Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Good job he specified that the attempt failed. To this day I was unsure whether or not Christmas had been abolished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've had three positive LFTs that are from a nasal only kit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

Some of the (anecdotal) evidence seems to be that it dodges the nasal-only LFTs and you should swab your tonsils as well for a more accurate reading.

3 people here all Omicron'ed to the gills and positive on nasal LFTs, so my anecdotes will beat up yours anyday m8

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there anything stopping you from stuffing the swap any which where? Seems odd that they would have ones that stop working if you stick em in your gob.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I didn't know there were nose-only LFTs. You saying I've been poking my throat and nearly being sick about it for nothing??

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Good job he specified that the attempt failed. To this day I was unsure whether or not Christmas had been abolished

Well, you know what they're like over in that Russia

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I tell you what though, despite not being able to poke my throat with any competence, I can do the nasal swab like I invented it. Stick it in there, rummage around like I'm mixing paint and late for a meeting, not a single virus particle could possibly hide

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Maugrim posted:

Some of the (anecdotal) evidence seems to be that it dodges the nasal-only LFTs and you should swab your tonsils as well for a more accurate reading.

Yea, I'd heard that. There are a few throat'n'nose ones lying around here, so I've done two nose and one tnn so far, all negatory.

I also read that when you're boosted (I'm 17 days post, so at peak boosterism) you might never show on an LFT because the viral load never gets big enough. This might hopefully mean I'm less infectious as well, or it might be curtains for Papa Foster. In any case, my immune system is really pissed off about something

I've also ordered a PCR, though.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there anything stopping you from stuffing the swap any which where? Seems odd that they would have ones that stop working if you stick em in your gob.

Not really, but it's harder to reach your tonsils with the nose only ones, the swabs are way shorter.

I didn't know there were nose-only LFTs. You saying I've been poking my throat and nearly being sick about it for nothing??

Yup they're a godsend

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't appear to have had covid yet and I'm still doing occasional LFTs, especially before seeing people (which is rare), but my housemate works in retail so either I've dodged both symptoms and positive results or I've been extraordinarily lucky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being a hermit that rarely sees the daylight and has lived in a mask for two years seems to have preserved me. I get the occasional scare but none of them have yet led to a positive test. Just gonna keep not seeing anybody and not going anywhere with people in it if I can avoid it.

Also yes it is sort of funny to me that doing an LFT makes me get symptoms because the horking it induces leaves me coughing for the rest of the day.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Maybe we need someone to check with the USSR if they still celebrate it or not?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
My uncle's colleague's nephew's friend saw someone on facebook say her sister thinks that omicron shows up better on LFTs if you soak it in coca cola and leave it in the fridge for two days before shoving it up your backside. Please base your own precautions in this pandemic on this peer reviewed study (it got seven Likes)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Failed Imagineer posted:

3 people here all Omicron'ed to the gills and positive on nasal LFTs, so my anecdotes will beat up yours anyday m8

It's not mine, I got it from a news thingy that I will not vouch for the accuracy of:

https://inews.co.uk/news/lateral-flow-tests-omicron-covid-variant-detection-testing-kits-1374073

Neither I nor any of my immediate family have ever tested positive for covid as yet, I'm dreading it tbh as my son has weird reactions to most illnesses and is as likely to end up in hospital as to shrug it off with a single dose of Calpol.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I like to think of the War on Christmas as an eternal fight where every year on December 25th* the Avatar of Christmas is symbolically defeated and has to go back to its shadowy nether realm**, ready to return late the next year to battle it all out again.

*in the UK. Victory in Europe can be anywhere from December 6th to early January depending on country.

**Finland, since Santa canonically lives in Rovaniemi.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jedit posted:

Which causes an electrical short. Which are a common cause of... fires.

No no. This wire doesn't cause fires, it causes the car hood to flip up while driving so whoever's behind the wheel can't see. The only way it would cause a fire is if they crashed into an already burning building! Checkmate Elonhater.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

There's no actual difference to the tests, just the instructions. In theory throat and nose swabs are much more sensitive but it's very tricky to hit your tonsils without also hitting your tongue (grow up) which waters down the sample - not as much of a problem for PCRs but a big problem for the LFTs which are much less sensitive.

I mean we *should* be doing the proper brain-scraping sinus swab as well as going all the way to the back of the throat (I will keep this whole class behind if you don't stop giggling) but it's basically impossible to do that to yourself unless you're already working in a circus.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I like to think of the War on Christmas as an eternal fight where every year on December 25th* the Avatar of Christmas is symbolically defeated and has to go back to its shadowy nether realm**, ready to return late the next year to battle it all out again.

*in the UK. Victory in Europe can be anywhere from December 6th to early January depending on country.

**Finland, since Santa canonically lives in Rovaniemi.

In my head canon My Summer Car is just simulating what Santa is up to the rest of the year.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Having a fun time with Three. They doubled the cost of my monthly contract last week, so I called up and renegotiated so I was actually only paying £1 more for +50% extra data, which seemed fair all around. Contract arrived by post, and they have actually tripled the original contract cost. At least one of here is a complete moron...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no actual difference to the tests, just the instructions. In theory throat and nose swabs are much more sensitive but it's very tricky to hit your tonsils without also hitting your tongue (grow up) which waters down the sample - not as much of a problem for PCRs but a big problem for the LFTs which are much less sensitive.

I mean we *should* be doing the proper brain-scraping sinus swab as well as going all the way to the back of the throat (I will keep this whole class behind if you don't stop giggling) but it's basically impossible to do that to yourself unless you're already working in a circus.

I quite like the challenge of getting the long one as far up my nose as possible.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Angepain posted:

I can't wait to be a big massive celebrity so I can finally be free of being served peas

It was a Mexican restaurant. But she wanted peas with her steak

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In my head canon My Summer Car is just simulating what Santa is up to the rest of the year.

You mean swearing in Finnish, pissing everywhere and eating reindeer sausage? Yeah, that tracks.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not that bad, you've all got enough time to learn this before midnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa0BCpfGFk

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Check the thread, a good round up of the year:

https://twitter.com/jackinpogform/status/1476867857808035841

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

I quite like the challenge of getting the long one as far up my nose as possible.

I've gotten really loving good at it, it's like the joker's magic trick in The Dark Knight

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I had no issue going all the way back with my swabs until the dual combination of getting a blocked nose from covid, and switching to the different nose-only test which have a fatter cotton tip. That said, I also don't seem to gag from doing my own throat test so maybe I'm just odd.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maugrim posted:

I really wouldn't be surprised. There was also that company who had a contract to provide LFTs who were discovered to be making duds*, and were then given another month of producing duds before finally being told to shut down.

* mandatory :dudsmile:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And since then the 'Holy Russia' death cult has been trying to make a return, so yes Peter sad times that the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism didn't triumph.

smellmycheese posted:

It was a Mexican restaurant. But she wanted peas with her steak
She could have a Mexican pea on her steak.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Demelza posted:

Last summer my mother rang her self-isolating friend to see if she needed anything. During the conversation it emerged her friend didn't realise that self-isolating meant "don't leave the house" and had still been merrily wandering around supermarket.

Last year I closed a tech support/learning group for older people I’d been running for 10 years.

What broke me wasn’t the poo poo like hiding on the floor under the window during lockdown while watching a man put a router on top of my black bin, spray it with sanitiser and then call me asking if I could install his internet for him.

It was and still is the absolute insistence from boomers that they are the most cautious people on the planet and it’s OTHER people prolonging the pandemic, while they also tell me how they had to go into 3 supermarkets to find [product.] on sale or at a cheap price

And I’m not joking, I heard the same thing over and over and over again from about 20 people, and they all had stories about how friends and relatives had to hunt round multiple supermarkets during lockdown to save 50p on a bag of something as well

Ok they can all gently caress off now, I explained over and over and again that slightly raised prices or an exact product being out of stock was something they just had to deal with, and they all sat there nodding and isn’t it dreadful that people are so selfish without thinking that the rules applied to them because heaven forfend they spend an extra £1 on coffee

First fews week of lockdown one of them drove past the Tesco’s at clay cross to the enormous one Chesterfield, queued for two hours, ignored the one way system and then called me screeching about a lawyer because the elderly man behind him in the queue saw him walking out with nothing and asked what the gently caress pall to be told “I was just checking the price of me coffee” and then was horrified when he got punched in the face. Somehow the old man was the bad guy in his story.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have had almost verbatim conversations like this with my parents:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/futurenoir100/status/1476905552211062788

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wish that people who post (in a national publication no less) their "what if the child consents" ideas actually faced any censure for it rather than being lauded as a saint until maybe 30 years after they're dead when it comes out that unbelieivably they were five times winner of the epstein international noncing award which they displayed in their living room and also cited on their CV when applying to run the BBC.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

My favourite genre of right wing commentator. The old conveniently forgetting that festivals like Halloween and NYE are much older than Christianity, and have long been celebrated in parts of the UK that aren't Kent. And are not some foreign confection to bring about the cancellation of Christmas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sadly far from the only "if Greta can complain about climate justice at 15 then why can't I fiddle kids?" comment from people who are supposedly big brain commenters.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have had almost verbatim conversations like this with my parents:

loving yes, exactly, yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

My favourite genre of right wing commentator. The old conveniently forgetting that festivals like Halloween and NYE are much older than Christianity, and have long been celebrated in parts of the UK that aren't Kent. And are not some foreign confection to bring about the cancellation of Christmas.
We should have just moved to the World Calendar that all the reactionaries claimed was secretly trying to abolish Christmas. The only downside would be all the articles from English journalists saying "but if a girl is 15 on the old calendar and 16 on the new one... no this is important stay with me!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:rip: 100's of millions killed by Vladimir I. Lenin's invention, new year's celebration

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Marmaduke! posted:

Having a fun time with Three. They doubled the cost of my monthly contract last week, so I called up and renegotiated so I was actually only paying £1 more for +50% extra data, which seemed fair all around. Contract arrived by post, and they have actually tripled the original contract cost. At least one of here is a complete moron...

Hah. I renewed my contract with Three in November since when they've credited my account Nov & Dec instead of debiting it. I'm setting what I should be paying aside until they catch on. I just cannot face the thought of dealing with so called Customer Services especially as there seems to be no way on earth of actually logging in to my account no matter how many times I try to change the password / change the relevant email address even with Customer Services on the chat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have long suspected that my grandmother was celebrating some sort of satanic ritual when she made me stand outside with a lump of coal every new years on the basis I was the only tall bloke she knew.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/homerjrband/status/1476524018014597124

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

First fews week of lockdown one of them drove past the Tesco’s at clay cross to the enormous one Chesterfield, queued for two hours, ignored the one way system and then called me screeching about a lawyer because the elderly man behind him in the queue saw him walking out with nothing and asked what the gently caress pall to be told “I was just checking the price of me coffee” and then was horrified when he got punched in the face. Somehow the old man was the bad guy in his story.

I uh I appreciate the sentiment but physical assault probably is going to get you lawyer'd at yes.

Edit: COVIDs chat - I've had a weird cold a few days ago, I /think/ a cold anyway. Sniffles, feeling v tired, felt a bit hot for a day or so, very mild achiness, general Not Feeling Great, slight cough.

Could be COVID? No clue. No LFTs available see. I isolated anyway and I'm feeling better now so v0v?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2021