Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you are going to accuse me of killing people on the internet it's probably a good idea to not be selling for money a game that claims that masks only reduce your chance of getting covid by 10% and only reduce the spread by 30%

I accused you of what now?

That's quite an accusation. Where did I accuse you of "killing people on the internet"?

edit: if you're referring to something coldrice might have said, I think asking me to answer for that is dumb as gently caress. Secondly, you're wrong because nothing coldrice has put on the internet is selling for money. The tool they created accepts donations and a donation of $0 is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

Do you really, honestly, believe that people come to SA because they prefer to?

Yes

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HiroProtagonist posted:

Do you really, honestly, believe that people come to SA because they prefer to

Yes, obviously.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It would be very cool to include the rest of that statement for context if you were interested in actually responding to it, but it's obvious you aren't.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

In non-posting wars yelling at each other actual news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-dec-30-2021-testing-guidelines-cases-1.6300425

Ontario's new testing guidelines are basically "lol".

PCR tests only allowed for workers or residents in congregate living settings or hospitals. Rapids being preserved for high risk settings as much as possible, no asymptomatic testing. If you have any symptoms assume you have it and isolate for five days if vaccinated and ten if not.

Basically all numbers our of Ontario are going to be meaningless from now on lol

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you are going to accuse me of killing people on the internet it's probably a good idea to not be selling for money a game that claims that masks only reduce your chance of getting covid by 10% and only reduce the spread by 30%

I'm going to accuse you of being complicit when you continue to spend months and months trolling and trying to prevent "panic" when covid has only gotten worse not better. I'm calling your integrity, and the integrity of people who allow you to be able to express your "point of view," into question.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coldrice posted:

I'm going to accuse you of being complicit when you continue to spend months and months trolling and trying to prevent "panic" when covid has only gotten worse not better. I'm calling your integrity, and the integrity of people who allow you to be able to express your "point of view," into question.

I'm not even accepting money for my claims. You are asking for "donations" to tell people masks don't work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HiroProtagonist posted:

It would be very cool to include the rest of that statement for context if you were interested in actually responding to it, but it's obvious you aren't.

Ok.

Yes, I honestly believe that people come to SA because they want to, and because they have community where their biases can be confirmed, rather than because SA is somehow a more authoritative and/or comprehensive source of information than anywhere else.

That seems enormously obvious to me.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not even accepting money for my claims. You are asking for "donations" to tell people masks don't work.

Lol, so straw manning and ad hominem. Go gently caress yourself

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How are u posted:

But people shouldn't panic and they shouldn't overreact. They should get vaccinated, use masks, and then be as cautious as they feel they should be with regards to personal risk tolerance.

Panic and overreaction get you that poor poster in the cspam thread who had a panic attack over the fact that they ate a frozen bon-bon.

I agree, i'm glad to read OwlOfCreamCheeses laid back and a bit more relaxed takes. If that would not happen here, it would just continuously spiral into panic echo chambers.

Judakel posted:

There are quite a few users, generally those who downplay the seriousness of omicron, who behave as if it is such if you dare say it is very serious.

There's no downplaying going around here. All these people have done is repeatedly point out that the relationship between infection and severe disease is not remotely as linked as it was in the delta surge.

Personally, I assume that Omicron will spread quite severely, but I doubt it will exceed the hospital capacities in most places. People will die and that sucks, but people are claiming that the deathwaves will be 100 times as much as with delta, which is honestly unlikely. And I also believe that a large spread of Omicron will reduce the severity of later waves. Those are the assessments of our local virologists.

Then again, I am feeling quite safe lately. Apparently, 49% of the total population of myGerman city is already boosted.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Coldrice posted:

There are users here who have spent MONTHS downplaying anything regarding Covid. SA still has a rather large user base, and sadly people still come to these kinds of threads for help parsing/aggregating the deluge of information out there. People are dying, people are suffering form long term health effects, and the financial/political repercussions are building - and all you can do is say "Nope no responsibility."

There's also users in here that have spent months posting outrageous bullshit that says covid is airborne Parkinson and other insane things straight from the bowels of Twitter but we still have to deal with it. Suck it up because at this point the place isn't being modded and it's just people screaming at each other including people yelling that YOU ARE THE REASON I CANT GO TO THE STORE AND GET MY DOUBLE WHAMMY ICE CREAM BECAUSE YOU WONT WEAR A MASK AND STAY INSIDE.

Half the people here are just here to scream about perceived enemies, the others are just here because they won't log off. Welcome to politics in the SA forums.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

mastershakeman posted:

Also re: discendo vox, simulations ARE informative and I don't know why you would say otherwise, especially when you're able to change the variables and see how the sim plays out. I don't know why you deny reality about what information is and is not

The thing is, making a simulation useful for learning things and making it work as a game are different. In order to be a game, the covid simulator adds a huge number of parameters that are really hard to determine. This is good for what covid simulator is, because it lets you explore the parameter space and see what happens if you change something. But it means there are very big error bars on any number you get from the simulator, and it's also harder to relate the output to something observable in real life. If you were making a model to understand how covid behaves rather than a game, you'd want to reduce the number of moving parts so it's easier to get a cause and effect relationship.

Or to put it differently, I guess covid simulator is claiming victory here because omicron cases are rising in the US? It's not like you needed a covid simulator to predict that, you could have looked at the papers saying Rt was higher. I don't know that you could make a more specific claim about covid simulator predicting observations of the pandemic.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Coldrice posted:

Genuine question, how has it gotten worse?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thread is closed until I have the time to go through the last several hundred posts and figure out who needs to go away or what else needs to happen. Don't post another one and maybe take a time off of angrily posting about Covid for a few days, or forever in some of your cases.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dick Trauma posted:

I am weary of enduring so many reminders that our systems will always fail us, and weary of how it causes people who might otherwise have common cause to gnaw away at one another in frustration.

Really feeling this Dick Trauma post right now. I'm going to reopen this thread, but I want to be absolutely clear: From this point forward, anyone coming in here to threadshit or attack other posters is getting a 24 hour probe at minimum. It will not be tolerated. If you want to argue with other posters, go ahead. But if you argue with posters in your head and make vague accusations about "what the thread thinks" or what "many users are saying," you are going to be punished harshly. Covid sucks poo poo and we're all trying to get through this pandemic as best we can, and most of us without significant help from our governments. That does not mean you can walk into the thread and take a poo poo on the floor. No one in the thread is minimizing Covid, nor is Something Awful, in the Covid thread or otherwise, doing anything meaningful to impact Covid responses in any country. Period. This is a thread to discuss Covid and Covid-related news; we are not solving Covid here. If that's a problem for you, personally, feel free to get out.

Owlofcreamcheese is now threadbanned.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Oocc, you've been wrong the whole time, and it's now plainly apparent.

It was plainly apparent before, but it is also now possibly apparent.

Thought you'd want someone to let you know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Uglycat posted:

Oocc, you've been wrong the whole time, and it's now plainly apparent.

It was plainly apparent before, but it is also now possibly apparent.

Thought you'd want someone to let you know.

OOCC was right plenty of times, but their posting in the thread was bad regardless of their objectively right or wrong positions. My decision to threadban them has nothing to do with them being right or wrong. Also this is a perfect example of posts I'm no longer going to be tolerating in this thread.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
rip OOCC, having an alfalfa dinner in memoriam this fine winter evening

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Owlofcreamcheese is now threadbanned.

And yet virtualboycolor, gio, and wang commander aren't? this thread is a motherfucking joke. lol gg 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
have a fun lottery where the worst post on each page eats 3 days or a week

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NecroBob posted:

And yet virtualboycolor, gio, and wang commander aren't? this thread is a motherfucking joke. lol gg 2021

I'm not ruling out more threadbans.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, Fauci already stated 1/3 of people that contract covid end up with some form of long covid.

This is getting weird. Yesterday you were posting borderline anti mask propaganda and today you are posting things that border on covid denialism. What gives?

Dude, you can't even read your own links

quote:

“We should always be aware that when people get symptomatic infection … anywhere from 10 to up to 30 plus percent of people will go on to have persistence of symptoms,” he added, noting that even mild cases are included in that possibility.

So he said from 10% to 30% of symptomatic infection will have 'persistent symptoms' which vastly different from 'if you get covid you have a 30% chance of long covid', especially since a huge amount of people with Omicron are asymptomatic

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
We have more people out on covid protocol at my job than at any point so far. Things are full blown insane now.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In non-thread news (that may have already been posted somewhere back, it's a couple days old), India gave approval to a pair of protein subunit vaccines, Covovax (Indian-produced Novovax) and Corbevax (new, no IP restrictions). Corbevax also did direct comparison to Oxford-AZ during their trial and had better efficacy. They're cheap, stable for a long time at easy temperatures, producible on traditional equipment (vs mRNA fanciness), and don't have the immunity-to-carrier-virus problems repeated dosing of carrier virus ones do (the other kind producible on common equipment). Good news for poor countries or places without good cold chains.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Foxfire_ posted:

In non-thread news (that may have already been posted somewhere back, it's a couple days old), India gave approval to a pair of protein subunit vaccines, Covovax (Indian-produced Novovax) and Corbevax (new, no IP restrictions). Corbevax also did direct comparison to Oxford-AZ during their trial and had better efficacy. They're cheap, stable for a long time at easy temperatures, producible on traditional equipment (vs mRNA fanciness), and don't have the immunity-to-carrier-virus problems repeated dosing of carrier virus ones do (the other kind producible on common equipment). Good news for poor countries or places without good cold chains.

I'm glad to see conventional vaccines getting some action, mRNA really only seems to have "rapid prototyping" going for it at this point and for various economic reasons they don't seem able to actually retool so better to go with something that can be produced and stored more easily.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

Corbevax is Peter Hotez' vaccine, it's great to finally see it make it to market despite his struggles getting it funded. Looking forward to seeing the trial results.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wang Commander posted:

I'm glad to see conventional vaccines getting some action, mRNA really only seems to have "rapid prototyping" going for it at this point and for various economic reasons they don't seem able to actually retool so better to go with something that can be produced and stored more easily.

My understanding is that another major advantage of mRNA and viral vector vaccines (as well as attenuated live virus?) is they induce production of viral material inside of cells, instead of having the material all/mostly extracellular as in a protein subunit vaccine. So they elicit somewhat different immune responses.

said was I was getting at with much better technical explanation
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 31, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Wang Commander posted:

mRNA ones are likely to be more effective. Mechanistically, they are closer to a real infection and engage cell-mediated immunity in ways that protein subunits won't. When a cell is manufacturing protein, it chops up some fraction of its products and displays the pieces on its outside. Cell-mediated immunity has an immune cell recognizing a fragment as non-native and telling the cell to kill itself (because it is infected and manufacturing virus). Stopping virus manufacturing as well as humoral antibodies binding free virus is useful.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
SA forums really are quite authoritative:

Rauros posted:

Cold Rice's random walk simulation is more complex than this published one:

A random walk Monte Carlo simulation study of COVID-19-like infection spread
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8047309/

Also, yeah I've created simulators and written/published/reviewed papers on them, coldrice's poo poo is hella impressive.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

This thread should be permanently closed. Any hypothetical “good” that comes from this thread through informing posters about COVID news is far outweighed by the clear harm it inflicts by cultivating a space for the worst posters to spend hours a day obsessively indulging their pretend epidemiologist fantasies while taking public health advice from an amateur video game. As funny and entertaining as the terrible moderation is, for the love of god step back and assess the shitshow you’ve created and have some perspective.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

freebooter posted:

We are not confining people to their homes for further months and months and months on end in pursuit of the impossible dream of COVID-zero.

Why is covid zero an impossible dream, except that we refuse to take the actions that would produce it? Covid isn't magic, we can do things to prevent its spread.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why is covid zero an impossible dream, except that we refuse to take the actions that would produce it? Covid isn't magic, we can do things to prevent its spread.

I think the refusal to take the actions is baked into the impossibility.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

speng31b posted:

I think the refusal to take the actions is baked into the impossibility.

I mean, "I refuse to" (on the part of my original quoted poster) isn't the same as "impossible dream"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like a whole lot more could be done (in the US) but getting to "extremely fast and targeted lockdowns, extensive testing and contact tracing, COVID is contained to small outbreaks that are stamped out" would require a shift in public unity and will that I just can't fathom the US being able to do in a timely enough manner. You're fighting a country that has been selling its citizens on "rugged individuality and personal choice and freedom" so the people at the top can get away with their abhorrent behavior for hundreds of years and that's apparently not going to change for a pandemic that isn't killing a huge percentage of the population.

Like, mayyyyyybe if Covid was so deadly we were talking half the country is gonna die people would do what it'd take but I'm also 100% certain you'd have plenty of people calling it a hoax and intentionally disobeying quarantines and rules (and then dying) just because that's how this stupid country is.

But...it could be doing a lot more than it is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Levitate posted:

I feel like a whole lot more could be done (in the US) but getting to "extremely fast and targeted lockdowns, extensive testing and contact tracing, COVID is contained to small outbreaks that are stamped out" would require a shift in public unity and will that I just can't fathom the US being able to do in a timely enough manner. You're fighting a country that has been selling its citizens on "rugged individuality and personal choice and freedom" so the people at the top can get away with their abhorrent behavior for hundreds of years and that's apparently not going to change for a pandemic that isn't killing a huge percentage of the population.

Like, mayyyyyybe if Covid was so deadly we were talking half the country is gonna die people would do what it'd take but I'm also 100% certain you'd have plenty of people calling it a hoax and intentionally disobeying quarantines and rules (and then dying) just because that's how this stupid country is.

But...it could be doing a lot more than it is
The problem is that the government last year completely fumbled everything with the lockdowns and made it so that the population was not going to do that again. Plus we are in a country where the vast majority of people have to work to be able to feed themselves and the government was not going to suddenly go full socialist so that people could stay home and prevent the spread.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I think a lot of people can only see "Covid zero" or "let it rip" as possibilities, when there is a huge space between those two outcomes and most places fall into that space.

A mask mandate that only reduces the daily growth in cases is still an effective mandate. Shutting retail is still a good idea even if people are primarily catching Covid at home. Any mechanism that pays people to stay home has a huge return on investment right now.

Police/army patrols that check if people have a reason to be in public are a good idea, even if there are way too few policemen/soldiers to reach 100% compliance because it shows people the government is trying.

If we want to survive Omicron without probable hospital collapse we need to accept all possible NPIs right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's called "Martial Law" and would not be tolerated in the United States without some sort of declaration of war.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i did a big fart and a bunch of diarrhea sprayed out in my pants does that mean i have covid :ohdear:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

slorb posted:

Shutting retail is still a good idea even if people are primarily catching Covid at home. Any mechanism that pays people to stay home has a huge return on investment right now.

What do you mean by “huge return on investment”? And do you have a source for both of these claims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nooner posted:

i did a big fart and a bunch of diarrhea sprayed out in my pants does that mean i have covid :ohdear:

I dunno but I would recommend against taking medical advice from the Something Awful internet forums.