Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kntfkr posted:

Marie Kondo vs. Jorp

literally all I know about Marie Kondo is that her catchphrase is "does this spark joy" which puts her ahead of jorp by default because he clearly does not understand that happiness in an emotion that people actually experience

like he thinks that's a lie made up by women and/or society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

this video almost makes me feel bad for jorp and i don't like it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Take your slapfight elsewhere, loser

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson...agenumber%3D977

conservatives are well known for their love of comedians and nazi germany was famous for their hatred of cars

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

conservatives are well known for their love of comedians and nazi germany was famous for their hatred of cars

Nothing shouts freedom like being stuck in mile long traffic with other unique individuals lol.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Two ways of identifying totalitarians: (1) They're wearing a grey hoodie and jeans with a ballcap and cut in front of me at the coffee shop; (2) they call me a kermit mouthed dumbass on twitter.

-Dr Jordan Betersons, 12 rules for life

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

literally all I know about Marie Kondo is that her catchphrase is "does this spark joy" which puts her ahead of jorp by default because he clearly does not understand that happiness in an emotion that people actually experience

like he thinks that's a lie made up by women and/or society

she runs with the whole clean your room concept with an emphasis on minimalism and discarding the unnecessary and then wraps everything up in this weird layer of animism

but yeah she's more useful than jorp because she explains how you should clean your room and some neat techniques for folding shirts which is more practical than "lol if ur a loser, start by cleaning your room, like duh. be the change u wanna see in your room"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

she runs with the whole clean your room concept with an emphasis on minimalism and discarding the unnecessary and then wraps everything up in this weird layer of animism

but yeah she's more useful than jorp because she explains how you should clean your room and some neat techniques for folding shirts which is more practical than "lol if ur a loser, start by cleaning your room, like duh. be the change u wanna see in your room"

She's also approaching it with the express purpose of improving people's lives. Her goal isn't to shout at people or intellectually dominate them.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Marie Kondo cried because her shampoo bottles got wet, Jorp cried because he drank apple juice, they’re both on the edge of sanity

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Isn't Marie Kondo's gimmick more accurately "Does this spark joy? If not, throw it away and buy my stupid poo poo instead."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Catpain Slack posted:

Isn't Marie Kondo's gimmick more accurately "Does this spark joy? If not, throw it away and buy my stupid poo poo instead."

I haven't paid attention since the Netflix show, but as far as I was aware the only thing she had to sell was a book.

kntfkr posted:

She's Japanese, animism is a whole thing there.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

She's started selling a whole host of poo poo. Like most things, capitalism will ruin it.

Her basic premise of minimalism isn't anything new, but she did package it in a fun way. There's also a semi fresh perspective focused on keeping "what sparks joy" instead of getting rid of things you don't need. It's a little more positive spin.

I've got nothing against her, but her brand had definitely turned into a money grab. As brands do.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Such is life in this sin-cursed world.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Jorp would probably call minimalism a form of post modern Marxist chaos.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Jorp does not spark joy. Throw him out.

Marie Kondo is a loon.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Marie Kondo is a loon.

All of us are loons, one way or another.

Most of us aren't loons that make money convincing people that our lunacy is the right kind of lunacy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Marie Kondo is a magical asian fairy for well-off white people who can afford to replace anything they throw out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just checked Jorp's twitter account and he posts like, every few minutes.

wtf does he do all day?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pennywise the Frown posted:

wtf does he do all day?

benzos

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

wtf does he do all day?

:justpost:

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marie Kondo is a magical asian fairy for well-off white people who can afford to replace anything they throw out.

I dont think you are supposed to replace the stuff, rather you should apply the same rationale when you are about to get new stuff. "Do I really need this?" "Where will I put it?" "Will it really make a positive change or am I just getting new stuff to fill the void?" etc. I might be misremembering though, I remember reading something by her some years ago, though I dont think I read her book. I don use her merhod of folding and keeping shirts in a drawer though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
“Is Marie Kondo good” is a conversation one can have and one that probably involves a diversity of views that can be affected by the information that others bring to light.

Just to reiterate, the original question was if she’s better than jorp, which she is, because pretty much anyone who’s not the face of an incel fascist movement is.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

As far as I know, whenever anybody accuses Marie Kondo of being a right-wing misogynist, nobody dogpiles into the conversation demanding an itemized list of citations to prove that, they just say, "I think you mean Jordan Peterson."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hardly know poo poo about Kondo but her spark joy poo poo resonates with me because clutter stresses me out and the next three generations after boomers are stuck with that stress and the stress of honoring loved ones because we have to figure out what the gently caress to do with all of their poo poo when they die.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

What the christ did I just watch?

It's 4:30am and I woke up from a nightmare not long ago and can't sleep. I'm out of it and a bit jumpy. I should not have watched this.

sorry friend, the nightmare never ends

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doctor Butts posted:

I hardly know poo poo about Kondo but her spark joy poo poo resonates with me because clutter stresses me out and the next three generations after boomers are stuck with that stress and the stress of honoring loved ones because we have to figure out what the gently caress to do with all of their poo poo when they die.

:goonsay:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Mr Interweb posted:

So anyone that wants good public transportation options and bike paths is a totalitarian? Lol. Poor people taking the bus are all on the verge of starting a violent revolution against car-havers.

eSporks posted:

She's started selling a whole host of poo poo. Like most things, capitalism will ruin it.

Her basic premise of minimalism isn't anything new, but she did package it in a fun way. There's also a semi fresh perspective focused on keeping "what sparks joy" instead of getting rid of things you don't need. It's a little more positive spin.

I've got nothing against her, but her brand had definitely turned into a money grab. As brands do.

After her rise to fame and the pandemic reached full swing, YouTube started recommending me a bunch of accounts that were just highly depressed Japanese guys talking about living a minimalistic lifestyle. Their videos were often ironic in that they espoused a nonchalance towards possessions and activities that they didn't like, but pumped out a constant stream of videos asking for likes and subscribes. It was obvious that they were trying to use their channels to get ad revenue, but also that they had social anxiety and depression as their motivation for promoting their hermit lifestyles. "Friends are not very important, neither is a bed, nor food that provides more than the basic calories, but please don't forget to like and subscribe and hit the bell so you don't miss out on any of my future videos! Also, please donate to my Patreon. Also, I'll be selling my Japanese minimalist program soon, so please keep an eye out for that." There were constant, vague references towards "Japanese minimalism," but no references to books, authors, famous names, etc., that inspired them. I guess they were experts on it by way of being Japanese by birth.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can tell you everything you need to know about being a fat piece of poo poo.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I reach a state of orgasmic, ecstatic joy tunnelling through my piles of old pizza boxes and mountain dew code red bottles, my fly bitten kankles scraping against the filth crusted carpet.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1476977795716767747
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1476984557643743232
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1476980275091492872

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its fascinating how he has somehow gotten dumber and worse since his brain coma.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

PITY BONER posted:

So anyone that wants good public transportation options and bike paths is a totalitarian? Lol. Poor people taking the bus are all on the verge of starting a violent revolution against car-havers.

After her rise to fame and the pandemic reached full swing, YouTube started recommending me a bunch of accounts that were just highly depressed Japanese guys talking about living a minimalistic lifestyle. Their videos were often ironic in that they espoused a nonchalance towards possessions and activities that they didn't like, but pumped out a constant stream of videos asking for likes and subscribes. It was obvious that they were trying to use their channels to get ad revenue, but also that they had social anxiety and depression as their motivation for promoting their hermit lifestyles. "Friends are not very important, neither is a bed, nor food that provides more than the basic calories, but please don't forget to like and subscribe and hit the bell so you don't miss out on any of my future videos! Also, please donate to my Patreon. Also, I'll be selling my Japanese minimalist program soon, so please keep an eye out for that." There were constant, vague references towards "Japanese minimalism," but no references to books, authors, famous names, etc., that inspired them. I guess they were experts on it by way of being Japanese by birth.
I feel like this exactly why Kon Mari pre e-stote caught on so much. Her focus is on keeping the things that your bring you joy, instead ridding yourself of burden pleasure.
It's coming from a better place and it's just a nice positive vibe that isn't too extreme.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jorbam petersson probaby thinks people like michio kaku for his hair

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

precision posted:

jorbam petersson probaby thinks people like michio kaku for his hair

Nobody should like Michio Kaku IMO, he's a fabulist who makes up nonsense to peddle to people who are curious about physics. I've only ever read or heard from his schtick stuff that is either a) delivered better, more succinctly, more correct, and in a less self-aggrandizing way than Kaku by other science communicators (somehow even NGT is less self-aggrandizing than Kaku) or b) made up sci-fi bullshit that inspires woo.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on you or anything, I just really have a strong dislike for that guy. I mean I bet he's a nice person and all but his public persona, ugh.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ashpanash posted:

Nobody should like Michio Kaku IMO, he's a fabulist who makes up nonsense to peddle to people who are curious about physics. I've only ever read or heard from his schtick stuff that is either a) delivered better, more succinctly, more correct, and in a less self-aggrandizing way than Kaku by other science communicators (somehow even NGT is less self-aggrandizing than Kaku) or b) made up sci-fi bullshit that inspires woo.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on you or anything, I just really have a strong dislike for that guy. I mean I bet he's a nice person and all but his public persona, ugh.

"A single molecule, which makes up 90% of our bodies, but yet is poisonous if ingested in large enough quantities. That molecule, is H20."

-NGT

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Puppy Time posted:

I haven't paid attention since the Netflix show, but as far as I was aware the only thing she had to sell was a book.

She's Japanese, animism is a whole thing there.

oh really? lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Poohs Packin posted:

"A single molecule, which makes up 90% of our bodies, but yet is poisonous if ingested in large enough quantities. That molecule, is H20."

-NGT

lol

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

ashpanash posted:

He also has a really grating speaking voice. Not the tone or timbre, but the odd choice of stresses on various words. NGT does this too, but differently, but he's better at it because he doesn't talk like that when off script.

Anyway, my point is not to rag on science communicators. There are other people like this who obviously can't take a hint that their voice is pushing people away. At least with Jorp we can make Kermit jokes about it.

Edit; used fewer words.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 2, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only good living science communicator is David Suzuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ashpanash posted:

is he really bad though? i'm not a fan or anything, but i did enjoy his appearances in the limited science related shows/documentaries i've seen from him.