Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Relax Or DIE posted:

games forum groin of the year thread '21

Something Awful > Forums > Groins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wuggles posted:

Something Awful > Forums > Groins

Led by forum mod VideoGroins

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

just relax riffing with himself here

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Endwalker wins that one too

They even gave Hoary Boulder a voice

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This is neither a critique nor a judgment but I had no idea an MMO was this IN in 2021.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This is neither a critique nor a judgment but I had no idea an MMO was this IN in 2021.

It's kind of a perfect storm for FFXIV, really.

It's a game that has been telling a coherent ongoing story for 10 years that just released an actual conclusion to that story. At the same time, MMOs got a boost in 2020 thanks to the pandemic. And then, WoW imploded completely with the combination of the latest expansion being so bad even the streamers left and the horrible behavior that came to light in 2021, so a lot of WoW streamers and WoW players in general gave FFXIV a try and ended up liking it.

The MMO genre is still on the decline I'd say, but FFXIV carved itself out a really unique niche and was at one of its highest points ever at the moment WoW hit one of its lowest, so it was perfectly positioned to pick up a lot of the former WoW players who left.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's so in that they literally had to stop people from buying it to give the servers relief.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

It's kind of a perfect storm for FFXIV, really.

It's a game that has been telling a coherent ongoing story for 10 years that just released an actual conclusion to that story. At the same time, MMOs got a boost in 2020 thanks to the pandemic. And then, WoW imploded completely with the combination of the latest expansion being so bad even the streamers left and the horrible behavior that came to light in 2021, so a lot of WoW streamers and WoW players in general gave FFXIV a try and ended up liking it.

The MMO genre is still on the decline I'd say, but FFXIV carved itself out a really unique niche and was at one of its highest points ever at the moment WoW hit one of its lowest, so it was perfectly positioned to pick up a lot of the former WoW players who left.

Maybe in the Year of No Games it was the only game :thunkher:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

Maybe in the Year of No Games it was the only game :thunkher:

This is SaGa Frontier erasure

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Harrow posted:

This is SaGa Frontier erasure

Strange way to spell Hatsune Miku Colorful Stage

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

New World seemed pretty big for a couple of weeks did anyone stick with that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They recently announced server merges, so not really.

New World stepped on a pretty impressive number of rakes in its first few months, and every time it tried to avoid stepping on a rake it stepped on three other ones instead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

New World seemed pretty big for a couple of weeks did anyone stick with that

I feel like I've only heard disastrous things about that one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

*veeg deploys counter materia linked with justpost materia to steal back the rest of Rarity's post and make it for her*

• Amazon’s attempt to enter the industry with MMO New World enters beta and is soon discovered to melt high-end graphics cards. Jeff Bezos is unavailable for comment as he’s too busy going into space.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I stopped paying attention to New World eventually but I'm sure someone could write a pretty great post detailing all of the pretty remarkable ways that game collapsed. For example, sometimes servers would just jump forward in time by 40 days, meaning that players would suddenly be 40 days behind on their in-game property taxes (yeah, there's property tax if you owe a house) and lose their house, and also there was no way to roll back so you just had to live with it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We finally found the WoW killer... WoW

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

They recently announced server merges, so not really.

New World stepped on a pretty impressive number of rakes in its first few months, and every time it tried to avoid stepping on a rake it stepped on three other ones instead.

To be fair, New World has stabilized now, and is sitting around 105,000 - 110,000 people playing during the prime hours. But yeah, its first two months or so were a disaster, and it tanked its player numbers pretty hard. I mean it went from 950,000 at launch to what it is now. It's not a sinking ship, but its also a heavy quick drop in numbers. Its still in the top 5 most played games on Steam though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

Sadly ffxiv is not a game, it’s an mmorpg (the “g” in “mmorpg” stands for “groin”)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All the talk about FFIV having a great story. Is it a story you can actually play/complete by yourself or do you have to do it with a group?

I hate MMOs :sigh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You have to do the dungeons with people (up until Shadowbringers/Endwalker where you can do most of them with NPCs) but it automatically finds a group for you and the community is always pretty friendly even when you're playing with random people

I've played the whole thing solo

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
You need to queue up for group content for several dungeons and boss fights for every expansion. Later expansions ease up a little by adding a Trust system that let’s you do story dungeons with story NPCs but it never goes away completely. If it helps the community is patient and friendly for the most part. If you join a goon guild you will find a ton of people willing to run content with you and show you the ropes. You don’t need to grind anything to complete the msq, but yeah, grouping is unavoidable.

I really hope they let Ishikawa write a mainline game, there’s a ton of people I know who really want the type of final fantasy game she writes but just can’t do mmos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

All the talk about FFIV having a great story. Is it a story you can actually play/complete by yourself or do you have to do it with a group?

I hate MMOs :sigh:

Most of the story is solo but you do have to do dungeons and the bigger story boss fights with other players. The game has very easy matchmaking for these activities, though, and heavily incentivizes experienced players to populate those matchmaking queues so there are always people to play with. They’re designed to require minimal to no communication to facilitate that.

Starting in Shadowbringers you can do story dungeons with NPCs, but you still need to group for most of the big boss fights.

The game is also tuned so that you don’t really have to engage with much (or any) grinding if you just want to play the story. You get gear for doing the story and it’s generally tuned so that just doing story quests is enough to keep up with levels.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm sure they'll release a complete edition where I can skip the mmo crap one day. I'll wait for that!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Just realize if you start your life will get sucked away and you won't play any other games. At least that's my experience!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Turns out, MMO crap is good. Who knew!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm sure they'll release a complete edition where I can skip the mmo crap one day. I'll wait for that!

:same:

I'm sure there are helpful people out there and all that, but I can't relax/enjoy myself playing games if there are random other people involved, unless it's a close friend/partner and we're in the room together it just stresses me out. That's absolutely a me problem, but the brief time I spent loving about in WoW really soured me on any kind of MMO experience, it feels more like work than having fun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure there are helpful people out there and all that, but I can't relax/enjoy myself playing games if there are random other people involved, unless it's a close friend/partner and we're in the room together it just stresses me out. That's absolutely a me problem, but the brief time I spent loving about in WoW really soured me on any kind of MMO experience, it feels more like work than having fun.

The thing that sinks it for me is month to month payments. because my use of time is erratic at best having a timer on in the back of my head completely prevents me from even starting to engage, and it's the main reason I will never play an MMO.

Now, something compartmentalized like MonHun? I'll put 700 hours into that no problem.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don’t like ranking things that didn’t have major content releases from the current year, so here’s…

Arist’s Top Ten-and-Change Games That Did Stuff In 2021!

But first:

Honorable Mentions:

17. Tales of Arise

Just did not do it for me, y’all. Combat is very fun until you realize the bosses are all overtuned chores and the best way to fight them is to spam one move over and over. The story never really picks up either, and even worse is its unfortunate combination of being cloying while also being painfully shallow. It’s no Abyss or Berseria, that’s for sure. It’s on this list because I literally only put any real time into 17 games from this year.

16. Scarlet Nexus

Decent fun once you get enough toys to play with, but I never finished it. Also, the fetch quests drag, especially once they start asking for rare drops from rare monsters.

15. Loop Hero

I enjoyed what I played of this but it was just so grindy and I didn’t have the patience to really sit and figure it out.

14. Metroid Dread

I’m having fun with this but I’m not very far yet so it’s down here. Also I got lost after picking up the Varia suit can someone please point me in the right directio

13. The Forgotten City

I’m of two minds on this thing. I really enjoyed my time with it, and it does some really clever stuff, but I wish there was more of that cleverness. In the end it just felt kind of slight. Not enough of the game felt like it forced me to interact with looping, and there weren’t enough interesting ways to loop period. Also, the writing occasionally gets kind of on-the-nose in a somewhat cringy way, in addition to some other minor missteps in terms of how it treats certain characters.

12. Returnal

I liked this game a lot! Wish I had played more of it!

11. Deathloop

I wanted to love this game, and in a lot of ways I did. It was never quite as fascinating as it could have been, just a little too simple to really make the most of itself, but I still loved what it did and how it actually got me, the immersive sim player who quicksaves like mad and reloads whenever he gets spotted, to loving improvise.

And now… the top ten!

10. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy

The gameplay is pretty ho-hum, and while the characters talk so much they often step on each other’s dialogue, you warm up to them fairly quickly. The story is also fairly affecting, which is good, because the characters and world are the backbone of the game.

9. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

This is a lot of Ace Attorney. Almost too much, I’d say. It took me like, 85 hours to beat both of the games in this collection (and they’re really more like one game in terms of story. I can’t imagine how Japanese players felt when the first game released and the sequel wasn’t even announced). However, this is some of the best stuff the series has ever produced, especially more recently.

8. Psychonauts 2

I almost forgot this one! Fun game, fun levels, great powers, wish I had been able to play it with a controller on PC!

7. Guilty Gear Strive

I’m so bad at this game, oh god I didn’t mean to burst there gently caress, shitshitshit, oh I won anyway, good thing I picked Ramlethal

6. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

It’s the best Ratchet & Clank in a long time… but there hasn’t been a full “new” Ratchet & Clank game since A Crack in Time back in 2009. It’s a great experience, but as a longtime fan of the series I wish the weapons were a bit more wacky and distinct. Also, that title pun isn’t nearly sexual enough and there’s no gun that turns people into animals, 0/10.

5. Hitman 3

You get to choke out a private detective and solve a murder mystery. You get to kill a bunch of rival assassins sent to kill you until they all poo poo their pants and run. I killed a guy on the world’s tallest building by activating the emergency escape protocol and making him jump off the edge with a sabotaged parachute. This game fuckin’ rules.

4. Persona 5 Strikers

God, I’m predictable. This game successfully synthesizes the gameplay of a Warriors and a Persona title to great effect. Yes, the bosses can be a bit annoying and damage-spongey, and the first half or so are pretty repetitive story-wise, but my memories of this game are pretty positive. Though most of that’s probably the amazing music, which was mostly done by composers at Koei Tecmo instead of Atlus. I mention this because they loving nailed the P5 style dead-on. Anyway, game’s fun.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade

Revisiting this game was a joy. Yuffie is just a blast to control and I can’t wait to see how they build on her combat in the next entry. Fort Condor can eat my rear end, though.

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

You already know what #1 is.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

My original plan was to bookend the top 10 with Shadowbringers and Endwalker, but it turned out I didn’t like any of the other games on this list enough to put Shadowbringers below them! Even though Shadowbringers only had one content patch this entire year (counting the 5.5 series as “one”)! I just had too good a time with Shadowbringers, doing Savage raiding and leveling all my jobs to cap. But that’s enough about Shadowbringers, which I could include as part of the whole Final Fantasy XIV “package” with my Endwalker placement but I will choose to place at #2 as a form of weak protest against the weird way FFXIV is being counted.

Endwalker is loving outstanding, y’all. I didn’t think they could top Shadowbringers, and maybe they didn’t (I’m still far too close to EW’s release to be in any way fair), but even if it falls short in a few areas, that this conclusion to a story that’s been running in some form for over a decade didn’t fall flat on its face is an incredible triumph. It doesn’t fall short, though. It soars. Where it so easily could have just regurgitated the familiar to win over longtime fans or spent its entire run doing nothing more than meticulously tying up loose ends, Endwalker does something incredibly bold: it decides to actually be about something.

Final Fantasy XIV stands proudly next to One Piece for me, comprising two of my favorite stories ever, both of which I cannot reasonably recommend due to their absurd lengths. If you don’t care about something consuming your entire life and still want to give FFXIV a shot, then you’re in for a real treat. I love this game.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 1, 2022

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Just realize if you start your life will get sucked away and you won't play any other games. At least that's my experience!

Can you actually start or are new people still locked out to save the servers?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nachos posted:

Can you actually start or are new people still locked out to save the servers?

The lockout is still in effect to my knowledge. Though the queues have been pretty light since Christmas Eve at least, so there might not be too much longer to wait for them to reopen.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I was going to just do a top 5 but I remembered that I really needed to put in one of these somewhere. So enjoy a weird top 6.

6. Ring Fit Adventure
Primary descriptor: Fitness game with RPG elements
Secondary descriptor: Holy hell that's the swolest dragon I've ever seen

This is certainly the most interesting fitness game I've ever seen.

I was expecting little more than a minor story tacked onto a repetitive routine of whatever motions a gimmicked attachment could manage, but I was surprised to find a range of tactical options befitting a light JRPG. Enemy-specific weaknesses, cooldown management, buffs and debuffs, the works. While it wouldn't really befit the purpose, admittedly, these trappings kept leading me to want even more of that deeper complexity. Perhaps a sequel could have some kind of grid setup such that I can target enemies in an X pattern or tetris block shapes, for example, instead of being constrained to this one's only three options of single target, narrow spread, or arena-wide.

That, or add or some kind of system to encourage using exercises you might otherwise be avoiding.

More than the gameplay, the story itself- while again quite light- was a surprisingly thoughtful contemplation on the purpose of self-improvement and the drives behind our endeavors. I appreciate that there is a push against fitness purely for its own sake to the exclusion of other pursuits- while still part of one's goals, it should come alongside other concerns for oneself and others. It's nice!

----

5. PowerWash Simulator
Primary: Relaxing cleanup simulator
Secondary: Small town horror tour

This is a pretty great chill-out game- cleaning off overwhelmingly crusty architecture and vehicles makes for excellent podcast fodder. There's just enough strategy with attachments and weird angles to keep it from being a rote back-and forth matter, while still being a simple endeavor. Some of the most recently added maps include mobile elements, such as a fully operating Ferris wheel covered in an improbable amount of soot and spilled milkshake. Fitting with the levity of the experience, there are a few mildly comedic miniplots around the people whose stuff you're cleaning off, such as feuding circus ride operators, or a rich eccentric who needs you to clean off his drill machine a la The Core.

That all said, I do have to make sure to play this while fully fed and hydrated or else my head starts to spin. Very few games cause that sort of thing for me. I suspect it has to do with my eyes following the water stream, which lags behind my first-person cursor. Still, there are several settings to try and help with that.

----

4. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (AKA Yakuza 7)
Primary: Turn-based RPG
Secondary: If you see your enemy is a Secretary, run. You cannot win.

Of this series this is my favorite entry- granted, I have only played 0, Kiwami 1, and this, though I've seen large chunks of others secondhand. Ah well.

The primary thing that compels me to list this is, surprisingly for a Yakuza title in my experiences, the main plot. Sure, the fun characters are the part carrying it as always, but this time around every part of it is much more intimately personal to our cast.

There's serious, very overt themes here, somehow carried by a man whose brain has been so warped by years of playing Dragon Quest that he lets his real-life opponents take a turn to hit back every time. That comes off as a joke at Ichiban's expense at the start, and the change from an action combat system the turn-based gives it a much different flavor from the series. Even still, this manages to tie into the themes. Ichiban may be Yakuza, but he's really not cut out for the dirty business of it.

Ichiban isn't nearly as emotionally distant as Yakuza's Kiryu always seemed (on the surface at any rate). He is always in the thick of every scene, openly weeping, laughing, and howling in anger as the situation needs. It's simpler characterization, at times, but that openness is appreciated in lending scenes more weight. Most of the Yakuza plots I've seen are driven by things happening to Kiryu, drawing him into events whether he wants it or not. Some of that is still present to incite evens for Like a Dragon, but Ichiban actively involves *himself* in goings-on.

The entire cast is full of such people- intensely normal individuals, but so intensely so that they become larger than that life. It's not many games whose cast is pretty much entirely well past their prime. It's appreciated. You don't have to be that 10-year-old dragon quest kid to go out and make a difference in the world.

I should address the gameplay. As I noted, the shift to turn based fighting happened, and I see it as a net positive, or at least rather fresh. Even still, it's not the most balanced thing in the world, and very bloated with a lot of redundant combat skills. It's clear that the system is not something the team had the time or experience to hammer into full shape; even still it works well enough. That said, despite being a genre staple, I'm still a bit sore over being made to hunt down the enemy type with disproportionally massive XP and grind out levels.

Oh, the minigames and sidestories were pretty well polished, on the other hand. The way they all fit together with character progression due to the personality stat system is a neat trick.

----

3. Half Life: Alyx
Primary: VR Shooter
Secondary: What do you mean I have to *cycle* the pistol?

As a Half-Life game, this is just as complete as any of the mainline entries- in overall content it's somewhere between 2 and the episodes, leaning toward former. I was quite surprised! There's not a lot of VR titles that feel like a classic, serially-organized series of experiences with a learning and challenge curve.

There's a whole slew of "half-life moments" that really ground it in the series. Having to shoot the lock off an enclosure full of mutant headcrabs, for one, or weaving through a darkened machine room festooned with explosive barrels and barnacles. For everything that could remind someone that this is a VR title, there's something to bring the player back to well-known ground.

I'm on my third playthough right now in order to view all the developer commentary, and it is fascinating to hear all the tiny quirks that were needed to adapt a well-trod concept to the new format. A lot of the old tricks- both technical and on the side of design- simply don't work with the degree of freedom VR presents. Even if I do have to point and flick an analog stick to move around, it's almost scarily immersive to throw oneself behind a barrier as bullets fly overhead. In most games, blindfire is rarely a good option, but one can suddenly see the appeal when even poking one eye out tends to draw a flurry of activity.

There's definitely plenty of hurdles to overcome before they will feel comfortable with the seemingly promised follow-up- one in which you'll once again be voiceless and crowbar-laden- but this has given me every confidence that it will be satisfying and complete if it does happen.

----

2. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Primary: Visual Novel
Secondary: Leg Spikes for Days

I've seen intricate stories, but this takes things to another level- yet it is all highly cohesive. That's a mean feat for a story that seeks to combine virtually every time travel trope that has ever graced a story.

While it is not quite correct to call this a story with 13 paths- several of the characters' stories don't unlock until the very end, or have lengthy gaps that are filled by an entire other path- it still contains multitudes, and is more than the sum of those parts. If you like the sort of story that takes its time to weave together many threads into the proverbial tapestry, I recommend it.

Being a mystery visual novel with a light combat element for spice, massive spoilers follow. Before I get to those, though, I wanted to mention that the tactical mech combat part was an enjoyable addition that helped a lot to keep the energy up. Not very deep, very easy to beat, but that's exactly what it needed to be. Plus the sounds and visual effects are absolutely gorgeous. Missile Rain made my PS4 want to die but I refused to stop using it. Give me more games that let *me* fill the screen with AOE markers!

My favorite part of this whole thing was how my idea of the setting evolved. I can imagine that one gets a very different set of ideas if you do the stories in another order. I'd suspected fairly early on that there was no time travel when moving between sectors, though it took a while to work out other solutions to events, but that illusion could easily be preserved more completely on another playthrough.

With how I experienced it, I first postulated that the entire place was some sort of testing ground for the terraforming system, which the robots were resetting for some reason or another. In particular I thought that the sectors could be arranged vertically, hence some sectors being abandoned as the Deimos continued their work. This idea evolved when the matter of spacefaring came to the fore, my thought being that the sectors were modules spread across the ship.

I was a little disappointed that the entire thing was computer-generated- seems a bit cliche- but overall it served the story well enough. Execution quality matters more than novelty. It does have the amusing effect of making the name "sector" a mild foreshadowing element, it's like the parts of a hard drive!

----

Primary: JRPG MMO, story-focused
Secondary: The Warrior of Light will shoot you with their Friendship Laser

(Another one for the pile.)

How an MMO plot has consistently made me cry I may not ever truly understand.

A bit of personal history- I've been trying various MMORPGs for years. Runescape, WoW, Star Wars TOR, EVE, Phantasy Star Online 2, probably a few others I can't recall. The only one I really stuck with for any length of time was Runescape, and that was mostly due to sheer novelty and not realizing I was skinner-boxing myself into repetitive joylessness. The writing was okay for the time, it had a few good jokes, but nothing to write home about. I'd pretty much written off the medium- I could get briefly obsessed with a title, but quickly burn out and just waste money on a forgotten subscription.

Likewise, I'd only played one Final Fantasy game, XII, which I mostly recall for putting me to sleep, quite literally. In the middle of a fight, even. I'd have to play it again to form a real opinion on that title, but the point is that I'd never really wanted to interact with the franchise after that.

In short, when I was persuaded to try FF14 I figured it was going to be the worst possible combination of things for me.

So, to my surprise, I've played most of FF14 multiple times over, because it's just that worth experiencing. A game and four expansion packs' worth of back catalogue is, well, a lot, but that space is filled to the brim with all the things a game-world and story could need.

This is the first expansion for this game for which I've been on the ground floor of its release. It was absolutely full of surprises- new setting elements and a number of unexpected locales to visit- yet it all felt very cohesive with all that had come before. The themes this expansion focuses upon were very well-placed, and tied together a lot of prior events and used those elements to empower its characters. There's not a lot of games that immediately make me want to *discuss* themes. Having that sort of weight in a title that also wants me to play the same dungeons a few dozen times is a feat.

I could discuss more on the story but I'd just have to blackbar it all anyway. One thing I will feature, then, is the revised Summoner job-class. Prior to this expansion, playing as a Summoner was a rather disjoined experience. They were the pet class, a DoT caster, the one with a two-minute rotation of ability sets, and the high-actions-per-minute magic class. That's a lot of plates to be spinning. In Endwalker, though, the entire thing got rebooted. Your "pets" are now more like modes that you enter- if you summon the fire pet, your spells take longer to cast but do extra damage, similar to the Black Mage job. Your other summons have instant cast spells, giving you room to maneuver far beyond other casters. As such, you now have every reason to learn fights and find a rhythm of when to place each phase, adding a new tactical layer that wasn't present. This hearkens back to the very first parts of the Arcanist class that Summoner builds off of, in that there is a lot of talk about careful stratagems and fitting your approach to the challenge. After four expacs the class finally fits that flavor.

Also, one of the summons is Phoenix, which lets you do some healing. That is a fun little bit of utility that can help your team a lot. Between that and some unexpectedly potent shield abilities you're as close to an all-rounder as this game tends to get.

In summary, I finally found an MMO that managed to have a good story and gameplay at the same time. That's really all I wanted. This delivered, moreso than I could have asked for.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They will never, I'm sorry.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They'd need to do XI first

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everything in Power Wash Simulator is so dirty. Like, seriously, wtf

Zomborgon posted:

Primary: JRPG MMO, story-focused
Secondary: The Warrior of Light will shoot you with their Friendship Laser

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Does anyone have a link to the previous GoTY threads? I missed out on last year's, and I didn't see links in the OPs.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

homeless snail posted:

They will never, I'm sorry.

yeah it rules

Runa posted:

Everything in Power Wash Simulator is so dirty. Like, seriously, wtf

yeah it rules

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I will say that FFXIV and WoW are very different beasts when it comes to how pleasant it is to play with other people. FFXIV has extremely strict community moderation so it is very, very rare for someone to be mean or even slightly snippy at random other players in dungeons. If someone's being a dick, they can very easily get banned for it. As a result, FFXIV players tend to be extremely patient with new players (called "sprouts" because they have little green sprouts by their names) or even experienced players learning a new dungeon or fight.

I was personally and very obviously responsible for getting my whole group killed during the Endwalker final boss, right before the final phase, and the worst anyone said was "RIP lol"

Obviously if you don't wanna play an MMO, you don't wanna play an MMO, but it's worth mentioning that WoW and FFXIV really couldn't be more different in that regard. They've gone to pretty great lengths to make playing with randoms suck as little as possible in FFXIV.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Octatonic posted:

Does anyone have a link to the previous GoTY threads? I missed out on last year's, and I didn't see links in the OPs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906060&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875640&pagenumber=1

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly if you're at all intrigued why not just try FFXIV once the free trial is back? Worst that can happen is you're right about not liking it. You won't be putting in any monetary investment until after Heavensward, by which point you'll know for sure if it's for you or not.