister posted:

anybody playing Pokemon Unite? i just started today and it totally owns. and it's free

We had a thread going back when it released but it kinda petered out. It's a frustrating game because the core battle mechanics feel really good, and the idea of a 5/10-minute MOBA is really compelling, but the game doesn't do a good job of explaining core MOBA concepts and it gets the player pool of a free mobile game, so a lot of matches are decided by whose teammates are slightly less clueless (and there's also very little ingame communication possible so you can't even rally your morons better than the other guy). I haven't played in about a month myself but I've been meaning to pick it back up again, since I've heard good things about the last few updates (and they just released Dragonite!).

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So I just got a Switch with Pokémon Shining Pearl for my birthday/Xmas and I was wondering what other games to get.
Of course there are all the exclusives like Mario or Zelda, there is a huge amount of indie games (most of which I already have on PC), and there is a sale going on as well! Are there any must haves in that sale? Are sales frequent like on Steam? Should I rebuy all my PC indie games? Or should I just go with BotW?
So many questions, thanks if you can help me out here guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Fuligin posted:

started smtv... these school uniforms are sick as hell

I liked how they made the main character androgynous. I didn't like how they gendered him nearly immediately. Better writing would have left it up to the player to interpolate the player gender.