Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Does James Hoffman's v60 technique need less coffee than the 4:6 method?

I've been using 16gm of coffee to about 300gm of water for all my v60 pours, although I doubt my scales are perfectly accurate. With Hoffman's technique I got a more full, rich brew. I tried the 4:6 method for the pour, with five 60gm pours, but with only 16gm of coffee and it was a lot weaker. I know I'm not using the recommended amount of coffee for the 4:6 method, but with everything else being roughly the same Hoffman's technique created a stronger, richer flavour.

your 1:18.75 (~53g/L) ratio is quite high and will tend to produce "weaker" coffee, hoffmann uses 60g/L or roughly 1:16.66, tetsu's 4:6 uses 1:15. likely the difference here is in extraction

lots of people trying the 4:6 end up with underextracted coffee because the whole brew can't maintain temperature nearly as well as it could if you were pouring more water at a time (i think the method is bad and the whole schtick about the first two pours determining the balance of sweet/acid is basically made up, but some people seem to like it)

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah, it's bigger and meant to do pour overs. I'm not really sure what the used case is vs a v60 but it looks cool.

I think it’s just a way to eliminate a few variables and simplify a pour over, for more consistent results.

Im not sure I’d prefer that to just investing in a good, consistent batch brewer, but I’d be interested to try the coffee.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mrenda posted:

Does James Hoffman's v60 technique need less coffee than the 4:6 method?

I've been using 16gm of coffee to about 300gm of water for all my v60 pours, although I doubt my scales are perfectly accurate. With Hoffman's technique I got a more full, rich brew. I tried the 4:6 method for the pour, with five 60gm pours, but with only 16gm of coffee and it was a lot weaker. I know I'm not using the recommended amount of coffee for the 4:6 method, but with everything else being roughly the same Hoffman's technique created a stronger, richer flavour.

Yeah, I usually do 18:300 for Hoffman, and 20:300 for 4:6, and the 4:6 comes out a little less strong. I usually like Hoffman’s method more, and 4:6 to make a sweeter more mild cup with coffees that might come out harsh or bitter. 4:6 seems more foolproof but extracts less.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Has anyone tried the tricolate brewer? If so how was it? Scott Rao has been big fan for the last couple of months and I was looking for other opinions.

https://tricolate.com/

I saw he recommends 10 minutes of brew time, which seems like a lot? I guess the temp stays high if most of the water goes in at the end, but that’s like 5x the time the clever dripper takes

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah, I usually do 18:300 for Hoffman, and 20:300 for 4:6, and the 4:6 comes out a little less strong. I usually like Hoffman’s method more, and 4:6 to make a sweeter more mild cup with coffees that might come out harsh or bitter. 4:6 seems more foolproof but extracts less.

Maybe this sounds off to someone looking at weights and measurements, and wants to be precise, but I think Hoffman's method is a lot more intuitive. Small pour-get the coffee going, big pour-the coffee is brewing, keep it topped up until you have a cup-the coffee is finished off. All this along with a few swirls in between to ensure the coffee is actually being used. This, to me, makes a lot of sense. Not necessarily from a science or best technique perspective, but from the actual size of the v60 and what's before you.

I figure if you handed someone a ready to go v60 and said, "pour water now" without any other instruction, his method would be closer to what most people do anyway.

I'll try more grounds today with my fruitier coffee and see how it goes.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

getting this to a new page

ulvir posted:

I love JH's aeropress method, but I want to add 30g extra water to get the cup just that closer to full, at the same time I also want to mantain the ratio from 11g to 200g. would you round up to 2g extra for the beans, or get as close to 1,8333...g as possible? (that's what 5,5/3 gets you)

in short, for 30g extra water, do I add a whole 2g extra grounds or closer to 1,83g extra if I want to maintain the same ratio from 11g to 200g? how tight are the margins for these kind of things?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 31, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

getting this to a new page

in short, for 30g extra water, do I add a whole 2g extra grounds or closer to 1,83g extra if I want to maintain the same ratio from 11g to 200g? how tight are the margins for these kind of things?

it's very unlikely you'll notice the difference

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so in other words, save myself the headache and just aim for 13g?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ulvir posted:

so in other words, save myself the headache and just aim for 13g?

Yeah

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mrenda posted:

Maybe this sounds off to someone looking at weights and measurements, and wants to be precise, but I think Hoffman's method is a lot more intuitive. Small pour-get the coffee going, big pour-the coffee is brewing, keep it topped up until you have a cup-the coffee is finished off. All this along with a few swirls in between to ensure the coffee is actually being used. This, to me, makes a lot of sense. Not necessarily from a science or best technique perspective, but from the actual size of the v60 and what's before you.

I figure if you handed someone a ready to go v60 and said, "pour water now" without any other instruction, his method would be closer to what most people do anyway.

I completely agree with this. Now that I've been using a V60 for a while I often both dose and pour by eye and while I'm sure my weights are all over the place it's still close enough to good that I can't really tell that anything is off. One day I should try a side-by-side with doing it the right way and see how far away I am, but as long as I can't tell the difference it's one less moving piece at 6am.

If I'm going to spend time and money doing fiddly coffee bullshit I'd rather spend it on espresso -- speaking of which my wife got me one of those distributor/leveler tools for Christmas and I haven't seen a shot channel since. Excellent little gadget.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Through some odd but uninteresting circumstances I have come to own an old Delonghi EC5 espresso machine, it has no controls besides an on/off switch, a steam spout thingy that I think has never been used, and some scaling visible on the neck of the water container, but otherwise seems to be in okay shape.

I tried using it a couple times with the "Lavazza" coffee that was with it and while I enjoyed the process, I have some complaints.

First, I suspect the coffee itself is quite bad, the solution to this is obviously to buy good coffee, easy enough, now I would need to grind that coffee, with this old machine in mind (if that matters) what's the cheapest I can get away with here? $30~ for one of those plastic hario things? something like this says it has a stainless steel burr rather than a ceramic one, but are the 6 huge steps a dealbreaker? The next step would be about $60 for a Timemore C2, right? Or is it pointless to get any of those for this purpose?

Second, the portafilter/basket holder is plastic and I hate it, can I just swap it out for a metal one? I can't quite tell if these things have common threading and I just need to make sure the size is right, I believe it's 51mm on this thing but I'm not 100% sure. Looking at something like this, there's a bunch on Amazon that seem similar all from bullshit-sounding brands, I dunno if there's a more reputable source/name in this or if this would even fit at all though.

Is there anything else I can do to get a good experience out of this machine? Alternatively if doing so is hopeless, I'd like to know that too.

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 31, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I completely agree with this. Now that I've been using a V60 for a while I often both dose and pour by eye and while I'm sure my weights are all over the place it's still close enough to good that I can't really tell that anything is off. One day I should try a side-by-side with doing it the right way and see how far away I am, but as long as I can't tell the difference it's one less moving piece at 6am.

If I'm going to spend time and money doing fiddly coffee bullshit I'd rather spend it on espresso -- speaking of which my wife got me one of those distributor/leveler tools for Christmas and I haven't seen a shot channel since. Excellent little gadget.

With my supermarket beans it was difficult to make a good coffee. There were obvious problems with it and I had to work at making it good. With specialty beans the v60 seemingly worked with any nearly-there pour. It's at the point (which is my limitation) where I don't see any obvious flaws from my pour, and the difference in taste could be any number of things, and differences I mostly attribute to the time of day, whether I'm fresh in the morning or tired at the end of the day. Whether something has annoyed me that morning, or whether I'm impatient or distracted.

I understand people's desire for espresso in that sense. It's a far stronger product where the base product is more intense in-itself, so any flaws seem likely to have a more concrete origin, rather than being down to the moon, sun, or whether you had a garlic pasta the night before. I just look at the cost of a really good espresso setup. And compared to my €90 for grinder, v60, filters and beans it seems like fantasy. Especially, at the moment, when I can go to a café and spend €2.50 to get an absolute expert to make me something that is a fantasy for me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Through some odd but uninteresting circumstances I have come to own an old Delonghi EC5 espresso machine, it has no controls besides an on/off switch, a steam spout thingy that I think has never been used, and some scaling visible on the neck of the water container, but otherwise seems to be in okay shape.

I tried using it a couple times with the "Lavazza" coffee that was with it and while I enjoyed the process, I have some complaints.

First, I suspect the coffee itself is quite bad, the solution to this is obviously to buy good coffee, easy enough, now I would need to grind that coffee, with this old machine in mind (if that matters) what's the cheapest I can get away with here? $30~ for one of those plastic hario things? something like this says it has a stainless steel burr rather than a ceramic one, but are the 6 huge steps a dealbreaker? The next step would be about $60 for a Timemore C2, right? Or is it pointless to get any of those for this purpose?

Second, the portafilter/basket holder is plastic and I hate it, can I just swap it out for a metal one? I can't quite tell if these things have common threading and I just need to make sure the size is right, I believe it's 51mm on this thing but I'm not 100% sure. Looking at something like this, there's a bunch on Amazon that seem similar all from bullshit-sounding brands, I dunno if there's a more reputable source/name in this or if this would even fit at all though.

Is there anything else I can do to get a good experience out of this machine? Alternatively if doing so is hopeless, I'd like to know that too.

This was my start machine.

Were you using the lavazaa pre ground for espresso? That stuff works, but it’s just acceptable. What you really need is an espresso caliber grinder to grind fine enough, which is $$$, even for a hand grinder. I don’t know my grinders well so I’m not the one to help.

As far as the portafilter, I know it sucks. But frankly, Investing that money into a better machine may be more worth your time. I do not believe the one you linked is compatible.

Here’s my advice. Get some descaling solution and descale the thing (I’d run two full descale cycles).

Take off the shower screen (the metal screen where the portafilter meets the body of the machine) and clean that/under there.

Disassemble the basket (it unscrews, use a butter knife if needed) and clean all that poo poo out. It’s probably gross as hell.

After all that, try the lavazza pre ground again. But this time, play with how much you put into the portafilter by weight. If I remember correctly, ~14g was a good spot for that coffee. And tamp the hell out of it, just make sure it’s flat. Always use the bigger basket.

If it’s sour, more coffee. If it’s bitter less.

The descale is the most important part. You will not believe the difference it makes.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Hawkperson posted:

I told my family I was making fancy coffee and asked for beans knowing full well what I’d get lol. And oh my god after drinking some well roasted coffee the last few weeks I finally get why everyone says Starbucks beans are burnt. Holy poo poo

In all fairness, so many of their customers drink caramel loaded sugar bombs that they can't really tell the difference.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

In all fairness, so many of their customers drink caramel loaded sugar bombs that they can't really tell the difference.

like honestly it's drinkable if you add a ton of sugar and cream so I get it. I just hadn't realized how much my tastes had developed haha

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a Fellow Ode for my girlfriend for Xmas and so far its been fine but today it sounded like we had some sort of jam already so I took it apart and cleaned it but now I am getting some horrific screeching when trying to run the grinder after reassembling it. If I set it to 11 its fine but if I set it to 4 it makes a shitload of noise. It also feels like I'm getting resistance when dialing it down that low meaning the dial does not turn as easily. The spring doesn't appear to be improperly seated and I have no idea what else could be causing this. Any suggestions?

edit: it appears that I am not supposed to fully seat the screws that hold the dial in place? backed them all out slightly and the dial doesn't have any resistance anymore when turning. seems like an imprecise way to change the grind since the dial just pushes the burr in a little more. I wasn't cranking it tight, just enough where the screw wouldn't easily turn anymore.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 31, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This was my start machine.

Were you using the lavazaa pre ground for espresso? That stuff works, but it’s just acceptable. What you really need is an espresso caliber grinder to grind fine enough, which is $$$, even for a hand grinder. I don’t know my grinders well so I’m not the one to help.

As far as the portafilter, I know it sucks. But frankly, Investing that money into a better machine may be more worth your time. I do not believe the one you linked is compatible.

Here’s my advice. Get some descaling solution and descale the thing (I’d run two full descale cycles).

Take off the shower screen (the metal screen where the portafilter meets the body of the machine) and clean that/under there.

Disassemble the basket (it unscrews, use a butter knife if needed) and clean all that poo poo out. It’s probably gross as hell.

After all that, try the lavazza pre ground again. But this time, play with how much you put into the portafilter by weight. If I remember correctly, ~14g was a good spot for that coffee. And tamp the hell out of it, just make sure it’s flat. Always use the bigger basket.

If it’s sour, more coffee. If it’s bitter less.

The descale is the most important part. You will not believe the difference it makes.

Yeah I was using pre ground stuff from a tin, I know I need a grinder (or to always custom order preground espresso/fine grind) but I was hoping to only spend $$ and not $$$.

Appreciate the cleaning advice, it's not actually as gross as you might think as the machine basically only saw use about 3-4 weeks out of any year since whenever it was purchased, but I'll still get to it. How does descaling work, do I just pour stuff in there and flip it upside down later or does it actually have to run through the machine somehow? I've seen reference to descaling/cleaning modes on some more fancy machines but obviously this has none of that.

I think I only have one basket, it's got markings for 2 about halfway and 4 near the top, presumably that's the big one? I've just been following the matching markings on that and on the water container, should I just be going with weighing both the coffee and the water, and ignoring what the machine says?

I haven't really thought about buying a better machine for the same reason that I didn't think of buying one at all before this fell in my lap, I've been mostly "grinding" coffee with a Magic Bullet and making it with absolutely no measuring in an cheap old Cuisinart drip coffee thing, so my standards are pretty low.

That being said, I know how these things go, so quote this post at me in 6 months when I'm talking about whatever dumb poo poo I spent money on.

E: Also, on the subject of dose, I see 1:2 mentioned a lot, does that mean I'm literally only pouring in 28 grams of water in to the machine if I'm putting 14 grams of coffee in the basket? That seems like a tiny amount of liquid and way below the indicator lines on the carafe, but I guess the machine won't explode?

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 31, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I understand people's desire for espresso in that sense. It's a far stronger product where the base product is more intense in-itself, so any flaws seem likely to have a more concrete origin, rather than being down to the moon, sun, or whether you had a garlic pasta the night before. I just look at the cost of a really good espresso setup. And compared to my €90 for grinder, v60, filters and beans it seems like fantasy. Especially, at the moment, when I can go to a café and spend €2.50 to get an absolute expert to make me something that is a fantasy for me.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I think that at-home espresso very easily becomes a hobbyist thing in the same vein as like loving around with old cars or building model trains or whatever -- it's as much about the process and domain knowledge and geegaw collection as it is with producing a tasty end product. I'm both pretty new to it and have mostly low-end gear and for what I've spent I probably would have saved a very significant amount of money (and got better espresso) if I instead bought all the shots I made, but it just wouldn't be as fun or interesting to me.

But also I got my espresso machine as a wedding gift and without that I doubt I would have ever been able to justify dropping that kind of money just to get a basic set up going, especially without knowing beforehand if I'd really get into it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I got a Fellow Ode for my girlfriend for Xmas and so far its been fine but today it sounded like we had some sort of jam already so I took it apart and cleaned it but now I am getting some horrific screeching when trying to run the grinder after reassembling it. If I set it to 11 its fine but if I set it to 4 it makes a shitload of noise. It also feels like I'm getting resistance when dialing it down that low meaning the dial does not turn as easily. The spring doesn't appear to be improperly seated and I have no idea what else could be causing this. Any suggestions?

edit: it appears that I am not supposed to fully seat the screws that hold the dial in place? backed them all out slightly and the dial doesn't have any resistance anymore when turning. seems like an imprecise way to change the grind since the dial just pushes the burr in a little more. I wasn't cranking it tight, just enough where the screw wouldn't easily turn anymore.

The screws should all be tight. It sounds like the dial might not be properly calibrated. You should try following this video guide to reset the zero point on the dial. It's easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzMw4UcTfY

I think when you reassembled it you probably turned the dial a few clicks too fine without realising. I think the sound you're hearing is the burrs touching. When properly calibrated they shouldn't touch.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Brut posted:

Yeah I was using pre ground stuff from a tin, I know I need a grinder (or to always custom order preground espresso/fine grind) but I was hoping to only spend $$ and not $$$.

Appreciate the cleaning advice, it's not actually as gross as you might think as the machine basically only saw use about 3-4 weeks out of any year since whenever it was purchased, but I'll still get to it. How does descaling work, do I just pour stuff in there and flip it upside down later or does it actually have to run through the machine somehow? I've seen reference to descaling/cleaning modes on some more fancy machines but obviously this has none of that.

I think I only have one basket, it's got markings for 2 about halfway and 4 near the top, presumably that's the big one? I've just been following the matching markings on that and on the water container, should I just be going with weighing both the coffee and the water, and ignoring what the machine says?

I haven't really thought about buying a better machine for the same reason that I didn't think of buying one at all before this fell in my lap, I've been mostly "grinding" coffee with a Magic Bullet and making it with absolutely no measuring in an cheap old Cuisinart drip coffee thing, so my standards are pretty low.

That being said, I know how these things go, so quote this post at me in 6 months when I'm talking about whatever dumb poo poo I spent money on.

E: Also, on the subject of dose, I see 1:2 mentioned a lot, does that mean I'm literally only pouring in 28 grams of water in to the machine if I'm putting 14 grams of coffee in the basket? That seems like a tiny amount of liquid and way below the indicator lines on the carafe, but I guess the machine won't explode?

Make sure you get real descaler and don't use vinegar. Its not expensive, does a better job, and doesn't leave a vinegar aftertaste due vinegar getting absorbed into built up scale it couldn't remove. It should come with instructions, but basically you add the prescribed amount of descaler plus water to the tank and just run the mixture through the machine. Then empty and clean the tank and run more regular water through it.

I used a De'Longhi ECP3420 with a cheap Capresso grinder for a couple years. These De'Longhi's come with pressurized portafilter baskets, which let you use a really wide range of coffee and produce a relatively high floor but low ceiling espresso. You can find 51mm baskets, portafiliters, and accessories on Amazon. I used that setup to learn on before deciding I wanted to spend more on slightly nicer stuff. I currently have a Gaggia Classic Pro and a Baratza Sette 270wi.

If you just want something to grind at home that's not a terrible blade chopper, the pressurized basket on that thing lets you get by with a cheap-ish burr option. If you want something that has a little more future proofing to it, the Lagom Mini with the 48mm burrs is getting a lot of buzz and is under $400. This is a good Hoffman video on grinders in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgjvLQu5NlE

Just know there's almost no top end on what you can spend on home espresso gear, so what seems expensive to you now may seem like a budget choice after that 6 months.

The 1:2 dose thing means you put in 14g in ground coffee and then run 28g of liquid into the cup. You'll need some kind of slim scale that fits under your cup to do that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been eyeing moka pots and Hoffman's new video makes me want to finally grab one. The advertising says you only need to rinse them with water. Do you guys do any other upkeep?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Get some descaling solution (I like liquid dezcal)

Urnex Liquid Dezcal Activated Descaler - 33.6 Ounce - For Use With Coffee Brewers Espresso Pod and Capsule Machines Kettles Garmet Steamers and Domestic Irons https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NRZ6F0/

Follow bottle instructions for water/solution mix.

Fill the entire tank with the mixture and turn on the brew without the portafilter. Run it in like 20-30 second intervals on and off until your clear all the water. Intermittently also run water out the steam wand, even if it’s never been used. There will be scale buildup on that valve.

For this first time I’d do that twice, then run a full tank water only to clear out the solution.

As far as dose, this machine is hard because clearance is so small. The general rule of thumb is

1 (coffee in):2-2.5 (liquid out) by weight, in as close to 30 seconds as possible (above or below is bad).

This is usually achieved by weighting the shot as it comes out , but that’s impossible with your machine. You also can’t preweigh the water because the machine won’t get the dregs at the bottom of the tank, and you’re weighing the water PLUS dissolved coffee at the end.

My workflow on that machine was fill water tank, then

1. Weigh coffee

2. Tare scale to empty cups

3. Pull shot for 30 seconds.

4. Weigh shots and see how close you are to 1:2.5

Adjust coffee amount by weight until you hit near 1:2 or so. I found that machine had better results at 1:2.5 in general, especially cause the baskets are small. Less coffee if below 1:2, more coffee if above.

Never change the 30 seconds. If you get a grinder you can keep try adjusting grind instead of coffee weight, but unless you spend $150+ on a grinder that’s going to be hard.

This is the single basket

Delonghi 7313285829 Small 1 Cup Filter Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DHHF3I/

The double is significantly higher from the rubber seal. The single basket sucks.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
So I'm turning the machine on, starting a timer when the coffee starts coming out, and then just hitting the power button after 30 seconds? I do have a small scale I could fit under there so I could weigh the shot as it's coming out, unless sitting on the little drain grate would mess it up.

Ordered that Dezcal stuff, seems cheap enough especially with the 45% Subscribe & Save discount, and my kettle could use descaling too, hopefully one bottle is enough for now.

Appreciate all this advice, I will continue to accept all of it, though my wallet may not.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been eyeing moka pots and Hoffman's new video makes me want to finally grab one. The advertising says you only need to rinse them with water. Do you guys do any other upkeep?
You should soap it once in a while — there are obviously coffee oils and Hoffman makes clear you don’t want old coffee bits sticking around.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

So I'm turning the machine on, starting a timer when the coffee starts coming out, and then just hitting the power button after 30 seconds? I do have a small scale I could fit under there so I could weigh the shot as it's coming out, unless sitting on the little drain grate would mess it up.

Ordered that Dezcal stuff, seems cheap enough especially with the 45% Subscribe & Save discount, and my kettle could use descaling too, hopefully one bottle is enough for now.

Appreciate all this advice, I will continue to accept all of it, though my wallet may not.

You will use like 2-3 TBSP per descale abs the bottle is huge.

You would do exactly as you described.

If you can fit the scale with the glass, it’s better to shoot for the 1:2.5 weight ratio and adjust based on how close you can get to 30 second brew time for that weight.

The trick is to keep everything exactly the same except a single variable.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This is roughly where I am too. I still weigh out beans and the pours but I'm very lax in regards to both.

My next coffee project is going to be modding my gaggia in some way.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mrenda posted:

I switched to Scott Rao's v60 method when I'm doing a single cup-- it's basically Hoffmann's method but he breaks it into two pours and rather than trying to time out the pours he basically blooms, pours up to 60% as quickly as possible while maintaining a steady vertical flow of water from a gooseneck kettle, lets it drain a little, and then pours up to the final weight and gives it a swirl. I think Hoffmann's method is great if you're doing 500ml or more but I don't think his very specific timings and pour speeds scale down well.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RichterIX posted:

I think Hoffmann's method is great if you're doing 500ml or more but I don't think his very specific timings and pour speeds scale down well.

This is what I have discovered too. I think it scales down to 25g of coffee while maintaining the ratios pretty well. Anything lower tends to be very meh.

The 4:6 method is also very good for small batches of coffee.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Rocket (Appartamento) owners, I'm starting to notice now after a year-ish of owning one (and using it once daily, twice at most), the valve for the steam wand is starting to feel like it needs some lubrication—it feels a little grindy when I switch it on, and especially after frothing milk, it grinds a little worse and makes a squeaking sound. Is there a specific type of lubricant (or something else) I should use here, or would plain ol' WD-40 do the trick?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Abner Assington posted:

Rocket (Appartamento) owners, I'm starting to notice now after a year-ish of owning one (and using it once daily, twice at most), the valve for the steam wand is starting to feel like it needs some lubrication—it feels a little grindy when I switch it on, and especially after frothing milk, it grinds a little worse and makes a squeaking sound. Is there a specific type of lubricant (or something else) I should use here, or would plain ol' WD-40 do the trick?

I can’t help you with your specific issue but my understanding is that the Appartamento needs a yearly service anyway. Maybe get that done?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Abner Assington posted:

I would strongly recommend against the use of WD-40 around things you use to make food. Use a food-rated silicone lubricant if you're going to try and lube it up yourself.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Everyone together now: WD-40 is not a lubricant

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I switched to Scott Rao's v60 method when I'm doing a single cup-- it's basically Hoffmann's method but he breaks it into two pours and rather than trying to time out the pours he basically blooms, pours up to 60% as quickly as possible while maintaining a steady vertical flow of water from a gooseneck kettle, lets it drain a little, and then pours up to the final weight and gives it a swirl. I think Hoffmann's method is great if you're doing 500ml or more but I don't think his very specific timings and pour speeds scale down well.

That sounds more similar to what I'm doing, because I still don't quite understand the timing of draining the water. For me it's a case of once the water is in it drains as it wants to drain, and pouring the water in I'm just doing it as well as my kettle allows. I think that's the thing, though. People talk about super precise times, flows, etc. but I'm more buying into the general idea and movement of what you're supposed to be doing. And with good beans I'm getting fairly decent coffee. Although one thing I think would be interesting would be moving back to my supermarket beans because when I was first trying the v60 they really highlighted problems with the pour unlike the specialty beans. I was getting things like salty, sour, astringent, bitter, so there were obvious flaws to the taste that I had to correct in the next pour. While the good beans just taste pretty good.

I also moved from 16gm for 300gm of water to 18gm for 300gm of water, and it's made some difference, quite a bit of a difference. It seems obvious to say it but the coffee is fuller and rounder, and I'm tasting the cup as a more whole, integrated experience. I'd say this is sort of good. It is good if I want a cup of joe, but with less coffee the nuances of the coffee seemed more exposed. I did have to work to pick them out, but they were far more obvious than when I do the same thing with the 18gm.

I think I'll open my third bag of beans today. These are the natural processed ones from Costa Rica.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Times, weights, flow control, distribution tools and all the accoutrements that come with coffee are all in the service of one goal, repeatability. Especially in espresso but in all preparations every now and then you'll get just the most magnificent cup you've ever had in your life, then the next time you prepare that same bean you'll be let down and chasing the dragon. I'm of the view that it is less a science and more in the performance of the piece. The numbers and ratios allow you to get close, they're a guideline, but the real work comes after the first by the books preparation is achieved in adjusting for that particular roast. They're are guidelines to help you, if it's sour then you should extract more, but the only thing that can get you that final 5% is personal experience on your particular setup.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the self-confidence I gained from nailing the aeropress and grind from 1st try was swiftly broken down when I tried doing a v60. the first grind was so fine the bed looked like mud and the drawdown was complete between 8 and 9 minutes. the second attempt was slightly better with 4:30 brew time, but it still tasted like a typical mediocre cup of coffee. going into this I thought my biggest challenge would be doing the swirls without making a mess, but turns out it's 1) dialing in properly and 2) learning how to pour properly.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

the self-confidence I gained from nailing the aeropress and grind from 1st try was swiftly broken down when I tried doing a v60. the first grind was so fine the bed looked like mud and the drawdown was complete between 8 and 9 minutes. the second attempt was slightly better with 4:30 brew time, but it still tasted like a typical mediocre cup of coffee. going into this I thought my biggest challenge would be doing the swirls without making a mess, but turns out it's 1) dialing in properly and 2) learning how to pour properly.

Try watching this video. It's using a Kalita Wave, but it'll work fine with a V60 as well. It's a pretty simple technique but results in a great cup. Pay particular attention to the section that talks about pouring height. That can make a big difference.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gunder posted:

Try watching this video. It's using a Kalita Wave, but it'll work fine with a V60 as well. It's a pretty simple technique but results in a great cup. Pay particular attention to the section that talks about pouring height. That can make a big difference.

the point about the height seems relevant. since I only have a regular electric kettle, it's probably going to take a few tries to find the right balance for blooming and the first pour, where I agitate the bed just enough but not too hard.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm drinking my first natural coffee. It tastes like a boiled hangover, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it's certainly interesting. Like my mouth (or worse) the morning after I've drunk six stouts, a bottle of wine and two-fifths of a bottle of whiskey.

As I'm drinking it's actually quite nice. It'd be better with a bit more dry-ness, maybe, or some depth/impact up front. Which means I think I need to extract the grounds a bit more. Maybe a finer grind? It all seems to be on the linger/aftertaste rather than anything immediate. There's some banana, or tropical taste to it, and I feel like it needs an alcohol-like impact on first taste. It's definitely the fastest I've drunk any of my v60 brews because I keep going back to it.

And I've been thinking about the 16gm versus 18gm brews I've been doing. With less coffee it seemed easier to pick out the really high points of the notes. I had to work for them, but when I tasted them they were obvious. With 18gm I'm getting a much "bulkier" brew that's rounded out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gunder posted:

Yeah, this is the one I mentioned earlier and I think it's perfect for a single cup, and I think the pouring height is what makes the big difference by agitating just the right amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mrenda posted:

I'm drinking my first natural coffee. It tastes like a boiled hangover, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it's certainly interesting. Like my mouth (or worse) the morning after I've drunk six stouts, a bottle of wine and two-fifths of a bottle of whiskey.

As I'm drinking it's actually quite nice. It'd be better with a bit more dry-ness, maybe, or some depth/impact up front. Which means I think I need to extract the grounds a bit more. Maybe a finer grind? It all seems to be on the linger/aftertaste rather than anything immediate. There's some banana, or tropical taste to it, and I feel like it needs an alcohol-like impact on first taste. It's definitely the fastest I've drunk any of my v60 brews because I keep going back to it.

And I've been thinking about the 16gm versus 18gm brews I've been doing. With less coffee it seemed easier to pick out the really high points of the notes. I had to work for them, but when I tasted them they were obvious. With 18gm I'm getting a much "bulkier" brew that's rounded out.

You can try doing a bigger bloom…like instead of 2x as much water as coffee, do 3x, this will bring out a little more acidity. But in general, natural coffees have less acidity.

Has anyone ever noticed a kind of grainy, corny taste with some coffees? I’m drinking my Peru right now that I just did with a French press, and I’m getting some of it. The best analogy is in unbuttered stale popcorn. I don’t get any of it when I do the same coffee with a V60. I’ve also tasted it with some tourist trap Costa Rican beans brewed using a cloth dripper that a coworker bought, and from a vending machine that grinds and brews (terrible) coffee on demand. Any idea what that’s from?