Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

I have a question that's more in the spirit of "Do you recommend this game for me?"

I bought the Last of Us 2 when it came out but it's still in the shrink-wrap. I've been worried about playing it because, simply put, I wasn't mentally in a "good place" when it came out and I haven't really gotten to a good place since then. I didn't feel like "Bleed and Scream Part 2" was what I needed to be playing.

Am I being overly cautious or is it as brutal and depressing as the trailers (and my memories of the first game) made it seem?

Imo it's worse than the trailers make it seem. If you're concerned about it, don't play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

And it's definitely more depressing than the 1st. Notoriously so.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Anyone know if there's a 'best' Borderlands for splitscreen coop if I'm on a PS5? Will be playing with my ten year old son and he'll probably play with friends too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's a lot of time you have to spend during the game just to repeatedly take territory and build up your army over and over in each region, and if you wouldn't describe 20 repeated missions as a grind, then I'm not sure what would count. Especially considering 20 missions is the shortened form of the Shadow War.

20 missions is the original length of the Shadow Wars, they shortened it to 5 missions now, and a fortress defense mission is like 10 minutes long. If that.

I don't know what you mean by "repeatedly take territory" because that's not a thing you do in the last act.
Similarly building an army is not something that you have to think about either because level appropriate captains are literally brought to you during the defense missions.

There's no grind there, it's just pure gameplay.

deep dish peat moss posted:

It was pretty grindy before the microtransactions were removed, but when they took them out they reduced the grind since "buy MTX gambling or exp boosts" was their intended way for players to get the rare stuff or to get to high levels or whatever.

Can you elaborate on what you're allegedly grinding in the game or do you get all your video game critiques from Jim Sterling?

Cause I've beaten the game on highest difficulty once at launch and once after they removed MTX bullshit and there was frankly not much difference other that Shadow Wars becoming way too short.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cicero posted:

Anyone know if there's a 'best' Borderlands for splitscreen coop if I'm on a PS5? Will be playing with my ten year old son and he'll probably play with friends too.

Borderlands 2 is generally thought to be the "best" all round by fans of the series, but if you're only bothered about how it plays I'd just jump to 3 as they've refined the gameplay and made drops better with each successive release. BL3 co op apparently had some technical issues on PS4 but as far as I can tell the additional power of the PS5 solved them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Imo it's worse than the trailers make it seem. If you're concerned about it, don't play it.

Phigs posted:

And it's definitely more depressing than the 1st. Notoriously so.

lol thanks for the warning. Maybe next year.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Party Boat posted:

Borderlands 2 is generally thought to be the "best" all round by fans of the series, but if you're only bothered about how it plays I'd just jump to 3 as they've refined the gameplay and made drops better with each successive release. BL3 co op apparently had some technical issues on PS4 but as far as I can tell the additional power of the PS5 solved them.

Borderlands 2 was so bad I never tried 3 even though we loved the first one. Both story and gameplay were less fun than the original.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LLSix posted:

Borderlands 2 was so bad I never tried 3 even though we loved the first one. Both story and gameplay were less fun than the original.

:chloe::bigwhat:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Haha I almost added a caveat that you will definitely find people who claim that each of the Borderlands is the best one and that anyone who claims otherwise is insane.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

poisonpill posted:

I liked the first Dragon Age when I played it a few years after it came out. Then I played 2, and made it maybe halfway through Inquisition. Yes, they're worth playing. You'll hear some people say 1 is the best, others say Inquisition is the best. Nobody on the entire internet likes 2 except me and like one other person on this board who doesn't post anymore. But buy Origins with all the DLC, give it a shot. It's good!

I really liked DA2 for the first playthrough, but the fact that you're fighting in the same cave systems a dozen times per game just made repeated playthroughs incredibly repetitive, so much so that despite really wanting to beat the story more times I just couldn't get myself to do it.

For a single playthrough though I think it would be fine. It was still Steam only back when I played it, but they retired that version and the one you can buy now will force you to play through the EA Origin store anyway.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 30, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Random recommandation: the 3 recent tomb raider are all free on Epic for a week for those who aren't allergic to multiple launchers.

They are all good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

20 missions is the original length of the Shadow Wars, they shortened it to 5 missions now, and a fortress defense mission is like 10 minutes long. If that.

I don't know what you mean by "repeatedly take territory" because that's not a thing you do in the last act.

I'm talking about the whole course of the game. It's repetitive grindy open world tripe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm talking about the whole course of the game. It's repetitive grindy open world tripe.

Tell me you haven't played it without saying that you haven't played it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Just do it in the other thread

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

sure thing buddy

it's shadow of mordor but with more poo poo in between, and while the nemesis system was expanded nicely, it feels less memorable

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Great, shut up about it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there anything modern that's like dynasty warriors but not anime?

E: For PC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Western version of Musou would be like...Diablo?

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's strange how literally nobody else is doing the same "hack'n'slash in a middle of an open battlefield with mooks and control points and poo poo" style of game. I wonder if Koei has a patent on that or something.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 31, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Going back to the Majesty chat, I just realized I already have a game that is presented differently, but actually shares a LOT of Majesty DNA. The game is Stonehearth. If you'd like more information I can give you that

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Azuth0667 posted:

Beach Head 2000

Kidding aside - I was literally about to suggest EDF but realized it’s more like old 60-70s Kaiju movies and anime adjacent

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Azuth0667 posted:

Vermintide is a (mostly) melee first person ARPG. Not exactly what you are looking for, but in the same ballpark.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

I think literally every musou game other than Hyrule Warriors is anime

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

other than Hyrule Warriors

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

No anime here!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
mofo over here actually trying to convince me that the game with the literal pixie dream girl swinging around a gigantic bell as a weapon that summons a winged whale is somehow less anime than Dynasty Warriors

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I think literally every musou game other than Hyrule Warriors is anime

Nah

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I guess it is pretty anime huh

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

When you say "like dynasty warriors" are you talking about just having a 3rd person game where you go out and kill shitloads of weak dudes on a battlefield until you fight the big dude, or do you really want the control points and stuff? Could you be a bit more descriptive than this because even within those games, it changes depending on which game you're talking about. They tend toward anime stuff because those properties have lots of characters and if you want a big move that kills 100 dudes with a halberd, then that's gonna be pretty anime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

For Honor? That's got a similar sort of thing where there's a bunch of lesser dudes to fight in between heroes. No idea how good the single player is though.

I dunno what exactly kind of gameplay you'd want for a Dynasty Warriors-alike, the combo system seems pretty exclusive to japanese games, and the exaggerated way that the main character just sweeps through crowds seems inherently very anime. There's a lot of kind of psuedo-RTS action games like Pikmin or Little King's Story, and if sentai doesn't technically count as anime, there's the Wonderful 101.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I think the main thing with the 1v1000 gameplay style that differentiates it from beatemups or character action games is that with that many mooks on screen, there's really not a lot of room to do interesting stuff. You're just kind of doing a wushu acrobatics routine through hostile zones designated by the presence of mooks, and trying to make sure you don't get hit out of your routine. beatemups have only like 5-10 enemies on screen at a time, but you tend to be able to do much more interesting stuff to them because they last much longer, and the movesets are much more interesting, but they tend not to be 3rd person. 3rd person beatemups died and character action games took their place. So now those musou games have their market and they've been going so hard that if you want a non-anime version of that, and you're willing to use guns, the actual answer is probably Serious Sam

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

signalnoise posted:

When you say "like dynasty warriors" are you talking about just having a 3rd person game where you go out and kill shitloads of weak dudes on a battlefield until you fight the big dude, or do you really want the control points and stuff? Could you be a bit more descriptive than this because even within those games, it changes depending on which game you're talking about. They tend toward anime stuff because those properties have lots of characters and if you want a big move that kills 100 dudes with a halberd, then that's gonna be pretty anime.

Third person or first person doesn't matter. I'm looking for two armies fighting with my character as an officer or someone who has some sort of influence on the battle and objectives to fight over. I already have bannerlord which was close and the less grinding involved the better.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Third person or first person doesn't matter. I'm looking for two armies fighting with my character as an officer or someone who has some sort of influence on the battle and objectives to fight over. I already have bannerlord which was close and the less grinding involved the better.

Possibly Hyper Knights. It is top-down, and the combat is a bit more abstracted, but it is similar in that in any given battle you are the strongest unit on the field. The battle objectives are usually ludically separated from the battles themselves, Ie you decide in the strategic map to take your army to attack a caravan, but in the battle itself your goal is to beat their army.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the purest of what you might want is Mount & Blade, but I never really got into it to be able to say much about it. For Honor might also be your jam. There's also kind of a theme of some MOBAs and online shooters where players are helping along their AI armies full of grunts, but often that gets forgotten about in the PVP stuff. I only really know of the Star Wars Battlefront games and Awesomenauts.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has a bit where you can get involved in battles between Athens and Sparta to help turn the tide for your chosen side, but you're not really an officer and there's a lot between those bits. Shadow of War also has a whole system where you fight through a fortress with the help of your army to get hold of command posts that is very like Dynasty Warriors, but they're fairly small bits in a much bigger game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Seconding Mount & Blade. Warband in particular. You're still likely the most powerful unit on the field and can swing the battle yourself but also a dude could just chuck a hammer into your face right off the bat.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Azuth0667 posted:

Going to assume you’ve played Mount and Blade Warband with mods, but if you haven’t, Floris Mod is a quality Vanilla+ style mod with added bandit types for mid level challenge, enhanced kingdom and diplomacy mechanics, enhanced tournaments, more gear, and expanded troop trees. Prophecy of Pendor has the above features but within a fantasy setting with multiple minor factions and elves as an end game challenge to fight or ally. Highly recommend both if you haven’t tried them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There is a game I've seen on Early Access called Earth from Another Sun that looks like it might be good, might be janky dogshit. Seems like a scifi version of this, fighting army to army but you're incredibly strong personally.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Starsector or Pikmin might scratch that itch.

And Arma 3 if you play it single player.

snowshovelboy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 1, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Musou games have a very particular combat flow that I really don't see anywhere else. Games like Starsector and Mount & Blade are very similar on the surface but those games' combat takes place in more or less an open field and even if there is terrain there's always only one objective (usually, kill other guys) meanwhile Musou games' combat flow is about territory control and managing being in the right locations to support your troops while the battle naturally unfolds around the map.

Different way to put it would be that battles in games like Mount & Blade are about one fight where both armies meet each other and then the winner of that fight wins the whole battle, meanwhile Musou games are usually about winning a lot of smaller fights in a more prolonged fashion instead.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else that quite scratches that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Drakkengard games SORT OF do, and lean more dark fantasy while still, of course, being anime. More like Berserk style of anime though

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 1, 2022