Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean at that point why bother with that instead of just going 240v

Modern homes and establishments have countertop 5-20 receptacles, whereas easily accessible 240v outlets are much less common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

Modern homes and establishments have countertop 5-20 receptacles, whereas easily accessible 240v outlets are much less common.

That is very interesting! Seems like that would be a product out there as a premium portable burner. I wonder if there's a regulator that isn't letting it out to market for other reasons. Like general distrust that most kitchens are wired correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Code requires 20 Amp circuits but not necessarily 20 Amp outlets in kitchens. Swapping an outlet isn't that hard, but the people who could safely do that themselves and have 20 amp wiring is probably far outweighed by the people that would kill themselves swapping an outlet or burn their house down by not having 20 amp wiring or something, such that the actual market for that would be very small.

I've noticed that another area where you actually need a lot of wattage, air conditioners, they just jump straight from 15 amp 120v to 220v, skipping the 20 amp option entirely, so for whatever reason, there just doesn't seem to be much of a market of appliances between 15 and 20 amps.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SpartanIvy posted:

Confirmed, my kitchen has 5-20 but I’ve never seen anything with a 20 amp plug. Anything fun I can buy?

I already have a builder’s special gas range and it works fine enough for me, I eat out too much anyway.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The vast majority of homes are not 'modern' and I did not see a single 5-20r in a kitchen while I was looking for a place.

They are frequently on a 20A circuit though

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Inner Light posted:

Confirmed, my kitchen has 5-20 but I’ve never seen anything with a 20 amp plug. Anything fun I can buy?

I already have a builder’s special gas range and it works fine enough for me, I eat out too much anyway.

I rewired my kitchen and put in 5-20s because they're the standard now but I've also been asking myself "what can I buy that uses this?" and the answer so far: Commercial grade double Belgian waffle makers

e: and my girlfriend has prohibited me from buying one :mad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sweeper posted:

What are peoples opinions on hot water heaters? ... thinking of going tankless

Sweeper posted:

electricity

Everything I've learned about tankless water heaters is they are expensive, are not a 1:1 replacement for traditional water heaters in a lot of circumstances, and the electric ones are very expensive and mostly suck. If you go electric you'll probably have to upgrade some wiring at a minimum, and they might not be able to keep up with demand especially in a 5 unit building. I think they also struggle to heat very cold water, so might not be a great option if you live in a colder climate.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SpartanIvy posted:

I rewired my kitchen and put in 5-20s because they're the standard now but I've also been asking myself "what can I buy that uses this?" and the answer so far: Commercial grade double Belgian waffle makers

e: and my girlfriend has prohibited me from buying one :mad:

60 waffles per hour :eyepop:

Yeah, not seeing much out there that uses the 20 amp plug at all sadly. My place was built in 2002 FWIW. Unrelatedly I discovered the AFCI test button on one of the panel circuit breakers (bedroom receptacles) does not do anything, so I'll get that breaker replaced at some point.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 28, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

Everything I've learned about tankless water heaters is they are expensive, are not a 1:1 replacement for traditional water heaters in a lot of circumstances, and the electric ones are very expensive and mostly suck. If you go electric you'll probably have to upgrade some wiring at a minimum, and they might not be able to keep up with demand especially in a 5 unit building. I think they also struggle to heat very cold water, so might not be a great option if you live in a colder climate.

We have gas currently, so I just brain farted that. It would be a gas tankless replacing gas tanked.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sweeper posted:

What are peoples opinions on hot water heaters? We have two 50 gals in our building (5 unit coop) and one is busted, thinking of going tankless. Never have to worry about 50 gallons of hot water on our floor again (one leaked last year, another this year…), should be “unlimited” hot water, and more efficient. I don’t see the downside other than we will have to pay more up front since the warranty replacement is only $150 vs. the new tankless. I’m guessing the math for electricity will work out as money savings.

Also, despise the screw in/out valves with rubber bits, never work when I need to shutoff the water. Quarter turn always seem to work, going to specify that from now on.

I love mine but the utter jackass that installed it drained the condensation pipe into my crawlspace, causing all sorts of unimaginable problems. Make sure that doesn't happen, the condensation line will flow steadily if even only one shower is running. Drain it into your gutter system or otherwise somehow away from the house.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Into the crawl space?

What the gently caress?

Yeah it's loving bonkers.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 28, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Into the crawl space?

What the gently caress?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dude did you a favor.

Installed a water heater and a wading pool for the price of one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Built-in humidifier, very fancy!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What’s a typical cost to switch from a gas tank to gas tankless?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Built-in humidifier, very fancy!

Wetland habitat for various things

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Reminds me of this goon classic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

$2600 to fix the PO's janky "gutter" solution -- installing patch tape over a roof edge -- with a permanent solution of a custom drip edge to channel water away from our front door and seal everything to the balcony roof. Not urgent, but will be done sometime in the next 6-8 mos. The good news is that the janky solution isn't really impacting anything -- the drip line is about 10 feet from our foundation -- so its more of a cosmetic fix with a bit of function.

It was exciting to learn about how gutters were constructed in well built circa 1900s homes -- everything was inbuilt with channels cut into roof beams that empty at a lowest point into a drain pipe -- but of course all of that beautiful work was covered up with a huge balcony sometime in the last 100 years. I guess its cool that the rest of the house doesn't have gutters! We have two 4 inch pipes that drop down from our angled roof, go underground into a huge concrete holding basin, which connects directly into the storm drain.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 29, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the three new posts in the ground. Still a lot more work to do with replacing the panel rails and getting the fence back together but this is a good start. After ripping the 6x6 down to 4.75” actual, I had to take the planer to it to absolve the sins of my crappy table saw. Trim router on the corners with the largest round-over bit I have, then 80-grit belt sander all around for that 5-foot finish look.

The local union supervisor ensured appropriate rest breaks.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 29, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You will find that as per the union contract it is time for you to throw my ball 3 times and rub my belly for exactly 45 seconds.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Talking with in laws recently about their cottage and their complaining of high electrical costs (due to heating with baseboards), and they have been talking about replacing them with new baseboards because new ones are "way more efficient".

My understanding is that baseboards are basically 100% efficient, regardless of age (provided its working/clean).

Am I correct or on crack?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You are 100% correct. That would be nothing but a waste of money.

Electric resistance heating is electric resistance heating.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

You are 100% correct. That would be nothing but a waste of money.

Electric resistance heating is electric resistance heating.

About the only thing that could change is maybe the convective part for airflow (thinking a tiny kickbox blower vs big one) but yeah, V=IR doesn’t change.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Assuming resistive electric is my baseline, how would I determine how much more efficient a mini-split would be? I've got the utilities already run for gas heat in a garage, but I've been mulling over a mini-split for the option of AC when I have to work when it's 90°+ outside. Running power to it would be easy until the basement gets finished, which is at least another 3-4 years away.

We do often get into the -20°F range in the winter, so it may come down to mini-split and gas, or mini-split and keeping the current electric resistance heater.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PitViper posted:

Assuming resistive electric is my baseline, how would I determine how much more efficient a mini-split would be? I've got the utilities already run for gas heat in a garage, but I've been mulling over a mini-split for the option of AC when I have to work when it's 90°+ outside. Running power to it would be easy until the basement gets finished, which is at least another 3-4 years away.

We do often get into the -20°F range in the winter, so it may come down to mini-split and gas, or mini-split and keeping the current electric resistance heater.

I have about 25 kW (worth of electric heaters in my place, all kickbox / wall heater style. They are not particularly effective at what they do, and the wall heaters I don’t have a smart option for.

A Mitsubishi Hyper Heat system with 5 heads / 8 zone outdoor unit needs a 50 A circuit run to it, so in practice / assuming they derated properly, that’s half the power consumption and likely lower depending on the specifics of the indoor set point / outdoor temp. The power is going all to run inverter-controlled electric motors vs being dissipated in a resistor and then hoping the fan pushes it where it has to go.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
It's hard to get less economical than electric resistance heat, but running a mini-split at -20F might do it...and it won't heat the house whereas electric will. Mini-splits don't do well when it gets that cold because there's so little extractable heat. Mini-splits are great in non-extreme temperature situations, though, so if you had electric resistance as a supplemental source when needed, that could work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

unknown posted:

), and they have been talking about replacing them with new baseboards because new ones are "way more efficient".

Southerner primary home owners spotted

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Considering the cost of heating oil I am glad I am not in the hook for that this winter. I only ran it when the temp dropped below a point when the mini split couldn’t keep up but it was still hundreds of dollars per month during winter.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also I forgot the best option — buttcoin mining for heat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In gonna tape an antminer to an electric baseboard heater and make a mint

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pray for me thread, it looks like my dumbass neighbor is probably going to try burning a huge pile of leaves in her backyard which is heavily overgrown and has not been raked once the entire season. Her house is close enough to mine that if it does go up in flames it's taking my garage with it.

It did rain a little earlier today so maybe that will hopefully save me from her poor decisions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SpartanIvy posted:

Pray for me thread, it looks like my dumbass neighbor is probably going to try burning a huge pile of leaves in her backyard which is heavily overgrown and has not been raked once the entire season. Her house is close enough to mine that if it does go up in flames it's taking my garage with it.

It did rain a little earlier today so maybe that will hopefully save me from her poor decisions.

Which outcome are we praying for? How good is your insurance??

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Which outcome are we praying for? How good is your insurance??

Best option is nothing to happen.

I'm paying for great insurance but how good it is will only be known once I make a claim.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Maybe call the fire department? They likely have a vested interest in preventing this.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
She's not planning on burning them. Just making a big rear end pile close to her lit fire pit apparently.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SpartanIvy posted:

She's not planning on burning them. Just making a big rear end pile close to her lit fire pit apparently.

You can probably get a sketch Craigslist guy to haul them away for 60 bucks if he can get his truck up next to them

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Progress! Need a dry day so I can stain all of this prior to moving the slats over from the old panels but for now I leaned the existing panels to cover the gaps. it’s nice to have a fence again and not worry about the dog wandering off if I let him out.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

PitViper posted:

Assuming resistive electric is my baseline, how would I determine how much more efficient a mini-split would be?

This is easy. Find the detailed technical spec sheet for the minisplit and look for COP, or coefficient of performance, which should be listed at various outdoor temps (and assumes 70F indoor.) This is a relative number (think percent), where a resistance heater would be a COP of 1.

Most minisplits are going to be able to run at a COP of at least 2.0 at 17F, so that means it produces 2X as much heat for every watt of electricity used compared to a resistance heater.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

My new house has an old rusty dishwasher that seems to be slightly smaller than standard (23.5" wide). I will double check my measurements, but if it's really this size, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to make room for a 23.8" washer? Who do I even hire to do that?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Call the fire department so they can come out and tell her to knock it off. It’s free and she’s probably just a dumbass. My parents lost their garage and everything in it to dipshit neighbors burning leaves last year, it happens faster than you’d think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you pulled out the dishwasher and physically measured the cavity? There's a non zero chance the carpenter wasn't a complete idiot and gave you a 24 ¼" space, but just added some extra superficial trim around the outside to hide the gap created by the tiny dishwasher