Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm not talking about them abandoning you, I'm talking about them getting killed. Anyway that's good to hear, it probably will be very rough for a while as they learn it's not gonna happen foe them but they should adjust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with one of my idiot cats? I have 2. Nona and Kneecap. I took Nona to the vet yesterday because she's been losing some hair. Nothing serious, he thinks most likely allergies and etc etc. Nona isn't the problem. It's Kneecap. Nona got really stressed and scared from the car ride and being in the carrier, and she shat and pissed. I had no choice when I got home but to give her a bath. I let her out of the carrier and let her hang out in the floor while I ran a tub of water. Once I got the tub full and a towel and all that prepared, I put her in there and she thrashed around, gave me one good slice, but all her thrashing seemed to help clean her off. So I let go and had a wet cat rocket out of there throughout the house.

Here's the issue, ever since she came out of the tub, it's almost as if Kneecap thinks she's a different cat? He gets upset and growls at her and stuff. It's been a day later now and he's still wary and growls at her. So I have no idea. I thought maybe it was the vet office smells, but he 100% was fine when I first let her out to hang around while I took about 15 minutes to get the bath prepped. He didn't freak out until after her bath and she was wet. I suspect this cat might have some mental disabilities for real, he seems pretty dumb tbh. He falls off stuff a lot and never seems to learn he can't just flop over for a pet when he's on the side of a countertop. I'm guessing things will go back to normal in another day or two, but this is mind boggling to me.

There was a similar issue one time when a neighborhood cat came up to the glass door. He flipped out and wanted to murder it so I shut the door, and he started growling at my cat, who he knows well. He eventually went back to normal by the next day at that point in time.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pretty certain this is a "you don't smell like my pal" because you washed off all the other scent markers that cats exude and rely upon strongly for intraspecies identification. Most likely it'll resolve after another day or two. If not then you may have to go through a separation/reintroduction period like they're new cats, but which can probably be accelerated.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That's weird. The thing is I wasn't even able to wash her that well, I was only able to hold her in there for maybe 30 seconds before it became a bit perilous by myself. Definitely wasn't able to scrub her down or anything, although she seemed to have gotten fairly clean regardless so who knows. He seems to be chilling out anyway, so I think it should be fine.

That said, I hope I can figure out Nona's allergy thing, her belly is looking rough. The vet also said it's possible it could be an obsessive grooming type thing too, but he was putting his money on allergies. Ordering her some special food, and I'm going to clean the house really well and change the hvac filter out. I did only just start running the heat this past month, maybe it's something from the furnace.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
The exact same thing just happened with my cats when I brought Noodle home from the vet. As you can see from the pic I posted earlier, they're like two peas in a pod but I guess the weird smells made Boppo confused and he hissed at Noodle for 2 or 3 days. Coincidentally, Boppo is not the brightest cat I've had either, lol.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yup, you can have "smells like something I hate" and "smells like nothing I know" and would elicit an adverse response. If you've washed enough to clean the poo poo and piss off a cat then you've got her good enough to make her odor ambiguous.

As far as hair loss, another goon was having the same problem and it's a toughie, hopefully it'll resolve with an cleaning, but you might have to get a bunch of testing. Allergy, fungal infection, stress, hormone issues, autoimmunity, lots of things cause alopecia and it's really hard to tell.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is it weird the vet didn't do any testing? Or maybe he just wanted me to try the hypoallergenic food first to see if that would help? I guess maybe changing her litter brand might help too. Either way, he didn't seem worried that it was anything life threatening. She's not acting weird or anything, so I don't think she's in any kind of major pain or discomfort at least. But it's a bit alarming. I literally just found almost a handful of hair she shed since yesterday, although I guess the whole vet and bath ordeal probably accelerated that a bit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is it weird the vet didn't do any testing? Or maybe he just wanted me to try the hypoallergenic food first to see if that would help? I guess maybe changing her litter brand might help too. Either way, he didn't seem worried that it was anything life threatening. She's not acting weird or anything, so I don't think she's in any kind of major pain or discomfort at least. But it's a bit alarming. I literally just found almost a handful of hair she shed since yesterday, although I guess the whole vet and bath ordeal probably accelerated that a bit.

Did they sell you the hypoallergenic food or were you supposed to pick it up somewhere else? Human physicians (real ones not naturopaths) aren't allowed to own their own pharmacies attached to their clinics for this reason.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Testing also costs money so trying to take care of the little things before you go whole hog is reasonable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m sure it’s been asked a couple of times but I’m trying to combine households and we both have cats we absolutely adore (Honda and Lucy).

Honda is about 2 and was found in my parking lot as a kitten of about 5 months. She is delightful and easygoing. About ten pounds and slightly overweight. Extremely food motivated and her scoop of wet food is one of the highlights of her day. The cat boarder I’ve used when going out of town says she’s very social.

Lucy is 10 and has chronic kidney disease. She is very high strung and sensitive but extremely loving to humans. She is absolutely not social toward other cats. Because of the CKD and some allergies, she is on a restricted diet and only allowed to eat this rabbit kibble and kangaroo wet food. She is on some laxative daily because she had some bowel problems.

Both cats are spayed. I’ve tried bringing them together slowly. One afternoon here, an overnight there. We’re trying a 3-day sleepover with them now and they’re starting to adjust well. Lots of hissing from Lucy and Honda is mostly just flopping down around her and taking it.

The question I have is if there’s any way to manage their separate food needs. Lucy doesn’t like her food very much even though she needs it, so when Honda eats Lucy tries to bully her out of the way. I just kind of hang around to put the food away when Honda is done eating. This is fine in the holidays but I won’t be able to do this forever.

To;dr cats moving in together and they have different food needs:

Is there some kind of collar-activated dispenser for cat food? Like if I put a collar on Honda and she walks up to the food it senses the proximity of the collar and opens a door so she can eat, then closes it when she leaves so Lucy doesn’t steal it and get sick? Nobody wants Lucy’s food so it doesn’t need to work for both cats, just one.

Thanks for the help!

Oh and here’s some pictures. This is Honda trying to play Spirit Island.

And Lucy dancing at me while I work:

(Bonus of Lucy because my partner didn’t like that one)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 31, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pretty cats! There absolutely are microchip activated cat feeders, here's a video with the most popular type that shows some of its limitations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 31, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall someone said that feeder DOES actually have a mode you can turn on where it'll close up when it senses a chip it doesn't know that they didn't find in that video, but then to be fair poki would've just used his body to wedge it open knowing poki.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Pretty cats! There absolutely are microchip activated cat feeders, here's a video with the most popular type that shows some of its limitations:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

Haha when I read this post I was like, "Hey, I should post the Rachel and Jun video where they try a microchip feeder with their cats" and then I clicked the link

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha when I read this post I was like, "Hey, I should post the Rachel and Jun video where they try a microchip feeder with their cats" and then I clicked the link

Oops, just changed it to embed, didn't realise it hadn't. It really is the best video for showing how they do and don't work!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Oops, just changed it to embed, didn't realise it hadn't. It really is the best video for showing how they do and don't work!

Does embed even work? They've always showed up as links for me regardless.

But yeah trying to feed more than one cat when one is a glutton can be a nightmare. I've been there - a roommate had a cat that would eat til he barfs, AND needed to eat only urinary food, and one of our cats had anxiety issues where if he didn't have constant access to food he'd start spraying around the house. Needless to say it was a nightmare and we never really found a solution. We never tried a microchip feeder, but the persistence and ingenuity of a hungry cat cannot be overstated.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 31, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Does embed even work? They've always showed up as links for me regardless.

Embed totally works, you might have an option for it switched off somewhere.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Embed totally works, you might have an option for it switched off somewhere.

Oh poo poo you're right. I had no idea, I wonder why I turned that off - must have been years ago. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

Oh and they have the tattoos instead of the chips. I’ll Google a bit for collar-activated feeder and see though. :)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Surefeed includes a collar tag, so you can in fact use it on non-chipped cats.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There are tattoos now that do what chips do? That doesn't seem possible, it'd have to be like a QR code and tattoos spread too far for that sort of precision. In any case microchip-activated feeders will also come with a little dongle to clip to a collar and I've seen people say that they aren't always the best at detecting the microchip anyway so better off with the collar dongle anyway.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

There are tattoos now that do what chips do? That doesn't seem possible, it'd have to be like a QR code and tattoos spread too far for that sort of precision. In any case microchip-activated feeders will also come with a little dongle to clip to a collar and I've seen people say that they aren't always the best at detecting the microchip anyway so better off with the collar dongle anyway.

Tattoos are the older technology, I think they just have a number that you can look up in some database. I think the chips have the same thing, your contact information isn't actually on the chip, it's just that some people find it unsightly to tattoo their cat and placing the chip is easier than tattooing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The tattoo is just a number on the inside of their ears. I assume there’s some database vets enter this number into in case the cat is found?

And yeah it looks like that chip/collar feeder is the only easily available one. Pretty expensive but I’ll call around to some shops as well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can we all agree Haku is the best cat

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Huh that's really interesting to know, I've never heard of it before. Over here we just tattoo the inside of female cat ears to indicate they've been fixed, but not any kind of ID.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone have a cat who just refuses to eat until they're full and decides to gently caress off halfway through eating their meal? Our cats can't eat each others' food so when I feed my cats I wait around until they're done (so I can keep them separated) then wash out the bowl for next time including whatever they left because they don't eat "old" food. One of my cats will usually eat a bit, then walk away, then I'll put the bowl back down in front of her and she'll end up eating more the second time. If she walks away again and I try it a third time is usually when she paws at the ground to cover it up which indicates she's done with this food. A lot of times though it's like she'll have a couple bites and that's it, then 30 minutes later she's back in bugging me for more food.

Is this pretty much only happening because I give in and feed her again, then? Since WFH started I've basically just been feeding her when she comes to bug me about it instead of sticking to a set schedule, although when she eats everything it usually ends up being the same amount of feedings per day. I've tried switching foods around to see if it's just a taste thing and I've found food she really liked that she'll gobble up in one sitting, but she kinda starts falling back to the same behavior after a couple days on the new food. Her brother is super annoying about wanting her food too which is why I'm usually standing guard, I've been toying with locking him in a different room while she eats in case that's part of it but I feel bad about having to sequester him every time she wants food.. :sigh:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lucky for you, the last few posts on this page are literally talking about that sort of situation.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

explosivo posted:

Anyone have a cat who just refuses to eat until they're full and decides to gently caress off halfway through eating their meal?

I just stumbled across this video that explains a lot about how cats eat, sorry about the mildly insufferable presenter:

https://youtu.be/AalAw9Fqhyo

Tl;dr Basically cats like to eat little portions over the day because their instinct is to hunt small animals. So you can't really expect them to just eat one meal until they're full. Can be a bit tricky when you have more than one cat, I don't have any tips for that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lucky for you, the last few posts on this page are literally talking about that sort of situation.

Thanks, I had been following along and have looked at the chip reader bowls but I wasn't sure how well it would work in my situation because one eats dry food and the other doesn't.

pidan posted:

I just stumbled across this video that explains a lot about how cats eat, sorry about the mildly insufferable presenter:

That's interesting, thanks for the link. It's kind of what I've been doing over the past year anyway I just wasn't sure if that was normal behavior or not. Sounds like she's just doing cat things.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

pidan posted:

Tl;dr Basically cats like to eat little portions over the day because their instinct is to hunt small animals. So you can't really expect them to just eat one meal until they're full. Can be a bit tricky when you have more than one cat, I don't have any tips for that.

Normal cats are grazers but there's also a well known "scarfer-barfer" type that will keep going until it's all gone.

Kitten trip report: All gates are down and both cats have free access to the entire house. I feel that things are going well overall and we have at least one confirmed incident of kitty pile. It's fascinating to watch them play because the elder cat is obviously pulling his punches: he seems to realize he's dealing with a kitten. We got a pair of cat trees so the elder can retreat to the top when it gets to be too much kitten energy. I think they're going to be good friends in the long term. :3:

Also any ideas as to what this guy is? He looks like a medium haired Russian Blue that got tabby spilled all over it:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Also any ideas as to what this guy is?

Handsome as hell

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Also any ideas as to what this guy is? He looks like a medium haired Russian Blue that got tabby spilled all over it:

That, my friend, is a good kitty! Cats don't really have distinct cross breeds in the same way as dogs do, the vast majority are just cats without any identifiable background in a specific breed. Maybe he has Russian Blue somewhere back in there, maybe not, either way he's very pretty.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Is there a term for a cat that would be a domestic shorthair but it doesn’t have short hair? The intake vet asked me if both my cats were domestic shorthairs and I was like “yeah except one’s, uh, kinda fluffy?” Our nearby pet food store hosts a local rescue that labels any cat with a medium or longer coat as a Maine Coon/Persian mix, which I find pretty funny, but I don’t want to go that route.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There’s also domestic longhair and domestic medium hair.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

Reminds me of the teenage unwed mother who showed up pregnant on my mom's doorstep years back and moved in. She was the softest cat I have ever met in my life.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It can still be a domestic shorthair, it just has the genetic trait for longer hair. It's really unlikely that every long haired cat you see is a Maine coon. The kitten lady did an interesting video about this: https://youtu.be/QIzHTDpVcJI

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

drunken officeparty posted:

There’s also domestic longhair and domestic medium hair.

Oh that makes sense, for some reason I never heard those terms before.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fabulousity posted:

i have seen a lot of cats

and this is a cat.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

That, my friend, is a good kitty! Cats don't really have distinct cross breeds in the same way as dogs do, the vast majority are just cats without any identifiable background in a specific breed. Maybe he has Russian Blue somewhere back in there, maybe not, either way he's very pretty.

Usually I'd agree, but that specific cat looks a whole lot like a Russian Blue, except that he has long hair. Unfortunately having short hair is pretty essential for a Russian Blue cat, so that cat definitely isn't one. Maybe we've found a use case for that cat DNA kit ;)

However, the vast majority of cats are just cats with no breed whatsoever, even if they kind of look like a Siamese or a Norwegian Forest Cat or a Persian, if they're not from a breeder they're just cats. Might not have any relation to any of those breeds, because all the relevant genes are also floating around in the general cat population. Now if your cat looks like a sphinx or a rex, that might be worth noting.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Fabulousity posted:

That is one good looking cat! Glad introductions went well.

I’d love a blue or black cat in the future but my partner is all about the Siamese color ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022

The face of someone who yells at the bathroom door at 3 am almost every day.