Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In 2020 the story was how NJPW didnt adapt to crowdless shows while NOAH was having a resurgance under Go Shiozaki and doing things you could only do without crowds. Seeing this fall apart Gedo and Dick decided "in 2021 were going to double down on Memphis heat except the crowds can only clap in response".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The point of refs in every sport is to make bad calls and get the fans angry at them so they're not mad at their own team for losing. They're like rodeo clowns. If anything, wrestling refs are too competent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NJPW has a great tape library but I can’t get excited about a product with Will Ospreay on it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

You can't have a bad referee discussion without talking about Kyohei Wada who not only has annoying distracting spots but also actively endangered a performer by letting Act/Yoshiko continue after they'd both backed off into their corners.

Bryce and Red Shoes annoy me but not as much as Kyohei

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just try to forget he hasn't retired yet and assume that Nikkan Lee is the main All Japan ref

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nikkan is imo the best referee in the world so AJPW is a land of contrasts

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I just try to forget he hasn't retired yet and assume that Nikkan Lee is the main All Japan ref

This, Wada actively takes away from All Japan main events with his glacial counts. Nikkan Lee rules

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I Before E posted:

The point of refs in every sport is to make bad calls and get the fans angry at them so they're not mad at their own team for losing.

Mate, I'm still fuming about Romain Poite and Wayne Barnes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Allen Iverson should've never made an NBA final.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm not even from Sacramento but Vlade Divac should have a ring

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NOAH probably had a better 2021 but I'm not sure you can call a year where not only Muto won the top title but beat it's young future ace and had a draw as well that much better booked than NJPW

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Catching up on GLEAT and how in the hell is Minoru Suzuki working for every single company

e: the Chris Regal thread turned into the puro thread so gradually I didn't even notice

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You try telling Suzuki he can't work for a company!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

NOAH probably had a better 2021 but I'm not sure you can call a year where not only Muto won the top title but beat it's young future ace and had a draw as well that much better booked than NJPW

When Mutoh won the belt the juniors really picked it up and carried the undercard by just being consistently good and not betraying each other every show (and letting guys like Haoh and Ohara shine). Since Marufuji (and later Nakajima) won the top belt the Juniors went back to being completely insane with PdMdJ. It's just loving baffling the choices NOSAWA makes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Machobeard4life/status/1476723825811329025?s=20

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Surely it must be the Khan Man who is bribing WWE Superstars to BETRAY WWE, surely the weekly news reports about morale being at an all-time low have nothing to do with why anyone might want to not be there anymore.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm not saying that Tony Khan took a dump on Vince McMahon's office chair, but if he had that would have been illegal.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's all legal. hahahahaa

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean look at the signs....Firing Urban Myer and trying to get out of the contract is step 1 - step 5 is getting WWE talent to quit while under contract. It's all clearly visable!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/girloncinema/status/1476808143585828905?s=20
Girloncinema is now advertising fetish videos to own AEW?
idk, she's a hosed up grifter and weirdo but I have to kind of respect the hustle, she's worked a lot of dumb as hell wrestling fans out of money by occupying this bizarre niche. I really get into all the weird off shoot personalities wrestling produces, the Mike Kurtz's or whatever, they freak me out because they seem to live in a different reality to me, not that mine is more legitimate but the idea that their experience is that vastly different than mine really makes me go inward and evaluate myself and try to live more in this experience I am in of life.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Every time I say something negative about WWE Tony Khan pops out from behind something and throws a handful of money at me.

If it's not negative enough he throws a handful of change and it hurts.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

All the bad ref talk and no one brouggt up the cmll refs, how the company has fallen

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This rules because it combines "Tony Khan is secretly behind everything in the wrestling world" and "That person that left WWE? They've actually been bad forever and not a big star." AND they're talking about Jeff Hardy not being a big star.

If Roman walked out of WWE right now they'd say he was never really a big deal.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

This rules because it combines "Tony Khan is secretly behind everything in the wrestling world" and "That person that left WWE? They've actually been bad forever and not a big star." AND they're talking about Jeff Hardy not being a big star.

If Roman walked out of WWE right now they'd say he was never really a big deal.

I can see the arguments already. ”You shat on Roman for years and now you think he’s good? Wow toxic AEW fans are so bias”

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pompín hasn't returned for CMLL since the pandemic so he may now be retired but CMLL hasn't issued anything official. He is/was very likely the oldest ref in the world, as he debuted in 1957 which would mean he was born between 1939-1942 for a typical lucha debut age range of 15-18.

He took a Rush shotgun dropkick and bumped on the rock hard CMLL ring in like 2018 or 2019 so he was taking bumps at nearly age 80 which is loving insane.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 31, 2021

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/publicturtle/status/1476982626904797184?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Paul’s spirit knows no rest, forced to create new twitter accounts

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One the website NoDQ.com, the Young Bucks were voted Tag Team of the Year. This guy (Man on the Moon) thinks it should've been the Usos. This is part of his argument as to why the Bucks shouldn't be Team of the Year

https://twitter.com/MrDeez965/status/1477023515027156999?s=20

Aw ... he deleted it. For those who missed it, he said "The only thing the Bucks had going for them was the quality of their matches."

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sometimes I feel like the stuff posted itt really is making me dumber

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If quality of matches were the be-all and end-all then Astronauts or NEXTREAM would be winning team of the year every year, but nobody watches Big or All Japan outside of a square kilometre in Tokyo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There were nowhere near enough Astronauts matches in 2021. They should sort that out. AJPW, gimme Stronghearts vs Astronauts.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Davros1 posted:

One the website NoDQ.com, the Young Bucks were voted Tag Team of the Year. This guy (Man on the Moon) thinks it should've been the Usos. This is part of his argument as to why the Bucks shouldn't be Team of the Year

https://twitter.com/MrDeez965/status/1477023515027156999?s=20

thats hilarious

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
There's a lot of bad bad bad takes given the current situation, and so many just not worth posting because just hateful bigotry.

But this... this is something else.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A dumb but completely harmless take

https://twitter.com/LaynieLuck/status/1477084647855210498

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Lid posted:

There's a lot of bad bad bad takes given the current situation, and so many just not worth posting because just hateful bigotry.

But this... this is something else.

Jericho was a complete rear end in a top hat in this situation.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jericho was a complete rear end in a top hat in this situation.

Was Amanda Huber also an rear end in a top hat?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Pylons posted:

Was Amanda Huber also an rear end in a top hat?

No, because they're in completely different situations and she's stil grieving her husband.

Jericho is a drunk tweeting rear end who saw an opportunity to punch down at somebody paying tribute to their friend when he clearly didn't need to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jericho is a drunk tweeting rear end who saw an opportunity to punch down at somebody paying tribute to their friend when he clearly didn't need to.

It was sad reading his autobiographies and watching him seem to become progressively more and more proud of getting black out drunk and being an rear end.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of NJPW, someone said House of Torture might win most disgusting promotional tactic this year. Why would that be, what's the deal with them? Sorry if this is off topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fsmhunk posted:

Speaking of NJPW, someone said House of Torture might win most disgusting promotional tactic this year. Why would that be, what's the deal with them? Sorry if this is off topic.

They poo poo up every single match they're in (and even matches they're not in) with countless interference spots and their non-stop push is the #1 reason interest in New Japan has plummeted off a cliff in the last 18 months