Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

george iii was apparently correct about settling west of Appalachia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

we havent had a good earthquake in a while

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Now that climate change has impacted McMansionland maybe we will take it serio...sorry, couldn't complete that sentence.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I bet they weren't that beautiful

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Now that climate change has impacted McMansionland maybe we will take it serio...sorry, couldn't complete that sentence.

HAH

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

would the granite countertops and backsplashes be salvageable, lets go find out

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

In the replies, someone threw together a before and after shot.

https://twitter.com/CVielehr/status/1476929992865026051?s=20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmao

each one was an affront to creation and the earth

nature has reclaimed, all is balanced

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
As ugly as those McMansions were, I'm still sad for the people that lost their homes. :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Bob Socko posted:

knew it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bob Socko posted:

I wonder how much each of those houses would sell for and also if wildfire insurance is a thing and also if they had wildfire insurance. Anyways can't wait for what new disaster 2022 brings

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

As ugly as those McMansions were, I'm still sad for the people that lost their homes. :(

Pretty goony using McMansion to mean regularass detached single family homes

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Eh, they look big with an unnecessary number of rooflines. Thats basically the broad brush for "McMansion"

Edit: Took a tour around the neighborhood on street view and there's a lot of smaller houses in there, so not exactly a mcmansion development. Can't blame people for assuming mcmansion area when all you can see are curving streets and cul de sacs, though.

stealie72 has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Dec 31, 2021

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

the ones in the foreground look massive!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Those things pretty much fit the exact definition of McMansion, especially looking at the kind of development they're in. The joke I was originally making was based on the weird, pointless meandering streets that make the area actively hostile to anyone without a car.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Those things pretty much fit the exact definition of McMansion, especially looking at the kind of development they're in. The joke I was originally making was based on the weird, pointless meandering streets that make the area actively hostile to anyone without a car.

Meandering streets like that slow down cars

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Agreed. But boulder is a p drat bougie place.

Most mortgage lenders will require you have insurance for anything that's likely or has a history of happening in your area, I'm sure every house note in the west is required to have fire insurance, and federally mandated flood insurance if you are in a flood zone. Even 100 year (see: 1 year) flood areas.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
wonder if blackrock had any of those homes

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee doesn’t look too bad to live in with climate change if you can escape the occasional flash floods sweeping away your family or an F4 tornado destroying your home on a warm December night

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RC Cola posted:

I wonder how much each of those houses would sell for and also if wildfire insurance is a thing and also if they had wildfire insurance. Anyways can't wait for what new disaster 2022 brings

oh between the lost homes, cleanup, hazmat responses, etc this is absolutely a billion dollar plus event

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Basic Poster posted:

Most mortgage lenders will require you have insurance for anything that's likely or has a history of happening in your area, I'm sure every house note in the west is required to have fire insurance, and federally mandated flood insurance if you are in a flood zone. Even 100 year (see: 1 year) flood areas.

Lmao is this a joke?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Lastgirl posted:

lmao

each one was an affront to creation and the earth

nature has reclaimed, all is balanced

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Those are all 4k sq ft and each sold for over a million years ago...

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Those houses were no angels.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Flambeau posted:

Those are all 4k sq ft and each sold for over a million years ago...

Nah I don't see any columns or balconies or fake towers or anything in those before pictures. That neighborhood doesn't even have any swimming pools

SirPablo posted:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SirPablo posted:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SirPablo posted:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

they have(had) more than i do therefore it is excessive

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you know, you can both hate mcmansions and be upset at the destruction.

reports of 580 homes gone at least. There were, as of last month, only about 1500 detached homes and like 800 condos/duplexes for sale in the entire denver metro area. The crunch is going to get even worse.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

development and sprawl like that, regardless of the cost of the homes, the means of the persons leaving in them, etc. are part of the reason we're in the situation we're in. I feel bad for the human beings who lost things that were important to them, but I'm also going to lmao at it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you know, you can both hate mcmansions and be upset at the destruction.

reports of 580 homes gone at least. There were, as of last month, only about 1500 detached homes and like 800 condos/duplexes for sale in the entire denver metro area. The crunch is going to get even worse.

It sucks. I get it. My house burned down in 2018 and it was a nightmare for a variety of reasons.

I'm still going to laugh at sprawl just like I laughed while I picked through the remains of my home.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For sure, i reckon we're on the same page.

neat facts, a large percentage of the land for sale in the foothills (terrain just like this) is 'speculation only' sale. you aren't allowed to build on it for ten years after purchase. i was shopping for an acre or two a few years back and said "hmm what's this footnote in this ad-OH HELL NO"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Slow down for what? Pedestrians forced to walk on the road because there are no sidewalks? It's objectively a lovely way to design a community, bud.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lmao at thinking the design is intended to do anything but keep people who "don't belong" (unhoused, transient, etc.) from passing through the neighbourhood even by chance

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

dumbass

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

2022 thread title

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1476721706739789824