Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1476624741876355073

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

I'm pretty sure that any device that's been used to send or receive messages related to your job can later be searched by your employer on the pretext that you might have stored confidential information on it. Best to have a cheapo second device for work purposes imo, then you can turn it off and chuck it into a drawer at the end of the work day.

Yeah just looking at the prices of phones, might be better getting me a new one and using the old one for work.

I don't intend spending more than £120ish on a new phone but my 6 year old Android 5.1 is sadly reaching life's end and apps are refusing to update either because of lack of space (despite me deleting as much as possible and moving as much as else to SD card - so much google bloatware on there - hangouts etc - does anyone use google hangouts anymore? I thought it was defunct!)

I'm not worried about confidential stuff but when I just don't want work whatsapp interfering with my life! (They use it a lot because we have a lot of partners in Africa and India).

I hate looking for a new phone. Why on earth does anyone need FOUR cameras on one phone?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
imagine what the social would do to someone they caught doing a bit of cash in hand work to do up their flat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You know its a definite fix and absolute bang to rights caught corruption when they clear the accusation asap.
If it wasn't it would join the queue like Grenfel, Windrush, etc and an enquiry would be set up, only to conclude 10 years after it doesn't matter.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: oops. Tim Martin was trending on twitter, but they are posting a 2 year old article.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 30, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pace yourselves, we've got several more years of this poo poo before there is a potential change of government (not necessarily better, just different). :chaostrump:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jaete posted:

Yeah if I somehow fell through a crack in space-time into a jury, I'd probably vote "not guilty" on any type of shoplifting offence or similar petty theft where nobody was hurt but some poor person managed to steal from The Man :colbert:

Gambrinus posted:

I'd like to think I would have a blanket "not guilty" response if the death penalty ever gets introduced, although if that happens they'll probably have done away with juries by then.
Yeah more than this, we do not have a functioning criminal justice system, people who are charged for doing crimes are more likely to do other crimes than people who get away with it. This is (one reason) why I post "don't talk to police" so often. Someone getting charged just means ruining their lives, ruining their immediate family's lives, & ruining the lives of the next people they do crimes against owing to now being unemployable & having a serious axe to grind +criminal contacts.

If it's not a sex offence, an ongoing crime that you need protection from, or like a serial killer or some stupid poo poo: not guilty. Doesn't matter how guilty they are, they're not guilty.

e: confusing "charged" with "sentenced" itp bc the last study I read was about charges, but lmao the evidence is overwhelming:- don't talk to cops+not guilty every time

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 30, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Payndz posted:

Yes, fortunately. I've already written some lighthearted 'amateur detective with a gimmick' stories with the same main character, and the premise for this one is that he gets called for jury duty in a murder trial, which looks like an absolute slam-dunk conviction... until he spots something in the evidence that the police considered so trivial they ignored it, but with his esoteric knowledge he realises the whole case falls apart. The actual killer gave evidence that with the defendant innocent means they're the only other possible suspect. So he then has to convince the other jurors, and do his dramatic reveal after delivering the not guilty verdict.

It's not Rumpole, but I'd like to be at least vaguely realistic in the judge's reaction (I'm tempted to have the police open a new investigation against the real killer, but have my detective still get a week in pokey for contempt because the judge is a dick.)

I've done jury service in the past, but a lot of my memories of it have faded because of how boring the entire process is.

If you look at a jury summons there are reasons given for why you shouldn't serve on a jury. (For instance if you are a lawyer or work in some offices like the Pathogists office and I think the Social Welfare Office. Because you might know the accused was on welfare and that would prejudice you?)

Anyway it is an offence to serve on a jury when you know you aren't supposed to. So if you wanted a way for your main character to get locked up for doing the right thing, that would be an avenue to do so.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

(For instance if you are a lawyer
This one doesn't work anymore :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Do ministers of religion still get off?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Altar boys still exist

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rust Martialis posted:

Altar boys still exist
:rimshot:

Bullshit if they do, speaking as a Quaker who doesn't go to Quaker meeting's any more because they're very obviously hypocrisy, every vicar I know is a god damned heretic. I was making GBS threads myself when I did jury service because I had a 1/12 chance of being picked to have to stand up & "achtually" the judge, no anglican would do that :shrug:

(incidentally Jaeluni I'm pretty sure I've got a better-than-even chance of knowing a vicar you know, so if you know one who's obviously a comrade please tell her I'm sorry for being a bad friend)

e: my mental health crisis is showing, I'll log off

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have a doctorate in divinity from the Universal Life Church and am a fully-paid-up minister in the Church of the Subgenius (yes, I am both old and a nerd) so I'll have to give it a try if it comes up again.

(The $30 to Bob (Eternal salvation or TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK!) were the very first things I ever bought on the internet, in the days when ecommerce was a webform that emailed your credit card details to a bloke in Texas)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have a doctorate in divinity from the Universal Life Church and am a fully-paid-up minister in the Church of the Subgenius (yes, I am both old and a nerd) so I'll have to give it a try if it comes up again.

(The $30 to Bob (Eternal salvation or TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK!) were the very first things I ever bought on the internet, in the days when ecommerce was a webform that emailed your credit card details to a bloke in Texas)

Ah I see. The Gillian McKeith school of doctorates.

Mind you, when I was slogging my guts out over my PhD one of my brothers said why didn't I just buy one off the back of Private Eye "noone will know" he says (on the basis that anyone that can work out a percentage is instantly far better at maths than 99.9% of the population*). "I'll know" I said.

*completely made up figure but in the modern world who cares!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Benefit of clergy abolished 1827

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

I “got” the right answer seconds after I had given my decision as I suddenly realised it was the story that the Neil Gaiman story “a study in emerald” was a pastiche of.

Surely that's a pastiche of A Study in Scarlet?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Benefit of clergy abolished 1827

I just found this article

quote:

BARRED OCCUPATIONS
Before 2004, the list of occupations of people who were allowed to opt out of jury duty was extensive. It included pharmacists, doctors, vicars, members of the House of Lords and lawyers. Changes under the 2003 Criminal Justice Act means that these occupations can now be called to jury service in England and Wales, but may still be excused if they are called in Scotland. People who work as Police Officers at any level, or who volunteer as Special Constables are not allowed to serve of duties.

https://crbdirect.org.uk/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-doing-jury-service/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aren't there a couple of religions/sects who are allowed to opt out of jury duty because they believe that judgement is only for god to deliver?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't there a couple of religions/sects who are allowed to opt out of jury duty because they believe that judgement is only for god to deliver?

I can they can ask to be excused on that basis as I suppose anyone could and hope whoever is in charge lets them. I guess there's no blanket pass now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ah I see. The Gillian McKeith school of doctorates.

The rather more apt comparison is Ian Paisley, who didn't even pay for his honorary Doctorate of Divinity, but still insisted on being called Reverend Doctor. I paid my for mine, fair and square.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And yet he still got all arsey when the Discordians made him a Pope.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

It still works where I'm from. It came up when I was called for Jury service about four-five years ago.

I mean, if I got put on a jury I would be like "there are members of the prison service in this court. That means this person has been refused bail." So already I am up on knowing things I'm not supposed to know in court.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hate looking for a new phone. Why on earth does anyone need FOUR cameras on one phone?

You mean the triple lens clusters most of them have on the back? They do different things. Trust me, if you're even a little into photography and you end up in a situation where you actually need one of them you'll regret not having it - my phone doesn't have an optical zoom, just a digital "zoom" (crop and stretch the image) and it's cost me good photos of a fair few things.

I've been thinking about getting a new phone myself. I've only had this one three years and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, so normally I wouldn't even consider an upgrade, but I think it just barely predates 5G.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

Surely that's a pastiche of A Study in Scarlet?

Mostly, but the ending (and a key plot point which leads to it) is from Witness.

Edit: at least that’s what I remember, specifically the point about the woman giving the letter but I might actually be remembering that from another book again.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 31, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

You mean the triple lens clusters most of them have on the back? They do different things. Trust me, if you're even a little into photography and you end up in a situation where you actually need one of them you'll regret not having it - my phone doesn't have an optical zoom, just a digital "zoom" (crop and stretch the image) and it's cost me good photos of a fair few things.

I've been thinking about getting a new phone myself. I've only had this one three years and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, so normally I wouldn't even consider an upgrade, but I think it just barely predates 5G.

I'm not much into photography.
I've found the one I'm going to get

Nokia G10 6.5 Inch Android UK SIM Free Smartphone with 3 GB RAM and 32 GB Storage (Dual SIM) - Night Blue

£107.

Just waiting for January 1st to order so I don't muck up my end of year final spreadsheets (I zero all my credit cards for Jan 1st except for the one I have a balance transfer on thanks to emergency dental work that cost a bloody fortune earlier this year).

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Prison is college for criminals

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Salisbury Snape posted:

Prison is college for criminals

Fucks sake don't tell Kieth, he'll make charging lags tuition fees a manifesto promise.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fucks sake don't tell Kieth, he'll make charging lags tuition fees a manifesto promise.

Funniest thing I saw on a bus in Cairo - two men handcuffed together, one a 'plain clothes policeman' (identifiable from the knitted cuffs on his faux-leather jacket) and a prisoner (well either that or some kind of LARP). Both, including the prisoner, paid their own bus fare when the guy came round.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/keejayov3/status/1476699505873534982?s=21

Holy loving poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've been reliably informed that seeing someone with two phones means they are a criminal and must be reported to the police. Dialing 999 on Jaeluni as we speak.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which phone do you have, can I ask?

I picked up a Samsung Note 9 second-hand. The Samsung flagship phones have dual messenger support built-in (so either the S or the Notes); the lower models do not.

My own preference is for older flagships over a new mid-range or budget phone - better support, problems are easier to google, better accessories, that kind of thing. And then there's the propensity towards gating features to flagship series (like, ahem, dual messenger support).

I don't see the Nokia G10 mentioned as having such functionality built-in, FWIW. You could root it of course, but that is its own kind of problematic and some banking apps really don't like it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

I've been reliably informed that seeing someone with two phones means they are a criminal and must be reported to the police. Dialing 999 on Jaeluni as we speak.

Well poo poo. As i walk around playing pokemon go with 4 phones and a tablet what does that make me? Other than very, very sad.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

2 phones = middle class cocaine bastard. Please hand in you passport and driving licence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

Well poo poo. As i walk around playing pokemon go with 4 phones and a tablet what does that make me? Other than very, very sad.

Some sort of hindu god, or the guy from mortal kombat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angepain posted:

Was in Dublin down looking for a job in the early 2000s, and I was at some traffic light waiting for it to change to cross the road.
Loads of people about, and there were your seated beggars at each of the traffic stops back then. And I hear a phone go off.
The beggar then takes out THREE phones to check which one was ringing.
Was amazed, as couldn't afford a phone myself.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Four lovely sensors are cheaper than one good sensor, and the results require a trained eye to differentiate.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Some sort of hindu god, or the guy from mortal kombat.

You can keep them charged without being a lightning god, just use a power bank with multiple outputs, geez.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

I'm pretty sure that any device that's been used to send or receive messages related to your job can later be searched by your employer on the pretext that you might have stored confidential information on it. Best to have a cheapo second device for work purposes imo, then you can turn it off and chuck it into a drawer at the end of the work day.

Its in most contracts that if you use a personal device for work purposes they have the right to delete all data on that device to ensure anything related to work has been removed when you leave.

Like non compete clauses, I very much doubt it would ever be enforced unless there were extremely extenuating circumstances.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bob will save your wallet and your life... in that order

I feel compelled to remind you that according to the Discordians you are also a Pope.

e: you're welcome
http://principiadiscordia.com/downloads.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Some optimistic Omicron news from South Africa :)

The Guardian posted:

Omicron-fuelled fourth Covid wave has passed, says South Africa, as it eases restrictions

Cases have dropped nearly 30% in a week, say authorities, as Israel approves fourth booster shot and New Year’s Eve gatherings around the world are restricted.

South Africa has lifted a nightime curfew on people’s movement with immediate effect, believing the country has passed the peak of its fourth coronavirus wave driven by the Omicron variant.

As the head of the World Health Organization sounded an optimistic note about beating the pandemic in 2022, the government in Pretoria removed the midnight-to-4am curfew based on the trajectory of the pandemic, vaccination levels and available capacity in the health sector, the government said on Thursday.

“All indicators suggest the country may have passed the peak of the fourth wave at a national level,” a statement from a special cabinet meeting held earlier on Thursday said.

“While the Omicron variant is highly transmissible, there has been lower rates of hospitalisation than in previous waves,” the cabinet statement said.

Data from South Africa’s health department showed a 29.7% weekly decrease in new cases detected in the week ending 25 December, the government said. Hospital admissions have declined in eight of South Africa’s nine provinces

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/31/omicron-fuelled-fourth-covid-wave-has-passed-says-south-africa-as-it-eases-restrictions

Hopefully, January isn't going to be the bloodbath that some people have been worrying about over the last couple of weeks.