Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m on Scott Adkins kick.

This week I watched Close Range, The Accident Man, and The Eliminators.

Tonight, I watch American Assassin

Next week, I am watching the Undisputed Movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Add in Avengement and a personal favorite of Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear if you have time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pillowpants posted:

A new Adkins dropped in the past week (or two), costarring Dolph Lundgren

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11377298/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjAW69vFe8

Haven't seen it myself yet tho.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Add in Avengement and a personal favorite of Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear if you have time.

I hated Avengement, but it was also the first movie I watched of Adkins due to a recommendation here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those Universal Soldier movies, Undisputed movies, and Assassination Games are some quality Atkins and Van Damme flicks.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I honestly put those two Universal Soldier films up there with the first Raid and Hard Boiled. That might be weird, but I am a weird dude. Also I bought them both on Blu for Christmas (Reckoning is the unrated version thats French but has english audio)

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

a personal favorite of Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear if you have time.

Great action flick, and an equally great title.

Pillowpants posted:

I hated Avengement, but it was also the first movie I watched of Adkins due to a recommendation here.

My first Adkins was Savage Dog, and I did not like it, which in turn made me think that I didn't like Adkins, but then I watched The Debt Collector, I did a complete 180. As of right now, it's still my favorite of his.

Disposable Scud posted:

I honestly put those two Universal Soldier films up there with the first Raid and Hard Boiled. That might be weird, but I am a weird dude.

Hmmm. I read that at first as putting the first two UniSols up there with Raid and Hard Boiled, and that was definitely an interesting take.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Narzack posted:

Great action flick, and an equally great title.

My first Adkins was Savage Dog, and I did not like it, which in turn made me think that I didn't like Adkins, but then I watched The Debt Collector, I did a complete 180. As of right now, it's still my favorite of his.

Hmmm. I read that at first as putting the first two UniSols up there with Raid and Hard Boiled, and that was definitely an interesting take.

What's the worst UniSol movie, the one with Goldberg?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PeterCat posted:

What's the worst UniSol movie, the one with Goldberg?

I think the one before that didn't have anyone of note in it and everybody rightfully forgets it even exists. The Goldberg one felt like it wanted to say "Yeah, we wont be as blandly by the numbers as the one before" and it kept that promise, for better and for worse.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The second Unisol movie is clearly written by someone who goes insane through the writing process. I understand, since they've had to write the stupidest 'we need to go to a strip club' scene of any 90s action film and the most gratuitous "our pro wrestler played character needs to do some pro wrestling" scene. Also, they wrote themselves into a corner with how much stuff Goldberg's character survived so he just sort of explodes off screen after the main bad guy is dead, along with the actually rather large army of still active and functional unisols.

Then Regeneration comes along and is the single most surprising good movie ever. The ten years later straight to DVD sequel to a sequel to a film that wasn't all that good to start with. Instead of a lovely cash in, it's a mediation on action films and how they interact with the real world.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Ive only seen the first one (which rules) and the one with Goldberg (which sucked). Had no idea that there were two more poo poo movies sandwiched between the two. I'll skip those, but you've convinced me to watch the others.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I watched Regeneration not expecting much and poo poo, right off the bat it goes pretty hard. Ended up being pretty dang impressed by it. Day of Reckoning is drat good too, that sports store fight scene? Perfecto.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Day of Reckoning is really really good. The final twenty minutes just rules and the movie is a really cool combo of horror/action.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve only seen the original Universal Soldier. Are any of the sequels worth watching before the two that everyone likes? Do those require you to have seen all the bad ones?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

B-Rock452 posted:

Day of Reckoning is really really good. The final twenty minutes just rules and the movie is a really cool combo of horror/action.

Yeah it's a thriller/horror/action movie executed well and that is a very rare thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’ve only seen the original Universal Soldier. Are any of the sequels worth watching before the two that everyone likes? Do those require you to have seen all the bad ones?

No. Regeneration is a soft reboot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest thing the later sequels take from the previous films is the long-standing relationship between Van Damme and Lundgren's characters. So if you've seen the original you've seen all that, so you should be good.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The two good sequels remember that Van Damme is a reanimated solider. The Return has him not only acting like a completely normal dude but he's also a dad?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

In the official Universal Soldier canon there are 3 canon movies (Universal Soldier (1992), Regeneration (2009) and Day of Reckoning (2012)) and 3 non-canon (Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms (1998 DTV), Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business (1998 DTV) and Universal Soldier: The Return (1999 theatrical release)).

The first two DTV movies used the same characters but recast with other actors and were intended to lead to a TV series but I think the 1999 theatrical sequel with JVCD and Dolph back onboard pretty much killed that idea.

Basically, Regeneration director John Hyams was allowed to just go "you know what, only the first movie is real all those other ones don't count".

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Disposable Scud posted:

The two good sequels remember that Van Damme is a reanimated solider. The Return has him not only acting like a completely normal dude but he's also a dad?

I only watched this once waaaay back when it first came out and my only hazy memory of it is JCVD chilling around the Unisol factory like some kind of happy consultant, getting into a fight with one of them that goes out of control and saying "I can still take them one on one" like he somehow got over being a Vietnam soldier raised from the dead on the run from some government science black project and is now just a family guy working in a weird job

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dog_Meat posted:

I only watched this once waaaay back when it first came out and my only hazy memory of it is JCVD chilling around the Unisol factory like some kind of happy consultant, getting into a fight with one of them that goes out of control and saying "I can still take them one on one" like he somehow got over being a Vietnam soldier raised from the dead on the run from some government science black project and is now just a family guy working in a weird job

I would not be surprised to hear that JCVD was so drat high on that set that he wasn't really sure which movie this was even supposed to be.

At least my general impression of the man in the 90s was that he did mountains of cocaine, I apologize to him if that's not true.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I would not be surprised to hear that JCVD was so drat high on that set that he wasn't really sure which movie this was even supposed to be.

At least my general impression of the man in the 90s was that he did mountains of cocaine, I apologize to him if that's not true.

Pretty sure it's true, I always heard he was just blitzed out of his mind on the street fighter set. For what it's worth I really like his recent stuff. Jean Claude Van Johnson should have gotten another season and Last Mercenary on Netflix is really really funny.

Also check out Raging Fire the new Donnie Yen movie. Just watched it and it has some awesome stunts and gunplay.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

I actually didn't think of that, and he was indeed a coke monster in the 90s. If you grew up with Jean Claude in his prime, the J.C.V.D monologue just hit differently

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Rob Schneider, who worked with him at least once, said that the best part was always being able to get good blow around him. Also, once, Van Damme was drunk/high as poo poo and got his rear end kicked by his bodyguard, Chuck Zito, who you may remember as the beefy mafia guy on OZ.

Did we end up discussing One Shot? It's actually really solid and, against all loving odds and logic, a pretty thoughtful take on the war on terror. Or, at least, a lot more thoughtful than you could reasonably expect. It does kind of waste Ryan Phillipe though. I like Phillipe and have since 'The Way of the Gun.' If you haven't seen that, go do it now. It's the last really good 90s crime caper flick with a dope cast and one of the best shootouts ever in the finale.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Way of the Gun is so goddamn good.

The "Game" trilogy starring Yusaku Matsuda is also excellent, if you can find a way to watch those. Very much a Seijun Suzuki meets John Wick situation and I'd argue that Matsuda has just as much, if not more of a screen presence as Sonny Chiba.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Snowman_McK posted:

Rob Schneider, who worked with him at least once, said that the best part was always being able to get good blow around him. Also, once, Van Damme was drunk/high as poo poo and got his rear end kicked by his bodyguard, Chuck Zito, who you may remember as the beefy mafia guy on OZ.

Did we end up discussing One Shot? It's actually really solid and, against all loving odds and logic, a pretty thoughtful take on the war on terror. Or, at least, a lot more thoughtful than you could reasonably expect. It does kind of waste Ryan Phillipe though. I like Phillipe and have since 'The Way of the Gun.' If you haven't seen that, go do it now. It's the last really good 90s crime caper flick with a dope cast and one of the best shootouts ever in the finale.

I had the exact same thoughts on One Shot. The absolute ruthlessness of the "leverage" and the scene where you see, in real time, a suicide bomber realize the reality of what is about to happen to him are not scenes I expected from this film.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

void_serfer posted:

Way of the Gun is so goddamn good.

The "Game" trilogy starring Yusaku Matsuda is also excellent, if you can find a way to watch those. Very much a Seijun Suzuki meets John Wick situation and I'd argue that Matsuda has just as much, if not more of a screen presence as Sonny Chiba.

Way of The Gun rocks, I remember seeing it in theaters and just loving the action although the plot gets way too confusing for its own good. It is also one of those movies that just nails the type of gear and tactics/movement used during that time period were which as a huge nerd I appreciate.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

B-Rock452 posted:

Way of The Gun rocks, I remember seeing it in theaters and just loving the action although the plot gets way too confusing for its own good. It is also one of those movies that just nails the type of gear and tactics/movement used during that time period were which as a huge nerd I appreciate.

It’s a movie that I’m still not sure that I like, but I definitely respect. All of the intense nihilism and unlikeable characters were deliberate choices on McQuarrie’s part as a reaction to the post-Pulp Fiction crime film. Definitely check out the commentary track if you haven’t before.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

void_serfer posted:

I saw a couple of these a long time ago, they were really really good. but what I remember most is the framing device portraying the protagonist as a total sad sack buffoon when the rest of the movie shows him as a supercool badass hitman, which struck me as a weird thing to put into the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

It’s a movie that I’m still not sure that I like, but I definitely respect. All of the intense nihilism and unlikeable characters were deliberate choices on McQuarrie’s part as a reaction to the post-Pulp Fiction crime film. Definitely check out the commentary track if you haven’t before.

A fun fact I know about it is that Benicio Del Toro cut a lot of his own dialogue. It's already a sparse, Mamety kind of script, but him and Phillipe communicate almost entirely in knowing glances and badass aphorisms.

"There's always free cheese in a mouse trap"

"I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen"

"You know what I'm gonna tell God when I see him? I'm gonna tell him I was framed"

Such a loving good script. I'm glad McQuarrie found his niche as Tom Cruise's guy. I don't think he'll hurt for work ever again.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Snowman_McK posted:

Such a loving good script. I'm glad McQuarrie found his niche as Tom Cruise's guy. I don't think he'll hurt for work ever again.

He has such a good eye for action.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

dokmo posted:

I saw a couple of these a long time ago, they were really really good. but what I remember most is the framing device portraying the protagonist as a total sad sack buffoon when the rest of the movie shows him as a supercool badass hitman, which struck me as a weird thing to put into the movie.

I think this is because he isn't "on the job" in those scenarios so has to play to an air of inconspicuousness. When he's in those bars on his own, they're all owned by the Yakuza and stuff so he knows not to stir up poo poo unless he's getting paid for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh yeah, I liked it. It's a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Even the kid had grown on me by the end. There are some bits that really elevate it and I enjoyed playing 'spot the Takeshi Kitano/Takashi Miike collaborator' among the cast. I think the bits that are genuinely inspired make the bits that are pedestrian more annoying, because you can see that this was a team capable of something great. The genuinely incredible restaurant scene being followed up with the competent but standard alleyway shootout is a perfect example

i watched Kate today and this is completely spot on. I was hoping they were going to go with 'there are very few guns in japan' to have a bunch of great hand to hand scenes, then bam, everyone has tons of ammo for an alley shootout.
But drat those two scenes were great, especially the cutting the ponytail off with the knife move, which is something I don't think I've seen before - fantastic.

And the 'spot the guy you recognize' was fun, Kijima I recognized from Audition but it took me a bit.

Kate really should have ended about 30 minutes before it did, at the family home. Ah well.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 21, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No John Wick 4 until March 2023? drat, I was hoping we'd have it somewhere in Fall/Winter of 2022.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
one shot is probably the best gun heavy adkins movie , i really liked it. ive been watching a shitload of movies lately but gotta get a bit of adkins in there to remind myself what true fight choreography is

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i watched one shot and enjoyed it, even after i had to stop the movie right before the final level of the video game to throw up

i cant play an fps for more than half an hour so its unsurprising that the movie made me incredibly nauseous

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I finally watched Chocolate , directed by the guy who did the tony jaa thai stuff, about an autistic chick who learns to fight watching jaa's movies

i did not expect it to go nearly as hard as it did, it started with jackie chan style setpiece fights in cool places but dear god how did they film the final action scene on the side of a roof, it seemed like it was just stuntmen plummeting off to get crushed

edit oh my god the outtakes holy christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMn4X8y_VY8 2:48 or so good lord

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I finally watched Chocolate , directed by the guy who did the tony jaa thai stuff, about an autistic chick who learns to fight watching jaa's movies

i did not expect it to go nearly as hard as it did, it started with jackie chan style setpiece fights in cool places but dear god how did they film the final action scene on the side of a roof, it seemed like it was just stuntmen plummeting off to get crushed

edit oh my god the outtakes holy christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMn4X8y_VY8 2:48 or so good lord

Chocolate loving rules

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Chocolate was amazing. It's a shame her other movies haven't matched it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

This week I watched Close Range, The Accident Man, and The Eliminators.

Tonight, I watch American Assassin

Next week, I am watching the Undisputed Movies

Scott Adkins movies rule. Most of his stuff on Netflix is worth watching. Hopefully he has a decent role in John Wick 4. This guy seriously is so underrated by Hollywood.

Also I would recommend Re:Born a Japanese action movie, the main actor Tak is one of the best action performers I've seen although there aren't many stuff of him or they are hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

poo poo that reminds me that I gotta buy that Versus Blu Ray that Arrow put out. Tak Sakaguchi is the coolest motherfucker alive and so is everyone else in that movie.