Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dolphin posted:

i know you all want the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022 and I'm with you too

just be ready to be infuriated when they call it a rebuke of the left. which they will.

yeah they will but even if they don't get destroyed (they're going to get destroyed) then they will say that it proves that they don't need the left and that moving towards the center is what wins elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's possible for the government to shoulder the burden of all those obligations, like they did through TARP.

Not that they will do it, but it's possible.

the vast, vast majority of student debt is to the federal government, something like 90%

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah they will but even if they don't get destroyed (they're going to get destroyed) then they will say that it proves that they don't need the left and that moving towards the center is what wins elections

they will do the typical thing where they find some leftist that ran in a blood red rural district because the dem primary was uncontested and lost like 65-35 and compare that to a centrist ghoul who squeaked out a 51-49 win in a safe blue district and say that this proves leftism is a losing strategy and they need to go all in on moderates who promise to murder the poor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

the vast, vast majority of student debt is to the federal government, something like 90%

what about all the Navient jobs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

the democrats are a conservative party. they like the status quo and so their platform is that they will preserve the status quo. certain groups of democratic party voters and supporters, those for whom the status quo is working, like this as a platform and a party identity, and so they vote and donate. occasionally somebody comes along and tries to rally the party around a progressive message that the status quo is actually not fine, but the problem with that is that the most influential blocs within the democratic party think the status quo actually is fine and so they don't want it to change.

unfortunately for the democrats, for most of the country the status quo is not fine! it sucks poo poo!! and it should change!!!

unfortunately for the country, the world, and the human race, the only organized mass political force in the United States that says the status quo should change is the Republican Party, which likes to call itself "conservative" but is in fact reactionary/fascist depending on which republican you're talking about, because they want to drag society back to a prior state whether real or idealized, which means that anti-status-quo voters are left with the choice to either not vote or vote for the party that wants to make the status quo worse, because the supposed good guys are the ones telling people who are living hand to mouth that the status quo is just fine actually and nothing will fundamentally change and nor should it.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

Weird how they're still charging interest out the rear end for nondischargeable loans like that, I wodner why that is

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Weird how they're still charging interest out the rear end for nondischargeable loans like that, I wodner why that is

can't allow the moral hazard of kids getting an education and not having to pay out the rear end for it!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dolphin posted:

i know you all want the democrat party to be destroyed in 2022 and I'm with you too

just be ready to be infuriated when they call it a rebuke of the left. which they will.

they also do that when they win

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

they will do the typical thing where they find some leftist that ran in a blood red rural district because the dem primary was uncontested and lost like 65-35 and compare that to a centrist ghoul who squeaked out a 51-49 win in a safe blue district and say that this proves leftism is a losing strategy and they need to go all in on moderates who promise to murder the poor

It's great that no one is even talking about standing for something or going into politics because you want to move the country ahead: The only winning move is apparently constantly looking at polling numbers and never advocating for anything that isn't backed by polling numbers. Maybe people would be more willing to vote for a party that has some actual values and convictions? And maybe advocating and explaining good policies would move polling numbers in their favor?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

*guaranteed by, not owed to. they have been securitized in the same manner as mortgages and car loans.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Gotta make sure poor or working class people know their place

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

It's great that no one is even talking about standing for something or going into politics because you want to move the country ahead: The only winning move is apparently constantly looking at polling numbers and never advocating for anything that isn't backed by polling numbers. Maybe people would be more willing to vote for a party that has some actual values and convictions? And maybe advocating and explaining good policies would move polling numbers in their favor?

They don't even do that when the poll numbers show inconvenient things, like support for socialized healthcare.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
this is my new favorite graph so I'm gonna put it here too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Biden still has 3 years to work with Republicans, guys.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Biden still has 3 years to work with Republicans, guys.
Assuming they don't impeach and convict

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I know we talked about this with the Mild Verdun thing last week, but I don’t see how this suits them either. Say NYT manufactures consent and they really do stop reporting cases - Covid is everywhere, people are being hospitalized and dying everywhere, so not reporting figures can’t prevent people from becoming aware of the crisis.

Where I get stuck in this train of thought is if Biden’s inaction is conscious and deliberate policy, in which case a “coverup” - knowingly cooking the books, propagandizing, suppressing news - would be energetically pursued and might achieve something roughly in line with their aims, OR if they really are floundering here, in which case you’d think that they’d be as unable to commit to the effort to meaningfully conceal how bad things are as they have been to committing to anything that would make things better.

Biden’s inaction initially went from just damaging to his administration to damaging to the Democrat brand, which the system as a whole could of course withstand. Even the Democrats getting blown out of the water in 2022 and 2024 would not have posed a long term threat to the stability of the two party system, norms, all of that lib poo poo. It almost certainly wouldn’t have been the end of the Dems, just a regular and periodic electoral setback. The longer this crisis goes on, and the worse it gets, the closer the Dems must be edging toward the fate of the Whigs though, right? At a certain point crises start causing real damage to institutions.

But I think we saw the damage inaction is causing escalate again last week when Biden’s comments amounted to the open abdication of responsibility. I mean, I suppose the damage to the Federal system, Executive and so on is mostly philosophical at this point, but that’s still harm spread beyond Biden and the Democratic Party to other institutions. It’s possible now that inaction is making those unstable as well. How much action can the President avoid taking before the legitimacy of the Presidency is damaged? How much inaction by the Federal government before the Federal system starts to come under question or erode?

The longer this crisis goes on and the worse it gets, the damage it does will at some point increase from inconvenient to the Biden Administration, Democratic Party, American Empire, Liberal Institutions, Capitalism and so on to damaging, to an existential threat.

Now, to bring it back around, and maybe I have to read up more on Imperial Decline and Collapse, I don’t understand why this is convenient for them, even in the short term. The cost of inaction already must outstrip whatever actions it would have taken to prevent this level of crisis. The cost in dollars of a Zero-Covid strategy for the United States could not possibly have exceeded the lost productivity of nearly a million workers, so even by the logic of Capitalism, it just doesn’t make sense.

I’m at a loss here, so I’m thumbing through my books on the terminal crises of Spain after Phillip II, Austria-Hungary from 1914-18 and the Late Ming. The problem with all of the previous examples of decline, crisis and collapse is that none of them seem to have lost the Mandate of Heaven because they decided it was too much work to keep it and shrugged their way into their terminal crises. Austria-Hungary and the Russian Empire were declining before the Great War, but came to the point of collapse because they committed too much to the crisis, rather than not enough. If they had acted passively, Austria-Hungary would not have destroyed its entire peacetime Army trying to fight simultaneously in both Serbia and Galicia in the opening phases, and the Russians would not have ran headlong into Tannenberg. If they had done nothing in the crisis of 1914, it’s very possible both would still be around today, or at least their slow declines would not have turned to rapid collapse. A generation later, the final collapse of the Wehrmacht in the West was because they committed to one last throw of the dice at the Bulge, and in the East they bled themselves dry in Hungary in much the same way.

I don’t know what to think of an Empire bleeding itself dry by committing to inaction. Rather than reach exceeding grasp, it seems like not reaching at all is what’s causing catastrophe here, and I can’t think of why they keep doubling down on that even as it pushes them closer to the brink.

Truth from covidthread

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

lmbobo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

lol

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/MadamClinton/status/1476402432372576261

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sour CSPAM posters trying to belittle a Sleepy Joe admin success story.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/supasokahh/status/1476643769558749187?s=20

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bi crimes posted:

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

insha'Allah

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

they don’t call them red states for their sterling commitment to democracy

Got news for you if you think Massachusetts or Cali are committed to it either.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

I think you guys have way too much faith in the American electoral system, the Democrats won’t be allowed to collapse. At very least, they need to be kept around like those nominal big tent opposition parties in Latin American dictatorships.

Even if they get crushed in 2022, the system is designed to be self correcting to a certain extent and you be told to vote blue no matter who until the actual Republic collapses on itself.

How is it self correcting? Like hey you could swing one party to the other since the 1900s because even with the Great Depression things fundamentally were changing for the better for sixty-seventy percent of the population. In the 80s that changed and the system has become utterly unable to deliver even small material changes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ex post facho posted:

Truth from covidthread

the real calculus here is that the virus is mostly killing unproductive people anyway. even a middle aged small business tyrant or talk radio dj are just parasites to the system in the grand scheme of things. I think capitalists fear going underwater from not servicing their debts more than losing a work force.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it's time you start building your own $200 million gluten-free snack/tortilla company

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1476622516332515328

lol

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dale Earnhardt Sr only has to smash into the wall once when he didn't turn left

Why the gently caress this loopy old crone trying to do it again?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/mygfreal/status/1476369298184572930

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inferring that they haven't yet made it to the white house ain't making them look any better you dumb loving ghoul

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lmao as if the US left is even politically alive at this point, they've either been driven out of US politics or decided to throw their lot in
with the centrist / DNC Establishment.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

millionaires should help democracy

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Smythe posted:

i dont think twitter, a private website, has to unban anybody? ?? lawyer goons?? thoughts?? could jeffrey be legally compelled to unban someone who he banned for cause?

How much do they have to spend on lawyers?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Prof. Lurker posted:

RE: what type of republicans will get into office next year.

https://twitter.com/JoshMandelOhio/status/1475617544643952651

Getting a "This Car Secured by God, Guns and Bitcoin" bumper sticker RN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*can't lift a bb gun*