Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:pusheen:

e: a recent study claims humans could live up to 130 years by the end of this century

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Positive LFT havers, how long did it take for the dreaded line to turn up? They say to wait half an hour/fifteen minutes depending on the test to be sure, but it seems to me unlikely that it'd suddenly turn up when the test has gone white, like old school dog poo poo (remember that? remember the good old days?)

Another negative LFT. Gonna wait a few more hours and then try again. If that one's negative then I'll think about emerging from my hole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely if you were symptomatic you must be able to trigger an LFT if it were covid?

Like it seems weird to be sick enough to feel ill but not apparently sick enough to make the test work.

Which would suggest either it isn't covid or it may even be psychosomatic because you're extremely stressed about it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The rather more apt comparison is Ian Paisley, who didn't even pay for his honorary Doctorate of Divinity, but still insisted on being called Reverend Doctor. I paid my for mine, fair and square.

I paid for my Masters' degree :shobon:. 20 quid to my college. It's Oxbridge and Buttfuck Alabama School of Divinity, they both do the same thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is a fine example of why I'm on Twitter. It's full of people telling on themselves in new & exciting ways & it's very funny.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

forkboy84 posted:

This is a fine example of why I'm on Twitter. It's full of people telling on themselves in new & exciting ways & it's very funny.

I'm glad you can enjoy it, but people who have been roundly owned and yet steadfastly refuse to acknowledge it do a right number on my blood pressure.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Surely if you were symptomatic you must be able to trigger an LFT if it were covid?

Like it seems weird to be sick enough to feel ill but not apparently sick enough to make the test work.

Which would suggest either it isn't covid or it may even be psychosomatic because you're extremely stressed about it.

Nah, it's not uncommon to be symptomatic for awhile before popping positive.

I spoke to a student yesterday who had symptoms for a day or two before doing five (yes, five) LFTs in a row. Three were negative, two were positive. There've been loads of reports of symptomatic people popping negative one hour and positive the next.

I'm going to lay off after the next one for the day, but I'm not just being paranoid. Especially in the situation I'm currently in. If I were home in Exeter I'd do one a day, if that, but I'm not, I'm in a situation where I could easily do in my father

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fair enough then, I don't think you're being paranoid I just would rather you weren't also doing yourself a mischief while doing the responsible thing. Keeping isolated is of course the best choice and is what I would do, just try not to stress too much if possible, being isolated and stressed doesn't make you less contagious than just being isolated.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, it's not uncommon to be symptomatic for awhile before popping positive.

I've seen 3 friends on my feed say that they tested negative for 5-6 days before eventually testing positive on a LFT or PCR. My theory is that there are a lot of lovely fake/faulty LFT kits in circulation, as there are no checks and balances in place, apart from cheques being sent to Tory donors to help with their personal balances.

On the subject of LFT's

https://twitter.com/sstroschein2/status/1476563440739233793

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

^^^^^^^ mm.

OwlFancier posted:

Fair enough then, I don't think you're being paranoid I just would rather you weren't also doing yourself a mischief while doing the responsible thing. Keeping isolated is of course the best choice and is what I would do, just try not to stress too much if possible, being isolated and stressed doesn't make you less contagious than just being isolated.

Honestly I'm not stressed at all. I'm cross at myself for putting myself into a position where this could happen, but otherwise I'm all good, I'm about to do an XCOM marathon and honestly it's nice to have an excuse to be in this room on my own lol

But thanks, dude, honestly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brexit: UK food imports face disruption because ‘medieval’ government IT system not ready for red tape

quote:

Food supplies face further disruption from 1 January due to a "medieval" government IT system that is still not yet ready to process post-Brexit paperwork, The Independent has learned.

Companies importing food from the EU must comply with reams of additional red tape from Saturday but, with just hours to go, it was still not possible for some traders to submit vital details of their cargo because government software is plagued by technical bugs.

Problems primarily affect shipments of fruit, vegetables and plants, with importers also experiencing difficulty logging details of animal products.

The government said it was aware of the issue but had not yet established a workaround, meaning that tens of thousands of importers cannot be sure that they are able to submit required forms for food imports.

It comes at the worst time for the UK, which imports half of all of its food during the winter months, mostly from the EU. The country is particularly dependent on EU imports of fresh fruit and vegetables, with around 90 per cent of lettuces and 85 per cent of tomatoes shipped in from across the Channel.

:toot:

LET THEM EAT <checks notes> NOTHING!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I got called up for jury duty once, told my work I wouldn't be in for a while and everything.

Got another letter about a week before the starting date that said don't worry about it lol, and I've never had to do it again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nenonen posted:

:rip: 100's of millions killed by Vladimir I. Lenin's invention, new year's celebration

I didn't know Lenin was Scottish?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lettuce we are better off without but if they come for my loving potate or turnip then I will riot.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Barry Foster posted:

Positive LFT havers, how long did it take for the dreaded line to turn up? They say to wait half an hour/fifteen minutes depending on the test to be sure, but it seems to me unlikely that it'd suddenly turn up when the test has gone white, like old school dog poo poo (remember that? remember the good old days?)

Another negative LFT. Gonna wait a few more hours and then try again. If that one's negative then I'll think about emerging from my hole.

Fairly soon for clear positive (1-2 minutes), 5-10 minutes for a faint line.
It's all about how they work, which is really quite cool. At the start where you drip, there is a blob of gold nanoparticles attached to spike protein antibodies. The test line is also a line of these antibodies stuck to the paper, and the C line is a line of spike proteins. During a test, the goop creeps down the paper, and you can see the purple-red cloud of the gold nanoparticles being carried along. For a clear one, they carry on past to the stripe of spike proteins where they particles stick giving the C line. If you have any viruses, then as they wash past the gold particles, they stick to them, and then as they go past the T line, they stick to the antibodies there too, thus fixing their attached gold to the T line. The more virus particles, the more gold sticks. The C line then checks the gold particles are working (binding to spike proteins), and the paper isn't mis-aligned.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahaha, loving hell. BBC still BBC'ing

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1476937819197169668

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And here I thought it was some variant of the... chromatogram or whatever it was we did in A level biology?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Looking forward to the Guardian opinion piece 'Vegetables are a luxury we can do without'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

30 minutes would be the absolute outside time, realistically by the time the control stripe is clear-edged it's *incredibly* unlikely the test stripe will suddenly develop.

However it's worth bearing in mind that they're not particularly sensitive - it's not worth (assuming your swab technique was correct) re-testing immediately as it'll give you the same answer whether it's wrong or not. Better to hold off doorknob-licking for another 24 hours and re-test then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The maddening thing about this whole loving pandemic is it really does showcase just how loving selfish so many people are. You're being asked to wear a facemask to limit the amount of germs you spray from your gob, on a bus you're asked to leave the windows open so the air circulates a bit, it's all the most minor of inconveniences & so many people don't just not care, some of them seem to revel in being a selfish oval office. Last time I was on the bus a couple were at the front of the top floor on the double decker, there were loads of seats. So one guy comes on, without a mask, & sits immediately behind them. No loving reason for it so he's asked to maybe back off a bit & he's clearly been dying for this fight & starts raving & it's just "loving shut up you oval office, just think about someone other than yourself for 10 seconds, Jesus". But they seem genuinely convinced they are fighting some sort of really important battle for civil liberties, as if the freedom to be a selfish sack of poo poo is actually an important principle. Drives me bonkers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

I read somewhere in the last few days that if it doesn't turn red until **after** 30 minutes, there could be some other contamination at work not covid. I'll see if I can find the link.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People with very sad lives are desperate to feel like they are doing something heroic and have confused everybody thinking they are a horrible little cumstain with tyranny.

See also: terfs, right wingers in general.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

Every time I've seen a positive the line has been visible as soon as the strip's gone white, even if it's faint at first.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

Fairly soon for clear positive (1-2 minutes), 5-10 minutes for a faint line.
It's all about how they work, which is really quite cool. At the start where you drip, there is a blob of gold nanoparticles attached to spike protein antibodies. The test line is also a line of these antibodies stuck to the paper, and the C line is a line of spike proteins. During a test, the goop creeps down the paper, and you can see the purple-red cloud of the gold nanoparticles being carried along. For a clear one, they carry on past to the stripe of spike proteins where they particles stick giving the C line. If you have any viruses, then as they wash past the gold particles, they stick to them, and then as they go past the T line, they stick to the antibodies there too, thus fixing their attached gold to the T line. The more virus particles, the more gold sticks. The C line then checks the gold particles are working (binding to spike proteins), and the paper isn't mis-aligned.

That is cool, thanks!

EDIT and thanks to all the other repliers too, much obliged

I'm not gonna bother doing anymore today, I think, I'll leave it til the morning

vvvvvv sure, I'm not reading after, was more wondering whether I'd have to wait the full length of time, or whether it was likely to turn up in the first five to ten minutes. Various people (here and elsewhere) have since told me theirs turned up either immediately or after five minutes or so

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 31, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Don't read a test after 30 mins, or you risk having a false positive

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

I've seen 3 friends on my feed say that they tested negative for 5-6 days before eventually testing positive on a LFT or PCR. My theory is that there are a lot of lovely fake/faulty LFT kits in circulation, as there are no checks and balances in place, apart from cheques being sent to Tory donors to help with their personal balances.

On the subject of LFT's

https://twitter.com/sstroschein2/status/1476563440739233793

They just have really lovely sensitivity, which becomes worse when being done by the general public who aren't going to use them perfectly every time. Covid can't exactly avoid infecting your upper respiratory system, so if you test 7 days in a row then you pretty much have to do it wrong every time to get a run of false negatives while contagious.

E;beaten badly

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

big scary monsters posted:

I like to think of the War on Christmas as an eternal fight where every year on December 25th* the Avatar of Christmas is symbolically defeated and has to go back to its shadowy nether realm**, ready to return late the next year to battle it all out again.

*in the UK. Victory in Europe can be anywhere from December 6th to early January depending on country.

**Finland, since Santa canonically lives in Rovaniemi.

Michael Bublé? Yeah, that tracks. Explains why we don't hear of him the rest of the year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Day 8 LFT - another faint line. Boo.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been able to shake a respiratory infection for good 10 days now, although my [tmi] cough is productive [/tmi] so I never really though it was Covid. If I do get Covid I'm stuffed, because these wheezy-rear end lungs and congested nasal passages are struggling enough. Multiple LFTs and a PCR have been negative, and I've been swabbing my throat even with the nose-only swabs. Apparently you shouldn't swab the side with a nose piercing, and there seems to be a huge potential for error if all I do is swab one nostril.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
gently caress me centrists are some intensely awful people aren't they

https://twitter.com/DCIJaneTennison/status/1476927774078218242?s=19

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't remember ever sitting around on NYE with my windows open all afternoon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Recycle used disposable razors (any brand)!

https://www.gillette.co.uk/recycle.list

You apply for an envelope (might take a few weeks to arrive) and can put up to 16 dead razors in it.
You can have up to 4 envelopes a year per household.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

I haven't been able to shake a respiratory infection for good 10 days now, although my [tmi] cough is productive [/tmi] so I never really though it was Covid. If I do get Covid I'm stuffed, because these wheezy-rear end lungs and congested nasal passages are struggling enough. Multiple LFTs and a PCR have been negative, and I've been swabbing my throat even with the nose-only swabs. Apparently you shouldn't swab the side with a nose piercing, and there seems to be a huge potential for error if all I do is swab one nostril.

if you got a negative on PCR then I'd say that's pretty dang definitive that it's not covid, and is instead some other lovely virus

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Barry Foster posted:

if you got a negative on PCR then I'd say that's pretty dang definitive that it's not covid, and is instead some other lovely virus
Unless it's a dodgy 'neighbour of a tory' lab loving up again...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back when I shaved anything I had (still have) an old fashioned safety razor that used the old double sided metal blades.

Was tempted to dispose of them the old fashioned way as well by stuffing them into the cavity wall as an exciting treat for future renovators.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Our household of three all have this mystery cold too. I haven't left the house for weeks, they last left on the 23rd. They started getting cold symptoms on the 26th and I got them on the 27th. They've been getting negative LFTs even this morning (31st) and I'm assuming if they're still negative after the weekend (and definitely Monday) then it's for sure not-covid.

It's just weird and unsettling because it's so much like the omicron symptoms, yet I caught it and developed symptoms far too quickly considering I had to catch it from them while asymptomatic. 5-6 days into symptoms and 8 days minimum after exposure and still no positives just seems nutty.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1476936824501243940

lmao cowards turned off replies.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

My friend’s took a good 20 minutes, we were all surprised. The next day it was immediate so presumably right on the threshold of detection on the first day. My siblings’ (they’re okay!) were immediate and hilariously dark, like “gently caress yeah you have covid”

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 31, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Our household of three all have this mystery cold too. I haven't left the house for weeks, they last left on the 23rd. They started getting cold symptoms on the 26th and I got them on the 27th. They've been getting negative LFTs even this morning (31st) and I'm assuming if they're still negative after the weekend (and definitely Monday) then it's for sure not-covid.

It's just weird and unsettling because it's so much like the omicron symptoms, yet I caught it and developed symptoms far too quickly considering I had to catch it from them while asymptomatic. 5-6 days into symptoms and 8 days minimum after exposure and still no positives just seems nutty.

That sounds eerily familiar, frankly.

Two of my friends had similar things happen too, and they did a bunch of LFTs and one of them did a PCR, all negatory

I mean I guess it's not out of the question that there's a particularly lovely cold doing the rounds at the same time

Juche Couture posted:

My friend’s took a good 20 minutes, we were all surprised. My siblings’ (they’re okay!) were immediate

The disparity is weird, but I guess both are within the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I wonder if the "weird cold" a lot of people seem to be getting now is the same as the "weird cold" quite a lot of people (including me) had in Feb/very early Mar 2020 before Covid became an acknowledged (by the PTB anyway) as much of a thing in the UK but which those of us experienced it are mostly sure it was a brand of covid?

The symptoms folk are describing do seem to be very similar.