Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

The worst is "damage 7 vehicles in a battle".

Seriously. "Damage half the enemy team in a battle" isn't terribly reasonable as a mission objective.

I feel like I'm getting a better handle on the STA 1, I've been averaging closer to 2000 damage in it lately. The gun handling is still INSANELY trollish and you'll miss a ton of shots that don't feel missable. I really hope the Type 61 and STB-1 are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WOTHAPPYNEWYEAR2022

A code for a free 2D camo and maybe some other stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 31, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

WOTHAPPYNEWYEAR2022

"Code not applicable for this region. Please read the rules for using this code"

Guess it doesn't work for NA. Or it might not work until 1/1. :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 31, 2021

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Seriously. "Damage half the enemy team in a battle" isn't terribly reasonable as a mission objective.

I feel like I'm getting a better handle on the STA 1, I've been averaging closer to 2000 damage in it lately. The gun handling is still INSANELY trollish and you'll miss a ton of shots that don't feel missable. I really hope the Type 61 and STB-1 are better.

I remember the STA 1 being not horrible, but also felt like I had way less damage than I should have considering the number of shots I had on targets. The Type 61 is one of my favorite tier 9 mediums. The top gun was solid and the turret bounces a lot more than you think it would.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

WOTHAPPYNEWYEAR2022

Doesn't work for my region (NA). I guess I'll have to look at their site to see if there's anything similar.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heres to another full year of not reinstalling this game :cheers: :cheerdoge:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Code not applicable for this region. Please read the rules for using this code"

Guess it doesn't work for NA. Or it might not work until 1/1. :shrug:

Huh weird, usually it's the EU that gets stiffed. Maybe they'll activate it on the NA servers later, or tweet out a NA code?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Huh weird, usually it's the EU that gets stiffed. Maybe they'll activate it on the NA servers later, or tweet out a NA code?

The code also seems to give different things. I didn't get the 2D style, but 10 charges of something. I don't know what they are, where to find them, or what they're supposed to do, but 10 charges is 10 charges.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sayara posted:

The code also seems to give different things. I didn't get the 2D style, but 10 charges of something. I don't know what they are, where to find them, or what they're supposed to do, but 10 charges is 10 charges.

Antiduplicator charges, maybe? They're consumables you can use in the Christmas tree grindfest to prevent RNG from giving you 8 copies of the same item, instead of unique items to fill out your collection.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As with the "X crits/X crits in a single battle" missions, that just means it's Leafblower-o'clock. :hellyeah:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fun to look at my stat progression with the STA-1.

dennyk posted:

As with the "X crits/X crits in a single battle" missions, that just means it's Leafblower-o'clock. :hellyeah:

That's... not a bad idea.

I mean it's TERRIBLE but I'm gonna steal it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The damage 7 enemies and get 7 crits in a battle missions are arty missions and I will reroll them every time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

The damage 7 enemies and get 7 crits in a battle missions are arty missions and I will reroll them every time.

I have trouble getting those when I roll in my B2 mostly because I'm always going for the biggest threats on the enemy team since low-tier pubs never look up how to kill Matildas frontally.

Does anyone know when the "Arnie" missions will end? I'm taking a few days' break from the game and while none of the missions are especially difficult I don't want to screw myself out of rewards.

I know the stated end of the event is supposedly 1/10 but they've extended it before.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 1, 2022

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: it's so loving depressing playing during this christmas event, because 90% of the players are SO loving AWFUL. Five enemy tanks just sitting out in the open in the corridor pass on Fjords. Should anyone shoot at them? NOPE!

Another 1-15.

My bad, I reinstalled over break and haven't played in a long time. When I last played regularly there were only 4 tech trees. I vaguely remember side scraping but I don't think I do it correctly most of the time and all I ever want to do in my 12t is get directly onto someone's butt and rack them. It works 1 out of 50 times but is so funny when it works.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well now, I say that was a successful day at tanks.

The T9 Czech Heavy is loving awesome. It is leaps and bounds better than the T8 tech tree version.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Does anyone know when the "Arnie" missions will end? I'm taking a few days' break from the game and while none of the missions are especially difficult I don't want to screw myself out of rewards.

I know the stated end of the event is supposedly 1/10 but they've extended it before.

I *think* you can have up to 3 missions stored up. I know you can have 2. So you might be ok taking a few days off even if they don't extend.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TracerM17 posted:

I *think* you can have up to 3 missions stored up. I know you can have 2. So you might be ok taking a few days off even if they don't extend.

You can have at least four, because I've let it lapse long enough to have four banked. Maybe once you make progress on one it doesn't count as undone?

Yeah, I currently have FIVE Arnie missions catalogued - two partially finished, three unfinished.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 1, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mesadoram posted:

The T9 Czech Heavy is loving awesome. It is leaps and bounds better than the T8 tech tree version.

The tier 7 is a step above the tier 8 lol.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The Arnie missions can all be completed concurrently if you really wanted to, though some are better suited to certain types of tanks, and some can be a bit tricky to pull off, so best not to save them all until the very last few hours or something.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I did not start my Asia account until the 11th. I wonder if I am going to have enough mission to get all of the rewards.

What SPG line would everyone recommend? Mainly I would use it for the campaign missions and a little light assholerly when I need a break.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The US tier 6 and tier 9 are still the best tech tree arty in the game. Stick with the stun HE shells.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

When I played last week I figured the Tortoise would be good for the blocking missions, and I sure was right. I couldn't get a loving win no matter what I did, but I at least finished all those missions!

Also, from my final battle of the session just moments ago:

Can you guess what happened?

:stare:

(To clarify, shots 3 & 4 in the list are the same one.)

I mean I'm not complaining, but I just didn't expect to bank a shot off the side of a Ferdi (you can figure out where I was aiming) around a rock to hit a poor Skorp!

(And I'm assuming the shot actually went past the muzzle and hit the turret rather than that actually being the hit that penned for damage.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Raged posted:

What SPG line would everyone recommend?

Honestly, none of them. Arty isn't fun to play in any way anymore, they loving murdered the entire class. But if you have to play arty...

McGavin posted:

The US tier 6 and tier 9 are still the best tech tree arty in the game. Stick with the stun HE shells.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, arty is loving dire to play right now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

Yeah, arty is loving dire to play right now.

And counter to what the Reddit braintrust insisted prior to the arty nerf, it has in fact IMO been a terrible thing for the game's overall health. Lightly armoured tanks still take insane damage from arty, but anything with meaningful amounts of armour is nigh on invulnerable.

So now there's absolutely nothing keeping peoples' hull down heavy monsters in check, and so the game has degenerated to an absolutely stale meta where two lines of heavies and heaviums sit on two sides of a hill.

This is doubly true in ranked. In randoms there are usually so few heavies that games are still very quick because one side gets completely flanked and annihilated, but on the EU servers ranked was seriously like "six or seven Kranvagns with a few tank destroyers/sniper mediums" repeated untl the end of time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I said "gently caress It" this morning and bought the 121b with bonds. Gotta say, real good first impression of this tank. Wish I raised up the camo value more though...

Replay: http://wotreplays.eu/site/6130025

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-gcHJgVYw

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Only two games in it so far. I am going to slap this onto the Christmas bonus and run boosters today to at least get some modules done.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Katamari Democracy posted:

Only two games in it so far. I am going to slap this onto the Christmas bonus and run boosters today to at least get some modules done.

It is one of my favorite T9 heavies, you will love it when it is fully upgraded.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hot arty take: if you're going to have arty in the game and function as it's allegedly supposed to (i.e. digging heavies out of solid positions), it should be reworked so that it does damage as a percentage of total hp instead of trying to balance around the damage it does to lightly armored tanks. Limit it to max 2 per side no matter what and if your queue times are too long, boo hoo, play something else.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mesadoram posted:

It is one of my favorite T9 heavies, you will love it when it is fully upgraded.

I just upgraded the tracks, gonna try and get turret and gun by today.

All I am doing is firing gold rounds and hoping for the best lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm used to seeing some poo poo on the EU servers, but this was ... uhh. Uhh...

Then, shortly afterwards:

"wir grüßen uns nicht mit mir haber weil das ist gern sag"
"mit schalom grüßen wir auch nichts"

If my German isn't completely failing me, it's kinda like "we don't greet each other with [me] because it's a dear saying. We don't say hello with 'schalom' either"

It's pretty rare to see literal loving out and proud nazis even on the EU servers. Reported, sent replay and screen caps. Let's see if the guy eats a permaban (lol he won't even get a timeout).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Posit: Are pubbies in low-tier games stupid and gullible enough to shoot at an emblem on the thickest, most sloped part of a tank's frontal armor, simply because it sticks out like a sore thumb?

I had to shrink it a size because by default too much of it draped over that rectangular protrusion that's actually a B1/B2 weakspot. >.>

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Posit: Are pubbies in low-tier games stupid and gullible enough to shoot at an emblem on the thickest, most sloped part of a tank's frontal armor, simply because it sticks out like a sore thumb?

I had to shrink it a size because by default too much of it draped over that rectangular protrusion that's actually a B1/B2 weakspot. >.>

That's a cool idea, but even if you're right it wouldn't really matter because that spot is small to begin with, the derpy dispersion of low tiers means that even if someone aims there they're likely to just hit the flat front, and the strength of those tanks is in sidescraping anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Welp, so much for ever playing T8+ again: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2022/01/03/world-of-tanks-object-279-pictures/

I'm sure it won't be as heavily-armored as the 279(e), but even then.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Ive seen that tank before on a wikipedia page or something. Didnt that tank survive an atom bomb blast or something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Katamari Democracy posted:

Ive seen that tank before on a wikipedia page or something. Didnt that tank survive an atom bomb blast or something?

That's what it was specifically designed to do. The shaping of the hull was engineered in a way to focus the shockwave.

The quad tracks were also to make it able to operate where other tanks couldn't. The only reason it was never fielded is that the swan song was more or less playing for heavy tanks in the early 60s and ol' Nikita supposedly loved missiles so much (space rockets down to ATGMs) that he forbade construction of any more heavy tanks in lieu of smaller and lighter tanks and missile carriers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Welp, so much for ever playing T8+ again: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2022/01/03/world-of-tanks-object-279-pictures/

I'm sure it won't be as heavily-armored as the 279(e), but even then.

:tif:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Any competitive CW clan post-addition: "Do you have the 279?"

Any hyper-competitive CW clan post-addition: "Do you have BOTH 279s?"

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is that a tree tank? Or some clan wars bond thing?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I noticed that I had enough blueprints so that I could research all the remaining tech tree tanks for free, so I spent 250k free exp on modules and now I have this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Is that a tree tank? Or some clan wars bond thing?

No one knows yet.

I mean, ~anyone~ can get the 279(e), of course! :troll:

I'm just assuming it'll be a tech tree tank the same as the VK 7201 and Pz VII are the :airquote: same tank :airquote: save for the former having a 150mm gun and the latter a 128mm.

If anything, given WG's utter disdain for people earning "free" things, perhaps this version will have the 130mm gun instead of a 122mm. If they truly wanted to be evil they'd make it a T10 unlock through the IS-4. Grind a T10 *with* a T10, with a 500k+ xp unlock.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 3, 2022