Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I dont because Colin is the only good person on that show

:colbert:

Diedrich Bader is a pretty good voice actor and one of the best animated Batmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Craig Ferguson was also on the show, and he's pretty funny and not cancelled to my knowledge.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Diedrich Bader is a pretty good voice actor and one of the best animated Batmans.

The Harley Quinn show on HBO Max had absolutely no right being that incredibly good.

Like easily the best DC thing since Burton / Batman The Animated Series

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SpacePig posted:

Craig Ferguson was also on the show, and he's pretty funny and not cancelled to my knowledge.

He deliberately stepped back from tv to deal with his alcohol issues I think, but he's still super cool and was one of the first people to publicly defend Britney Spears when basically everyone else was making nasty jokes at her expense.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Harley Quinn show on HBO Max had absolutely no right being that incredibly good.

Like easily the best DC thing since Burton / Batman The Animated Series

It's true. My partner who only knows comic book storylines from the movies, enjoyed the hell out of the first season. Currently working our way through season two now.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Memento posted:

He deliberately stepped back from tv to deal with his alcohol issues I think, but he's still super cool and was one of the first people to publicly defend Britney Spears when basically everyone else was making nasty jokes at her expense.

Nah, he's been sober 30 years. He was never very pleased with late night TV; after ten years of doing the show, subverting the format and doing whatever he wanted wasn't enough to keep him interested anymore. He's done other TV since, largely game shows, and has even won a couple Emmys for them.

But, yeah, it says a lot about comedy of the time that Ferguson saying "I'm not going to punch down at Britney" was so unexpected and revolutionary on its own, even before he went on with his tremendous "instead I'm going to tell you about the lowest point in my life and maybe inspire some empathy in you" monologue.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I keep forgetting that Craig Ferguson is not Craig Robinson and it really confuses me sometimes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I keep forgetting that Craig Ferguson is not Craig Robinson and it really confuses me sometimes.

They’re both good! Morris from America is a fantastic movie with Craig Robinson that more people should see

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Craig Ferguson had the good monologue about Britney Spears in a time where earnestness and honesty got you fed to the fuckin wolves

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

is craig related to turd :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doc Hawkins posted:

is craig related to turd :confused:

the jury is out due to the abundance of dna, its quite a mess

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ferguson was indeed the best. Dude loved loving around with the format and just in general, but when something came up that he cared about he had no problems with legitimately just opening up. Myers is the only one who comes close of the current late night hosts. And think the dudes doing a genuinely good job, but he's no Ferguson.

Anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvK7rv6_YU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dr_rat posted:

Ferguson was indeed the best. Dude loved loving around with the format and just in general, but when something came up that he cared about he had no problems with legitimately just opening up. Myers is the only one who comes close of the current late night hosts. And think the dudes doing a genuinely good job, but he's no Ferguson.

Anyway:

I'm still amazed anyone gave Jimmy Fallon of all people a talk show. Dude always sounds like he's desperately afraid people are about to laugh at him instead of with him. He's not bad when given direction and lines to read, but hoo-boy can he not carry a show off-the-cuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

But, yeah, it says a lot about comedy of the time that Ferguson saying "I'm not going to punch down at Britney" was so unexpected and revolutionary on its own, even before he went on with his tremendous "instead I'm going to tell you about the lowest point in my life and maybe inspire some empathy in you" monologue.

That was legitimately an amazing moment in TV history. The compassion and empathy he showed during that monologue was humbling and extraordinary. I mean I was already Team Ferguson, but that just cemented it for me.

I was sad when he decided to end his run. But he did it like he did all his shows, on his terms. I'm not sure if there's an archive of his full shows anywhere, but there's tons of stuff on YouTube and it's really good stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still amazed anyone gave Jimmy Fallon of all people a talk show. Dude always sounds like he's desperately afraid people are about to laugh at him instead of with him. He's not bad when given direction and lines to read, but hoo-boy can he not carry a show off-the-cuff.

"hey Jimmy, how much chance is there that you will ever go off script or talk about something on your own agenda? None at all? Right, right, and what are the chances you'll ask whatever soft-ball questions we write for you for whichever scumbag we put on your show to boost ratings... a hundred percent? Good man, sign on the dotted line and we're in business"

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is how I felt about Leno. He was an *awful* interviewer. Guests would lead a conversation one way, and he would just snap back to his pre-written questions with zero engagement. Never liked his interviews.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah both Fallon and Corden I seriously just don't...get? like why? Kimmel not the biggest fan of, but hey he can actually tell a joke and I can see why people might like him. Those two just seem the opposite of humor.

I mean leno was just terrible, so sucking at comedy just works for the gig I guess?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Proteus Jones posted:

That was legitimately an amazing moment in TV history. The compassion and empathy he showed during that monologue was humbling and extraordinary. I mean I was already Team Ferguson, but that just cemented it for me.

I was sad when he decided to end his run. But he did it like he did all his shows, on his terms. I'm not sure if there's an archive of his full shows anywhere, but there's tons of stuff on YouTube and it's really good stuff.

They used that monologue in the addiction recovery program I went to. I was pretty impressed. Not enough to actually grab a brain and get sober at the time, but I think it contributed to me eventually getting there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you guys not considered that he could be a goon and how hurtful reading these hot takes might be too me?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ferguson and Letterman were god tier interviewers.

Letterman and Carson were funny in monologues and did pretty good comedy bits.

Conan was the funniest by far and a really good interviewer.

Kimmel is okay at interviews and not much else.

Colbert is impossible to watch if you were around for the daily show / Colbert Report, seeing how toothless and neutered he is now. (See also: Conan's Tonight Show before he knew he was getting fired)

Myers is okay.

Leno and Fallon are irredeemable dog poo poo. Just the loving worst.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

someone should make them all virtual, then have them battle each other

see who wins

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

see who wins

(go to 4 minutes in if my link don't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oTTEtL3yxM&t=241s

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ferguson and Letterman were god tier interviewers.

Letterman and Carson were funny in monologues and did pretty good comedy bits.

Conan was the funniest by far and a really good interviewer.

Kimmel is okay at interviews and not much else.

Colbert is impossible to watch if you were around for the daily show / Colbert Report, seeing how toothless and neutered he is now. (See also: Conan's Tonight Show before he knew he was getting fired)

Myers is okay.

Leno and Fallon are irredeemable dog poo poo. Just the loving worst.

where does Mike Bullard rank

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

see who wins

Virtually? Chicken.

Colosseums were invented for a reason.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Virtually? Chicken.

Not sure the Romans had late-night talk show hosts, but I haven't read a lot of history books

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ferguson was effortless with his charisma and interviews, even his jokes about himself never seemed self deprecating. Everything just flowed. I love Conan but allot of his interviews just seemed so scripted or that Conan had to get the last laugh…lotta awkward moments.

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Dec 31, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sally posted:

where does Mike Bullard rank

He was rank.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

The Craig Conundrum just shook the memory of Craig Kilborn loose from a dusty corner of my brain.

TO THE TIME MACHINE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IayB-Oa3p-E

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

absolutely not

dr_rat posted:

Virtually? Chicken.

Yes. I am sorry it should be real

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jabberlock posted:

Not sure the Romans had late-night talk show hosts, but I haven't read a lot of history books

I mean not certainly not many after the Colosseums were done with them obliviously.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dr_rat posted:

Anyway:

Aw, c'mon! "Scrooge McNuts" was right there!

E: anyway, Andrew Denton's "Enough Rope" was really good as far as interviews go. He had the chutzpah to ask the really good questions.

I'd link to it, but it seems to have dropped off the face of the internet :(

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Dec 31, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

E: anyway, Andrew Denton's "Enough Rope" was really good as far as interviews go. He had the chutzpah to ask the really good questions.

Oh yeah Denton was great interviewer. Shaun Micallef was as well, but only of fictional people. Real people, yeah, one of the few things he actually sucks at.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

If we're going Australian, Rove Live was pretty good for a weekly show.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Except for the part where you had to hear Rove McManus talk.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

This is really the saddest thing. Colbert Report during Trump would have been insane

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Except for the part where you had to hear Rove McManus talk.

Pretty much. John Safran was just leagues above him that sort of stuff, but while still comedic your starting to get into louis theroux style of interviewing there.

Mauser posted:

This is really the saddest thing. Colbert Report during Trump would have been insane

Seriously. I mean, what happened. :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7oHEF4q.mp4

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Mauser posted:

Colbert Report during Trump would have probably stoked the flames even further as the people mainlining Q into their veins refuse to believe it's a bit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lmao this still gets me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

Colbert Report during Trump would have probably stoked the flames even further as the people mainlining Q into their veins refuse to believe it's a bit.

that already happened during bush