Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish Bing Maps would spend more effort keeping their satellite data current. Considering it's probably not really popular in comparison to Google Maps, and therefore doesn't generate as much revenue, they're likely cagey about spending money. The imagery around here I live is old as gently caress, and to add insult to injury, they ran the imagery through some ML scaling algorithm somewhen last year and made it worse.

Project managers/execs loving love it when they see the words "machine learning," and they will try to shoehorn the tech into everything they possibly can regardless of what the actual results are. See also: localization, where games are now being ruined for people around the world with terrible "AI-assisted" translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish Bing Maps would spend more effort keeping their satellite data current. Considering it's probably not really popular in comparison to Google Maps, and therefore doesn't generate as much revenue, they're likely cagey about spending money. The imagery around here I live is old as gently caress, and to add insult to injury, they ran the imagery through some ML scaling algorithm somewhen last year and made it worse.

it's a real shame they're wasting some amazing tech on bing map data

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bing Maps is so outdated that Baltimore (KBWI) straight up has the wrong runways. I don’t know when they completed that airport renovation but it sure feels like that’s been like 10 years? And I mean Baltimore isn’t one of America’s busiest ever, but it’s a major Southwest hub and I’m surprised at the horrid state it’s in from Bing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What's the deal with Microsoft Flight Sim's Top Gun expansion? All media outlets reported it has been delayed until May of 2022 to accompany the release of the new movie. But I can fly around in the MSFS2020 "official" F-18 now.

What else is this expansion going to include besides the F18? Surely we're not getting missiles and dog fighting, right? But if not, what else is there? Just carriers?

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Volleyball mini-game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

What's the deal with Microsoft Flight Sim's Top Gun expansion? All media outlets reported it has been delayed until May of 2022 to accompany the release of the new movie. But I can fly around in the MSFS2020 "official" F-18 now.

What else is this expansion going to include besides the F18? Surely we're not getting missiles and dog fighting, right? But if not, what else is there? Just carriers?

Since MS won't allow weapons (even if they don't shoot/drop) in the Marketplace at all, we're not going to be getting weapons from the Top Gun content, unless MS changes the ESRB/PEGI rating.

The carriers will also add native support for "landable" moving objects (the current carriers for MSFS are all static), catapults, and arresting systems, all of which have been part of P3d for years, but aren't in MSFS right now.

IIRC, the official trailer also includes some kind of fictional stealth fighter, so we'll probably get that too, and I'd assume it'll probably come with some challenges, tutorials, and flights as well.

At the moment, the only plausible way for MSFS to get functional weapons is if someone comes up with an external program like TacPack for MSFS, but since MSFS handles external programs significantly differently than P3d or FSX, it'll be a long time before that happens, if it ever does.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks for the info, that does clear things up. As for Microsoft not including weapons, yeah that seems like a very intentional kind of branding choice. I can’t see them changing that ever, either.

I suppose if they really wanted to have their cake and eat it too, they could sidestep that “no weapons” stance by starting up something like a small little daughter company under a different name who makes a game of their own where they “license“ full MSFS2020 world, then implements full on military aircraft with functional weapons and targeting systems and stuff.

They’d get to keep their stance against violence and get a piece of the DCS / Ace Combat market as well.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the info, that does clear things up. As for Microsoft not including weapons, yeah that seems like a very intentional kind of branding choice. I can’t see them changing that ever, either.

I suppose if they really wanted to have their cake and eat it too, they could sidestep that “no weapons” stance by starting up something like a small little daughter company under a different name who makes a game of their own where they “license“ full MSFS2020 world, then implements full on military aircraft with functional weapons and targeting systems and stuff.

They’d get to keep their stance against violence and get a piece of the DCS / Ace Combat market as well.

They used to have a separate product called Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator back in the old days, that solved the problem. It used to be a WWII sim only, if I remember correctly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I doubt they'll ever make a combat game that uses the MSFS engine. There was already a bit of a panic in 2001 when it was suggested that the 9/11 hijackers practiced their attack in PC flight simulators; that concern is a big part of why MSFS has never added realistic damage and explosions and fireballs when you crash your plane. The idea of kids using the simulator to shoot down 747s, or drop bombs on their high school or the white house or yankee stadium, is just too squicky for any marketing department to contemplate.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I vaguely remember there being crash damage in one of the pre-2001 iterations of MSFS.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I doubt they'll ever make a combat game that uses the MSFS engine. There was already a bit of a panic in 2001 when it was suggested that the 9/11 hijackers practiced their attack in PC flight simulators; that concern is a big part of why MSFS has never added realistic damage and explosions and fireballs when you crash your plane. The idea of kids using the simulator to shoot down 747s, or drop bombs on their high school or the white house or yankee stadium, is just too squicky for any marketing department to contemplate.

I get not adding explosions or environment damage, but it would be nice to have IL-2 style damage to wings or props when landing.

So many times through the years I've managed to survive a hard mission in IL-2 but get humiliated in the end by getting my propellers smashed or wings damaged because of rolling in the end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

I get not adding explosions or environment damage, but it would be nice to have IL-2 style damage to wings or props when landing.

I agree with this. I would like to see the landing gear snap off in a bad crosswind landing and stuff like that. I understand that they won't model that because of their licensing agreements with the airplane manufacturers, who don't want to show their planes getting damaged, which is weenie as hell.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

JayKay posted:

I vaguely remember there being crash damage in one of the pre-2001 iterations of MSFS.

The plane shatters into large flat pieces like glass in 97

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I remember the good ol days of flying a Cessna into the Sears Tower and Hancock Building and shooting the air with my Sopwith Camel MGs. Goddamn cancel culture.

..and flying under bridges. The biggest sin of MSFS2020.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

..and flying under bridges. The biggest sin of MSFS2020.

I loved flying under Golden Gate in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDb2_yJhW2A

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I agree with this. I would like to see the landing gear snap off in a bad crosswind landing and stuff like that. I understand that they won't model that because of their licensing agreements with the airplane manufacturers, who don't want to show their planes getting damaged, which is weenie as hell.

I always laughed at that line of thinking. It’s so goddamn dumb.

Like I picture the CEO of Boeing in a meeting with Microsoft slamming his hands on the boardroom table and shouting: “What? No! We absolutely refuse to allow our planes to show damage in your video game. What if a random player slams a 747 straight into a mountain at 650 knots? If it doesn’t bounce off like a rubber toy, they might think twice before buying one!”

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's especially laughable when we're talking about military hardware. "My god, what if some teenager snuck onto an active air force base and stole a fully armed and operational F-16! We, a French flight-sim company, would clearly be most responsible for that."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I always laughed at that line of thinking. It’s so goddamn dumb.

Like I picture the CEO of Boeing in a meeting with Microsoft slamming his hands on the boardroom table and shouting: “What? No! We absolutely refuse to allow our planes to show damage in your video game. What if a random player slams a 747 straight into a mountain at 650 knots? If it doesn’t bounce off like a rubber toy, they might think twice before buying one!”

They're worried more about plane ticket sales than actual plane sales. The fear is that people will see realistic depictions of airliners crashing and then think twice about getting on one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, I think it's ridiculous that manufacturers have a bug up their rear end about it to some degree, but I'm also sort of worried about the people who think this is some kind of missing feature that would be great to have, so I can't say I care.

Realistic minor damage to landing gear/props/etc. would be mildly beneficial, but frankly I don't think anyone needs to see what it looks like when you have a catastrophic crash. There's not much to show, anyway.

Props bend really funny when they hit the ground, by the way. I've never done it myself but I've seen the result and it's goofy-looking enough that you might think it was a joke if you saw it in a game.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Unfortunately, I have

I'll try to find the pictures

edit: drat, apparently mine didn't bend funny

Alctel fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 31, 2021

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
related story, I would trade a fair-sized pile of us currency for “GTA but in real cities”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because damage in sims is fun to see. It doesn't need to be super realistic, but seeing landing gear collapse from rough landings, or the props bending, or wings breaking off from putting too much of a load on them would be cool.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alctel posted:

Unfortunately, I have

Glad you're ok! Looks like a nice field to put it down in at least.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

I mean, I think it's ridiculous that manufacturers have a bug up their rear end about it to some degree, but I'm also sort of worried about the people who think this is some kind of missing feature that would be great to have, so I can't say I care

Have you played KSP? Half of the fun of the early game is watching your rocket explode in unexpected ways.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lobsterminator posted:

I loved flying under Golden Gate in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDb2_yJhW2A

:hfive:

That was my step up from a C64 and it was glorious.

My first "modern" PC game was Jetfighter III when I bought my Pentium200 ~1997 timeframe. I still have it in the box (along with my Janes sims)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YzWeGVW6mw

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Enos Cabell posted:

Glad you're ok! Looks like a nice field to put it down in at least.

Thanks! It was a swamp unfortunately but still better than the alternatives for sure

Alctel fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 31, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bedurndurn posted:

Have you played KSP? Half of the fun of the early game is watching your rocket explode in unexpected ways.

Yeah, but binning a sim plane into the ground/a mountain/a building isn't unexpected, it's just watching an explosion with no real point.

Spoiler alert: spread out debris field, fire, and corpses. I don't need to see that any more than I need to see extremely realistic gunshot wounds in FPSs (also, we don't get those either, for obvious reasons).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Alctel posted:

Unfortunately, I have

Yeah, I suppose when it's soft ground it doesn't do as much damage. When it's pavement, it makes a really loving loud unpleasant noise (I was close enough I heard it happen) and the ends get bent like a cartoon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but binning a sim plane into the ground/a mountain/a building isn't unexpected, it's just watching an explosion with no real point.

Spoiler alert: spread out debris field, fire, and corpses. I don't need to see that any more than I need to see extremely realistic gunshot wounds in FPSs (also, we don't get those either, for obvious reasons).

No one is asking for corpses and crash site investigations with first person evidence finding minigames. We just want the planes to break.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

No one is asking for corpses and crash site investigations with first person evidence finding minigames. We just want the planes to break.

Yeah, and I said "minor damage would be good." Seeing what happens when a plane crashes full-on into something, is not really necessary.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but binning a sim plane into the ground/a mountain/a building isn't unexpected

It is when it happens to me.

Honestly half of why I want it is as an evaluation of my fail state. Current MSFS is either everything's 100% fine or there's a black screen. I want some feedback on how badly I hosed it up and if this is a landing I can walk away from or a letter to mom kind of landing.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 31, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Speak for yourselves, I'm not satisfied till you have to run a diving operation to recover a black box from the middle of the pacific every time you crash

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Alctel posted:

Speak for yourselves, I'm not satisfied till you have to run a diving operation to recover a black box from the middle of the pacific every time you crash

In real time.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

That's actually what happened with the previous version of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

When Microsoft essentially abandoned the franchise a decade or so back, they sold the "entertainment" license for the code to Dovetail Games, and the "educational/professional" license for the same code to Lockheed Martin.

Dovetail released "Flight Sim World" (basically FSX using some updated visuals) on Steam in 2017, and then abandoned it in 2018 after running into financial trouble.

Lockheed took their license for FSX and created Prepar3d in 2009, and while you're explicitly banned from using it for entertainment (I assume the EULA allows Lock-Mart to crash an F-35 into anyone having fun with it), it was the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" replacement until MSFS came out, and it's also sold pretty well to various governments, since it can incorporate weapons and such out of the box.

Since P3d is spectacularly user-unfriendly (and it basically requires a lot of 3rd party stuff for weather and scenery), it never really took off among "casual" users, and when MSFS came out, companies that produced addons for P3d reported that sales absolutely fell off a cliff as soon as MSFS launched.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 31, 2021

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Alctel posted:

Unfortunately, I have

What happened?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PT6A posted:

Debris is fun to see. Corpses not so much. The best racing games have poo poo flying off of the car if you slam it straight into a wall. And even though we don't get realistic gunshot wounds, unless you're playing the Chinese version of PUBG, you still get death animations and effects, sometimes hilariously exaggerated ones.

Plus, if you lose a wing and still keep flying, that's fun as gently caress. The panicked failure spiral up until the final collision with the ground is great. If you're already losing wings, you may as well let everything else break off, and it's far more satisfying than a fade to black.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

PT6A posted:

I don't need to see that any more than I need to see extremely realistic gunshot wounds in FPSs (also, we don't get those either, for obvious reasons).

I mean, have you seen Sniper Elite

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Debris is fun to see. Corpses not so much. The best racing games have poo poo flying off of the car if you slam it straight into a wall. And even though we don't get realistic gunshot wounds, unless you're playing the Chinese version of PUBG, you still get death animations and effects, sometimes hilariously exaggerated ones.

Plus, if you lose a wing and still keep flying, that's fun as gently caress. The panicked failure spiral up until the final collision with the ground is great. If you're already losing wings, you may as well let everything else break off, and it's far more satisfying than a fade to black.

I can agree it'd be cool to model damage, especially in flight. A bent prop and sheared off gear from a hard landing? An upside-down plane from poor crosswind control, or the realistic result of a ground loop? Yeah, cool. A crash? Probably not so much. I just don't think there's much to see there, unless you want to see how big a boom you can make. Maybe we're talking about different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BMan posted:

I mean, have you seen Sniper Elite

Shooting Hitler in the balls will never not be a video gaming highlight. :sickos: