Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I've been hearing good things about Foundry lately. Is it good for most things?

If it is, I'm wondering what steps I'd need to take to get it set up to facilitate games of Nobilis/Glitch. Based on my looking at the site, getting a module together would want a programmer. Are there people who do that kind of thing freelance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I've been hearing good things about Foundry lately. Is it good for most things?

If it is, I'm wondering what steps I'd need to take to get it set up to facilitate games of Nobilis/Glitch. Based on my looking at the site, getting a module together would want a programmer. Are there people who do that kind of thing freelance?

There's two components to Foundry: setting up the server, and setting up the game.

Setting up the server is pretty easy, assuming the GM has a nice computer. It's mostly "follow the installation instructions", though if you gently caress something up or have some weird configuration, you end up in "fixing computers" territory. If the GM is not the host, then you either need to set it up on a server (a computer thing), or you need to have a player with a nice computer who turns on the game for the GM to do their work.

Setting up the game is easy if someone else has made a systems module for it. I don't see any Moran modules on their, so yeah, that's going to be a programming thing and a pain in the rear end.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
L5R guy with a scorpion clan mon tat did a mass shooting. So just so you guys know.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sixth-person-dies-after-deadly-denver-killing-spree-police-say

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

The pdf also included a coupon code for their line of "gaming scents" to really set the mood of any tabletop game night.

You all meet in *checks scent supply feverishly* an Italian restaurant, the waiter there warns you that they’ve been having a rat problem in the public park.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 29, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So why is Elysium the Bath & Body Works?

[Storyteller shifts nervously.]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fallorn posted:

L5R guy with a scorpion clan mon tat did a mass shooting. So just so you guys know.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sixth-person-dies-after-deadly-denver-killing-spree-police-say
This sucks. Also his tat looks hugely generic if you don't know what you're looking at, and I sure couldn't recognize it even knowing what L5R is. What a loving jackass though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The big problem with Foundry is that it's exposing a server written in Node/JavaScript on your personal computer. That's potentially pretty dangerous, although there's ways around it. You can also get hosted Foundry but the cost is the same as the highest level of Roll20.

It seems to be heavily going for PF2e support, and it is better at that than Roll20, although not ideal (for some reason status trackers never feel the need to track when statusses end, which can be an important issue. Oh, and they always forget that PF2e has one naggy little rule, the Corrosive rune, which means you have to track HP for everyone's armor. I don't know why they put that in. This isn't Hackmaster.)

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a VTT for an abstract TotM game but there's no reason it couldn't support them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

The big problem with Foundry is that it's exposing a server written in Node/JavaScript on your personal computer. That's potentially pretty dangerous, although there's ways around it. You can also get hosted Foundry but the cost is the same as the highest level of Roll20.

Could be worse. Could be Java! :v:

quote:

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a VTT for an abstract TotM game but there's no reason it couldn't support them.

It can be helpful for sharing more impressionistic images, even if you're not moving tokens around. And then, while you're there, might as well have a diceroller, right? And a way of pointing things out to other people?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

It seems to be heavily going for PF2e support, and it is better at that than Roll20, although not ideal (for some reason status trackers never feel the need to track when statusses end, which can be an important issue. Oh, and they always forget that PF2e has one naggy little rule, the Corrosive rune, which means you have to track HP for everyone's armor. I don't know why they put that in. This isn't Hackmaster.)

My hosted foundry (through forge-vtt) was $4 CAD a month, which was less than the middle level of Roll20.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

There is literally 0 chance I would ever track that

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

hyphz posted:

There are guides to using the free tier of cloud services like Oracle or Amazon to host Foundry externally for free.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

bewilderment posted:

There are guides to using the free tier of cloud services like Oracle or Amazon to host Foundry externally for free.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Haven't had a chance to test it under full use yet, but I've been impressed overall

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hyphz posted:

Player facing (and DM only) notes and journal entries.
Also bigger maps and easier transitions between them. If I recall correctly roll20 doesn't support having players on different maps, foundry does.
A friend is running Blades in the dark in both foundry and roll20. Ironically roll20's blades character sheets and rule support is better, so we're using foundry for the fluffy stuff and roll20 for the crunch, which is pretty much the opposite of how I'd usually pitch the two VTTS.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I haven’t run anything on a grid or real map in ages, but it can still be useful to be able to like back-of-napkin rough sketch out some sort of local geography just for clarity.

Or I had a short-lived roll20 game years ago where I’d sometimes just throw up a map, ask players to draw any stuff they want on it and then go and have a smoke or something. It lead to some cool set-pieces cause it basically gave my players the chance to just spitball their ultimate final showdown setting, and the amount of times they’d draw dongs on the map was waaaaaaaaaay lower than I thought it was going to be.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rand Brittain posted:

I've played about half a dozen different games on Foundry so far with different GMs and the only consistent thing, across every game and system, is that the GM has had to sink hours and hours getting things setup and configured, and then fight the system constantly from there.

It does a lot of neat things (and a lot of things I'd rather it didn't), but just using R20 for game lines with decent support has been faster and cleaner, even if there's some manual button pushing.

I'd tell you to just try it out, but I don't think they've got anything like a trial/demo yet.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

The pdf also included a coupon code for their line of "gaming scents" to really set the mood of any tabletop game night.

Adventure Scents crack me up. I went to their booth a couple Gen Cons back and did not bring back any gamer potpourri, but I did get this themed cookbook of equal utility;

https://oddfishgames.com/products/cooking-with-dice-the-acid-test

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Parkreiner posted:

Adventure Scents crack me up. I went to their booth a couple Gen Cons back and did not bring back any gamer potpourri, but I did get this themed cookbook of equal utility;

https://oddfishgames.com/products/cooking-with-dice-the-acid-test

What are your thoughts on the cookbook, I am considering picking up the pdf maybe some day but definitely not anytime soon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I've played about half a dozen different games on Foundry so far with different GMs and the only consistent thing, across every game and system, is that the GM has had to sink hours and hours getting things setup and configured, and then fight the system constantly from there.

It does a lot of neat things (and a lot of things I'd rather it didn't), but just using R20 for game lines with decent support has been faster and cleaner, even if there's some manual button pushing.

I'd tell you to just try it out, but I don't think they've got anything like a trial/demo yet.

idk, aside from learning to use the UI it has been pretty smooth sailing for me with PF2

In general if you aren't sure about how to do something in foundry you can just end up doing the rolls manually and it's nbd just like you would anywhere else

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 30, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It seems like it comes up constantly: while I'd have zero knowledge to write an OP, do folks think there'd be value in a VTT thread? A thread specifically to cover all the virtual tabletops, exactly what they can do, how to set them up, how each one works with different games, pros and cons, all that poo poo?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leperflesh posted:

It seems like it comes up constantly: while I'd have zero knowledge to write an OP, do folks think there'd be value in a VTT thread? A thread specifically to cover all the virtual tabletops, exactly what they can do, how to set them up, how each one works with different games, pros and cons, all that poo poo?

It can't hurt, though might need to be something remade now and then instead of a megathread. Since I can't see an OP being useful 3 or 4 years after it's written when it comes to reviewing the VTT landscape

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The information would be valuable, but I'm not sure a thread would sustain enough of a rate of posting to be usefully visible unless it was stickied.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I can contribute to the Foundry section, I've been using it for a year for few different systems.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've been interested in Fari https://fari.app/ recently as a 'no frills' app.

It started off as a Fate VTT but now it supports some other big systems, for an extremely limited definition of 'support': premade character sheets (with room to add in custom skills for games like Fate and DnD), a dice roller and that's basically it. Has a whiteboard integrated; does not have any form of login or local storage. If you want persistency you save the file and then next session you load the file back up.

Seems interesting for when you just want a game and don't want too much fuss.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Coolness Averted posted:

Player facing (and DM only) notes and journal entries.
Also bigger maps and easier transitions between them. If I recall correctly roll20 doesn't support having players on different maps, foundry does.
A friend is running Blades in the dark in both foundry and roll20. Ironically roll20's blades character sheets and rule support is better, so we're using foundry for the fluffy stuff and roll20 for the crunch, which is pretty much the opposite of how I'd usually pitch the two VTTS.

I've several times heard that the BitD support in Roll20 is considered an exemplar of the best support it can provide for a game.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yup, anything that group of folks has done (Blades in the Dark, Band of Blades, Agon) has gotten best-in-class Roll20 support. Ironsworn and Starforged also have absurdly good Roll20 sheets, to the point where those games probably owe their popularity to it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

bewilderment posted:

I've been interested in Fari https://fari.app/ recently as a 'no frills' app.

Huh. I had no idea they had a VTT because I've been using them as a directory of games with SRDs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any games that have really stand-out support, particularly in terms of automation, on one VTT or another?

I was recently disappointed by Foundry VTT's support for D&D 4E* but I hear LANCER has official support, and at this point I'd much rather run a good-enough system with automated bookkeeping / stat block importing / rules enforcement through a VTT than a great one with none.

*there's a third-party module being worked on by one guy, loaded with spelling mistakes and "that hasn't been implemented yet" error messages -- still pretty impressive for hobbyist/volunteer work, but not good enough for me to try to migrate my group over from roll20 to use it

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Like 90% of VTT scripts are done by volunteers, it's just that the structure required (especially in Roll20) is so goddamn messy that it's difficult for them to share work.

I've wondered about this for a while for character generators but almost any generic character generator comes down to a horrible inner platform because of the amount of exceptions in most RPG rules.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
VTT really suffers from the fact that there's no "clear winner" in terms of features, ease of use, and cost. No reason to really invest in one platform when there are a half dozen of them and your userbase is split between them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

ninjoatse.cx posted:

VTT really suffers from the fact that there's no "clear winner" in terms of features, ease of use, and cost. No reason to really invest in one platform when there are a half dozen of them and your userbase is split between them.

There being no clear winner is a good thing - where there is one everything rapidly stagnates. The problem is much more that portability differences means that people can't easily move between them and they all share many common traits.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was recently disappointed by Foundry VTT's support for D&D 4E* but I hear LANCER has official support, and at this point I'd much rather run a good-enough system with automated bookkeeping / stat block importing / rules enforcement through a VTT than a great one with none.

Lancer doesn't have 'official' support in the same way that, say, Free League has official modules for T2K or Forbidden Lands. It's just worked on by fans.

After a little time of reading guides I managed to get something like this set up as kind of a snapshot of the addons I installed beyond just the Lancer rules support module:

The Barbrawl module handles the HP and heat bars.
In the top right is the Token Action HUD which was set up for DnD5e originally but has Lancer support, so I can click Weapons->Assault Rifle or Systems->Siege Stabilizers.
On the bottom left is the action tracker. It doesn't actually hook into anything or do anything, it just helps you click to keep track of what actions you've taken.
The hover-over tooltip is Token Tooltip Alt which is set up nicely to show all the relevant stats when hovered over.

And yes, the game supports full COMPCON importing for PCs. Since NPCs can't be exported you still have to manually 'create' those, but at least you can upload your own LCPs so you have access to whatever you would have in CompCon.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

yeah there is. tabletop simulator baby!!!!!!!!!! lets go!!!!!!!!!! (moving poorly rendered 3d model of sonic that someone insisted they should use for a fig glitches collision and causes a nearby tree to fly around the screen violently and lags everyone)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

pog boyfriend posted:

yeah there is. tabletop simulator baby!!!!!!!!!! lets go!!!!!!!!!! (moving poorly rendered 3d model of sonic that someone insisted they should use for a fig glitches collision and causes a nearby tree to fly around the screen violently and lags everyone)

My players discovered the table flip button before I did :eng99:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

That is a good thing! One of the worst things about the modern internet is how most services are coalesced into a single provider.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What are your thoughts on the cookbook, I am considering picking up the pdf maybe some day but definitely not anytime soon.

I haven’t actually used it or anything, it was more of a self-gag-gift. I’ll post more if I can figure out where I put it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's kinda not a good thing. The closest analogies are video game consoles if everyone would need to have the same console to play together. Crossplay is much better for the lifecycle of any given game, but barring that, having everyone on one system is the best way for a gaming system to thrive.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's kinda not a good thing. The closest analogies are video game consoles if everyone would need to have the same console to play together. Crossplay is much better for the lifecycle of any given game, but barring that, having everyone on one system is the best way for a gaming system to thrive.

Well, that's a reverse implication. If everyone is playing one system by definition it is thriving. But it is also probably strangling technology development, since competitors that might innovate are locked out by network effect. This of course is already the case for game systems (D&D) and software tools for some systems (Pathbuilder)

Honestly with most VTTs being able to play together only matters if there's a cost for players, otherwise downloading a new client or visiting a different URL isn't much of a problem.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think most of the innovation needs to come on the end for the person running the game. Better features with the least complexity possible. An intuitive interface with resources at your fingertips would be a godsend, but there are only a few VTTs for a few systems for a few scenarios where that exists. It should really be strived for.

You can build your own with those in mind, but then..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Except no crossplay is specifically because a clear winner (in previous gens Microsoft, currently Sony) realized stopping crossplay hurts the competition more than it would help them.

If WotC's official stuff was an incredibly small slice of the pie, part of the way they'd have to lure you into buying stuff through their online service would be saying "buy the digital version of this book/pay a sub and you can import everything into the following VTTS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I think most of the innovation needs to come on the end for the person running the game. Better features with the least complexity possible. An intuitive interface with resources at your fingertips would be a godsend, but there are only a few VTTs for a few systems for a few scenarios where that exists. It should really be strived for.

Yes, this seems to be a classic problem too. Most VTTs are heavily chat driven and involve a lot of typing in search boxes but they will not take the jump into being completely keyboard driven because it's seen as "unfriendly" when it's actually just removing blinkenlights.