Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nah just the spam bar. There are things where you want to manually time it, like entwined tactical matrix or overpowered and overgunned but I am too lazy to track my buff bar to micro manage that poo poo so I'll settle for good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eimi posted:

Nah just the spam bar. There are things where you want to manually time it, like entwined tactical matrix or overpowered and overgunned but I am too lazy to track my buff bar to micro manage that poo poo so I'll settle for good enough.

Oh yeah, I guess if one of them is on a longer cooldown, it just sort of naturally (mostly) times itself out. Makes sense.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, the powers on the spam bar activate from left to right each time you press the button, so it just naturally works out with how the cooldowns overlap.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
This may not be the right place for this question, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask. Are there any other games that have vaguely similar space combat to STO? I like the (theoretically) slower paced combat and managing weapon dps vs firing arcs and ship maneuverability when I'm not just nuking enemies down in one beam overload cycle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you've never played Battlefleet Gothic Armada I recommend it. Has some great spaceship combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbaDEO8IHs

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, the powers on the spam bar activate from left to right each time you press the button, so it just naturally works out with how the cooldowns overlap.

Technically it's a lot weirder than that but yeah.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I got the 10th anniversary pack now and have to say

-Everyone was right the Defiant legendary is really good
-The legendary galaxy did surprisingly well for me in Advanced patrols, and mixing the Ross and Venture components gave a really nice look
-Up until now I had no idea how fast you could get ship XP doing advanced patrols, versus advanced TFOs...just cruising through traits now

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I got the 10th anniversary pack now and have to say

-Everyone was right the Defiant legendary is really good
-The legendary galaxy did surprisingly well for me in Advanced patrols, and mixing the Ross and Venture components gave a really nice look
-Up until now I had no idea how fast you could get ship XP doing advanced patrols, versus advanced TFOs...just cruising through traits now
The biggest problem with the legendary galaxy is that atrocious turn rate. On a 5/3 ship, it would be really nice to not have to rely on broadsiding because you can't turn to keep up with anything. The secondary issues are that intel is weak, and there's not enough decent eng abilities to make a commander eng seat exciting, but those problems apply to a wide range of ships in the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unless they massively mess it up in some way I expect the legendary Galaxy will be outclassed by the Pegasus when it gets released.

The main thing I'd be getting the 10th pack for would be the flippy defiant and it's just not worth that much Zen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeJF posted:

Unless they massively mess it up in some way I expect the legendary Galaxy will be outclassed by the Pegasus when it gets released.

The main thing I'd be getting the 10th pack for would be the flippy defiant and it's just not worth that much Zen.

Good things in the 10th pack:

1) flippy defiant
2) space wizard monster Voyager.
3) MW TOS Enterprise
4) MW Enterprise-E
4) Carrier Disco Enterprise

everything else is flavors of meh, but nothing is really bad. Defiant, Voy, TOS Enterprise, and Enterprise-E are legit monsters, though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I have faith that Gearbox will not do that to me, I will 9/11 them if they do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The account wide NX console is nice, and I love the NX skin, which since I already fly it, that was a bonus. Though the lobi NX is the far better ship imo.

Also underselling the Glenn, the skin of which actually makes the Crossfield not an abomination and is a GREAT sci torp platform.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Well don't look at the tiny little Franklin / freedom class because that dinky little rowboat is a better cruiser than nearly anything.

I suppose it's technically a "frigate" in game but ehh still got cruiser commands.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah I bought the Franklin when they put it in the Lobi temporarily, I love that little ship design. It's like what they were going for with the NX Class design but just better executed. (And I'm quite fond of the NX.)

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

revtoiletduck posted:

This may not be the right place for this question, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask. Are there any other games that have vaguely similar space combat to STO? I like the (theoretically) slower paced combat and managing weapon dps vs firing arcs and ship maneuverability when I'm not just nuking enemies down in one beam overload cycle.

although they would be outraged at the comparison, eve onlines combat would feel familiar to anyone that has played sto.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Good things in the 10th pack:

1) flippy defiant
2) space wizard monster Voyager.
3) MW TOS Enterprise
4) MW Enterprise-E
4) Carrier Disco Enterprise

everything else is flavors of meh, but nothing is really bad. Defiant, Voy, TOS Enterprise, and Enterprise-E are legit monsters, though.

the Legendary Kelvin Connie is also a better variant than the lockbox one (5/3 Intel on the Legendary vs 4/4 Temporal on the lockbox version)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The lockbox one is Command if I remember but yeah, still only 4/4.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah the Konnie and Donnie would probably be appealing but my inner grognard dislikes them on principle. :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah the Konnie and Donnie would probably be appealing but my inner grognard dislikes them on principle. :colbert:

Grab yourself the TOS connie then or the Enterprise E. They're both 4/4 MW cruisers with iirc 4 tac console slots and good boff layouts. They're not hyper-meta but they make great beam boat builds.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hope they gear the next campaign season for maximum chaos and annoyance. One of the shuttle TFOs. A Lukari TFO. Make people run dailies on Defera.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I hope they gear the next campaign season for maximum chaos and annoyance. One of the shuttle TFOs. A Lukari TFO. Make people run dailies on Defera.

20 days doing the "Days of Doom" TFO. Nothing but misery for everyone.

Ooh, just remembered there's a bunch of Undine TFOs that I don't think anyone has run since 2014. Gotta get those in the rotation too!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

Ooh, just remembered there's a bunch of Undine TFOs that I don't think anyone has run since 2014. Gotta get those in the rotation too!

Last year was the year of Klingon, but this year is Bij

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

BSG Deadlock is real good

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marshal Radisic posted:

20 days of Battle of Procyon V, and due to a bug it only counts runs on elite :unsmigghh:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

g0del posted:

20 days of Battle of Procyon V, and due to a bug it only counts runs on elite :unsmigghh:
poo poo, that's even worse than Days of Doom. DoD is long and cumbersome but relatively straightforward. Procyon V is long, repeats itself constantly, and every drat enemy ship is locking you down with some sort of science, intel, or temporal power. It's such a miserable experience I forgot it even existed.

Man, what was going on with the design for those Temporal TFOs? Are they actually the least-played TFOs in the game?

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They were trying to get clever with their encounter design for a while there but apparently forgot that the game is an imbalanced clunky mess mostly played by mental children on underclocked potatoes.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Asimo posted:

played by mental children on underclocked potatoes.

the gently caress did you just call me

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Asimo posted:

They were trying to get clever with their encounter design for a while there but apparently forgot that the game is an imbalanced clunky mess mostly played by mental children on underclocked potatoes.

Excuse me, some of us have overclocked potatoes thank you very much!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marshal Radisic posted:

poo poo, that's even worse than Days of Doom. DoD is long and cumbersome but relatively straightforward. Procyon V is long, repeats itself constantly, and every drat enemy ship is locking you down with some sort of science, intel, or temporal power. It's such a miserable experience I forgot it even existed.
You forgot the worst part - the ships won't stop respawning until you close the gates, which is both slow and interruptible. Unless you've got teammates who are really good at pulling aggro, the TFO will never end.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

g0del posted:

You forgot the worst part - the ships won't stop respawning until you close the gates, which is both slow and interruptible. Unless you've got teammates who are really good at pulling aggro, the TFO will never end.

iirc you also needed to have that console that stops the continuous damage from the expanse for it too

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think I’ve decided I like the look of that Walker light battlecruiser. Not $120 like, but still another good 2410 adaptation .

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like the base Walker as is and both the Cryptic skins are quite good, especially the Georigou class but lmao at actually getting that skin cause it's from the disco expansion bundle which is insanely overpriced for what it gives you and it doesn't even get you a t6 Walker.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I just want the legendary Excelsior without having to pay most of a weeks worth of my wages for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MREBoy posted:

I just want the legendary Excelsior without having to pay most of a weeks worth of my wages for it.

Same. The 10th pack was worth the cost, but there is no way in hell I can ever see myself buying the 11th, no matter how much I love the Excelsior. It's a shame.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The 11th anniversary pack had 2 problems:

Low perception of overall value and (ymmv) poo poo exclusive ships skins. Anyone who liked them don't take that too personally. You do you. However I think they were poo poo and my opinion is worth 9.74 regular opinions because science.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah ultimately the 10th anniversary bundle was crazy expensive buuut it was probably the best single "value" the game's offered since release. It had canon hero boats from every series to date and they ranged from "good" to "top of the meta". Meanwhile the 11th bundle was nearly the same price but had less than half the ships in it and only the B'rel was really "great" while the extra stuff tossed into it was clearly to bloat the price. I'm sure it made for another data point in their dumb as gently caress assumption that nobody wants klangon ships too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamn dumb data points.

Like how the Bortas is one of my favourite designs but it has never been given a visual overhaul like the Scimmy and Oddy have and that's almost certainly because nobody bought it and I'm sure because nobody bought it they've just slipped it into 'nobody liked it' whereas nobody liked it because it can't loving turn around. Or like how they didn't bother doing much with the D'D and slipped it in as basically an extra with the Scimmy in the romulan pack because everyone flew the Scimmy and nobody flew the D'D. Yeah that's because the Scimmy was incredibly overpowered and the D'D was actively painful to fly, guys. Lots of people would love to fly the D'D if it was decent.

On a different note what winter kit modules are good? Any of the training manuals worth it?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 31, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Very Cold in Space, the sci one, is great. It's a huge anomaly that while it doesn't pull like GW it slows massively. The tac and engi ones are great powers...when they are active and suffer from being single target with longish cooldowns in a game that demands aoe.

No idea on the ground stuff, though I think endothermic induction zone is great for sci.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I decided to finally do something with my fleet ship tokens, and bought the Fleet Shepard since my pizza slizer already was going towards beamboat, the T6-X upgrade, and a few new vulnerability locators to go to the new console slots.

Things started to die considerably faster; its like upgrading from Tier 5 to 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eimi posted:

Very Cold in Space, the sci one, is great. It's a huge anomaly that while it doesn't pull like GW it slows massively. The tac and engi ones are great powers...when they are active and suffer from being single target with longish cooldowns in a game that demands aoe.

No idea on the ground stuff, though I think endothermic induction zone is great for sci.

The ENG space ones are only going to be interesting if you're running an ENG heavy ship and you're just struggling to fill slots, so more a comment on how mediocre ENG BOFF skills are

The TAC one probably won't get slotted unless you're going to run +8 TAC BOFF skills at once.