Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The right price is being outside the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

As someone who resigned to hike a bunch and gently caress about in Europe for a year absolutely do it and even better getting paid!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I could get a company to pay to get me into Europe I'd do it in an instant and spent my time over there trying to naturalize. I have no illusions that european countries are perfect, but as someone who would be dead in months without insurance I've developed a special kind of hate for the US. And it is unbelievably hard to pick up and move to a new country.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

jaegerx posted:

Or go back to school. I heard Germany is just giving Americans free education there.

tell me more.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

wargames posted:

tell me more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Every time I ask a European company to match my salary they laugh at me :sigh:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://bfy.tw/SHKV

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I’d bounce to Europe, Canada, etc. even if it meant less pay. The only thing holding me back is the lack of college degree.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I did this right.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It appears my citizenship is valuable to you all, i've got england/irish(for the eu) and american resident alien.

Lets get the offers for marriage while same-sex citizenship is still allowed in america.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

It appears my citizenship is valuable to you all, i've got england/irish(for the eu) and american resident alien.

Lets get the offers for marriage while same-sex citizenship is still allowed in america.

America is where we're all trying to escape from. What are you trying to pull?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think my Irish descent is just one generation too far to get it. I guess my dad could and he could pass it to me? I’m not sure how it all works

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone moved to another country for an IT gig? If so, how did it go?

My new job may open some doors for me in a year or so and allow for new opportunities in Europe (I'm American). I'm currently living the bachelor life, and not getting any younger, so the idea of living/working abroad for a year or two is exciting. A likely landing spot would be Germany. Figure sell everything, head over there with a suitcase and laptop, and see a bit more of the world on the company dime.

I would suggest to go for it, just have your visa type verified before moving, certain working visa have travel restrictions.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

My new job may open some doors for me in a year or so and allow for new opportunities in Europe (I'm American). I'm currently living the bachelor life, and not getting any younger, so the idea of living/working abroad for a year or two is exciting. A likely landing spot would be Germany. Figure sell everything, head over there with a suitcase and laptop, and see a bit more of the world on the company dime.

I've moved country twice, once as a company transfer and once to start a new job. I would highly recommend it, especially if you loathe your home country. I was close to moving countries a 3rd time but Covid kind of threw a wrench in those plans.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KillHour posted:

European compensation is lagging behind the US, but the cost of living is a lot lower as well. Best bet would be to work from Europe for a US company that has the same compensation globally. There's a bit more information on European tech compensation here: https://blog.pragmaticengineer.com/software-engineering-salaries-in-the-netherlands-and-europe/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Your poison work culture is making the careers page overcrowded.

I think you misunderstand me. I do not care what websites people go to at work. But if you were, say, a goon talking about how you were moonlighting against company policy, and getting the forums in the news and having your boss read your posts and think "huh, that sounds like my employee," that would be bad for you.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Germany can be difficult if you run up against a problem person on the company's German worker's council. When the UK was still part of the EU (so no visas needed) I had a friend who was fluent in German do an internal transfer to an office in Germany. One 'Mr Awkward' on the German worker's council delayed it by months and raised continual objections as that person just doesn't like foreigners. Other friends who went to Holland and Denmark and didn't speak the languages had no issues at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah just do it, the worst that can happen is you don't like it and come back

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

guppy posted:

I think you misunderstand me. I do not care what websites people go to at work. But if you were, say, a goon talking about how you were moonlighting against company policy, and getting the forums in the news and having your boss read your posts and think "huh, that sounds like my employee," that would be bad for you.

That's a good point, I was making a joke about the somewhat distasteful history the website has, such as telling women with a potentially unhealthy grieving process that their poison womb is making heaven overcrowded.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't really think the Palo Wall of Heroes or whatever will drive a bunch of traffic to SA

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

xzzy posted:

If I could get a company to pay to get me into Europe I'd do it in an instant and spent my time over there trying to naturalize. I have no illusions that european countries are perfect, but as someone who would be dead in months without insurance I've developed a special kind of hate for the US. And it is unbelievably hard to pick up and move to a new country.

I wouldn't say it's unbelievably hard, but it depends on situation and how tied you are to one place. I've picked up sticks 15 years into my career and moved from Stockholm to SF via 6 months in Mexico City (thanks amazon!). This was in the end a net positive for me, even if it meant starting over and having my immediate family 9 timezones away. It's very doable to move intercontinental later in life, even if you have a family (hell, my dad moved our family of 5 from US to Sweden when I was like 10)

jaegerx posted:

Technically yes. European work visas are tough.

I've had some experiences on the other side of this, sponsoring ex-EU nationals into Sweden. It's not actually too hard for the company to do provided they want to, and the majors in Stockholm (Spotify, Klarna) have done this a lot.

KillHour posted:

One doesn't move to Europe for sky-high salaries, one does it for the glorious social services[*], free[*] education and right to roam[*] (not to mention the abundance of stick shift wagons). In the end it's what's important to you - if making figgies to pay for a bay area house or fund a sports car habit is what you need in life, go for it. If you want a good social safety net or want to start a family without hellacious childcare costs, lovely curriculums that ignore evolution and the prospect of a solid year of parental leave, maybe consider certain european countries?

[*]Terms and conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

luminalflux posted:

I wouldn't say it's unbelievably hard, but it depends on situation and how tied you are to one place. I've picked up sticks 15 years into my career and moved from Stockholm to SF via 6 months in Mexico City (thanks amazon!). This was in the end a net positive for me, even if it meant starting over and having my immediate family 9 timezones away. It's very doable to move intercontinental later in life, even if you have a family (hell, my dad moved our family of 5 from US to Sweden when I was like 10)

I've had some experiences on the other side of this, sponsoring ex-EU nationals into Sweden. It's not actually too hard for the company to do provided they want to, and the majors in Stockholm (Spotify, Klarna) have done this a lot.

One doesn't move to Europe for sky-high salaries, one does it for the glorious social services[*], free[*] education and right to roam[*] (not to mention the abundance of stick shift wagons). In the end it's what's important to you - if making figgies to pay for a bay area house or fund a sports car habit is what you need in life, go for it. If you want a good social safety net or want to start a family without hellacious childcare costs, lovely curriculums that ignore evolution and the prospect of a solid year of parental leave, maybe consider certain european countries?

[*]Terms and conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited.

Lol @ the idea of wanting to have kids.

I've never been able to afford intercontinental travel so I can't imagine what it would be like to live in another country, how viable is buying a couple hectares (that's the metric unit used for land measurement right?) out in the woods with internet coverage and the ability to tell the rest of the world to gently caress off when you don't want to deal with it?

I'm also not sure how to say this part without risking a huge derail, but my understanding is that many European countries also have more of a cultural trust of authority than the US so I'd need to find someplace that's an exception because that is anathema. And please don't say "x government/police is less corrupt than the US" because A) that misses the point and B) that is going to start a huge derail and I've already got Internet Explorer on my probation collection book.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're a rural PNW libertarian type, you'll probably hate Europe.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

jaegerx posted:

You can buy Luxembourg citizenship however but you have to give up American.

Has anyone here given up their American status? I am interested because the US makes you file taxes with them even if you don't live there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying not to make a political derail dammit. I just have a deep-seated trauma-inspired distrust of authority that I have no desire to change because I have not seen evidence that there is anywhere in the world that you should trust authority. I'm totally fine with the idea of my taxes going to a social safety net rather than Lockheed Martin and Raytheon though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want to live in the woods and not be bothered then Europe probably isn't the place for it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This might come as a surprise to you, but people can have different goals for what they want to do in life than you do. I'm currently struggling with the prospect of wanting to start a family, but also with career goals, the fact that childcare is expensive in the bay area and my partner's career path that might tie her to California. Not to mention the impending climate crisis and the current pandemic. There's no need to go all /r/childfree just because you don't want

quote:

I've never been able to afford intercontinental travel so I can't imagine what it would be like to live in another country, how viable is buying a couple hectares (that's the metric unit used for land measurement right?) out in the woods with internet coverage and the ability to tell the rest of the world to gently caress off when you don't want to deal with it?

Nordics have a ton of land but also, everyone else is wanting to do this right now since remote work is more of a thing. Also (at least around Stockholm and other big cities in sweden) a lot of former summer cabin areas are being convereted into year round living neighborhoods.

quote:

I'm also not sure how to say this part without risking a huge derail, but my understanding is that many European countries also have more of a cultural trust of authority than the US so I'd need to find someplace that's an exception because that is anathema. And please don't say "x government/police is less corrupt than the US" because A) that misses the point and B) that is going to start a huge derail and I've already got Internet Explorer on my probation collection book.

i have no idea what you're going for here

edit: Just move to Wyoming or Idaho if you want to be an antigovernmental separatist living in the middle of nowhere

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 31, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone here given up their American status? I am interested because the US makes you file taxes with them even if you don't live there.

I did not relinquish my us citizenship since I wanted easy return to the states. Since I lived in Sweden, which a) has a tax treaty with US b) has a higher tax rate than the US, in practice this meant that I didn't pay any taxes to the US and just had to file returns.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten, just move to Alaska you’ll fit right in with the communities that generated Sarah Palin and her ilk.

i say this with love, but if you didn’t want a derail you shouldn’t have said anything

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah I kind of figured that would be an issue if for no other reason than having roughly double the population density on average. I'm hoping I can achieve that goal within a couple years here in Colorado. I've found that higher population, higher noise areas cause a higher baseline anxiety and irritability, likely due to the autism sensory processing issues. I moved out to a small town of less than 10,000 after living in cities of 80-150k people my whole life and my mental health instantly improved.

Fake Edit:

luminalflux posted:

This might come as a surprise to you, but people can have different goals for what they want to do in life than you do. I'm currently struggling with the prospect of wanting to start a family, but also with career goals, the fact that childcare is expensive in the bay area and my partner's career path that might tie her to California. Not to mention the impending climate crisis and the current pandemic. There's no need to go all /r/childfree just because you don't want

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. I have no problem with kids, I liked helping take care of my nephews and nieces when I was married, I'd be open to having kids / marrying someone with kids down the line, but the idea of having that level of responsibility is also terrifying. I would hope anyone with kids can understand how intimidating it is given that they had nine months to grapple with it and I'd question the suitability of a parent that doesn't have at least some fear of loving up, that's just healthy. Although when discussing it with my therapist he said that in that field they don't talk about "good" parents, they talk about "good enough" parents, which is an interesting way to look at it.

E: The idea that if you don't trust authority you're by default a right-libertarian is kind of illustrative of a major issue better than I could put it in words so there's that at least :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 31, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are dead cities in southern Italy where you can get some land and be able to not see a living soul for the rest of your life if you want. No potable water, electricity or internet too if you want that paleo life.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mastercard is having a very bad day today. Nothing that’s going to stop existing cards from working but all sorts of backend stuff broken right now

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

There are dead cities in southern Italy where you can get some land and be able to not see a living soul for the rest of your life if you want. No potable water, electricity or internet too if you want that paleo life.

NGL that sounds cool to visit in a spooky way, like the zone of alienation except without the health risks (barring melanoma from the sun).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: The idea that if you don't trust authority you're by default a right-libertarian is kind of illustrative of a major issue better than I could put it in words so there's that at least :shrug:

Someone will always have authority over you. Nobody is going to just let you be 'free' to do whatever you want. Libertarians specifically don't want that authority to be with the government. Europe is much more government-authority focused and the US is much more corporation-authority focused. If you don't want the government to have lots of authority over you, Europe is not the place to live.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i survived three days of holiday oncall without an incident, hallelujah

and an extra $1800 in my pocket for the trouble too :toot:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

i survived three days of holiday oncall without an incident, hallelujah

and an extra $1800 in my pocket for the trouble too :toot:

Where the hell do you work that you make $600/day for oncall?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KillHour posted:

Where the hell do you work that you make $600/day for oncall?

It was just for the holidays - they were asking for volunteers and hit the right number to make everyone and their mother jump at the opportunity. And we're in code freeze too!

normally it's "just" a vacation day for being oncall for a week + time and a half in vacation for responding to incidents after hours.

honestly even on non-holidays it's a pretty generous comp for being oncall. below market pay tho, which happily will no longer be my concern in three weeks or thereabouts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

Someone will always have authority over you. Nobody is going to just let you be 'free' to do whatever you want. Libertarians specifically don't want that authority to be with the government. Europe is much more government-authority focused and the US is much more corporation-authority focused. If you don't want the government to have lots of authority over you, Europe is not the place to live.

I wrote a long sarcastic paragraph with the point of "No poo poo, how do you think that's an observation more insightful than 'the sky is blue'" but deleted it. You have a "Only trust your fists" gang tag and you're having trouble with the idea of not trusting authority regardless of having to live with it. Are you drunk? Am I just communicating extremely badly?

Is it the "tell the world to gently caress off" thing that I said? That's not a doomsday prepper bury IEDs on the property with camouflaged spike strips on the driveway government out thing, that's a "I need somewhere that I can go to be alone without seeing or hearing any sign of other humans sometimes" thing.

The Iron Rose posted:

It was just for the holidays - they were asking for volunteers and hit the right number to make everyone and their mother jump at the opportunity. And we're in code freeze too!

normally it's "just" a vacation day for being oncall for a week + time and a half in vacation for responding to incidents after hours.

honestly even on non-holidays it's a pretty generous comp for being oncall. below market pay tho, which happily will no longer be my concern in three weeks or thereabouts.

Is this a Canada thing or a labor market thing? I'm pretty sure the holiday on-call pay at my job is "You get to keep being overworked and underpaid the same amount as always." I assume that you don't have the lovely overtime exempt thing up there but I'd expect just about any company to choose an ultimatum like that over paying thousands of dollars extra for all the on-call staff unless there's a union involved.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wrote a long sarcastic paragraph with the point of "No poo poo, how do you think that's an observation more insightful than 'the sky is blue'" but deleted it. You have a "Only trust your fists" gang tag and you're having trouble with the idea of not trusting authority regardless of having to live with it. Are you drunk? Am I just communicating extremely badly?

Is it the "tell the world to gently caress off" thing that I said? That's not a doomsday prepper bury IEDs on the property with camouflaged spike strips on the driveway government out thing, that's a "I need somewhere that I can go to be alone without seeing or hearing any sign of other humans sometimes" thing.

I don't think you're doing as good a job communicating as you might hope, and it seems like you're responding far more aggressively to this misunderstanding than is warranted. As someone said upthread, if you want isolation, there are plenty of places in the western US where you can isolate yourself as much as you desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's definitely possible that I'm communicating badly, that's a problem I frequently have where my train of thought skips steps so nobody understands it except me. And I have been on edge since yesterday due to the massive fire in Colorado smack-dab between several sizable cities where I have loved ones and trying to help make sure people I know up here have what they need to handle the rolling blackouts that are happening as a consequence of that fire while also dealing with temperatures down in the single digits F when people have electric heat. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as aggressive, I'm genuinely confused and looking back at it I guess my stress with those circumstances combined with my confusion and irritation at the implications that I'm some chud are causing some aggression to come through. So I apologize for that.

I would love to visit a pretty big chunk of Europe, and IDK, maybe there is somewhere that I would like living there, I just genuinely don't have any experience beyond what I've read on the internet with the cultures of other countries and that's frequently other people's perceptions of their own cultures which heavily influence their perspective so I don't know how similarly I would see it. So at this point it's more the devil I know vs the devil I don't.