Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

This is the cycling equivalent of asking 'why don't you just buy a more sustainable car!' and then showing off your brand new Prius most people could never afford.

99% of the people who commute by bike can't afford much beyond the bicycle shaped objects sold at Walmart.

That's why people can't afford better durable goods.

I used to work in bike shops in the 90s. I watched the people's transportation turn into an elitist bullshit activity. The bike shop I drop in on now and then, the owner literally tells me that bikes that cost less than 1k don't exist. All so a bunch of bougie white guys can get their bouge on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Repeating over and over again that dumping tires across 100 miles of ocean was done "with the best of intentions" isn't going to make it true

I wonder how many years before all the hermit crabs in that area died off in the death traps dumped on them

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

skooma512 posted:

At that level of power a Democrat is a Republican that doesn't use the hard-R.

So, Wepublican? Hmm, we-publican. Somebody call Hillary!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

petit choux posted:

I used to work in bike shops in the 90s. I watched the people's transportation turn into an elitist bullshit activity. The bike shop I drop in on now and then, the owner literally tells me that bikes that cost less than 1k don't exist. All so a bunch of bougie white guys can get their bouge on.

Noticed that myself when I was looking for a bike. Can buy a second hand car cheaper than a new bike.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/hrichardson/status/1476689454731391001
the horseman's horse has bolted

Ruggan posted:

My aunt and cousin live there and are being evacuated. Sucks.
:smith:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

imagine if you will a large terrestrial mammal with no natural predators and no learned fight or flight response, ubiquitous and boundless in number all over the earth in just about every environment.

When I was a small child my mother told me a story about these birds called awks. Hard not to imagine a similar ending for us RN.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ruggan posted:

what animal is this? we should eat it

Well, how about we steal all the eggs and smash the ones we can't so we have the only ones left? Isn't that the moral of Dune?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

it’s ok - they’re safe and while the fire is close (2-3mi away) I don’t think it’s reached their house

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
should have built underground homes...smh...

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Question: what happens to matter dumped inside the active lava flow of a volcano? does its matter change property? Im assuming what we would dump gets released as toxic gases yeah?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Popoto posted:

Question: what happens to matter dumped inside the active lava flow of a volcano? does its matter change property? Im assuming what we would dump gets released as toxic gases yeah?

quote:

If large amounts of waste plastic were placed in an active volcano, let's assume it was all incinerated. Anything that is burned is never completely gone. An explosive eruption could possibly put massive amounts of pollution into the air, along with the ash. Or a lava flow could contain leftover trace amounts of hazardous material (left over from breakdown of plastic compounds) that would then become a permanent part of the rock when the lava cools and hardens.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I finally watched Don't Look Up and I think I'm on the side of it feeling a little boring because it was just a little too real. It was good and competently made and often funny, but I kind of just felt like I was watching reality.

My gf got a crack ping off of it tho and I thought she was pretty well pinged already, so that was fun.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This was all going through Frodo's mind as he entered the hall of fire

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

I know someone that lost a house in houston from hurricane harvey and then moved to boulder and welp

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I finally watched Don't Look Up and I think I'm on the side of it feeling a little boring because it was just a little too real. It was good and competently made and often funny, but I kind of just felt like I was watching reality.

My gf got a crack ping off of it tho and I thought she was pretty well pinged already, so that was fun.

same, it could have been 30 minutes shorter

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yes my time is far too valuable to waste on a movie that is thirty minutes too long

also please ignore my entire life until now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rime posted:

#LivingMyBestLife

jealous. my xc skis are waxed up waiting

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popoto posted:

it turns into lava

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrovgoEKp0
near the end there is an explicit call out of the fires in colorado today as a linkage to climate change as affecting us now
which is more than i expected tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bedpan posted:

used tires can't be just tossed into a landfill like normal garbage because they will gradually make their way to the top and burst out of the ground. we have known this for decades and been trying to come up with a cheap way of disposing of used tires for the same amount of time. the current favorite dumping methods are to put the tires into huge piles and wait for a stray spark to start a tire fire or just throw the tires into an incinerator.

framing dumping tires into the ocean as "well intentioned" is really getting me mad

tires ash is an important ingredient in concrete and burning them powers the factory (or maybe they just use them cause people pay them to use up the waste tires they're drowning in.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

tires ash is an important ingredient in concrete and burning them powers the factory (or maybe they just use them cause people pay them to use up the waste tires they're drowning in.)

i think its that the concrete kilns burn hot enough they can say "it all burnt up, no need to check!" compared to other facilities that don't get as hot and might have to pretend to do something about the tire fumes

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

... the wisdom of the Cement Kiln lobby

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yes my time is far too valuable to waste on a movie that is thirty minutes too long

also please ignore my entire life until now

what the gently caress are you talking about

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

when you burn a tire, it goes away. it’s gone and it disappears. we should burn more of our problems

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
i solve the problem of movies being too long by not watching the 20 mins of credits

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bi crimes posted:

when you burn a tire, it goes away. it’s gone and it disappears. we should burn more of our problems

The Cement Kiln Association has agents every loving where

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

petit choux posted:

The Cement Kiln Association has agents every loving where

*whispers into his shirt collar* petit choux is on to us

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jel Shaker posted:

the rich company paid chiles government compensation for the huge tidal wave hitting their coast but i don’t recall any mention of any Chilean civilians living off the coast being moved to safety ? doesn’t sound realistic imo

they did, they talked about the millions of south american refugees that president trpfm wasnt letting into the country

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Marenghi posted:

Noticed that myself when I was looking for a bike. Can buy a second hand car cheaper than a new bike.

Pay a visit to your friendly local bike coop. Bicycles are one of the few machines available to consumers where nearly every part can be replaced. I am riding a bike as old as me and there's no reason I couldn't ride it until i die. Get an old quality steel frame mountain bike for a few hundo and keep it in good running order forever.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

bi crimes posted:

I like the way you think :hai:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why don't we just burn the co2 in the atmosphere

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

i solve the problem of movies being too long by not watching the 20 mins of credits

Wow, that is very disrespectful to the people that honed their craft to bring you that movie!!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The conversion of the American west from a pseudo desert to a real desert is going to suck

LionYeti has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Dec 31, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
don’t look up was good. I liked the dinner scene. I think a lot of people will think it was sad, but that is a more meaningful and comforting ending than any of us will experience by a significant margin. climate change will mostly leave people behind, desperate and alone and scared. a meteor is so communal, like a snow day. almost calming

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

LionYeti posted:

The conversion of the west from a pseudo desert to a real desert is going to suck

china and africa arent exactly stopping desertification

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Relin posted:

isn't china fighting it somewhat successfully, i remember seeing a video (propaganda, tbf) of them regreening

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

what the gently caress

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Anyone remember that whole subreddit(?) of freaks who watch TV and movies at 1.5x speed to "save time"?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Pay a visit to your friendly local bike coop. Bicycles are one of the few machines available to consumers where nearly every part can be replaced. I am riding a bike as old as me and there's no reason I couldn't ride it until i die. Get an old quality steel frame mountain bike for a few hundo and keep it in good running order forever.

Heheh, while I agree with you, the industry is perpetually searching for the one weird trick that will make people cough up hundreds or thousands so they can have glamorous, high tech bikes. And part of that is teaching them to have utter disdain for anything that's not brand new and expensive. You can actually get a decent one speed at a wal mart or whatever that will last a lifetime nowadays (except maybe the hub), I was pleased to discover that lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Relin posted:

Sorry that’s what being up in the middle of the night with climate grief does, I meant the American west.