Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shima Honnou posted:

send some our way it's gonna be like 45 in michigan for new year lol

Less PFAS to shovel, big win all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1476559210515206148

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

lmao dispensing plastic products into the environment that erode and become choking hazards to countless creatures

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

biosphere collapse intersecting with the i hate cars thread

truly all cspam threads become one

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Hope those dead fish appreciate they were eradicated by one of our well intentioned ecological disasters.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

once again, just the absolute dumbest loving species

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
the good news is we’re giving fishies more areas to swim

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I use the same reasoning when I poo poo on the floor of the McDonald's bathroom

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

loving idiots lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Germany might be carbon free if they kept nuclear but got rid of gas and coal instead, if their solar and wind is really near 41%

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Spergin Morlock posted:

loving idiots lol

same but for the whole species lmao

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lmao 40% are burned for fuel

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

lol they're sending divers down to collect all that they can, a multi-year project. And then they're going to burn them all.

:rubby:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

guys i have a great idea. how about we shut down all of germany's nuclear plants and increase their reliance on an adversarial power for their energy needs. all because an earthquake and tsunami took out a japanese nuclear plant under circumstances that would never be replicated in germany

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Spergin Morlock posted:

guys i have a great idea. how about we shut down all of germany's nuclear plants and increase their reliance on an adversarial power for their energy needs. all because an earthquake and tsunami took out a japanese nuclear plant under circumstances that would never be replicated in germany
Anything that weakens the Nazis sounds good to me

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

fits my needs posted:

lmao 40% are burned for fuel

yeah not only did we think it was a good idea to dump tires into the ocean (wtf) but this too?

so lemme get this straight

25% into new products like roads (which then end up leeching into the ecosystem)
40% straight up burned for fuel (hello toxic smoke!!!)
12% into landfills (which at least to its credit is the traditional way of polluting)
23% get a second life (aka let some poors die when this used tire explodes, then do one of the above)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"well-intentioned environmental project" my rear end. they did it to dump a bunch of tires on the cheap. we still don't have a way to devulcanize tires and reuse them and people have been trying to get around the disposal cost for decades.

dumping stuff in the ocean means total removal from existence for essentially everyone. the ocean is our communal trash can and we love throwing stuff we can't get rid of elsewhere into it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AppleNippleBOB posted:

lol they're sending divers down to collect all that they can, a multi-year project. And then they're going to burn them all.

:rubby:

no, they make bracelets

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

go go lignite! german coal for german powerplants! jobs! clean coal! bridge fuel!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I bet my car battery reef is doing well though

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bedpan posted:

"well-intentioned environmental project" my rear end. they did it to dump a bunch of tires on the cheap. we still don't have a way to devulcanize tires and reuse them and people have been trying to get around the disposal cost for decades.

dumping stuff in the ocean means total removal from existence for essentially everyone. the ocean is our communal trash can and we love throwing stuff we can't get rid of elsewhere into it.

I mean at this point we might as well just jettison that poo poo into space, just need an economical way to do it

the great space elevator trash chute

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

me do thing super effective in comparison to decisions of sovereign nations etc etc

PERSONAL (individual) RESPONSIBILITY!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
still lollin about the cumtown astronaut

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

used tires can't be just tossed into a landfill like normal garbage because they will gradually make their way to the top and burst out of the ground. we have known this for decades and been trying to come up with a cheap way of disposing of used tires for the same amount of time. the current favorite dumping methods are to put the tires into huge piles and wait for a stray spark to start a tire fire or just throw the tires into an incinerator.

framing dumping tires into the ocean as "well intentioned" is really getting me mad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
an entire civilization built out of slowly degenerating yet ineradicable poison

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Did we mention Colorado being on fire again yet?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
12% or so natural gas electric generation is dumb
but not as astoundingly idiotic as the US at over 40%

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bedpan posted:

used tires can't be just tossed into a landfill like normal garbage because they will gradually make their way to the top and burst out of the ground. we have known this for decades and been trying to come up with a cheap way of disposing of used tires for the same amount of time. the current favorite dumping methods are to put the tires into huge piles and wait for a stray spark to start a tire fire or just throw the tires into an incinerator.

framing dumping tires into the ocean as "well intentioned" is really getting me mad
maybe a better favorite dumping method should be sending them to the atacama desert. poor people love our trash afterall, it's really to their benefit, infact, maybe they should be paying us to take out toxic trash??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/germanys-energy-consumption-rising-renewables-share-falling-2021

lol germany is now dependant upon russian lng because otherwise ppl will freeze to death and heat to death and now everyone is running out buying air conditioning and heaters

by the way, biomass is a complete loving scam. it's not renewable. it's extensively carbon negative and includes cutting down pristine forests in latin america, canada, us, chomping them into compressed pellets, and shipping them out on bunker-fuel guzzling megafreighters out to ports and then put onto trucks into germany

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
couldn't we just dump the tires in antartica and let them absorb them sunlight instead of the ice

give me 2 billion dollars

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

RC Cola posted:

Did we mention Colorado being on fire again yet?
I'm always split on whether to post these things in the weather thread or here
https://twitter.com/NWSBoulder/status/1476677034218688512
https://twitter.com/DillonMThomas/status/1476667652542119938
https://twitter.com/AaronRigsbyOSC/status/1476691748336259072

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Rutibex posted:

bugs are gross what the hell. I'll just eat an apple

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

My aunt and cousin live there and are being evacuated. Sucks.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I was talking about Paradise, CA's 50mph winds and now :stare:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1476697059516321796

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
World famous oceanographer: we did not know and could not know that just dumping all our garbage into the ocean was in fact a bad idea. There was simply no way to know this. Is the ocean a place where things live or is it nothing more than a big wet immaculate garbage dump. How could I, an oceanographer, have known the answer to this mystery a mere thirty years ago

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bedpan posted:

I know here farmers used to take tires for free, now I think they charge a small fee.
They use them to weigh down the black plastic on green cuttings to turn it into sileage. eventually the tires wear down and they replace them.

I think the modern method there's machinary to bale up cuttings in plastic wrap as it's harvested which turns to sileage in the bag. Then they burn the plastic sheeting after it's used.

Never really thought about it before but might be concerning that cow feed is produced in plastic and could be the introducing it to the food chain.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ruggan posted:

yeah not only did we think it was a good idea to dump tires into the ocean (wtf) but this too?

so lemme get this straight

25% into new products like roads (which then end up leeching into the ecosystem)
40% straight up burned for fuel (hello toxic smoke!!!)
12% into landfills (which at least to its credit is the traditional way of polluting)
23% get a second life (aka let some poors die when this used tire explodes, then do one of the above)

100% chance of extinction

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

climate challenge accepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/germanys-energy-consumption-rising-renewables-share-falling-2021

lol germany is now dependant upon russian lng because otherwise ppl will freeze to death and heat to death and now everyone is running out buying air conditioning and heaters

by the way, biomass is a complete loving scam. it's not renewable. it's extensively carbon negative and includes cutting down pristine forests in latin america, canada, us, chomping them into compressed pellets, and shipping them out on bunker-fuel guzzling megafreighters out to ports and then put onto trucks into germany

The power these nuclear plants are generating will most likely be replaced by coal, not gas. Gas plants would be required either way because they can be spun up at a moment's notice, the situation would be the same as it is now with or without the nuclear shutdown, as those generate base load.