Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Since everyone is recommending things, my 2 favorite games I played last year on Switch are Untitled Goose Game and Panzer Paladin! Play them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Happy new years eve goons I am playing picross in the middle of my cities nightclub district on break from work at 8pm. Free stux or I shall rise in his place even more terrible and mad. Thanks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

tuo posted:

Question to Switch experts: can I have a „second Switch“ in regard to my account and digital purchases? If I get a second one, can I download all the stuff I purchased on my account, and it works as long as it‘s not running on the other Switch?

That's exactly it.

Switch A and B can have all the same content, but if A is logged into a game, B is locked out.

And remember to upload cloud saves from A and download on B to resume playing on B or vice versa.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That's exactly it.

Switch A and B can have all the same content, but if A is logged into a game, B is locked out.

And remember to upload cloud saves from A and download on B to resume playing on B or vice versa.

Thank you, that sold me on getting an OLED.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

tuo posted:

Question to Switch experts: can I have a „second Switch“ in regard to my account and digital purchases? If I get a second one, can I download all the stuff I purchased on my account, and it works as long as it‘s not running on the other Switch?

Yeah, with the additional caveat of you have to be online in your secondary switch for it to check with the server. Also on your prime switch it can't be running any game under your account simultaneously or it will kick you out of your game on the secondary switch

But you in fact can run the exact same game in both switches simultaneously if you use your main account on your second switch and any secondary account on your main switch. In this way I play multiplayer games online with my kid with one copy. The main switch is my kid's switch and my OLED I play all my games on is a secondary switch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you disconnect the original switch from wifi you can even play two players on the same game as long as it supports local multiplayer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Counterpoint: I can play as Doctor Strange and I had fun doing that even though it was less good from the previous games which were purged from existence unless you have a PS3 and a used copy.

It was on a whole mess of systems, presumably the wii/360/ps3 versions will be the closest to each other though

Nintendo DS
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable
Wii
Xbox 360

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Happy new years eve goons I am playing picross in the middle of my cities nightclub district on break from work at 8pm. Free stux or I shall rise in his place even more terrible and mad. Thanks.

Happy New Year's Eve! I will be making pea soup and playing Anime High School (Persona 4, on PC) because SMTV hasn't arrived yet.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

Happy New Year's Eve! I will be making pea soup and playing Anime High School (Persona 4, on PC) because SMTV hasn't arrived yet.

Happy New Years Eve indeed. I will be making jambalaya and sitting by the fireplace playing FFXII handheld since we are supposed to get 8+ inches of snow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll watch college football and try to finish Obra Dinn. Bought it several days ago and I've already got half the crew figured out, just gotta finish the rest.

After that I may do some more Loop Hero. I'd love to get into a longer game with a good story, or maybe I'll replay Hollow Knight or Phoenotopia Awakening. Who knows?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
don't forget to post your goty lists everyone, the deadline is in about seventeen hours!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a list but I have trouble properly expressing why I like a game! I’ll power through so that FFXIV can be defeated

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I'll watch college football and try to finish Obra Dinn. Bought it several days ago and I've already got half the crew figured out, just gotta finish the rest.

After that I may do some more Loop Hero. I'd love to get into a longer game with a good story, or maybe I'll replay Hollow Knight or Phoenotopia Awakening. Who knows?

Initially read that as "bought college football" and I was about to shake you violently for an eshop link

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Idk if you follow the GOTY thread but I put Phoenotopia on my list and it's all thanks to you that I discovered it

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

How does obra dinn run on the switch? I see it's on sale, been meaning to grab it .

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It runs perfect

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

bushisms.txt posted:

How does obra dinn run on the switch? I see it's on sale, been meaning to grab it .

This never bothered me in games like BOTW but the animation framerate on this one is the roughest I've ever seen in a Switch game--everybody looks like they're frozen in place even in the action-packed scenes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I posted this over in the Early FPS thread, but I have to extol the virtues of Project Warlock.

If you have ANY love for old-school shooters with modern sensibilities, get it.

The sounds are incredible, the music is some of the best I've heard, and it feels as if the dev took Catacomb: Abyss, Wolfenstein (1992), Heretic, and Blood, added a layer of the excellent Doom mod "Project Brutality" over top of it all. Add in an upgrade and leveling system, and you've got yourself a party.

So absolutely great. I own it on Steam, but might double dip for the Switch version.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Junkie Disease posted:

It runs perfect

Bought thanks.

Argue posted:

This never bothered me in games like BOTW but the animation framerate on this one is the roughest I've ever seen in a Switch game--everybody looks like they're frozen in place even in the action-packed scenes.
I'm kind of aware of the mechanics so I'm guessing this is a joke

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm on the second to last chapter of Steamworld Quest and I give up.

I wanted to like this game, and I even did for some time, but its numerous flaws kept building on each other and at this point I think I actually actively hate it.

The main issue is that it frequently entices and even requires experimentation to beat tough bosses, while at the same time its systems and mechanics make experimentation a major hassle. In most card games that I have enjoyed, like Hearthstone or Magic, for the most part it's really easy to try out different decks or swap a few cards in and out to really refine your strategy. Steamworld Quest makes this maddening in a few different ways.

First, there are five playable characters, but only can only use three in your party at any time. The other two gain less experience and end up underleveled. If you ever want to swap them into your party, you have to grind.

Second, new cards can be crafted and existing cards can be upgraded, using materials gained from battle. If you decide to try a new strategy, that may involve both crafting cards and upgrading cards you are unsure about, using a limited pool of resources. Don't like your new deck? Better go grind materials. And if you also made a party change, chances are you haven't been concentrating on the new character's cards at all and may have to spend a decent chink of resources just getting their basic cards up to parity.

Put these both together, and my will to try out new strategies on a tough boss plummets. There are a lot of cards and combinations that seem interesting on paper, but I'm not interested in hours of grinding to try them out, when - as anyone who has played card games knows - strategies that seem good often fall apart when put to the test.

Overall, this game has an abysmal story and dialog and it not saved by the gameplay. As a fan of the other Steamworld games, I would say avoid this one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not saying you're wrong

Broad strokes ring true to me about the flaws of the game

My memory is a couple years old now but I really don't remember doing much if any grinding to beat that game :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm on the second to last chapter of Steamworld Quest and I give up.

I wanted to like this game, and I even did for some time, but its numerous flaws kept building on each other and at this point I think I actually actively hate it.

The main issue is that it frequently entices and even requires experimentation to beat tough bosses, while at the same time its systems and mechanics make experimentation a major hassle. In most card games that I have enjoyed, like Hearthstone or Magic, for the most part it's really easy to try out different decks or swap a few cards in and out to really refine your strategy. Steamworld Quest makes this maddening in a few different ways.

First, there are five playable characters, but only can only use three in your party at any time. The other two gain less experience and end up underleveled. If you ever want to swap them into your party, you have to grind.

Second, new cards can be crafted and existing cards can be upgraded, using materials gained from battle. If you decide to try a new strategy, that may involve both crafting cards and upgrading cards you are unsure about, using a limited pool of resources. Don't like your new deck? Better go grind materials. And if you also made a party change, chances are you haven't been concentrating on the new character's cards at all and may have to spend a decent chink of resources just getting their basic cards up to parity.

Put these both together, and my will to try out new strategies on a tough boss plummets. There are a lot of cards and combinations that seem interesting on paper, but I'm not interested in hours of grinding to try them out, when - as anyone who has played card games knows - strategies that seem good often fall apart when put to the test.

Overall, this game has an abysmal story and dialog and it not saved by the gameplay. As a fan of the other Steamworld games, I would say avoid this one.

drat. It's funny that the dev would mess it up so much with such glaring problems. They tend to fine-tune things in my opinion.

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm kind of aware of the mechanics so I'm guessing this is a joke

It is thankfully. Maybe it's been memory-holed enough that I can give it a whirl again.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Bloop posted:

My memory is a couple years old now but I really don't remember doing much if any grinding to beat that game :shrug:

For what it's worth I'm playing on the highest difficulty. I think I could manage to squeak through to the end without much grinding using my current setup. It's more that I would love to try out different synergies and party compositions because that's the fun part of playing a card game, but you must grind to do so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Harriet Carker posted:

For what it's worth I'm playing on the highest difficulty. I think I could manage to squeak through to the end without much grinding using my current setup. It's more that I would love to try out different synergies and party compositions because that's the fun part of playing a card game, but you must grind to do so.

Could always do a 2nd play.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

pixaal posted:

Could always do a 2nd play.

Yeah. That's an option, but I feel burnt out. The main issue I'm feeling is when I try a fight and think "Oh, I bet a good strategy would be to use character X with skill Y that will synergize with..." and I realize that I don't have those cards and that character is 5 levels below my current party so I go "Ehh, screw it, I'll just power through using the same strategy I've been using"

Two simple changes would almost entirely fix this issue for me. One - share exp equally among all characters. Two, get rid of card upgrades and make card crafting the only resource sink. If I'm already deciding to spend resources on an unproven card, I shouldn't have to also spend resources upgrading it just because otherwise it will seem underpowered by default compared to my currently upgraded cards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Harriet Carker posted:

Found the problem. Don't do this on a first playthrough

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Len posted:

Found the problem. Don't do this on a first playthrough

The default difficulty is so ridiculously easy. There's no challenge whatsoever and you can breeze through every fight without thinking. It doesn't feel worth playing to me at all.

Again, I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I've only died a few times overall. I'd just like experimentation with different decks and party compositions to not involve grinding.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

tuo posted:

You can download and play any game you've bought digitally on any switch. If it's not your primary switch you'll need an internet connection to phone home and check that you're not playing it on a different switch at the same time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Steamworld Quest just isn't that great compared to the devs' other output. It's hard to make a good deckbuilder

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

My partner got a Switch from family for Christmas and I was wondering what are some reliable/good options for controllers when it's docked?

I already hate the design and feel of the joycons so the one where you slot them in isn't going to be for me. The price point for the official controllers seem absurd, but I've also been out of the console game for ages and that could just be where they are at now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My 2021 GOTY is still Breath of the Wild. It's absurd what Nintendo managed to do with that game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Canopus250 posted:

My partner got a Switch from family for Christmas and I was wondering what are some reliable/good options for controllers when it's docked?

I already hate the design and feel of the joycons so the one where you slot them in isn't going to be for me. The price point for the official controllers seem absurd, but I've also been out of the console game for ages and that could just be where they are at now.

Controllers have just been expensive for a while now, the Switch ones go on sale for $10 off pretty often. The official pro controllers are really solid though, I use them for PC monster hunter etc. as well.

There are some good third parties like 8bitdo, too

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, an 8Bitdo Pro 2 is a pretty good option. It can’t power on the console unfortunately, but it’s a hard one to beat, especially if you pick up an Amazon Warehouse deal.

Otherwise, I’d probably pay up for the official Pro controller. I haven’t owned one ever though.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The Pro controller is A+ and worth the price of admission.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback everybody.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

This post reminded me I had this on my wish list so I went ahead and bought it too.

Saw Disco Elysium was on sale too and bought it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
don't stop there. keep buying games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Must own games, ranked most essential to least:

Cartridge / Digital:
shin megami tensei 5

fix your e list for you.