Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Reveilled posted:

My run as the Railskulkers is now at the point where I can form the Allclan and I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Crossrails? I saved and formed the clan so I could see the mission tree and it's, uh, a little ominous with all those "this is a great idea" lines. I think I saw earlier in the thread that the disaster for them is currently disabled?

It feels like a bit of tonal whiplash, the transition. I guess with the other clans it might fit well but the Railskulker mission tree feels fairly "serious" for want of a better word and then the Allclan has a whole bunch of very hyperbolic language and such like we've swapped over to comedy goblins. I was rather enjoying my trainspotting radical liberals so I don't know how to feel.

There's a bunch of ravelian lodges in my territory, so I hope there's an option to swap over to that when the time comes. Is that going to break anything for the Allclan missions, so far as anyone knows?

AFAICT Allclan doesn't care which religion you Are. You'll absolutely have the option to go Ravelian. I did that yesterday in my game, andI'm really getting a lot of use out of the Propagate Religion mechanic.

Agree about the tonal whiplash thought. The Allclan sound like a moderately-more functional version of the skaven (less racist, usually not literal infighting etc) , if the skaven had a unitary state. Making rocket-powered rail and sending gobbos to the moon is fun, thought.

edit: added quote now that I'm at a computer

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Ravelian is amazing for the Allclan because it meshes with their natural artificery. And yeah the 'This is a good idea' messages are superfluous right now until the disaster is reworked. One thing to note is to check the artificer estate screen anytime you think something may be missing ie. after unlocking rocket rails in the mission tree as you need to then slot it in there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is there a way to trigger Religious League War 2: Hellwar Boogaloo or is the EoA stuck as Corinthian from now on?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Denmark is a real pain in the rear end of an ally, but they are going to help me fight Poland at some point so I need them. But they keep dragging me into wars with Riga and Muscovy in which hardly any battles happen, and everyone just runs around in giant circles sieging provinces until the war ends with +/- 12% in either direction. I keep accepting because my prestige was very low, but its driving me crazy and costing me money. My land is always the land getting occupied, and my allies run off into the distance rather than fight with me or even stay near me.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think the shape of the denmark and it’s unions, and several water straights which get blocked off now and then, just causes havoc with the pathing AI, so denmark is a useful buffer with muscovy but in europe tends to get confused and ping-pong

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo you can ally Denmark? My experience is that if you start as someone Denmark can see, they will always, always, ALWAYS rival you.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Holy poo poo you can ally Denmark? My experience is that if you start as someone Denmark can see, they will always, always, ALWAYS rival you.

This but Hungary for me, doubly so if I'm the Pope.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Denmark starts with a rebel stack on one of their islands that usually spends a good 50 years reeking havoc on the Baltic coast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Welp, pretty much got a game over. A huge coalition formed against me, and I was working on improving their relations to try to cool it off. But after I dropped Denmark and Poland as my allies so I could pick up Muscovy, the coalition attacked and got me down to -100% war score. Muscovy did not come to my defense despite the fact that my entire army was far away in their country having just helped them with a war. Fuckers.

Austria tried to help but eventually had enough.

That sucked. I have -99 prestige, -99 in all MP, had to declare bankruptcy, and lost my entire army. I don't really feel like reconquering all of the land I spent the last 12 hours+ of gametime taking. I'll try again somewhere else. I was having a lot of fun, too. I guess I learned my lesson about coalitions.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 30, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Coalitions are definitely one of the big new-player killers. Upping your ImproveRelations helps reduce more AE and making sure everyone who can possibly challenge you is on long truces/massively in debt can help keep them under control.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Coalition management is huge in India games as well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also I really thought Coalitions were purely defensive. If I had known that they would attack me, I might have played different

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blue squares posted:

Also I really thought Coalitions were purely defensive. If I had known that they would attack me, I might have played different

Lol, rip

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They’re defensive in the “pre-emptive strike” sense of defensive

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I once had a great game as Novgorod, until I triggered a coalition from central Europe all the way to Korea. That front was slightly too long to deal with so I decided to throw in the towel. Total bullshit that nations who didn't even know about each others existence could join in like that however. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I find that having lots of diplo rep and improve relations helps in AE-high areas like the HRE.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

blue squares posted:

note that it's much harder to overcome a coalition if you are attacked by them rather than attack one of the members; they get a -30 modifier to settling peace if the coalition is on the offensive side. so if you suspect a coalition is about to jump you that you aren't sure you can handle, it's always better to declare on a member of the coalition and try to blitz them to get a quick white peace than to wait for them to start it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jazerus posted:

note that it's much harder to overcome a coalition if you are attacked by them rather than attack one of the members; they get a -30 modifier to settling peace if the coalition is on the offensive side. so if you suspect a coalition is about to jump you that you aren't sure you can handle, it's always better to declare on a member of the coalition and try to blitz them to get a quick white peace than to wait for them to start it

Cool, thanks. I also learned that if there is a coalition targeting me, do NOT drop my two powerful allies. I figured I was fine as long as I fought non-coalition members, but as soon as I dropped them, the coalition came for me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

blue squares posted:

Cool, thanks. I also learned that if there is a coalition targeting me, do NOT drop my two powerful allies. I figured I was fine as long as I fought non-coalition members!

Yeah that was probably the immediate cause. If a coalition has more troops than you+all your allies they will usually declare.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blue squares posted:

Cool, thanks. I also learned that if there is a coalition targeting me, do NOT drop my two powerful allies. I figured I was fine as long as I fought non-coalition members, but as soon as I dropped them, the coalition came for me.

Yeah once the AI thinks it plus its allies can take you (and your allies, excluding ones who will ignore the call to arms because they're busy or whatever) they will absolutely come for you. They usually want a comfortable margin of safety tho.

And the strength of countries you are currently fighting are kinda-sorta deducted from your own, which means that declarations of war usually come in as soon as you get into a fight with a big power (either offensive or defensive), and then they come in big batches as smaller and smaller blocs look to get in on the action.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 30, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Choosing the smallest, closest nation that's in the coalition to attack and blitzing down their capital is an easy (cheese) way to deal with them. Truce juggling is pretty vital in general though if you want to go full aggressive. You should also really only allow one religion/region to ever start crossing over the 50 AE mark and instead just attack them for money / while low AE while focusing down a single religion/region for total conquest at a time so as to avoid coalitions on two or more sides. Abuse reconquest for all it's worth! If a large nation dies to smaller ones because of your meddling go ahead and release them as a vassal and take all those cores back for negligible AE.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 30, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
the war goal for coalition wars is show superiority so you can actually win pretty quickly if you just continuously win every battle and dont bother seiging anything (since you cant separately peace coalition members)
this is why coalitions are a joke when youre prussia

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Still, the best way to deal with coalitions is to not let them form in the first place.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

You can also cheese coalitions by giving away your allies' land in the peace deal screen, rather than condeding any of your own land or money.

TBH the big thing about the HRE is that you just have to expand very slowly (relative to other regions) because all the HRE mechanics bump up aggressive expansion massively. Then after a century or so, the region has been split religiously by the reformation (reducing AE), there's been some level of consolidation of lots of little countries into fewer medium-sized countries (reducing the potential number of coalition members), and whatever country you're playing as is usually big and strong enough to stomp on a coalition of medium-sized HRE members, unless it also includes 2 or 3 great powers.

If you're a bit lucky and you keep an eye on who the emperor and the electors are, you can also just dissolve the HRE fairly early on. The rule (iirc) is just that you or your war allies need to control (either by being an elector or occupying the land) the capitals of all the electors + the emperor. If it lines up right sometimes you can just ally a bunch of electors and start 2 or 3 easy wars to loop the rest of them and the emperor into wars with you, beat them via occupation and dissolve the HRE, and save yourself a billion hours of hassle waiting for AE to go down.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Red Bones posted:

If you're a bit lucky and you keep an eye on who the emperor and the electors are, you can also just dissolve the HRE fairly early on. The rule (iirc) is just that you or your war allies need to control (either by being an elector or occupying the land) the capitals of all the electors + the emperor. If it lines up right sometimes you can just ally a bunch of electors and start 2 or 3 easy wars to loop the rest of them and the emperor into wars with you, beat them via occupation and dissolve the HRE, and save yourself a billion hours of hassle waiting for AE to go down.

So this is how elective imperium dies: with sighs of frustrated relief.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Quorum posted:

So this is how elective imperium dies: with sighs of frustrated relief.

If Napoleon had clicked that little button in the HRE window earlier, he wouldn't have had to fight all those coalition wars.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was having a hard time deciding whom to play after Brandenburg so I did Byzantines as a lark knowing I would certainly fail and didn’t read any guides (of course I did fail). I decided on Ethiopia but just couldn’t stop thinking about Bburg… unfinished business!

So I’m back at it and doing it right this time. I’m going to play nicer this time and hell maybe even become emperor myself

I’d give Anbennar another shot if I could figure out how to make the text larger like I can with vanilla

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 31, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

blue squares posted:

I’d give Anbennar another shot if I could figure out how to make the text larger like I can with vanilla

BTW if you find out, please let me know. I want to do more Anbennar playthroughs but my eyes are loving dying trying to do that at 1440p, and the UI scale function is in beta for good reason.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You'd have to write a whole new ui mod, probably. Anbennar has tons of custom UI.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I really wish force converting a country didn’t cost exactly the same as vassalising/annexing them. It feels so silly that these cost the exact same given how one is much more beneficial to the player most of the time. Even if it capped out at 100% so that it was always an option that would be better; it feels very silly that we had this massive period called the wars of religion when half the participants would probably have been totally ineligible for forced conversion due to their sheer size.

I’ve been pushing Ravelianism pretty hard in my Railskulker game but it’s driving me up the wall invading a place to convert it and then it’s like 107% warscore to convert. I don’t even want to go on some mad conquest spree, but I’m forced to cause a client state is the only way to reliably get someone of the right religion!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So just making sure, but you know you can spread Ravelianism through trade, yeah? As long as you're 50% or more trade power in the node you can convert the entire thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rynoto posted:

So just making sure, but you know you can spread Ravelianism through trade, yeah? As long as you're 50% or more trade power in the node you can convert the entire thing.

Yeah, I'm in the Serpentspine, so while I'm using that to convert the entirety of my own provinces, it's less feasible for me to do in Escann since those nodes are all upstream from me and would likely require me to conquer a whole bunch of the region for the trade power. The trade spread doesn't work on the Bulwari religion either and Jaddari has helpfully converted most of the centaurs to the Jadd, leaving only Rahen as a place that might work for converting other nations, sadly.

As is I'm just creating client states and having them do the work for me, it just feels faintly a little ridiculous that enemy nations are more willing to give me 90% of their country in a peace treaty than they are to just, I dunno, abdicate in favour of a relative of the right religion.

Like, this is more of a general EU4 moan than an Anbennar one--imagine if France had gone to war with England with the explicit goal of restoring Catholicism and won that war very convincingly, should they get to the peace table and find that restoring catholicism is impossible in England, but hey, they're willing to give up the south of the country for peace instead? Such is the world where force conversion costs the same as annexation. Make the cost cap out at 100%, I say.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I think I hosed up. I wanted to get the Japanese Christian achievement waited for the event and then clicked the button - but there seem to be no events to help you convert your country?

As I haven’t taken religious ideas am I just doomed to not ever have religious unity? My single missionary can only do so much.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I see the 13th Ghost Division of Shan is doing well! :ghost:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sri.Theo posted:

So I think I hosed up. I wanted to get the Japanese Christian achievement waited for the event and then clicked the button - but there seem to be no events to help you convert your country?

As I haven’t taken religious ideas am I just doomed to not ever have religious unity? My single missionary can only do so much.

Are you right at the end of the game or something? I’d have thought even just one missionary could convert japan given I dunno, a century or two, and if not, just take religious ideas next? There’s lots of things you can do to speed conversion up even without religious ideas. Keep stability at max, have an inquisitor advisor, make sure everything is stated, accept the cultures you’re converting (juggle accepted cultures if need be), spam cathedrals

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's still a bad idea to form Japan, right? I remember that there was something about the shogunate government type letting you have infinite vassals.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

Just take religious ideas then.... You can abandon an idea you already have if you need.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
To add onto what everyone else is saying, now that you're Christian you should be able to become Defender of the Faith as well, which gives (among other things) an extra missionary and -20% missionary maintenance cost.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

It's still a bad idea to form Japan, right? I remember that there was something about the shogunate government type letting you have infinite vassals.

Daimyo swarm is ideal if you're trying to do a Ryukyu WC or something, but I don't think forming Japan is "bad" at all. It's just a bit of a wet fart compared to the daimyo swarm and doesn't even get more than an average idea set. Most of the popular daimyo tags are better off keeping their starting ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m officially burned out on Brandenburg. Playing inside the HRE is really not my cup of tea I guess; the tangled web of alliances and AE, and my constant struggles with manpower due to uprisings and the wars that Austria and Poland call me into, not to mention my own, just make the game go at a pace I don’t like and I feel boxed in on all sides by alliances.