Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

edogawa rando posted:

No, but when that involves something that either has racist connotations, or often veers headfirst into anti-asian hate, it is incredibly frustrating to then be told "no you're wrong for getting offended at something that is often used for some lovely racist 'ror asians' bullshit."
Speaking as an Asian myself: do you think people are being racist when they make fun of anime? Is that what you're saying here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

do you really think goku is satisfied with destroying one single world? he has endangered the entire dragon ball multiverse composed of 12 universes.

it's okay he wished them back to life eventually

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking as an Asian myself: do you think people are being racist when they make fun of anime? Is that what you're saying here?

I think it's probably less making fun of anime, but more that the speed people will oftentimes race in to start slinging the usual remarks can be dodgy looking.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fun hater posted:

youre tilting at windmills

gokus morality is insane as someone on the periphery of knowing things about dragon ball. my boyfriend is a huge fan and the poo poo he tells me is amazing

from goku's point of view your morality is insane

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

No, it's this:

Yardbomb posted:

I think it's probably less making fun of anime, but more that the speed people will oftentimes race in to start slinging the usual remarks can be dodgy looking.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

from goku's point of view your morality is insane

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goku is just a nice guy who likes to have fun and sound like a ninja turtle.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

typing racist fake Chinese poo poo in response to "anime bad, " jokes is the funniest possible way to accuse people of being racist

fun hater
May 24, 2009

accused of possibly sounding dodgy. sentenced to a million posts

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

typing racist fake Chinese poo poo in response to "anime bad, " jokes is the funniest possible way to accuse people of being racist

Ah, that's what was feeling off there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

edogawa rando posted:

And how is this attitude exclusive to the media produced for us yellows?

gently caress off with your orientalist poo poo.

You know what, I'm sorry. That was a grotesque oversimplification born out of a frustration with other facets of orientalism. It was out of line and wrong.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vegeta is from a society where they grow their babies in tubes and they put those babies into pods and send them out into space to conquer new worlds. the concept of actually being there and raising his child is alien to vegeta

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 31, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

Hypocrisy and an correct criticism aren't mutually exclusive.

In this case it was clearly mocking racists even if it another can still get annoying hearing such nonsense.

Like i said it happens. no one has an "perfectly inoffensiveness" about them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Thank god all the posts weren't about someone dying

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its really weird to start doing that when absolutely no one was even remotely in the vicinity of saying anything close to that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vegeta is at least there for his son. Goku is too busy training or dying (then training) to raise him.

Piccolo is the best dad of all the dads in that show.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vegeta is from a society where they grow their babies in tubes and they put those babies into pods and send them out into space to conquer new worlds. the concept of actually being there and raising his child is alien to vegeta

by my earth standards, vegeta doesnt care about his kids but he does love his wife very much which is more than i can say for the godless goku

goku is a scoundrel, and i condemn him

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Plus he never really got such an opportunity to have anyone be a parent to him, since his dad got killed as a child, and he ended up in indentured servitude to Frieza.

Vegeta learning to be the best dad in the universe is a major part of his character arc in Super.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
DBZA has fully replaced canon in my mind so Prince "MY BABY BOOOOOY!" Vegeta definitely loves his son.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

fun hater posted:

its really weird to start doing that when absolutely no one was even remotely in the vicinity of saying anything close to that
Fair..You don't have to be a crass, causal language butcher to say something stupid on this.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goku loves his sons very much and while he doesnt understand why gohan would want to read books and go to college and be a scholar he fully supports it. goku is a good dad

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goku loves his sons very much and while he doesnt understand why gohan would want to read books and go to college and be a scholar he fully supports it. goku is a good dad

other than choosing to stay dead and leave his kids with his widow, sure.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

if goku supposed loves his kids so much why does he spend so much time being dead in a world where it's trivial for him to stop being dead

edit: that's what i get for zoning out for a full minute before hitting post

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

lunar detritus posted:

They do say you should rest in peace, so you have to cut him some slack.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lunar detritus posted:

goku chose to stay dead because he believed his presence was endangering earth and his friends not because he didnt want to raise his kids or be with his wife.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Acerbatus posted:

Anyways my crackpot theory is that growing up on social media has made a lot of young people lose their goddamn minds which is why you get arguments over if shipping lumine and childe is a moral failing or whatever.

I suspect part of it is also isolation making people grow more attached to fictional characters and hating seeing them portrayed wrong, and I mean I kinda get it. I don't like that either! But setting out to destroy it via harassment instead of idk, writing a negative review is obviously hosed.

lovely cyberpunk future where instead of direct corporate affiliations it's all gang wars over who writes the Mandalorian the wrong kind of gay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goku chose to stay dead because he believed his presence was endangering earth and his friends not because he didnt want to raise his kids or be with his wife.

That is true, he did have a decent justification to stay dead after the Cell saga. Goku suffers from a bit of Tony Stark syndrome, where it turns out either him or people close to him are to blame for the new villain/antagonist.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Shadowrun predicted pandemics, aggressive pushes to further genocide indigenous people, and endless wars for corporate profits, but instead of everyone giving birth to elves and orcs we get mad about whether or not it's okay to want to kiss Hannibal Lecter.

e- CJ the X has posted a new video about Rick and Morty and creating things btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgyWvklovg

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shadowrun predicted pandemics and endless wars for corporate profits, but instead of everyone giving birth to elves and orcs we get mad about whether or not it's okay to want to kiss Hannibal Lecter.

While painting someone who finds the fighting cringe as being part of the enemy when they're monster loving trash.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think it was really immature of him to die

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Goku is bad. Discuss

Correct. There are no good Saiyans in Universe 7. The only good ones are fractal percentage Saiyan or from Universe 6.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the universe 6 saiyans pwn

fun hater posted:

i think it was really immature of him to die

it was immature of cell to kill himself and goku

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

anime is good, and theres def some weird undertones some people do where they "jokingly" imply all japanese people are creeps or w/e for some low rent 4 am rear end anime

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Home alone 3 was also one of Scarlett Johansson 's first roles

and her acting skills have remained the same

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Did Detective Conan ever loving end? Has he gone through puberty again at this point?

Ash Ketchum has been 10 years for 30 years now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

At least he won a tournament finally, puberty is on the horizon for him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dias posted:

At least he won a tournament finally, puberty is on the horizon for him

Ash won the Orange League like 20 years ago. Okay yeah it was a weird filler league not mentioned in any games, and Gary did immediately smoke his rear end after he was crowned champion, but he did win dammit. :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Ash won the Orange League like 20 years ago. Okay yeah it was a weird filler league not mentioned in any games, and Gary did immediately smoke his rear end after he was crowned champion, but he did win dammit. :colbert:

Winning the Orange League is like winning one of those consolation NCAA bowl games or the NIT tournament or whatever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Booky posted:

anime is good, and theres def some weird undertones some people do where they "jokingly" imply all japanese people are creeps or w/e for some low rent 4 am rear end anime

Japanese entertainment creators face minor consequences like this, while American entertainment creators face cancel culture minor consequences like this and British people keep getting paid despite their views being exposed and causing most of the child stars that played the stars in the movies to denounce her face consequences like this

nine-gear crow posted:

Simpsons did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

those movies are among the highest grossing films in japan for a few years now so i suspect he's never going to grow up

Both Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were beat in the Japanese box office by Detective Conan films releasing around the same time. The only movies that ever seem to beat Conan are literal cultural phenomenons.