Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Both Avengers Infinity War and Endgame were beat in the Japanese box office by Detective Conan films releasing around the same time. The only movies that ever seem to beat Conan are literal cultural phenomenons.

Didn't that Demon Slayer movie do outrageously well too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Simpsons did it.

It’s still nuts to me that Simpsons flashback episodes got progressively later to the point where now Homer was a kid during the 90s and liked all the bands that he was too old to appreciate when they guest starred on the actual show

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I almost think that the new Home Alone was written with some lovely kid and bad guys who are put in a tough sympathetic situation to get older people to talk about it, while younger people can just watch the funny kid pranks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They probably saw that old meme about Kevin being a psychopath who sadistically tortures two men after luring them into his compound.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was revisiting old drama and I got really sour on Sophie Curio for the way they dealt with the Joseph Anderson callout again. I think that's a good example of having a good point and a moral high ground and still being kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Seconded. Odd Taxi's great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solitair posted:

Seconded. Odd Taxi's great.

start the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxX1tz1p4Y

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dias posted:

I was revisiting old drama and I got really sour on Sophie Curio for the way they dealt with the Joseph Anderson callout again. I think that's a good example of having a good point and a moral high ground and still being kind of an rear end in a top hat.

What happened there? I don’t pay much attention to Joseph Anderson, I don’t think he does good reviews as much as he goes through every experience he had in a game, in order

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdTrGCZORBk

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Ghostlight posted:

i'm infuriated that he refers to interstella 5555 as "very obscure" but i also can't formulate any kind of argument against it.

It was big in France and Belgium, if that helps.

Hell, I wish there was a video series (in English) about just how ahead of the curve France was compared to the US when it comes to Anime. They were dubbing stuff way before it became a thing overseas, with the possible exception of Robotech. Obscure stuff like 5555 or Knights of the Zodiac were known to most 80s kids. They even got Power Rangers (sort of) a whole decade before the actual Power Rangers existed with the dubbing of the Bioman Sentai.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

A lot of of manga showed up non-english Europe way before manga became big in America because it was just treated as comics. Both because translated media was a bit more common and because the culture wasn't locked to superhero comics because of the comics code or whatever. There are quite a lot of big or influential manga that had French or even Swedish translations back in the 80s that are only now getting fan translated into English.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I once read a single chapter from tokyo ghoul because some dude at work kept going on about how much he loved it and even got a tattoo of it

Never again

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is there any good video retrospectives/breakdowns of 2000's anime-con culture? I only really got into Anime and Manga at the tail end of that phenomenon, when people started growing a collective self-awareness and a lot of the wilder and more sketchy poo poo started becoming rightfully frowned upon.

Won't soon forget my first con however, pretty hard to forget someone sneaking up behind you and going full tilt with a wooden paddle before running off in a giggling fit.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Is there any good video retrospectives/breakdowns of 2000's anime-con culture? I only really got into Anime and Manga at the tail end of that phenomenon, when people started growing a collective self-awareness and a lot of the wilder and more sketchy poo poo started becoming rightfully frowned upon.

Won't soon forget my first con however, pretty hard to forget someone sneaking up behind you and going full tilt with a wooden paddle before running off in a giggling fit.

Red bard has done a few videos like this, including one on the exact thing you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8yuFmJVwtY

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Human interaction is a mistake

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been avoiding some of the Marvel videos that've been posted recently because I couldn't remember having watched Endgame, but it turns out I had watched it, and just completely forgotten it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shadowrun predicted pandemics, aggressive pushes to further genocide indigenous people, and endless wars for corporate profits, but instead of everyone giving birth to elves and orcs we get mad about whether or not it's okay to want to kiss Hannibal Lecter.
Predicting pandemics, the thing that's been a regular feature of all of human history except in an extended period before 2019? Real strong prediction there. I wonder if next they'll predict that water might be occasionally moist.
Kidding aside, shadowrun didn't predict any of that - cyberpunk did.
Shadowrun is just cyberpunk but with fantasy tropes because people insist on intermixing science fiction and fantasy genres.

Ash Crimson posted:

:words:
Wow, you really do keep trying, don't you.

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2owgv56jQ

That video, along with AMV Hell 1 through 3, is a capsule of early-2000s anime convention.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wow, you really do keep trying, don't you.

The little enby that could

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't that Demon Slayer movie do outrageously well too?

Because of the way 2020 was, it was actually the biggest or 2nd biggest 2020 movie wrt worldwide box office (If you don't count revenue earned with its 2021 releases in various countries it's the 2nd, if you do it's the first).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nuns with Guns posted:

e- CJ the X has posted a new video about Rick and Morty and creating things btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgyWvklovg

This was a good video, I love the energy CJ brings. The analysis / discussion is a nice split between "Rick and Morty is irresponsible in the message it presents" and "it takes a genius level IQ etc etc" takes that are the usual ones you find. I can't remember seeing any other talks about the show that bring in the writers' creative processes. It's especially good to compare Harmon's writing philosophy about leaning away from the Deep Lore contrasted with a large part of the fanbase spinning out ever-increasingly complicated plot theories.

Optimistic video about creating art and not being afraid of what weird or bad or cringe things you might make, even if that thing ends up being a giant space incest baby.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1lXgrrOmk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shadowrun predicted pandemics, aggressive pushes to further genocide indigenous people, and endless wars for corporate profits, but instead of everyone giving birth to elves and orcs we get mad about whether or not it's okay to want to kiss Hannibal Lecter.

e- CJ the X has posted a new video about Rick and Morty and creating things btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgyWvklovg

"Don't negotiate with terrorists, your ego is a terrorist" is a great line. CJ is one of the few people who can get me to watch an hour+ video because it doesn't feel like an hour+.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Honestly, gently caress off with that racist-rear end meme.

don't worry racism has finally been solved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgnBwcOKGw

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

What happened there? I don’t pay much attention to Joseph Anderson, I don’t think he does good reviews as much as he goes through every experience he had in a game, in order

I think it had to do with his really weird conclusion that elves were the problem in The Witcher universe that he talked about in his billion hour long Witcher reviews. The criticisms directed at him were about the kind of review format he adopts. I could be mistaken however, I don't watch many f Sophie from Mars videos but I remember her taking some shots at him in her Witcher videos (which were good, by the way). I didn't think there was much drama surrounding that, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

I think it had to do with his really weird conclusion that elves were the problem in The Witcher universe that he talked about in his billion hour long Witcher reviews. The criticisms directed at him were about the kind of review format he adopts. I could be mistaken however, I don't watch many f Sophie from Mars videos but I remember her taking some shots at him in her Witcher videos (which were good, by the way). I didn't think there was much drama surrounding that, though.

Yeah, they called him out for his takes about the elves, which so far so good, and pulled this move trying to get the guy to donate to LGBTQ causes in Poland, which was a bit lovely in hindsight. Of course Joseph tried to defend himself and commented on their video, which is when I think Sophie was actually assholish: they got angry because they didn't want it to be a public argument (despite dedicating a good chunk of the video to calling Anderson out), called him out for THAT on Twitter and the dude got a lot of people pestering him on Twitter to the point he reduced his presence there significantly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ash Crimson posted:

I once read a single chapter from tokyo ghoul because some dude at work kept going on about how much he loved it and even got a tattoo of it

Never again

cool story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dias posted:

Yeah, they called him out for his takes about the elves, which so far so good, and pulled this move trying to get the guy to donate to LGBTQ causes in Poland, which was a bit lovely in hindsight. Of course Joseph tried to defend himself and commented on their video, which is when I think Sophie was actually assholish: they got angry because they didn't want it to be a public argument (despite dedicating a good chunk of the video to calling Anderson out), called him out for THAT on Twitter and the dude got a lot of people pestering him on Twitter to the point he reduced his presence there significantly.

All because JA said the elves in a video game are annoying.

lol, just lmao.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

This is real life okay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean what was his take on the elves? Because the elves in Witcher come in three categories: regular people getting poo poo on by humans, rear end in a top hat terrorists covering up for a raging inferiority complex with extreme violence, and interdimensional genocidal fascists.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean what was his take on the elves? Because the elves in Witcher come in three categories: regular people getting poo poo on by humans, rear end in a top hat terrorists covering up for a raging inferiority complex with extreme violence, and interdimensional genocidal fascists.

The latter, it was about the Scotatiel IIRC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dias posted:

The latter, it was about the Scotatiel IIRC.

So people got mad that he called out the psychotic murderers for being psychotic murderers?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the Scotatiel are sympathtic but i dont think you are supposed to root for them... strange that people would take offense at someone pointing out their flaws

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 31, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Understanding their motivations isn't the same as endorsing them. Yeah I can sympathize with a marginalized group trying to get back on their feet but the Squirrels' blood for blood attitude only perpetuates atrocities and most of them are just thugs using their own hurt as a toxic motivation to torture others.

It's a messy issue when your only other option is to try and live alongside your oppressors, but again, understanding and sympathy isn't a sign that their actions should be condoned.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Joseph Anderson posted:

I DON'T hate the elves because of the Scoia'tael. In fact I say in the video that I understand and even agree with their response to their horrible situation.

Joseph Anderson posted:

This drive toward genocide is a part of that fiction. It's a part of what the elves are. Whether they could eventually change and move past that is beyond the scope of the books and games. With the information we have to go on, they have been genocidal supremacists for thousands of years. They are humans but worse. This is a part of the point of the series.

Joseph Anderson posted:

Also I'm not "implying" their badness is inherent to their race: I'm outright saying that. I think the elves have genocidal natures. I think that's part of the whole point of their interactions with humans. It's part of the whole point of the fiction. What would humans do if they had to face off against a race that is just like them, but far worse in almost every way? They are the personification of some of the worst tendencies we have.

Joseph Anderson posted:

I think you would struggle very much to name many characters who do not flaunt their elven supremacy, or are not actively doing horrible things to other races. I agree that many of them are sympathetic (I say so in the videos) but even the seemingly most friendly elf will suddenly blurt out racist ideology.

Joseph Anderson posted:

My conclusion is that the elves, representing the worst of us, need to be removed. And remember this is a fantasy world with planet hopping. "Removed" doesn't mean exterminated. It means them moving to their own planet with near unlimited resources so they can live in peace (also remember that its the fault of the elves that countless races have been upturned from their original homes, lost their original planets, and are in this hosed up situation to begin with). That keeping them around to co-exist is just allowing the possibility of another outbreak of racism and "some races are better than others" resurfacing. It needs to be excised.

I like Joe as a critic but he probably should have just said "hey maybe I was wrong about this one"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Both parties were also discussing different depictions of the elves according to JA, one was focusing on the books and the other on the games. With the S2 of the Netflix series out and the recent discussions we had here I remembered that stuff and I can't help but feel it was very lovely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Predicting pandemics, the thing that's been a regular feature of all of human history except in an extended period before 2019? Real strong prediction there. I wonder if next they'll predict that water might be occasionally moist.
Kidding aside, shadowrun didn't predict any of that - cyberpunk did.
Shadowrun is just cyberpunk but with fantasy tropes because people insist on intermixing science fiction and fantasy genres.

Thank you for replying to my joke post with facts I've known regarding a hobby I tragically sold my soul to at the tender age of 11 (this is a joke about the D&D satanic panic.) But if you're going to "well-actually" me about this, the Cyberpunk TTRPG is itself a conglomeration of tropes, concepts, and future speculation that was pooled from comic, film, and literary sources of the grim near-future coming out in the 80s, with addendums in future editions as more came out through the 90s and to today. It certainly came first in compiling them all together into a... kind of cohesive singular gaming world, but you can't credit it with being the original predictor either.

Oh no wait, it did do the innovative "Use Barbie Dolls for book art" stunt once

Mercury Hat posted:

This was a good video, I love the energy CJ brings. The analysis / discussion is a nice split between "Rick and Morty is irresponsible in the message it presents" and "it takes a genius level IQ etc etc" takes that are the usual ones you find. I can't remember seeing any other talks about the show that bring in the writers' creative processes. It's especially good to compare Harmon's writing philosophy about leaning away from the Deep Lore contrasted with a large part of the fanbase spinning out ever-increasingly complicated plot theories.

Optimistic video about creating art and not being afraid of what weird or bad or cringe things you might make, even if that thing ends up being a giant space incest baby.

I haven't watched Rick and Morty, but I can see a lot of Harmon's joke construction process in Community, too. And I think it is a great video on emphasizing that putting yourself out there, learning, and growing is so essential to actually creating great things.

Dawgstar posted:

"Don't negotiate with terrorists, your ego is a terrorist" is a great line. CJ is one of the few people who can get me to watch an hour+ video because it doesn't feel like an hour+.

There's that too, CJ's videos have been great at pacing and setting up ways to keep your attention even when they end up running long.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 31, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Microcline posted:

I like Joe as a critic but he probably should have just said "hey maybe I was wrong about this one"

lmfao that anyone should have to apologize for elves

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I remember following the Joseph Anderson/Sophie beef sorta closely when it was happening, because I was fans of both and wanted to understand what exactly was going on. I had been following Joseph for longer and had only recently gotten into Sophie, but generally liked their takes (especially their Last of Us 2 video).

Joseph generally does these super long, deep dive videos on games, and he had (still is?) been going through the Witcher series starting with the first game. At some point in the 4hr long video, he made a comment, sorta jokingly, about how the game had "made [him] racist" against the elves in the game. There was a little bit more nuance to that take, of course (it's a long video) but that's the thing that Sophie focused on when they were calling out Joseph.

To try and give him the benefit of the doubt -- which maybe I shouldn't, but I generally like the dude and his video essays -- I think his point was that within the fiction of the setting, the elves are portrayed as being pretty terrible, and despite him wanting to give them a chance or find some more realistic or nuanced portrayal, he felt the game made it really hard to actually like or sympathize with them. Like, even on certain missions and whatnot where you're siding with them, there's still little signs or reminders that they suck (e.g. still treating the main character like poo poo, being super hardline and bigoted toward the other races within the world, things like that). I want to say there's also "word of god" style details in the setting that make it seem like elves are intrinsically bad or otherwise irredeemable. Sorta like how Tolkien's orcs in LOTR are portrayed. I could be wrong, though, and I haven't watched Joseph's video since it was first released, so maybe I'm totally off the mark here or misremembering what he said in a more positive light because I'm biased :shrug:

Sophie's video was more about the fan reactions/interpretations of the Witcher videogames in general, but they did specifically call out Joseph in part of the video. Again, it's been a while since I watched/followed any of this, but IIRC their point was that, at a minimum, Joseph's take was problematic/eyebrow-raising considering the implications w/r/t to fantastical racism and how it relates to real world racism, which Joseph seemingly ignored or doesn't seem to have thought through. Basically, you can't just throw your hands up and say "it's all fiction, bro, it doesn't matter!" because someone in the real world -- the author -- still had to come up with the idea in the first place and also chose to put it in their story, and it's fair (if not morally imperative) for us to examine/criticize that choice.

I think Sophie's video caused a bunch of their followers to go harass Joseph, so he ended up posting a long-rear end YouTube comment under Sophie's video wherein he attempted to defend himself, which just seemed to make everything worse. He basically said: yo, you missed a lot of the context/nuance from my video which is understandable because it's 4hrs long, but still, I don't like being accused of being racist. Sophie at some point made some short, pithy reply that boiled down to: hey, I'd rather not get into a long drawn-out debate in front of everyone, so feel free to PM me if you want to continue discussing this. I don't know if he ever did, but in the meantime a bunch of Sophie's fans were dogpiling on Joseph in the replies to his comment, so he proceeded to spend the next several hours responding to tons of various people, still defending himself as much as he could. Very much a "posting through it" kinda situation...I remember reading through the comments and it was just bad all around, on his part and on the various people engaging with him. Just everyone kinda talking past each other. The main sense I got was people repeatedly calling him a racist and him being absolutely, clinically unable to NOT immediately reply to every single on of those accusations with a "no I'm not!! :qq:". Lots of discussion about "word of god" in fiction, death of the author, fantastic racism...it was interesting, in a sense, but also it was mostly a lot of contentious arguing and people treating the other side like monsters.

I think that was the extent of the matter, though. Like someone else mentioned, I think Sophie might've called him out on Twitter was well, but it was mostly just Joseph spending way too much time arguing with randos in Sophie's comments and being unable to let it go. But he eventually dropped it and I don't think Sophie ever mentioned it again. I kept on wondering if he'd try to address the issue at all in his next Witcher video, but that never came out. In general he's very much stopped producing content and has stepped away from the limelight a bit, due to other personal issues.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
was this for real an event over elf racism. how did anyone take this seriously and not laugh her off the internet

quote:

Joseph's take was problematic/eyebrow-raising considering the implications w/r/t to fantastical racism and how it relates to real world racism, which Joseph seemingly ignored or doesn't seem to have thought through

you have got to be kidding me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I apologize to the elfish community for my use of the slur 'knife ear', it was a heated D&D moment, that's not who I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZteAovHJllk
Another round of Drew Gooden buying dumb poo poo off of insta ads. Now with more scamming!