Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nah if I did the math right, you take both your heights and divide by two! That's precisely why everyone with a physical difference like eye color or skin color end up with a perfect 50/50 baby.

The most common genetic cause is a dominant gene, so it's exactly 50% chance of any baby being a little person as well in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

bird with big dick posted:

Did anyone in the comments tell this guy that he is what’s known as a “pay pig”?

Not sure about "pay pig", but "sugar daddy" was thrown out a hell of a lot!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Help, my partner just learned she is actually able to orgasm and now she wants to do it together!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for having a drink at the work Christmas party?

quote:

I (24M) just finished my bachelors' in industrial engineering and landed my first job at a firm making ~$120K. It's a good job, but a bit boring. My boss Ted (42M) is pretty cool, but the rest of the firm is in their 50s and 60s, and rather stuffy.

The Christmas "party" took place last Monday, and was not a party but rather a catered Italian food luncheon that took place at 12PM in the conference room. I had a hunch it was going to be dry, and Ted confirmed my suspicions when he pulled me aside the Friday before and told me there would be no alcohol at the party since the head of the company, Hepzebiah (56F), was extremely religious and believed alcohol to be against the teachings of God (lol).

I ended up bringing in a nice bottle of Scarpetta and poured out a glass in the bathroom beforehand. This is the point where Ted walked in and caught me, and then proceeded to join me in finishing off the rest of the bottle. We probably would have been okay had we stopped there, but Ted got tipsy enough to reveal he had brought a bottle of Everclear. Long story short, 2 guys from accounting caught/joined us, and the 4 of us ended up at the luncheon table with glasses of Everclear instead of water. We were a bit rowdy at that point, but a lot of people were having a good time, and I doubt we would've been noticed - that is, until Ted spilled his Everclear all over Hepzebiah.

She LOST it. She began shrieking, calling him names, saying he was a worthless employee - the whole 9. To deflect her anger, he happily volunteered myself and the other 2 guys as his partners in crime. She wrote myself, Ted, and the other 2 guys up for our behavior, and is having us meet with HR after the holidays. Furthermore, this somehow got out to my family, and my parents think I am an rear end in a top hat for getting Ted drunk. However, I'm conflicted on whether I am really an rear end in a top hat since it turns out Hepzebiah was the only one who was really upset. Apparently the rest of the firm was not really as stuffy as I'd judged them to be, and most of the people at the party WERE hitting the happy juice too, but they just weren't dumb enough to get caught.

Also, Ted is in more trouble than the rest of us, since he's in a managerial position. My family says it's my fault he is in trouble since I brought the Scarpetta (gateway drug). My reasoning is that, since Ted is my boss and he okayed it, then it's not my fault. Also, it's not my fault that Ted decided to drink my wine and DEFINITELY not my fault that he brought a bottle of vodka in.

Reddit, AITA?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its noon on a Monday why are you getting drunk with people you don't like? Why did you think an office party at noon on a Monday was going to be anything but dry?

I'm so confused and annoyed.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

multiple people drinking everclear like it’s a glass of water

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Why the hell did Ted have a bottle of everclear

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nothing weird about drinking wine in the bathroom before a lunchtime work party

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ravenfood posted:

Its noon on a Monday why are you getting drunk with people you don't like? Why did you think an office party at noon on a Monday was going to be anything but dry?

I also would not get drunk with people whose company I dislike, but I can easily understand someone else's reason for doing so.

And I'm guessing the dinner was on noon at monday because monday morning was the last day of work before breaking for Christmas. This year's Christmas dinner would have been on a tuesday at 2PM at my work, because we had the rest of the week off, and while it's officially just a nice lunch it is fully expected that everyone will get as drunk and hang out for as long as they like.

I mean OP and his boss are idiots for thinking water glasses filled with Everclear are ever a good idea, and polishing off a whole bottle of wine on a bathroom break isn't too hot either. There's a lot of stupid in this story but it is entirely on OP and his confederates.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bottom line of professionalism as once related to me: you can drink while on duty, but you cannot be drunk while on duty. Sometimes it's okay to break a dumb rule, but if you get caught then by definition you weren't sensible while breaking that rule.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

Tell me you drive drunk on a regular basis without telling me you drive drunk on a regular basis

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We were drinking glasses of Everclear like water, but nobody could tell we were drunk!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I can only speak from personal experience. But my work Christmas parties usually involve the people who are off the clock getting hammered, and the people who are on the clock sitting around awkwardly during the gift exchange before getting back to their job. This year I was working and couldn’t drink but our boss cooked some good food by herself and I sat next to an off the clock employee who doesn’t drink and so we had an equally frustrating time. I got an air fryer and gave it to somebody else because I didn’t want it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Gotta start asking yourself questions when you're drinking wine in the bathroom at work. Bathrooms are for sleeping

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol jeopardizing my $120k job by getting drunk in the daytime in front of my uptight teetotaling boss.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Human Tornada posted:

Lol jeopardizing my $120k job by getting drunk in the daytime in front of my uptight teetotaling boss.

It's this lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

Tell me you're an alcoholic without telling me you're an alcoholic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Lots of people hate their jobs and see the office Christmas party as a way to out frustrations passive aggressively with the thin excuse to drink on company time. No one in this story is smart but I understand the emotional motivation.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Bottom line of professionalism as once related to me: you can drink while on duty, but you cannot be drunk while on duty. Sometimes it's okay to break a dumb rule, but if you get caught then by definition you weren't sensible while breaking that rule.

If MadMen taught you nothing else, it's this.

AITA for I tell my FSIL that it's my fiance and I wedding and she doesn't get a say?

quote:

I'm dyslexic

I proposed to my boyfriend on Christmas Eve and it's barely been a week and SIL is acting like it's her wedding.

Firstly. she wants us to hire her friends to be our celebrant, but she was judgemental and and rude. (Like come on 85% of all gay couples meet on Grindr)

Secondly. Fiance is really into yin and yang symbol and wanted us to be dressed accordingly eg. I'd be in an all black 3 piece suit with a white tie and fiance in all white with a black tie. She goes on about how we gay and we have to incorporate the pride flag. ( Like hell we do, and I know I'm going to get some hate for this but I hate the design of the pride flag)

Thirdly. Fiance wants to walk down the aisle with he's dad, however fiance was in a car accident that left him with irreversible nerve damage below both knees and he relies heavily on a wheelchair but can walk short distances with a walker. He wanted to decorate his walker with white flowers to be his walker would be his "bouquet". Well SIL started going on about how it would look horrible and that he should just stand at the altar and I walk down the aisle so it wouldn't ruin photos.( Fiance has always been insecure about he's chair. So I know that comment hurt him)

I lost my temper after that and said that this is my fiance and I's wedding and she doesn't get to make decisions for us and, if we wanted her opinion we'd ask for it. SIL got upset and left saying that "I was only trying to help". Fiance a little mad at me but, also thankful for saying something to her. I'm starting to feel bad because in her own way she was trying to help.

AITA?

NGL, I want to see a yin-yang rainbow wedding outfit.

AITA for refusing to clean the cat-litter box?

quote:

So my mom (42) has asked me (nb18) to clean the litter box many times now, and for the last few times I’ve blatantly refused to do so. We have 8 cats and only 2 litter boxes. Aka, they are constantly filled with cat pee etc. I came home after a few days and once again she asked me to clean the litter box, this time blaming it on the fact that she doesn’t have the time to do it herself. Mind you, I have 3 siblings and a dad who works from home half the time. I also have to do a bunch of other chores, even though I don’t actually live there anymore. I moved out a month or so ago, and I have to travel 2 hours to get from my house to theirs. Yet she keeps asking me to do the chores she gave me before.

After refusing last time, she hasn’t really talked to me and the times she did say something it was either about more chores or a very short answer to whatever I said.

So, AITA for not cleaning the litter box?

In comments OP says they moved out in November but keep coming back because the parents would live in a landfill otherwise.

I used to have a neighbor who was good save one thing, which I found out when I house-sat for her: she had 10-12 cats. And instead of litter boxes, she had two of those large wading plastic pools filled with litter. Each one had to be cleaned multiple times a day. The house reeked of cat piss, and the cats were horribly behaved (I say this even as I have several cats that are assholes) to the point if you left any food, any kind, out, they'd shred the bag and leave poo poo all over. I can't imagine in that post where else the cats are pissing.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 31, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Midnight Voyager posted:

very relevant when we're talking about white people who go out of their way to point out it's not a cultural thing piercing their kids without their spouse's approval.

Piercing Pagoda is part of my cultural identity

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

greazeball posted:

We were drinking glasses of Everclear like water, but nobody could tell we were drunk!
Just drinking this glass of water, commenting on how much it burns, just a glass of water, WOOOO YEAH that hits hard, just water here.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

"My family says it's my fault he is in trouble since I brought the Scarpetta (gateway drug)"

His family is either full of morons or they just straight up don't like him and are happily seizing the thinnest excuse to berate him. Yeah sure, his manager brought a whole bottle of vodka to a party just to admire the design of the bottle until the wicked OP tempted him and lead him into sin with his cheap wine. Why the gently caress would they go out of their way to defend the manager over their family member when the manager is a grown man who took responsibility for himself?

EDIT: A person with more power and influence over the OP than vice versa as well...

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 31, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And I'm guessing the dinner was on noon at monday because monday morning was the last day of work before breaking for Christmas. This year's Christmas dinner would have been on a tuesday at 2PM at my work, because we had the rest of the week off, and while it's officially just a nice lunch it is fully expected that everyone will get as drunk and hang out for as long as they like.

I mean OP and his boss are idiots for thinking water glasses filled with Everclear are ever a good idea, and polishing off a whole bottle of wine on a bathroom break isn't too hot either. There's a lot of stupid in this story but it is entirely on OP and his confederates.

Honestly I'd be willing to bet that the party is noon on a Monday as a desperate last resort to try to have a party without the raging alcoholics that make up most of the company getting shitfaced and making a scene.

(I wonder when we'll reach the point in the drinking derail where some goon will wander in and tell us that downing a 12oz glass of straight Everclear at a work lunch is good and normal and why does everyone always fly off the handle and start flinging hyperboles about alcoholism)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Drinking in a bathroom is pathetic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xachariah posted:

"My family says it's my fault he is in trouble since I brought the Scarpetta (gateway drug)"

His family is either full of morons or they just straight up don't like him and are happily seizing the thinnest excuse to berate him. Yeah sure, his manager brought a whole bottle of vodka to a party just to admire the design of the bottle until the wicked OP tempted him and lead him into sin with his cheap wine. Why the gently caress would they go out of their way to defend the manager over their family member when the manager is a grown man who took responsibility for himself?

EDIT: A person with more power and influence over the OP than vice versa as well...

This probably isn't a common sentiment, but vodka would have been a safer choice here.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

(I wonder when we'll reach the point in the drinking derail where some goon will wander in and tell us that downing a 12oz glass of straight Everclear at a work lunch is good and normal and why does everyone always fly off the handle and start flinging hyperboles about alcoholism)

I'll do the opposite if you like. I'm definitely still classed as a heavy drinker by most standards although I've got it far more under control these days and I still think this entire story is shocking. If you can't make it through a midday get together without getting drunk secretly alone in the toilets then you have huge issues. Reminds me of my ex, who refused to do any kind of outing that didn't involve drinking and would start the day with a few beers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

How does it rate versus arrested for smoking weed in the fire escape stairs at a company party

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That's just medicine

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

sugar mouse posted:

I'll do the opposite if you like. I'm definitely still classed as a heavy drinker by most standards although I've got it far more under control these days and I still think this entire story is shocking. If you can't make it through a midday get together without getting drunk secretly alone in the toilets then you have huge issues. Reminds me of my ex, who refused to do any kind of outing that didn't involve drinking and would start the day with a few beers.

100% same.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nothing could prove that is more authentic than the comment about hating the pride flag. That's classic gay, right there. There's a common joke about 'remaking' the various flags to be more accurately representative of being queer, ya know, with dinosaurs and lasers and poo poo.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for setting a glitter trap to catch my mother in law trying to snoop?

quote:

For some weird reason my MIL really wants to go into our bedroom whenever she comes over. On one occasion I followed her as she went upstairs (i was going to get something for my child as the bedrooms are upstairs) and she walked past the bathroom on the main floor and up the stairs behind it. She didn’t hear me and I caught her walking straight into my room and rifling through bills on my dresser. She denied snooping (even though I’d just watched her do it) and said she was just going to use our bathroom because she couldn’t find the other ones. She walked right past the one on the main floor and another one in the upstairs hallway to go into our bedroom. Since that happened, I installed an exterior doorknob that requires a key on our bedroom door and one on the door to our office/spare bedroom.

However, she’s still always “forgetting” where the bathroom is and trying the bedroom and office door. This really ticks me off. My husband says that I just get annoyed at this because everything she does drives me crazy and since we’ve put locks on the rooms we don’t want her in, there isn’t really a problem anymore.

Well over the holidays we had my in laws over for dinner and before they came I was searching for the bedroom keys. We hadn’t used them in a while since we only lock the doors when MIL comes over. My husband told me we didn’t need to lock the doors since she wouldn’t try to get into the rooms and I insisted that she would because she loves to snoop. We went back and forth and decided to cover the doorknobs in super fine glitter to see if she tried them.

I did this once before when husband didn’t believe me about the snooping to prove she’d been in the rooms. Last time she ignored the glitter and we didn’t say anything about it but then my husband couldn’t deny that she’d tried to snoop. So this time I covered the knobs in glitter and for the office went a touch further and rigged a little folder of glitter over the door to the office before the in laws came over. I left it one side unlocked (French doors) and it was set so if you walked in the room you would get covered in glitter.

Husband goes out of his way to show his mom the main floor bathroom when they got here and specifically asks his parents and sister not to go upstairs. There’s a baby gate so the kids can’t get upstairs either.

Well guess who had to go to the bathroom and got covered in glitter and had it all over their hands and hair? She completely lost it and started screaming at me so I yelled back and now my husband is saying I went too far and I’m the rear end in a top hat. MIL also says I’m the rear end in a top hat but SIL says I didn’t do anything wrong and MIL deserved it for snooping. FIL is Switzerland. Apparently her car is ruined now too because it’s covered in glitter that she cant get cleaned up. So AITA?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

sugar mouse posted:

Yeah, if this were me on the story, I'd feel like I hit a real life low, sneaking drinks in the space designed for making GBS threads. Like goddamn. Booze isn't even illegal it just requires proper context to be appropriate, so if you're breaking that far out of context just to knock it back, you have a problem.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does someone have the mad med guy who wanted to be don draper but only the drinking at work parts?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Why the hell did Ted have a bottle of everclear

Ted is an alcoholic and bad at hiding it. OP is young and foolish enough to still believe that smuggling booze into work to day drink makes Ted fun instead of a loser which is why he refers to him as "sort of cool" and the other (sober) workers as "uptight".

There is a separate issue happening whereby OP has no frame of reference for industry Xmas parties (this is a common issue for young professionals). When his much older colleagues say "we had a really wild time" he naturally hears it as "we all got super drunk and ended up coked-out in a strip bar at 4am" because that's what he and his friends think is a wild time. Unfortunately these people are above thirty, so what they actually mean is "we all had three glasses of wine, a senior partner told a blue joke, and some of us stayed out till nearly 11!!"

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
The stories where the couple's problem is that they're sexually incompatible but the OP goes on and on about how perfect and happy their relationship is always get to me. That's uh...kind of a big glaring not-perfect element in your relationship that kind of needs to be addressed.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Pomme de Terror posted:

I love these stories. Like, yeah, YTA for using glitter (the herpes of the craft world) but catching people in their own lies owns bones so it evens out.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Pomme de Terror posted:

I can never understand these stories when the husband absolutely needs to defend his insane mother against the OP. That's the real concern there tbh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sugar mouse posted:

I've heard the saying that a drunk knows when the liquor store closes, an alcoholic knows when the liquor store opens.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Variable 5 posted:

I love these stories. Like, yeah, YTA for using glitter (the herpes of the craft world) but catching people in their own lies owns bones so it evens out.

I like the glitter bc every time the mom sees it in her car she's gonna remember again and get embarrassed and incensed so lol on her

My question is, has the husband now agreed his mom is never gonna stop this poo poo and take it seriously with the doors, or will she eventually just get glitter-bombed every visit? Will they just resign themselves to mom sparkling like a disco ball as her natural state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Azuth0667 posted:

Drinking in a bathroom is something you should only do at funerals. Not work parties.