Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This thread seems to be about the same issue:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/da81c9c7-59e6-490b-b38b-120c86494fb5/runtimebroker-shutting-down-machine

There isn't any explanation or fix found there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mattfl posted:

After seeing how much money is being wasted during this Cerner -> Epic conversion I've stopped giving a gently caress about not my money.

:rip:

But yeah EMR conversions are always OT pinatas. Take what money you feel like getting and dip.

Speaking of healthcare IT, I've decided that my mission for 2022 is to GTFO out of healthcare IT. I'm really starting to hate this industry. At least at a normal firm I don't have every idiot having a reason to get an urgent ticket and nobody's lives are at stake because people cut corners. With COVID it's plain that I'm completely expendable and don't even get any benefit for being about as frontline as it gets.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll look again to see if I can find more information about the actual shutdown message. I'd be very surprised if it was a power incident -- the hardware is new and I replaced the power strip, and it's running on the same circuit as her cube mate. I suppose it could be the outlet itself but the issue never happens during work hours and you'd expect it to if it was glitchy wiring.

Is the user using this shutdown as an excuse for why they aren't meeting a deadline?

Even if not, I would suggest hinting that the user is causing the shutdown themself, either intentionally or through incompetence.

With careful nurturing, you may be able to develop a new nemesis.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

skooma512 posted:

:rip:

But yeah EMR conversions are always OT pinatas. Take what money you feel like getting and dip.

Speaking of healthcare IT, I've decided that my mission for 2022 is to GTFO out of healthcare IT. I'm really starting to hate this industry. At least at a normal firm I don't have every idiot having a reason to get an urgent ticket and nobody's lives are at stake because people cut corners. With COVID it's plain that I'm completely expendable and don't even get any benefit for being about as frontline as it gets.

What's up, wanna-get-out-of-healthcare-IT buddy?

I don't mind my employer really, in fact they're pretty great but I'm doing nothing most days except for homework and a couple people I work closely with are really intolerable. Like, even worse than customers I had working retail years ago awful.

It's a tough call because I may find a better job that pays more but that leaves less time for school right now lol

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

regulargonzalez posted:

I suppose it could be the outlet itself but the issue never happens during work hours and you'd expect it to if it was glitchy wiring.

I had a situation where we couldn't figure out why this doctor's PC kept powering off after they left the room for an extended period of time and it turned out the system was plugged into a motion-detector triggered outlet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would have probably stayed in healthcare if we didn't have so many loving cuts and my boss wasn't a dink

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
So when your boss's, boss's, boss's, boss says "Page me if there are any alerts with customer X over the holiday week" and you page them at 2am their time you get a very entertaining rant in Teams.

Would page again +++ :)

At least he responded - its very common for anyone above the lowest level of management never to respond. You can be drat sure ICs love naming names for the nobels who don't respond and setting them to bold print in all the tickets.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

I would have probably stayed in healthcare if we didn't have so many loving cuts and my boss wasn't a dink

Oh. You said cuts.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

klosterdev posted:

I had a situation where we couldn't figure out why this doctor's PC kept powering off after they left the room for an extended period of time and it turned out the system was plugged into a motion-detector triggered outlet.

AAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAA!

Trigger warning that poo poo. Dammit! *starts shaking and sweating and staring at the freight elevator*

:negative:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Agrikk posted:

AAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAA!

Trigger warning that poo poo. Dammit! *starts shaking and sweating and staring at the freight elevator*

:negative:

When we opened our new tower this kept happening in offices until we found out that part of some new "code" is to install these types of outlets for at least 50% of the outlets in a room. So lets say a typical managers office has 6 total outlets, 3 of them have to be motion activated. So you've got one outlet under their desk that has one normal outlet and one motion outlet. Well that does us IT people a lot of good when you have 1 monitor and 1 PC that need to be plugged in at that desk. So we had to go back through all the offices and install medical grade power strips(hospital setting) and make sure they were all plugged into the non switched outlet, in a 5 story tower, with 10-15 offices per floor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hung up on some cold caller trying to dig up information

He calls back and leaves me a voicemail. OH THATS YOUR NAME YOURE REAL RUDE WE GOT DISCONNECTED BUT I THINK YOU HUNG UP IN MY FACE
I'M JUST TRYING TO DO MY JOB MAN BLAH BLAH BLAH

:rolleyes:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

there was some "environmental savings" button at the new Certified Leed Platinum building we moved into, which would shut off "non-essential" loads when people went home for the night. Of course this meant everyone's desk power why do you ask

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being forced to power off stuff sucks, but on the other hand when I would go home for the night and walk past nerdpantst mcgee's desk with xlock on and sleep mode disabled and he went on vacation last week.. well, maybe there's some justification for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't really think of a justification to leave a desktop on once you've left the office. Windows hibernates and resumes fine if you're not using trash hardware with bad drivers, and chances are if you're an office worker then you have a laptop post-2020 anyway. Turning off people's phone chargers, desk lamps, fans etc. when nobody is in makes sense.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't really think of a justification to leave a desktop on once you've left the office. Windows hibernates and resumes fine if you're not using trash hardware with bad drivers, and chances are if you're an office worker then you have a laptop post-2020 anyway. Turning off people's phone chargers, desk lamps, fans etc. when nobody is in makes sense.

Our offices are shared by multiple shifts, so someone is in the office 24/7 and they are also in/out of the office multiple times as needed on the floor.

Out of the 2200 devices in my hospital, probably 4-500 of them are laptops, the rest are desktops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is different though and it's understandable you don't want things turning off in the middle of your working day. When I say "left the office" it was in the context of going home for the day, not taking a dump or whatever.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

oh yeah, forgot to mention that this building included a 24x7 newsroom for one of the biggest newspapers in the country

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mattfl posted:

So you've got one outlet under their desk that has one normal outlet and one motion outlet. Well that does us IT people a lot of good when you have 1 monitor and 1 PC that need to be plugged in at that desk.

Plug the monitor in the motion outlet.

If nobody's in the room, who's going to be looking at the monitor?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So someone complained about the font on a status board to an exec rather than you know... the helpdesk or anyone in IT.

I walk there in the rain, only to find simple options like text scaling can't be changed due to group policy, which I have no influence over.

WHY THE gently caress AM I HERE THEN? I am so sick of getting tickets I can do absolutely nothing about, have to create a child ticket that's going to get blown off for a week or more, and have to sit on the original ticket and hear about the metrics I'm missing. Why even have me then if I don't even have access to the policies, and where the gently caress are the people with the access?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

skooma512 posted:

text scaling can't be changed due to group policy

Where the hell do you work, the Ministry of Truth? That's kind of insane. What about people with bad eyesight, or ultra high pixel density monitors -- they have to put in a ticket for the sysadmin to adjust their text scaling?

Sounds like a nightmare.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let's see if I can get it in one. Do you work in healthcare? Or education? I guess that's two. Let's go in that order.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Had someone drive a stolen tractor through the gates of a remote yard a couple of days ago, and completely drain our diesel pump.

Our site manager should get a call from the 3rd party security monitoring company if any movement is detected for a certain period of time between the hours of 6pm and 6am, but he said he wasn't notified.

Director is furious and asks me to ring security company and find out why.

Turns out they had been emailing our company asking for permission to attend the yard and check the DVR as the alarm reporting was not triggering correctly.

Who had they been emailing? The site manager.

How long had they been emailing? Every week for the past year

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RIP that man's job

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There should be no peace for this man. Please tell me you went supersonic on his account and made sure as poo poo the e-mails went directly to his inbox (vs a plausible deniability of junk\delete).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
RIP every user who got a new phone for Christmas but didn't back up their authenticator app and traded in their old phone to their carriers

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

incoherent posted:

There should be no peace for this man. Please tell me you went supersonic on his account and made sure as poo poo the e-mails went directly to his inbox (vs a plausible deniability of junk\delete).

I told the Director what the security company told me, but I haven't heard any more about it so I am guessing the site manager owned up to it (or at least isn't trying to blame me somehow).

I did run off the mail flow report showing the emails coming in, and a mailbox rule audit that shows the rule he created to forward all mail from the security companies' domain to a subfolder, just in case he did try to throw me under the bus though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

klosterdev posted:

RIP every user who got a new phone for Christmas but didn't back up their authenticator app and traded in their old phone to their carriers

RIP help desk worker who has to log into the duo admin console and send out activations one by one to all those people.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whipstickagostop posted:

I told the Director what the security company told me, but I haven't heard any more about it so I am guessing the site manager owned up to it (or at least isn't trying to blame me somehow).

I did run off the mail flow report showing the emails coming in, and a mailbox rule audit that shows the rule he created to forward all mail from the security companies' domain to a subfolder, just in case he did try to throw me under the bus though.

As much as that guy is an idiot, the security company should have picked the phone up after a few weeks of not getting a response

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

As much as that guy is an idiot, the security company should have picked the phone up after a few weeks of not getting a response

Guarantee those emails were sent automatically and nobody noticed there wasn't a response for a year.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

On one hand, they actually may have done that. That guy's department is terrible for not passing over information.

On the other hand, the security company are also pretty awful. They were adamant they hadn't changed the local admin passwords on ANY of our DVRs. I was adamant they had changed the admin passwords on ALL of our DVRs. This dragged on for several months, during which time I couldn't add or edit any users or IP cameras as all the other user accounts on the DVRs were view-only ones.
It only got resolved when the above Director wanted to add a PTZ camera to one site (he loves installing cameras for some reason). He was there with me when I installed the DVR and knew what I had set the password to so he phoned up and kicked off. We both got CCed in on an email a few days later with a list of passwords which were not the original ones I set.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So our AOVPN doesn't work on Windows 11.

In unrelated news, the head of IT updated their Win10Enterprise company laptop to Windows 11.

klosterdev posted:

I have to have four different authenticator apps on my work phone and that in itself pisses me off.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lum posted:

In unrelated news, the head of IT updated their Win10Enterprise company laptop to Windows 11.

A bright spot is Windows 10 is good till 2025! You can smooth out the rough spots over ~1,098 days.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Server rack move including a SAN with half the people we were supposed to have along with some new keystone ports at a site 2 hours away to be capped off with putting up about 50 crappy white drop ceiling tiles only to find out the other person involved wasn’t careful and ran wires on the wrong side of the drop ceiling lattice in a few spots. The part that pissed me off? The keystones were cheap and the 4 and 5 wire slots often bent during the punch down which would mean you had to start all over again. Oh and the hand drilling, gently caress hand drilling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to chuck Windows 11 on my work laptop and just ride it out I think. I sort of work in the orbit of Modern Desktop so really should be dogfooding it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I love the interest free loan I'm giving the payroll company who can't pay out all the OT I billed in the first half of December because of the Kronos fuckery.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
For the most part, “saving money” or reining in spending only happens or matters when it comes to paying people. Saving waste and being more efficient with money is apparently rarely worth the effort. But gently caress you, you can’t have $1,000 extra total next year to split across your team to bump their pathetic raises a little higher.

No Christmas bonus of any kind this year. Kinda weird.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

I have to have four different authenticator apps on my work phone and that in itself pisses me off.

Props to your head of IT?

I mean, that's something he probably should have checked before upgrading, but at least he was piloting it himself, first, rather than just rolling it out to everyone without testing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Woo, working tonight doing payroll stone age style with Kronos still hosed up

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

good morning

teams is down

again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Woo, working tonight doing payroll stone age style with Kronos still hosed up

Jesus. How long has it been?