Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This isn’t specifically radio related but radio adjacent. I picked up this oscilloscope. It’s a 2 channel 100mhz Instek from the early 00’s

It’s in sort of a weird position where it’s straddling the older school design and the modern design for oscilloscopes. It has a CRT, but a really nice crisp late-era CRT, but it also has onboard compute capabilities, onboard storage, serial communications, video-out over VGA and stuff like that.

On the subject of serial communications it apparently speaks SCPI, which is a standard protocol for lab equipment like this. Is there any sort of software that will talk with this over SCPI, or am I stuck rolling my own?

I received the manual with it and it lays out all of the SCPI commands that will work with it and I can slowly peck them into putty, but if there was some sort of graphical front end to make it easier that would be nice

Found something, I'll start here

https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/automating-test-equipment-with-python.html

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
More firsts: borrowed some gear and made my first HF contacts today. That is really addictive Vs tuning around on VHF and getting nothing at all. God, this is a whole new world! I worked North Carolina, Italy, and Russia on 50W with an 857 and a Buddipole knock-off.

I need my own gear, pronto.

Also worked another satellite today, managed to get into AO-91 really well and SO-50 again so this crappy antenna definitely isn’t a fluke. Surprised how simple it was to get into. Hand-aiming definitely not easy though.

What’s the best iOS app for live tracking with azimuth/elev etc? Maybe tape my phone to the boom or make a little cradle for it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

thehustler posted:

More firsts: borrowed some gear and made my first HF contacts today. That is really addictive Vs tuning around on VHF and getting nothing at all. God, this is a whole new world! I worked North Carolina, Italy, and Russia on 50W with an 857 and a Buddipole knock-off.

I need my own gear, pronto.

Also worked another satellite today, managed to get into AO-91 really well and SO-50 again so this crappy antenna definitely isn’t a fluke. Surprised how simple it was to get into. Hand-aiming definitely not easy though.

What’s the best iOS app for live tracking with azimuth/elev etc? Maybe tape my phone to the boom or make a little cradle for it.

Yeah I was really not feeling this hobby after almost four years without an HF rig. If I hadn't gotten the 991A I probably would've sold my FT-60 and hosed off to another interest. HF is just another plane of existence compared to the smoothbrain Elmers that infest UHF/VHF.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

I really want one of those, the 991 is massive by comparison. Sure an internal ATU is nice, but not 5KG nice.

Yaesu hosed by up discontinuing it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It was better than I expected. Not TOO heavy and also has 50W. If you’re doing portable and don’t mind the extra weight it’s a good choice.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

just got this on the last iss pass:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
could someone please take a look at this screenshot of my radio's waterfall, and help me understand this sudden change in "noise" signals?

the screenshot shows the lower part of the MW band -- the strong signal on the left is 580 kHz for reference.

you can see the "real" radio signals are continuous, but the "noise" signals have a sudden discontinuity! What could cause this discontinuity? I don't think i touched anything on my radio!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Switching power supply, USB3 device, etc. come to mind first as "things around my radio that I'd be looking at". Have you put ferrite cores on all the cables in/out around whatever that is that's producing the waterfall to see if you can lower your noise floor?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Switching power supply, USB3 device, etc. come to mind first as "things around my radio that I'd be looking at". Have you put ferrite cores on all the cables in/out around whatever that is that's producing the waterfall to see if you can lower your noise floor?

i haven't tried the ferrite cable chokes yet... the RFI situation in my shack is hardly ideal! It's on the 2nd floor, and I'm not permitted to punch holes in the walls or run cables out the window. So, the radio and antenna are completely ungrounded. :whitewater:

The antenna is a telescopic whip, extended to its full length of about 116 cm. It's indoors, and very close to all kinds of noisy stuff: computers, speakers, computer monitors, laptops, cell phones, etc.

I know there are many things I need to do before I can eliminate the noise. The ferrite chokes are a good suggestion, because I don't have to put holes in the walls or relocate my shack. But for the moment, I'm more interested in studying the noise than eliminating it!

I know that there are different kinds of noise, and I'm hoping someone can identify this stuff based on the screenshot. Switching power supplies around the house would be my guess too. But, if that's right, what could cause them to change the frequencies of their emissions like that? Something happening with the electrical utility's equipment -- maybe a transformer?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Do they go if you disconnect the whip?

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i haven't tried the ferrite cable chokes yet... the RFI situation in my shack is hardly ideal! It's on the 2nd floor, and I'm not permitted to punch holes in the walls or run cables out the window. So, the radio and antenna are completely ungrounded. :whitewater:

The antenna is a telescopic whip, extended to its full length of about 116 cm. It's indoors, and very close to all kinds of noisy stuff: computers, speakers, computer monitors, laptops, cell phones, etc.

I know there are many things I need to do before I can eliminate the noise. The ferrite chokes are a good suggestion, because I don't have to put holes in the walls or relocate my shack. But for the moment, I'm more interested in studying the noise than eliminating it!

I know that there are different kinds of noise, and I'm hoping someone can identify this stuff based on the screenshot. Switching power supplies around the house would be my guess too. But, if that's right, what could cause them to change the frequencies of their emissions like that? Something happening with the electrical utility's equipment -- maybe a transformer?

Those vertical lines could theoretically be generated by something plugged in your house, even if it's far from the radio itself. My uneducated understanding is that sometimes the rfi can travel across building wiring. Possibly it could be generated by something in your neighbor's (if you have one) apartment or even from a neighboring building through the outside power lines since the wiring is close/actually connected somewhere.

The best thing would be to turn off all power to the building and then turn breakers on one-by-one and check the waterfall each time. But it sounds like you probably don't have good access to that, so you could unplug everything in your apartment and then plug them back in one-by-one to see what generates which lines and also which lines are gone when everything's unplugged. If you have lines but nothing plugged in, then you can rule out stuff in your apartment causing it and your options to fix them start narrowing.

One thing that's killing my noise floor right now are christmas lights -- ones on my house as well as neighbors'.

It helps to have an external battery when testing this stuff so you can completely eliminate interference to the transceiver coming through the power lines.

Buy yourself a big bag of ferrites/chokes because once you start hunting RFI and noticing improvements, you'll never stop seeking the interference.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
switching power supplies have notoriously unstable oscillators and you'll see shifts like that whenever something gets plugged into or disconnected from them, they heat up, they cool down, a stray neutron hits them, butterfly flaps its wings in Tibet...the list goes on. They suck real bad.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

thehustler posted:

Do they go if you disconnect the whip?

yes, thanks for asking! heres a screenshot of that happening.

you can see the noise floor come up when i first lay hands on the antenna. then it goes mostly dark when i actually unscrew it out of the magnetic mount. you can see it come back when i screw it back in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Voltage changes from the utility, voltage sags in your house (i.e., fridge, oven, other high current devices turning on), the equipment on the load side of the switching supply changing loads, pretty much anything like that. I would expect it to be close to your receiver if it's coming through that way.

If you really want to narrow things down run everything radio-related on battery and start turning thing on and off in your house. Or just start will being on battery and killing the main breaker. Then see what you have. Then start putting on ferrite chokes/rearranging cables to get your rig as quiet as possible. Then start turning things back on and see what's spewing what.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

switching power supplies have notoriously unstable oscillators and you'll see shifts like that whenever something gets plugged into or disconnected from them, they heat up, they cool down, a stray neutron hits them, butterfly flaps its wings in Tibet...the list goes on. They suck real bad.

do you suppose all these noise bands are coming from the same switching power supply? am i just seeing harmonics from some lower fundamental frequency? or is there some other reason why i see noise at multiple, separate frequencies?

Tommah posted:

Those vertical lines could theoretically be generated by something plugged in your house, even if it's far from the radio itself. My uneducated understanding is that sometimes the rfi can travel across building wiring. Possibly it could be generated by something in your neighbor's (if you have one) apartment or even from a neighboring building through the outside power lines since the wiring is close/actually connected somewhere.

The best thing would be to turn off all power to the building and then turn breakers on one-by-one and check the waterfall each time. But it sounds like you probably don't have good access to that, so you could unplug everything in your apartment and then plug them back in one-by-one to see what generates which lines and also which lines are gone when everything's unplugged. If you have lines but nothing plugged in, then you can rule out stuff in your apartment causing it and your options to fix them start narrowing.

One thing that's killing my noise floor right now are christmas lights -- ones on my house as well as neighbors'.

It helps to have an external battery when testing this stuff so you can completely eliminate interference to the transceiver coming through the power lines.

Buy yourself a big bag of ferrites/chokes because once you start hunting RFI and noticing improvements, you'll never stop seeking the interference.

it's fun for me to walk around with a portable AM radio, tuned to an "unused" frequency, and then walk around pointing the antenna at suspected sources of EMI.

The moment I step outside the building, the most intense noise source goes away. But, that thing doesn't have a waterfall, so I can't be sure I'm hearing the same thing I'm seeing on my SDR's waterfall. Seems likely, though!

Motronic posted:

Voltage changes from the utility, voltage sags in your house (i.e., fridge, oven, other high current devices turning on), the equipment on the load side of the switching supply changing loads, pretty much anything like that. I would expect it to be close to your receiver if it's coming through that way.

If you really want to narrow things down run everything radio-related on battery and start turning thing on and off in your house. Or just start will being on battery and killing the main breaker. Then see what you have. Then start putting on ferrite chokes/rearranging cables to get your rig as quiet as possible. Then start turning things back on and see what's spewing what.

I suppose I should augment my portable AM radio by getting the SDR working on a laptop, and then take readings from various locations. And if I did that, I could also do as you suggest and shut off my power at the breaker, and see what happens.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

do you suppose all these noise bands are coming from the same switching power supply? am i just seeing harmonics from some lower fundamental frequency? or is there some other reason why i see noise at multiple, separate frequencies?

YUP! They don't bother generating a clean sine wave for the 60khz or whatever it is chopper circuit, since they have a rectifier and filter after that. Just open palm slam a square wave on the AC input and deal with it in post

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

yes, thanks for asking! heres a screenshot of that happening.

you can see the noise floor come up when i first lay hands on the antenna. then it goes mostly dark when i actually unscrew it out of the magnetic mount. you can see it come back when i screw it back in.

Okay - just making sure they aren’t generated by the radio itself/having the gain up high, etc. Always good to check!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Crusader posted:

just got this on the last iss pass:

I managed to get this with my baofeng held up to my mobile phone doing the decoding. I'm absolutely shocked it worked so well.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

yoloer420 posted:

I managed to get this with my baofeng held up to my mobile phone doing the decoding. I'm absolutely shocked it worked so well.

drat, you really just put a speaker up to a mic, and it worked? i'm also shocked!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would anyone like to look at another screenshot from my waterfall? this one is from the 80m band, someone was sending a signal that I don't recognize.

Is this SSTV? I got the I/Q recording, so I can try to demodulate it, if it indeed is a SSTV signal.

I also see that the person is printing their call sign directly to my waterfall, which is neat. I was looking up how to do this, and I read that some SSTV software will do this automatically.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

drat, you really just put a speaker up to a mic, and it worked? i'm also shocked!

Yeah, that was the whole thing. I went outside at the time the ISS was going overhead, turned up the volume, held my phone next to the speaker and.. yeah.

What surprised me even more, was I tried it without going outside (it was 44c/111f) and got this:

After that I was reading about adding a wire counterpoise to HTs and tried it. It made a small improvement so I coiled the wire around my handheld for easy storage.

Immediately I started picking up signals that I couldn't before, the result is *far* better than the rat tail approach, but I can't figure out why. I've checked the AARL Antenna book, and did some googling, but I can't find anything that would explain it.

Does anyone have any idea why this works well?

Repeaters that are 80KM away are now crystal clear without going outside, where before I couldn't receive them at all.

I'd expect it would just induct a heap of noise into the antenna ground but.. yeah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
previously the only 'ground' the radio had was the few square inches of whatever metal it had, and then then whatever that could capacitively couple to your hand. now you got a nice quarter wave of wire for all that return current to dump into and the transmitter and receivers are both happier

tiger tail type counterpoises are very good, big fan here. dorky but i mean you're already operating a ham radio so

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yes but the question is why specifically coiling it around the HT makes it better, I guess? Some sort of coupling?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Even more so given that it's a coil wound around a speaker. That should be resulting in all sorts of garbage ending up on ground.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Could be stronger coupling, could be that you made a little inductor that added some reactance and got it resonating better. It's really hard to say especially in the context of an HT, which is gonna have <gesticulates vaguely, shrugs> impedance range on the antenna port

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it always comes back to "RF is weird"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a website that shows when the iss will be over your location? I’m down to stand in my yard with my phone smashed to my baofeng

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I use Heavens Above but there’s plenty of others, n2yo.com is used a lot too. Just gotta pop your location in.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heavens-above is pretty good but make sure to uncheck the 'visible passes only' cause that hella filters

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a website that shows when the iss will be over your location? I’m down to stand in my yard with my phone smashed to my baofeng

I use Look4Sat or ISS Detector on Android. They're probably on iOS too.

Hurry though, SSTV broadcasts stop soon!

America
Apr 26, 2017

yoloer420 posted:

I use Look4Sat or ISS Detector on Android. They're probably on iOS too.

Hurry though, SSTV broadcasts stop soon!

This post made me jump on getting an SSTV pic, and I am pretty sure I was recording when they stopped, around 1615UTC. Welp, better than nothing!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought a little Yaesu FT7 a few months back. Made a random wire tuner. Chucked just under 5m of wire in a tree next to my window.
Bam. Instantly i hear myself (in cw) on the Spanish webSDR (my location is the northwest of the netherlands).

The depressing bit is that i don't hear poo poo from my own receiver. The noise floor (white noise with buzzing sounds every 10khz or so) is just so high, that even though i can get a signal out i can't hear stuff.

For a white noise type of QRM, would an X Phase qrm eliminator be any good?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the phasing noise reduction boxes are generally most useful when you have one 'good' antenna (that picks up signals + noise) and one 'crappy' antenna (that just picks up the noise, which you can then phase cancel against the main). I've got one, it's a neat gadget, but I generally don't use it that much.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have no idea if my bit of wire outside picks up enough 'wanted' signals, because of the big amount of noise. An indoor antenna will pick up plenty of noise, that's for sure.

The meter on the FT7 says it's S9 on 80m LSB. I think the FT101 also indicates something in that order of magnitude.

I can always go set up the stuff in the park, but it's much nicer to be able to do it from home.

E: Ordered one. Will be a week at least before it gets here because of the christmas vacation that last forever here.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 2, 2022

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm buying a 2m/70cm antenna to go on my roof. What connector type should I go with? The options are Type N and PL-259. I'm in Australia so I've got a lot of heat, dust, and sometimes rain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
N if you wanna be a boy scout about it, yeah. They seal better. Performance difference isn't really noticeable, they're just much nicer connectors.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thanks, the cost difference is minimal if anything at all. I'll go Type N. Sadly I've just found out all the radio stores in my country seem to be on holiday. I'll order when they reopen.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

UPDATE: i was reading about digital SSTV today, and i saw a picture of a waterfall that looked just like the one I recorded! https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/WinDRM

Apparently, if i want to decode this, I'm supposed to downloaded a sketchy unsigned .exe for EasyPal from this extremely 90s website http://www.g0hwc.com/easypal_setup_help.html

I attempted to replay, demodulatem and decode this in EasyPal. I didn't get an image, but it did tell me the filename is supposed to be "de_W5NOW-18-new-jersey-picture-id622781084.jpg." Cool! But it told me the file was unrecoverable. It saved a 0 byte file to my drive, uselessly.

I wanted to see exactly what data I got, but i found EasyPal to be not-so-easy in this instance. After doing a little more research, I found this thing https://github.com/DazDSP/EasyDRF which appears to be a more modern and less feature-rich implementation.

EasyDRF also thinks the filename was supposed to be "de_W5NOW-18-new-jersey-picture-id622781084.jpg," but this time, it wrote 154 bytes to my drive. Well, here they are:

code:
00000000  02 93 01 40 02 af 01 44  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |...@...D...Q./.?|
00000010  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000020  02 4b 01 43 02 a1 01 42  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |.K.C...B...Q./.?|
00000030  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000040  02 4b 01 43 02 26 01 2c  02 59 01 45 02 3a 01 45  |.K.C.&.,.Y.E.:.E|
00000050  02 c2 01 54 02 ab 01 3f  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |...T...?...Q./.?|
00000060  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000070  02 4b 01 43 02 ab 01 3f  02 41 01 46 02 44 01 42  |.K.C...?.A.F.D.B|
00000080  02 2f 01 3f 02 c2 01 54  02 ad 01 51 02 2c 01 43  |./.?...T...Q.,.C|
00000090  02 4f 01 48 02 b6 01 45  0d 0a                    |.O.H...E..|
0000009a
:shrug:

Well, thanks for reading my digital SSTV story.

ickna
May 19, 2004

UPDATE: i was reading about digital SSTV today, and i saw a picture of a waterfall that looked just like the one I recorded! https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/WinDRM

Apparently, if i want to decode this, I'm supposed to downloaded a sketchy unsigned .exe for EasyPal from this extremely 90s website http://www.g0hwc.com/easypal_setup_help.html

I attempted to replay, demodulatem and decode this in EasyPal. I didn't get an image, but it did tell me the filename is supposed to be "de_W5NOW-18-new-jersey-picture-id622781084.jpg." Cool! But it told me the file was unrecoverable. It saved a 0 byte file to my drive, uselessly.

I wanted to see exactly what data I got, but i found EasyPal to be not-so-easy in this instance. After doing a little more research, I found this thing https://github.com/DazDSP/EasyDRF which appears to be a more modern and less feature-rich implementation.

EasyDRF also thinks the filename was supposed to be "de_W5NOW-18-new-jersey-picture-id622781084.jpg," but this time, it wrote 154 bytes to my drive. Well, here they are:

code:
00000000  02 93 01 40 02 af 01 44  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |...@...D...Q./.?|
00000010  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000020  02 4b 01 43 02 a1 01 42  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |.K.C...B...Q./.?|
00000030  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000040  02 4b 01 43 02 26 01 2c  02 59 01 45 02 3a 01 45  |.K.C.&.,.Y.E.:.E|
00000050  02 c2 01 54 02 ab 01 3f  02 ad 01 51 02 2f 01 3f  |...T...?...Q./.?|
00000060  02 2c 01 43 02 6b 01 4c  02 41 01 46 02 2f 01 3f  |.,.C.k.L.A.F./.?|
00000070  02 4b 01 43 02 ab 01 3f  02 41 01 46 02 44 01 42  |.K.C...?.A.F.D.B|
00000080  02 2f 01 3f 02 c2 01 54  02 ad 01 51 02 2c 01 43  |./.?...T...Q.,.C|
00000090  02 4f 01 48 02 b6 01 45  0d 0a                    |.O.H...E..|
0000009a
:shrug:

Well, thanks for reading my digital SSTV story.

kind of a weird long shot, but the waterfall image looks like it is mirrored, like they transmitted it on LSB.. and the decoder is expecting the upper side band? I'm not sure how you would go about inverting the recording though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ickna posted:

kind of a weird long shot, but the waterfall image looks like it is mirrored, like they transmitted it on LSB.. and the decoder is expecting the upper side band? I'm not sure how you would go about inverting the recording though.

i omited a detail: The orientation of the callsign looked correct in EasyPal's waterfall, after it correctly displayed the filename. Still, i tried replaying the raw I/Q again, and demodulated the signal using the upper-sideband mode (instead of lower-sideband mode, the conventional choice on the 80m band). Didn't work at all! I had it right before, I guess.

this tiny amount of data might be using what the EasyPal author calls "hybrid mode," which just uploads the image to some FTP server, and then uses the WinDRM protocol to encode a link. source: http://www.g0hwc.com/easypal_setup_help.html

quote:

The 2nd type of file to be sent with EasyPal is called Hybrid. This way of sending a file is much quicker but you are not receiving the image via the radio, you are only receiving a short header that tells EasyPal where to go and download the file and display it on your screen, This all goes on within the program. The sending station uploads "FTP" a file to a server then transmits its location and your program grabs it via the internet and displays it. This is nice when the bands are real busy as you have more chance of getting the short header than getting a 3 minute transmission. When receiving a Hybrid image there is no progress bar.

Sadly, the author died in 2015, and so EasyPal's default FTP server is down. Now, people who keep using this app would need to run their own FTP servers. So even if it was "hybrid mode" i would need to know the login to some specific FTP server, and we don't know which one, because the URL isnt included in the transmission (its assumed to be set in the app).

Here's a couple more links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_frequency-division_multiplexing
https://hamsci.org/sites/default/files/publications/2018_HamSCI/20180224_180_HamSCI2018_Engelke_AB4EJ_FT8Image.PDF