Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Taffer posted:

Does anybody actually use dpi switch buttons? Most of my mice have had them but touching that would completely wreck muscle memory, seems really impractical to me.

nope, i'm just happy for the extra rebindable button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

Does anybody actually use dpi switch buttons? Most of my mice have had them but touching that would completely wreck muscle memory, seems really impractical to me.
muscle memory isn't real & different sensitivities/dpis are useful for different things.

If all you do is desktop+fps then there's probably no need to change dpi unless you're a tac fps diehard that prefers that ~800 dpi which kind of blows with 1440p/4k monitors or multi monitor setups so you'd use 800 in-game and then higher on desktop. If you start throwing in competitive RTS/MOBA and casual stuff like ARPGs/mmos then maybe you want a second and even third dpi because changing dpi is preferable to changing windows sens/in-game sens in non-fps games.

The button isn't that useful compared to onboard memory manager if you use your mouse on a single system & supported OS. It's not for switching in real time. It's more between tasks. Sometimes there's no software for linux or macos to change dpi so having the button is nice. I use a mouse with dpi button instead of my gpro superlight with work machines (can't install gaming mouse software).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 27, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Taffer posted:

Yeah, sometimes. I play a lot of Planetside 2 and while there's mouse sensitivity you can set in the client for different things, I often find that their setting for vehicle turrets and base turrets just isn't sufficient to track and shoot aircraft at my base 1600 DPI. I set the sensitivity a bit higher for turrets in the client but I then also often switch up to 3200 or 6400 if there's planes I'm trying to shoot down in an anti-aircaft situation since they'll zoom by you and try to quickly dodge behind things for cover. Setting the default any higher would be a mistake since it's already pretty fast for ground vehicles but the game doesn't have distinct settings for ground vs. air turrets and flak vs. anything else.

I'm using the G502 with the DPI switch buttons to the left of the left main mouse button. I picked up a G703 to try it out and it's just got the one button to switch DPI cyclically. It's fine in general but I don't like not being able to switch up or down as easily. I'm also not a fan of the shape without the thumb rest that the G502 has, but the mouse works well enough besides that and shape is kind of a personal preference thing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dpi shift is good if you use a low > 40 cm/360 sensitivity and want to turn around fast

dpi shift is also good for fast mouse movement shenanigans

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Today my Logitech G Pro Wireless started to double click on the left button. I didn't notice it until I started to try to drag windows. Then it started to do it in games.

This is the first time I ever had any double click issues ever since I quit dota 2. Before I quit dota 2, it ate through so many of my mice.

I was thinking of trying to replace the switches, is it hard to do? I was thinking of buying a cheap solder kit and some different switches.

Or can I open up the mouse and try to clean out the switch/repair the switch itself? This mouse works perfectly fine otherwise and it feels like waste if I throw it out for such a great mouse

Are the Kalih GM4.0 switches still the go to?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

Today my Logitech G Pro Wireless started to double click on the left button. I didn't notice it until I started to try to drag windows. Then it started to do it in games.

This is the first time I ever had any double click issues ever since I quit dota 2. Before I quit dota 2, it ate through so many of my mice.

I was thinking of trying to replace the switches, is it hard to do? I was thinking of buying a cheap solder kit and some different switches.

Or can I open up the mouse and try to clean out the switch/repair the switch itself? This mouse works perfectly fine otherwise and it feels like waste if I throw it out for such a great mouse

Are the Kalih GM4.0 switches still the go to?

Or you can buy a presoldered replacement switch board with good switches off Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/990696414/hot-swappable-microswitch-pcb-board-for

Welp, that store is down at the moment. Ebay can find you PCBs. There is this guy doing PCBs with non-standard switches. https://ents.win/gpwpcb/

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 29, 2021

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

Or you can buy a presoldered replacement switch board with good switches off Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/listing/990696414/hot-swappable-microswitch-pcb-board-for

Welp, that store is down at the moment. Ebay can find you PCBs. There is this guy doing PCBs with non-standard switches. https://ents.win/gpwpcb/

I didn't realize PCB replacements were that cheap. I ended up looking at aliexpress also (since I can wait) and they have PCBs with Kailh GM8.0s preinstalled for ~$16 shipped. Though the shipping would take a month+. This sounds tempting now instead of soldering myself

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rabid Snake posted:

Yes, you can! Here's a guide I did.

I've done this a lot over the years, and my experience has been that while cleaning the switch isn't quite good as new, it is close. I generally feel like a cleaning lasts at least 50% and probably closer to 75% as long as the switch did originally. IE if your mouse lasted 3 years before it started double-clicking, you probably won't have to clean it more than once every 1.5 - 2 years. (If your mouse only took 9 months to start double-clicking, I recommend a garbage can.)

IMO it's much easier than resoldering new switches.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yes, you can! Here's a guide I did.

I've done this a lot over the years, and my experience has been that while cleaning the switch isn't quite good as new, it is close. I generally feel like a cleaning lasts at least 50% and probably closer to 75% as long as the switch did originally. IE if your mouse lasted 3 years before it started double-clicking, you probably won't have to clean it more than once every 1.5 - 2 years. (If your mouse only took 9 months to start double-clicking, I recommend a garbage can.)

IMO it's much easier than resoldering new switches.

Thanks! I'll try this tonight. I ordered switches for it anyways but since it'll take awhile for it to get here I'll see if this can be a temporary fix. If not, its back to my old G502

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming your warranty ran out?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

(If your mouse only took 9 months to start double-clicking, I recommend a garbage can.)

This does not bode well for my MX Master 3.

i'm contemplating buying a soldering iron and learning how to solder just so i can have a mouse that lasts longer than a year lmao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Should I bother turning off my G305, or is it not going to make much of a difference to battery life?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have to imagine it auto sleeps, doesn't it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably, but it's still using some power because you can wake the pc with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Should I bother turning off my G305, or is it not going to make much of a difference to battery life?

Yes, most gaming mice don't power save as aggressively / deeply so switching them off overnight is good.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This does not bode well for my MX Master 3.

i'm contemplating buying a soldering iron and learning how to solder just so i can have a mouse that lasts longer than a year lmao

a) def get a warranty replacement if it's doing faulty clicks. logitech won't learn until it costs them money.

b) replacement switches are no guarantee to last, because it's not really the switches that are the problem.

like if you have a mouse that's extra-terrible and dies after 9 months, the new switches will probably be better because that switch had problems unusually quickly even for a current logitech. but I doubt a replacement switch lasts 4 years. the trend of people soldering replacement switches is pretty new and the early reports of big success are just that, early.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I probably use my mice 2 - 3 times as much as normal users, so I don't know if I'd say the mouse is unusually defective. And I'm not getting full double clicks just yet, only click and drag issues. Still, it seems like the early signs are showing up sooner than my last mouse.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'm assuming your warranty ran out?

I bought it in 2018 so sadly it's warranty ran out. It's my daily driver so I'm not surprised it started to double click. I don't mind tinkering with electronics or I would've just bought a mouse with optical switches instead of trying to repair it

edit: Currently using my old Logitech G502 Proteus Core from 2014 and man it feels like a heavy brick. I do miss the sniper button for push to talk and the extra two buttons that's on the left mouse click.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

edit: Currently using my old Logitech G502 Proteus Core from 2014 and man it feels like a heavy brick. I do miss the sniper button for push to talk and the extra two buttons that's on the left mouse click.

weight was my main problem with it. i really wanted to like it because i really like those extra buttons, but something like the g305 feels so much better to use.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My G903 is double clicking or not registering clicks, which is the same thing that happened to my last mouse.

My mouse is not under warranty anymore so I'm wondering, how difficult would it be to replace the switches if I haven't soldered anything for years? And if I do, would it be a good time to replace the battery and feet since I'll be in there anyway?

I really like the G903, it had a good weight and clicking feels pretty good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

From what I've read, it won't make too much of a difference. Might lose like 1% charge overnight. I just leave mine on, but I have never bothered to actually check the battery % if I turned it off / left it on overnight.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I ordered new feet, a soldering iron and new switches for my G903. This cost approximately 40% of what a new mouse costs (because of the soldering iron mostly). I'm excited to try! Been years since I've soldered anything.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
For the new year?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Should I buy repair a $100 mouse?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I consider a mouse a disposable item but I don't know much about anything really. Do you folks just enjoy repairing things? I've never bought a new mouse and thought "the old worn out one felt way better".

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I definitely need to learn how to solder and repair (replace the switch) on my G502 because it seems like such a waste to have a perfectly functioning mouse with just 1 button not working. It's also an expensive mouse that broke 1 week out of warranty, so damned if I'm just going to chuck it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

huh posted:

I consider a mouse a disposable item but I don't know much about anything really. Do you folks just enjoy repairing things? I've never bought a new mouse and thought "the old worn out one felt way better".

a. Yes, I very much enjoy repairing things. Partly because it's really satisfying to fix a broken thing, partly because I'm a loving miser and I'll gladly waste an evening trying to fix a thing rather than spend $50.

b. A particular mouse shape definitely feels better to me, using a random generic mouse elsewhere never feels better than my home mouse. I use a mouse for long enough that I get very adapted to it. But also there's the feature set and button layout. If you have a fancy gee-whiz mouse, even if you can get another mouse with the same general shape it may not have the same extra buttons or whatever.

I use a G700 that is impossible to replace, there is no mouse on the market with the same configuration. So I'm gonna keep them (I got a 2nd back when I saw it was getting discontinued) working for as long as I possibly can.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I definitely need to learn how to solder and repair (replace the switch) on my G502 because it seems like such a waste to have a perfectly functioning mouse with just 1 button not working. It's also an expensive mouse that broke 1 week out of warranty, so damned if I'm just going to chuck it.

Seriously try the cleaning thing, it's much easier if you don't know how to solder.

A mouse switch isn't the hardest thing to solder -- the posts are nice and big -- but soldering on a PCB is not a great first project.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 31, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

huh posted:

It depends. Depending on mouse/switch it can fail in a few months or when nothing better is on the market yet. In those cases, soldering in a new switch is worth it if you feel like doing it. I'd much rather replace a switch than RMA.

I bulk order 10-20 switches for $5-$10 and I have soldering equipment from other hobbies. It takes me ~15-20 minutes to replace a switch, and most of that is taking the mouse apart and putting it back together. A switch failing can also be a good excuse to use another brand of switch, adjust button pre/post travel, replace skates, or do other mods. I'm normally too lazy to do those things, but if I'm going to repair the switch I might as well go to town.

Klyith posted:

A mouse switch isn't the hardest thing to solder -- the posts are nice and big -- but soldering on a PCB is not a great first project.
On some of the newer mice, holding the small pcb the switch is on is harder than the soldering part. I'd highly recommend a third hand, blu-tac, or masking tape to hold it down.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I just like fixing stuff and haven't found a mouse I like better. I'd try a G702, but I was already learning to solder from retro console modding anyway and it was good practice.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Quick trip report: I ended up going with the Razer Viper Ultimate to replace my Logi G604 (whose right button was beginning to register inconsistently).
  • I really like the shape. The flatter profile is much more comfortable for me.
  • The lower weight has made it more comfortable. I did not expect weight to make such a big difference in terms of comfort.
  • Logi software is less terrible than Razer Synapse. I have a Razer Core eGPU, though, so I had to have Synapse anyways.
  • I'm right handed and can easily use one button on the right-hand side. I haven't found a use for the second right-hand button yet, though--it's awkward to press, and I can't press it without moving the mouse.
  • I miss Logi's hyperwheel gimmick.
  • I slightly miss the tilt wheel (but not very much).
  • The main mouse buttons (M1 and M2) click very loudly compared to the Logi mice I've used.
  • Logi mice have better battery life.
I had considered the Logi G502 Lightspeed but didn't want to have a Transformer™ on my desk. For reference, in the past I've used:
  • MX518 wired
  • G502 wired
  • G602 wireless
  • G604 wireless
  • MX Anywhere
  • MX Anywhere 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

• The main mouse buttons (M1 and M2) click very loudly compared to the Logi mice I've used.

the basilisk was the first mouse where the loudness of the click bothered me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Loud clicks are common with current optical switches I think, the Steelseries Primes are also known for being very noisy

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Speaking of old mice, what is the name of the model that Logitech released in the years between the original MX518 and the G403? There was a wired model that had the same shape, but I have forgotten its name.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The G400?

I have/had one I got back in 2012, just replaced it with a G305 as it was getting gross and didn't work on my glass desk.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking of old mice, what is the name of the model that Logitech released in the years between the original MX518 and the G403? There was a wired model that had the same shape, but I have forgotten its name.

Do you mean the G402?

It's the evolutionary link between the MX518 and the G502. (the G400 is barely different from the 518)

I quite liked it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah yes, it was the G400. There is so much information about the relaunched MX518 that simple search queries gave me nothing.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 31, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My G400 lasted 4 and half years. Logitech sent me a G402 as a replacement, weeks before the warranty expired.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Seriously try the cleaning thing, it's much easier if you don't know how to solder.

How do you clean under the mouse buttons? I think I read somewhere that you could use a lubricant to get the switches working better. Or to use compressed air. In both cases do you just kind of try to wedge something under the mouse button and spray?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I was gonna ask if anyone had recommendations for mice with replaceable cables, as that seems to be how my mice go, but from catching up with the thread I gather the solution is just wireless. Any tips for wireless mice you can buy an extra receiver for, so I can leave it plugged in and not have to move between computers?

I come from mx518/g402 so I guess the g502 is the obvious choice, if it can do multiple receivers? Bluetooth for one would work, but my gut feeling is that Bluetooth will suck?

Also my only complaint with the 518/402 would be size, I have monster paws, are there any with a similar design but like, 10% wider?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Phosphine posted:

I was gonna ask if anyone had recommendations for mice with replaceable cables, as that seems to be how my mice go, but from catching up with the thread I gather the solution is just wireless. Any tips for wireless mice you can buy an extra receiver for, so I can leave it plugged in and not have to move between computers?

I come from mx518/g402 so I guess the g502 is the obvious choice, if it can do multiple receivers? Bluetooth for one would work, but my gut feeling is that Bluetooth will suck?

Also my only complaint with the 518/402 would be size, I have monster paws, are there any with a similar design but like, 10% wider?

I don't know of any mouse that can connect with multiple receivers, though I used to bug Goo about it years ago ITT (he worked at Logitech). However, the Logi G604 and MX Anywhere can connect to up to 3 devices: 1 via the USB receiver, and 2 via Bluetooth. The USB receiver is better, but Bluetooth isn't terrible.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Phosphine posted:

For gaming mice there's generally one receiver and they're paired. I'm running two G502 and a 703 within a few feet of each other with no issues, but they all have their own lightspeed dongles which are generally what you want for gaming as the proprietary wireless stuff is what can run as fast or faster than wired. The single dongle is different than the unifying receiver or multiple device binding since the former is for fast gaming wireless compared to the latter which are more for productivity. I have an MX Master is one of those that has support for the logitech unifying receiver but as mentioned up thread, it can pair to two other devices with bluetooth and switches between them with a button on the bottom. There's a few Logitech mice like that, but none of their gaming mice IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The G604 has that functionality too.