Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Completed a MvM Two Cities tour today (11th I've done so far)

The reward?

:woop:

-

Onto a different subject, I had a depressing thought the other day: are TF2 hats a sort of precursor to the whole NFT thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Max Wilco posted:

Onto a different subject, I had a depressing thought the other day: are TF2 hats a sort of precursor to the whole NFT thing?

I don’t follow.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

They absolutely were. I think any old PGS trade thread veteran would agree.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Max Wilco posted:

They're absolutely an original sin of a lot of predatory mechanics that came since the crates first started. I love TF2, but I remember buying keys to unlock crates, not getting anything good, then popping a few more open to see if I'd get another shot at a rare strange weapon or unusual hat.

Nowadays after the saturation of lootboxes everywhere and learning how this kind of mechanic preys upon addictive tendencies, I don't touch them. Valve continues putting out the seasonal crates so people can continue spending $2.49 a pop to open them, and even making it so keys are effectively not universal anymore. It's an eternally ugly mark on an otherwise delightful game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TF2 hats, and more to the point crates, are the precursor to a lot of horrible games industry poo poo but I don’t really see a direct link between them and NFTs. Honestly the stated goal of NFTs in gaming (to give players more “ownership” over virtual items) is something that Valve has made every attempt to avoid over the years.

I only see them as a precursor to NFTs in the way that they are a precursor to most games industry predatory practices because they set the stage for it by being the first to really make it part of non-mobile gaming, but someone had to be the first so :shrug:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 20, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The closest thing I can think of is craft numbers, which evokes all the same "who cares" reactions that NFTs do

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Valve has effectively gotten all of the supposed "benefits" of running NFTs without dealing with a lot of what people are pushing back on. People have "ownership" over their items (which never leaves Valve's control and doesn't actually belong to the end user) and they can sell them to other people through a controlled marketplace, of which Valve take a cut of each transaction. There's even unique identifiers and artificial scarcity to drive prices higher.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ariong posted:

TF2 hats, and more to the point crates, are the precursor to a lot of horrible games industry poo poo but I don’t really see a direct link between them and NFTs. Honestly the stated goal of NFTs in gaming (to give players more “ownership” over virtual items) is something that Valve has made every attempt to avoid over the years.

I only see them as a precursor to NFTs in the way that they are a precursor to most games industry predatory practices because they set the stage for it by being the first to really make it part of non-mobile gaming, but someone had to be the first so :shrug:

The nature of the way hats were created and distributed meant that before you could just buy them in the store they were literally not fungible, and particularly special ones still are, like if you are a number collector, a vintage collector or you want a particular unusual particle. If you wanted X you had to make a deal with someone who had X and those people were varying degrees of scrupulous (two of my hats for three of yours, etc).

The big difference between TF2 hats and modern NFTs is people wanted TF2 hats.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

There's even unique identifiers and artificial scarcity to drive prices higher.

The random float number on item quality in CS:GO can make a huge difference in how valued your rare item drop becomes. And they also have paint seeds which can slightly adjust how the textures are displayed (xyz offsets).

It doesn't matter for regular players but collectors care, or so it seems.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Reiley posted:

The nature of the way hats were created and distributed meant that before you could just buy them in the store they were literally not fungible, and particularly special ones still are, like if you are a number collector, a vintage collector or you want a particular unusual particle. If you wanted X you had to make a deal with someone who had X and those people were varying degrees of scrupulous (two of my hats for three of yours, etc).

So? NFTs aren’t terrible because of the non-fungible aspect. They’re terrible because of the blockchain aspect, which is environmentally devastating and adds no real value.

Reiley posted:

The big difference between TF2 hats and modern NFTs is people wanted TF2 hats.

No, the big difference is that you don’t have to burn down an acre of rainforest to make a single TF2 hat.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 20, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ariong posted:

So? NFTs aren’t terrible because of the non-fungible aspect. They’re terrible because of the blockhain aspect, which is environmentally devastating and adds no real value.

No, the big difference is that you don’t have to burn down an acre of rainforest to make a single TF2 hat.

They're terrible for the non-fungibility as well. Digital media solves scarcity, but like it's not 1:1 the same. It's the first wide-scale implementation of the broad idea of tradeable digital scarcity markets that we're dealing with today.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

You can't right click an unusual and wear it yourself.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly the aspect of nfts that made them get huge among a very small and stupid branch of techbros is the blockchain element. Blockchain = Bitcoin = hotness = $$ = totally investing bro.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't know about a precursor for NFTs, but lootboxes absolutely. And if I'm being honest, I think TF2's interpretation of lootboxes is one of the worst in the entire industry. Yeah, sure, Blizzard's done a lot of heinous poo poo. But at least if you got a lootbox in Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm, you could friggin open it without an extra price tag. Nor can you sell those skins for a shitton of money on a virtual marketplace, encouraging people to literally start speculating on said skins.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Yeah, I thinking in terms of the digital scarcity aspect, rather than the whole blockchain/bitcoin thing. It's the thing where there are Unusual hats and other items that are hundreds or even thousands of dollars. However, they aren't really worth anything. It's not something tangible like a car or real estate or something; in only really has value on Steam. You can potentially try to liquidate into real cash through something like Marketplace.TF or something (maybe not easily now, compared to a few years ago), but again, if you've got a hat that averages for something like $2,000, there's not really a market for it (save for maybe the people who would buy NFTs).

I mean, if you want a specific hat with a specific unusual effect, you could effectively make it yourself by extracting the corresponding models and particle effects, and building it in Source Filmmaker or something else. Obviously, you can't show it off in-game, but if you want a Pyro's Beanie with a Kaleidoscope effect (which to my knowledge, is not a combo that exists), you can make it.

Years ago, I pre-ordered Sam and Max Season 3, and got the Max's Severed Head hat. I used to get trade offers all the time asking for it, but I never traded it. Nowadays, that hat's valued at like $55 on Marketplace.TF ( it cost far more if it was Vintage quality, though I don't know how you'd get it in that quality), which I think is more than what I paid for pre-ordering the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Max Wilco posted:

Years ago, I pre-ordered Sam and Max Season 3, and got the Max's Severed Head hat. I used to get trade offers all the time asking for it, but I never traded it. Nowadays, that hat's valued at like $55 on Marketplace.TF ( it cost far more if it was Vintage quality, though I don't know how you'd get it in that quality), which I think is more than what I paid for pre-ordering the game.

Vintage quality on non-vintages came from the days of people deleting their items, asking Steam support for them back, and getting them back in vintage quality for whatever reason. Steam support returning item qualities in not exactly perfect conditions or exploiting some item related bugs related to gift wraps is how you got some weird poo poo around, like tradeable haunted metal scrap.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Runescape partyhats from ~2002 are probably the earliest case of digital items that became so sought after that people were willing to trade actual money for, so that predates TF2 unusuals by at least 7-8 years.

e: The precursor to NFTs IMO would be those name-a-star companies that all promise to let you offically name a star if you pay them money, but really what they're doing is adding the name to their own private registry, which isn't recognized by any government or scientific body.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 20, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You can also """buy""" an acre of land on the Moon or Mars, which will matter to precisely no one once it actually becomes relevant.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im suprised no one has started selling NFTs of bridges from around the world.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 20, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/DailyTF2Memes/status/1472966481205936136?s=20

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly the aspect of nfts that made them get huge among a very small and stupid branch of techbros is the blockchain element. Blockchain = Bitcoin = hotness = $$ = totally investing bro.

Items on the steam market have historical price charts, making some people treat them as investments. Along with people who play the bid/ask spread on common items like keys and back in the day bills hats, max head, airbuds, etc.

Same poo poo Roblox pulls.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I wish people still played gravelpit.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Jippa posted:

I wish people still played gravelpit.
same but steel

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
What? Compared to Gravelpit Steel seems to get played on par with Upward and Badwater.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
steel is definitely not played as much as loving upward

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone seems to only want to play payload now, which is weird because payload isn't very good

it does explain why they've suddenly decided that sniper is overpowered after 12+ years, though, since every payload map consists of a series of gigantic sightlines with no flank routes which one team is forced to ponderously trundle through in a predictable fashion if they want to win

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Payload is casual friendly because there is a central location to always go to. Casual players love a meat grinder, so playing upward, bad water, and even dust bowl appeals to the majority of players.

I still prefer 5CP and played a fun back and forth on snakewater, despite the other team having a super passive sniper that had about 6 dominations at any given point. We ended up winning 2-0, but had trouble pushing last, and for one point pushing out of our last.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Payload is fine, and does a better job of ensuring every class has a role than other modes. The real issue is servers that don't regularly switch between maps with a variety of modes, and I'd trace the decline of TF2 to when they started promoting single map / type gameplay. Dustbowl 24/7 servers already existed for those that wanted them, but on the whole limiting the game to specific modes makes it stale.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 2, 2022

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

As much as I was looking forward to Meet your Match it definitely made the game feel a lot more stale and was probably the update that ruined it for me. I never really realized how much TF2 was both a community and a game to me and that's what made it so appealing, and with the matchmaking update the community is gone and only the game remains. Sure there are still some community servers that see people but not in the same way there was pre-mym, where the maps you played were left to the rtv vote and whatever admin felt like putting in, and you would see a lot of the same faces and names when you joined a server. TF2 just feels so empty and emotionless to me now.

Also we're never getting the last issue of the bimonthly comic and that's the biggest sin of all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lol i still have a separate category on my steam friends list for tf2 server regulars from like 2011 that i cant bring myself to delete even if we dont talk anymore and some havent used steam in 6+ years

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

As much as I was looking forward to Meet your Match it definitely made the game feel a lot more stale and was probably the update that ruined it for me. I never really realized how much TF2 was both a community and a game to me and that's what made it so appealing, and with the matchmaking update the community is gone and only the game remains. Sure there are still some community servers that see people but not in the same way there was pre-mym, where the maps you played were left to the rtv vote and whatever admin felt like putting in, and you would see a lot of the same faces and names when you joined a server. TF2 just feels so empty and emotionless to me now.

Also we're never getting the last issue of the bimonthly comic and that's the biggest sin of all.

very true, although funnily enough the ongoing robot apocalypse has actually caused a minor revival of community servers where you can get something resembling the old experience. the bots completely ignore community servers, so they now receive a steady supply of casual refugees. almost makes you wonder if that was the point.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Rally® Signature Series™ line of LC events in the sunset years were always a lot of fun and there isn't really a game that facilitates that sort of thing anymore. A computer tries to give you a 50/50 winrate and you can't really meet anyone you're playing with in the same way you could a decade ago.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

cock hero flux posted:

very true, although funnily enough the ongoing robot apocalypse has actually caused a minor revival of community servers where you can get something resembling the old experience. the bots completely ignore community servers, so they now receive a steady supply of casual refugees. almost makes you wonder if that was the point.

The botpocalypse was pretty conveniently timed with the introduction of the faceit matchmaking thing. :tinfoil:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kaal posted:

Payload is fine, and does a better job of ensuring every class has a role than other modes. The real issue is servers that don't regularly switch between maps with a variety of modes, and I'd trace the decline of TF2 to when they started promoting single map / type gameplay. Dustbowl 24/7 servers already existed for those that wanted them, but on the whole limiting the game to specific modes makes it stale.

Dustbowl 24/7 is just one round of Dustbowl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dabir posted:

Dustbowl 24/7 is just one round of Dustbowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF0ACRyNDbM

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
Dustbowl is eternal. It's simply the best map for pubs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I completely agree. Not being able to pick a valve server and spend hours on it and make friends anymore really did change the game fundamentally.

I would boot up, think of a game type I wanted to play and find a valve server with a few people and a good ping and that was it. I would be there for a few hours, and every round change we would all stick together because there was no long end of round stuff with map voting and staring at a scoreboard and no guarantee everyone will stick around.

It really is sad to have lost that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VideoGames posted:

I completely agree. Not being able to pick a valve server and spend hours on it and make friends anymore really did change the game fundamentally.

I would boot up, think of a game type I wanted to play and find a valve server with a few people and a good ping and that was it. I would be there for a few hours, and every round change we would all stick together because there was no long end of round stuff with map voting and staring at a scoreboard and no guarantee everyone will stick around.

It really is sad to have lost that.

Yeah same. The old system was simply much better at fostering a community of players and allowing people to play a variety of maps and modes. The new system doesn't offer anything that the 24/7 servers didn't already do, and wrecked every other server in the process. And it kicked off a whole series of poor dev decisions as a result of the ensuing player collapse.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I tried to get back into the game and it was just full of Trump Lake bots spamming the mic and stealing people's names. Also for some reason whenever a vote kick happens I don't even get a visual prompt to vote. I just don't get the option to vote at all. YouTube Team Fortress Youtubers memes mislead me the past 5 servers I tried to get into was completely hosed.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Community servers are good. Don’t play casual unless your east coast during prime hours and have enough people to kick the bots out.